What stories have you read multiple times?

NaperVic

For me, what separates a good story from a great story is whether I go back and re-read it. Sometimes I want a repeat of the same emotions I felt when I read a particular story, so to guarantee that same experience, I go back to what's tried and true.

For example, when I'm in the mood for some good space battles, I'll re-read one of DK's Dreams series. Or if I want a nice boy-meets-boy coming of age romance story, I'll read one of Dom's. I've also made it a tradition to read Dom's Under the Mistletoe around Christmas time. It's a feel good story that's season appropriate.

Here's a list of most of the stories I've re-read at least 2 or 3 times:

Crosscurrents by Adam Phillips

Dreams of Humanity by DKstories

Dreams of a Father by DKstories

Dessert Dropping by Domluka

The Lo(n)g Way by Domluka

The Ordinary Us by Domluka

Under the Mistletoe by Domluka

With Trust by Domluka

Human Condition by Jfinn

So what stories have you read multiple times? Do you have any 'go to' stories that you fall back on when you want to have a particular literary experience (and I'm not talking about any Nifty-quick fix type stuff Posted Image ).

Take Care,

Vic

On here, I've re-read DK's do over series and CJ's Let the Music Play.

I used to re-read books all the time. Partly to re-experience the best books, partly because it was a pain to go out and get new ones, and partly because, at the pace I read, it would have been prohibitively expensive to always get new ones. Now, I will still occasionally re-read a favorite book or series (Honor Harrington or Dahak novels by David Weber, Chaos Chronicles by Jeffrey Carver, Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams come to mind right away), but mostly I just download some of the top selling free SciFi e-books for Kindle.

• Like 1

Now, I will still occasionally re-read a favorite book or series (Honor Harrington or Dahak novels by David Weber, Chaos Chronicles by Jeffrey Carver, Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams come to mind right away)

I am an Honor Harrington fan, too! ^_^ and I love the Hitchhiker's guide. I told my kids at the start of the year that the cover of their book should say, "Don't Panic." They didn't get it, but my co-teacher did! lol

I have read every book in my library at least twice. Hard to give accurate titles because most of my books are tucked away in storage, but off the top of my head: the Pern books, brain ships, crystal singer, and Talent series by Anne McCaffrey, all the Star Wars books published up to around the year 2000, Dennis McKiernan's fantasy series, pretty much everything by Andre Norton, and this one book called Green Rider that I had to replace because I read it so much during a horse-crazy phase. :P

As for GA, I've read State of Mind twice (I'd bought it as an e-book before I found it here on the site and I was fascinated by the editing changes in the book version). I've read the Rider's Pride at least twice, same for 52 Panhead, A New Life, and Hello, Stupid.

• Like 1

Yikes, I'm not sure I want to travel down this road, but oh well. Let's start with least to first.

Castaway Hotel by Bill W, but I'm not sure if that really counts. The author himself re-tooled it. I actually started that one at NIfty and followed it here.

You Pass This Way But Once, also by Bill. A classic coming of age tale with a semi tragic ending.

Dom's Desert Dropping. To satisfy my inner "Rory Norick".

Dom's Ordinary Us. For some reason, it wasn't as good the 2nd time around. Quinn really needed to get his shit together.

Hanratty's Working It Out. A lot of it is very cliche, but at least there was the right amount of angst.

And finally the last one (or two actually) should be obvious. Jason Tellerman and Pete Gregory will be part of my life forever. I've read tons of gay fiction (mostly at Nifty, ack!) over the last ten years, and I can honestly say that I have never come across two gay male characters that were as well defined as they are. It's almost as if they are my two best friends, sitting right next to me. :)

• Like 1

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien

The Landover Series - Terry Brooks

The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowlings

I have a few books by Erma Bombeck which I read and reread just so I can laugh and know I am not the only one with problems.

Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Peanuts - Fun read and Charles Schultz had a great view of the world

Um, if the geek alert hadn't gone off for you yet - The complete second series of Wonder Woman from DC comics. I bought all the comics of that series that began in 87 and have read them all countless times. I liked the play on Greek Gods that George Perez introduced. Sorry, I'm a sucker for well written story and when he left there were good and bad till the series ended earlier this year.

I have the complete collection of the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. In case you couldn't tell I sort of like them.

I also have the complete works of Hans Christian Anderson. If you think his stories are happy tales you haven't read them.