Just a thought based on incomplete data at this point, but are all the "metallic-haired" folks gay, by any chance? If so, perhaps the silver-haired officer was a closet case -- he certainly seemed like he could be homophobic based on his response to Aaron and plenty of homophobic responses are fueled by internalized homophobia, although perhaps it was just his aversion to someone who had bucked the system. In any case, the abilities of the different hair colors and their limitations will be interesting to see.

Looking forward to learning more about Billy, too, and his apparent scientific leanings.

• 2 weeks later...

DK imagination is awesome, in every sense of the word. Welcome to a new DK's SF story Posted Image .

I always knew that a high school baseball game could be dangerousPosted Image .

I agree this is a nice surprise. I really missed DK's SF stories and this one is turning out to be really fun. Every time I think of it, I imagine I am playing Halo (the first one back in the day) for the first time. It's a beautiful story and I hope DK continues it.

• 2 weeks later...

This first "book" is complete - he has only been turning stories over to Myr when they are complete. Now, if you've read his previous stories, you know that he may write a second book in the same world and I personally hope he does so with this story as even though this has a satisfying ending (no spoilers), there is also obviously so much more he can do to explore this world he's created.

Please post it all soon, so I can read it for the next 48 hours without sleep, instead of waiting like a black Friday shopper outside of Best Buy Posted Image

I agree with Trebs, DK keep it going, heck if you continue this through several books or start side stories, I think a couple of us should try using the open source codes from either Halo or half life to make an interactive representation. (When I read this story, I keep thinking of my favorite pc and video games.)

• 1 month later...

Dan,

I take it from the responses or lack of said you don't venture over to the forum topic for your story. I am at chapter 7 but I have a question that you've touched on but didn't explain - sorry, as you know I'm a prosecutor and well my mind is kinda screwed up in that I need answers. 0:)

I sort of asked them in my review but this might be a better format for asking them

The whole hierarchy of Kai - I get that there is but one Ra Kai, on Volna Kai etc and that there are many lessers of the same name, but I don't get how that works. Suppose there was a Q-Kai - (me of course) whose talent was annoying the shit out of people and I begot several new Kais. What would happen? Would the eldest [call him QA Kai] be the one to get the name? Or do all the sons of Q get a name and the sons of those little Qs all take the name of their sire/line? Basically, do all the 'lesser' Kai lines have to be started by a son of a Kai or do they just emerge?

The other question is Petey. Supposedly he is a son Ra Kai, but isn't he also a Broma Kai? I mean he's green not red. So how does it work that he gets his name? Does it come from his 'talent'? Just a tad confused.

It is also interesting that there are only Red and Green sub Kais in the group, even though there are the head Kais from 3 other affinities among them - Purple, Silver and Gold. Hopefully that answer will shake out in time.

Oh yeah nice little twist. The Blue Gre Kais don't much like the Green Borah Kais and yet the Gre Kais are blue with names that start with G(reen) and the Borah Kais are Green but have names that start with B(lue). Did one affinity steal the color name from the other and that is what started the fight? :P

One of the curses of knowing the overall story arc is that I can't always remember in what chapter I introduced something. So, at the risk of SPOILERS, I'll give some answers (don't want spoilers, don't read further).

The Kai started out with crystalline form - basically living, sentient crystals that could move (Somewhat). Over time they moved from physcial to energy/spirit existence. The affinities have more to do with the colors of their original crystal forms that developed over time. It is an irony how the names correspond with the colors, but little more than that - just irony.

It also should be stressed that these are affinities, not limitations. Air can work with fire, water can work with earth. It's just they spend most of their focus on one set of aspects and that is where they are most skilled.

Regarding their social order and names - welll they're not really names. They are titles. One title is the leaders, the rest are followers. Some of the affinities never selected a leader - they considered themselves all to be equals with one another. When a 'leader' leaves this existence (dies), another steps up and takes their place (or is chosen). Ra Kai is the eldest, remembering what it was like to hold crystal form while the others don't remember it (I believe this concept should already have been introduced with Rhovar Kai - he took the place of the original Rhovar Kai).

There are other colors out there that haven't been introduced yet, and some that are only mentioned, never quite seen in this story (gotta leave something for the imagination or a sequel).

Another thing to remember about the Kai is that they are very hedonistic creatures. They are spoiled by the sensations of touch and smell especially. As they get older, and their host merges more and more with them, they are easily distracted. This is what keeps their society so static in some ways (there is also the fact that normally people are brought over at random AND they have never established a public education system).

There's a lot more there, and if I ever do write a sequel I've already got the basics of it plotted out in my head. The biggest hold up is that I have too many stories that need sequels first, and I've always got new stories popping into my head - new characters, new situations. In some ways i can be like a Kai - or a child - and get distracted by the shiny new thing suddenly in front of me.

• Like 3

On the issue of sequels, I totally understand. I've got several stories I'd like to write sequels to - or flesh out, but no time to do it, much less tackle the ones I still want to write. Who knew a kid was so much work :P

Just the same, very much enjoying this one. Will take a peek back at some of the others once I get a moment or two :)

Andy

Dan,

Sorry to muddy the waters a bit - but in Chapter 7 when discussing how Lt. Powers secretly wanted to shag with Hereford, he's referred to as General Hereford, then Colonel. In Chapter eight there is Colonel Miller - no idea who that is - and 'the General' Am I confused or this a bit of a name mix up.

Is Hereford the General in charge or a Colonel.

Who is Colonel Miller

and if Hereford isn't the General, who is?

I'm wondering where the French boys are Posted Image

While Great Britain had partial dominance over the seas only after the Seven Years' War, they were in constant competition with France for over 500 years to the point that the Kai's stopped taking people. The french are actually well known for umm...their "particular" taste Posted Image (Ask Mark Arbour about Louis' favorites and some of the more scandalous stories about French nobility). Also Montesqeiu, Rousseau, and Voltaire were all from the period, so I would say the French probably would be closer to the Americans of modern times. Also remember, in land battles, they kick ass like no one's business, especially if they have the Revolutionary spirit,

(come to think of it, the concept of the fighting spirit can be explained in a baseball example like the Red Sox in 2004 season, when we were down 3-0 aginst the Yankees only to turn it around during the last game and fought with our momentum to claw victory from the jaws of defeat, then keep doing it over and over again, because we believed we could win). Damn you DK and your baseball influenced stories are getting to me.

• 4 months later...
  • Site Administrator

This story is now complete.

• Like 1

Dan, I have loved reading your stories for years! I first found your writings in Nifty and then often referred to your website for new stories or chapters. Unfortunately I can no longer locate it anywhere on the internet. Did you discontinue your website? I can only find your stories (a few) here on GA. I know how hard you work on these and it is greatly appreciated. I have to say you are and will always be my favorite writer of gay themed stories. You are the best and I can't thank you enough for sharing a part of yourself that I know must often be mentally draining. Displacement has me hooked and it has actually influenced me to pay the monthly GA Premium dues so I can keep up with you.

Respectfully Yours,

A Dedicated Reader

PS: Thank you GA for your support of gay writers. All stories appear to be top quality allowing a great deal of talent to publish their gift in writing.