Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Costa Concordia disaster

• Site Administrator

Great points, but I'm astounded that a maritime lawyer didn't know that that Athens Convention has no legal impact in the US, because the US is not a signatory to it. Canada isn't a signatory either, but has incorporated the principals of it into its law. (the US has not).

Maybe I misquoted the lawyer :P Who can trust them anyways :D (hopes Quonus10 doesn't read this) .

I believe the jist of his point was that all cruise contracts cite the Athens Convention in them, and by signing on the dotted line you are saying you agree to the compensation set out by them, regardless of what country you sign them in.

But like you said, I'm sure someone will contest it, and it will be a long drawn out battle over jurisdiction and who the onus is on to interpret the 'contract' signed.

Not sure if you have a cruise contract lying around in your pen :P (Goats live in pens, don't they :unsure: ) and if it does in fact cite the Athens Convention. More of a personal curiosity than anything more.

Maybe also a side track from the topics original intent, so if you want to moderate me, please do so :D

• Haha 1

Great points, but I'm astounded that a maritime lawyer didn't know that that Athens Convention has no legal impact in the US, because the US is not a signatory to it. Canada isn't a signatory either, but has incorporated the principals of it into its law. (the US has not).

Neither is Italy btw. And the proposed European Union Law which is supposed to replace the Athens Convention in Europe will not become law until mid 2013 earliest.

The Athens Convention limits the liability for death or personal injury per passenger at SDR 46.666 (roughly € 55.100 or US$ 72.250) "unless the carrier acted with intent to cause such damage, or recklessly and with knowledge that such damage would probably result" - see: http://www.imo.org/A...-%28PAL%29.aspx

And I would surely classify the captain's behaviour as reckless.

Edited by StefanAustria
  • Like 1

Titantic has April 15th Tax Day

Concordia has Friday the thirteenth - Freddy's Kruger's Day

With the lights going out ... it sets the stage for a horror flick

Again Just like the Titanic ... New RULES!! ... LOL

I found out the ship is owned by Carnival (Miami)

like wow how many times Carnival gets into the news ... last time I remember was a new kind of virus on three cruise ships ...

http://www.latimes.c...1,6488138.story

Cruise industry adopts new safety rules after Concordia disaster

The cruise industry last week announced a key change in how ships conduct safety drills. Passengers now will be informed of safety protocols and emergency evacuation procedures, known as "mandatory musters," before ships leave port. (Here's the Passenger Muster Policy.)

Current legal requirements require the drill within 24 hours of passengers boarding the ship, but cruise major lines agreed to the change after the Costa Concordia disaster Jan. 13. Of the 4,200 passengers on board, 17 died and 15 remain missing in the ship partly submerged off the Tuscan coast.

http://news.smh.com....0213-1t05w.html

Costa Concordia fuel Pumping begins

Operations to pump thousands of litres of potentially hazardous fuel from the tanks of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia have begun, after weeks of delay caused by bad weather.

The emptying of 15 of the Concordia's fuel tanks - where 84 per cent of its roughly 2400 tonnes of fuel are stored - would require 28 working days, weather conditions permitting, officials say.

Anyone see the National Geographic on the Ships Disaster?

Wow it does have water tight compartments ... it suppose to be ok with two compartments like titanic with its four

but three of them were exposed to a 160 ft gash ... sounds very titanic (four plus one!!!) ... there she goes ...

The people on the ship can only remember the Movie Titanic ... with Celine Dion's Signature Song!!

Hey will the ship slip from its ledge down 300 ft to the bottom or will they be able to save the ship?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPA0LoGYp0

http://overheadbin.m...ompany-and-crew

Costa CEO says captain misled company and crew

CEO Pierluigi Foschi told Italian state TV that the company spoke to the captain at 10:05 p.m. , some 20 minutes after the ship ran aground on Jan. 13, but could not offer proper assistance because the captain's description "did not correspond to the truth," Reuters reported.

Capt. Francesco Schettino said only that he had "problems" on board but did not mention hitting rocks.

Worries in paradise

Concordia lies dangerously close to a drop-off point on the sea bottom. Should strong waves nudge the vessel from its precarious perch, it could plunge some 20-30 meters (65-90 feet), further complicating the pumping operation and possibly rupturing fuel tanks. Italy's environment minister has warned that if those tanks break, globs of fuel would block sunlight vital for marine life at the seabed.

Should Francesco Schettino get the Captain Smith Award??

30 / 4200 => 0.71%

798 / 1503 => 53.1%

Can we say even with Murphy Laws in effect ... only 0.71% was lost ... that's pretty good compared ... that's 26 times better than Titanic. ( 53.1% / 1.99% => 26 times better in 100 years )

So with the new rules in place are they trying to get this down to Zero% or even prevent this kind of disaster from happening?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the news and it sounds like you are writing it....

"More than a thousand people are awaiting rescue on the Costa Allegra cruise ship after a fire broke out on board causing the luxury liner to lose power.

The ship is adrift in the Indian Ocean more than 200 miles from the Seychelles island nation off mainland Africa, an area that is infested by pirates. " from ABC News.

I hope they don't have the adventure that Trevor has had in Circumnavigation!

• Like 1

What is bothering me is ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR DAMN MINDS reporting the ship's position? Basically, they just rang the dinner bell for the pirates; it's hard getting on board a ship like that when it's at speed, but far easier when dead in the water.

They don't need to take it anywhere; just get aboard and they have a thousand hostages. Reporting the ship's position (Costa was nice enough to do this in an early press release) is nothing short of insane IMHO. Why put those people at far greater risk for no good reason?

And yeah, this isn't far from where Trevor was hit. Not the worst area for pirates, but they do hit ships in those waters sometimes, and the Costa Allegra is now a sitting duck.

• Wow 1

a sitting ... baaaa baaaa baaaa is more like it ...

ducks fly ... have u not seen the mighty duck V maneuver

nor can u call them turkeys ... benjamin franklin will tell you how brave they are

What is bothering me is ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR DAMN MINDS reporting the ship's position? Basically, they just rang the dinner bell for the pirates; it's hard getting on board a ship like that when it's at speed, but far easier when dead in the water.

They don't need to take it anywhere; just get aboard and they have a thousand hostages. Reporting the ship's position (Costa was nice enough to do this in an early press release) is nothing short of insane IMHO. Why put those people at far greater risk for no good reason?

And yeah, this isn't far from where Trevor was hit. Not the worst area for pirates, but they do hit ships in those waters sometimes, and the Costa Allegra is now a sitting duck.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

why isn't he in jail for 2500 years of hard labor or made to walk the plank (lol johnny depp did it)

Costa Concordia: Disgraced Captain Francesco Schettino Released From House Arrest

At least 30 people died in the accident and another two people are still missing and are believed to be dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eezC-uzXBRs

Edited by hh5
  • Wow 1
  • 5 months later...

UPDATE: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57559311/costa-concordia-salvaging-a-shipwreck/

They won't decided not to refloat the ship during summer 2012 but will do it in 2013

They will build a platform to prevent the ship from rolling into sea

They will attach many giant metal box along the sides of the ship in efforts to refloat rather than dynamite the ship because its a nature preserve

http://www.ecology.com/2012/06/19/costa-concordia-salvage-operation-begins/

page-635x270.jpeg

This is going to be exciting to see on TV ... RAISE THE CONCORDIA!! (its twice the size of titanic!!)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..