Open Club  ·  285 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I would be willing to bet that Calvert, for the rest of his life, is wishing he could have arrived earlier. The death of part of this noble crew and their ship was hard on everybody. Just watch how Calvert reacts to the dieing ship. How he tells Fritzwiilliam of Humpheys death. Calvert lost a ship before. Grangers ship This is the second ship he has seen die. These are his crew. part of him. He know the wounded and the dead. How could he has gotten there faster? Must be on his mind. It must be like he has let down Lord Granger and the crew.

Of course he traveled as fast as he could and did not know the situation, therefore not to blame, he saved over a hundred men, maybe more and the treasure, but still this could haunt him.

• Like 2

You and I think maybe Ricky to, seem to be suffering from the same ailment. For some reason these bouts seem to have become more frequent since the start of the Odyssey. Now, some home remedies for calming an upset stomach are baking soda, mint leaves, cinnamon and saltine crackers, to name but a few. Of course a good over the counter remedy is Pepto Bismal. To try and reduce the frequency of these episodes a change in diet might be in order. It is generally believed that eating less Crow would be of great benifit to the both of you and your stomachs.

Best wishes

Sandrewn

• Like 1

Blah, Bleck, Ugh; the sounds of me vomiting.....

ya, exactly. The guy is dysfunctional on a grand scale. Needy, clingy and smothering. Completely self centered when it cums to relationships.

You and I think maybe Ricky to, seem to be suffering from the same ailment. For some reason these bouts seem to have become more frequent since the start of the Odyssey. Now, some home remedies for calming an upset stomach are baking soda, mint leaves, cinnamon and saltine crackers, to name but a few. Of course a good over the counter remedy is Pepto Bismal. To try and reduce the frequency of these episodes a change in diet might be in order. It is generally believed that eating less Crow would be of great benifit to the both of you and your stomachs.

Best wishes

Sandrewn

Well, birds of a feather stick together. Calvert is as likable as maidstone. His ONLY redeeming quality is that he has the key to granger's pants and we get to watch.

ya, exactly. The guy is dysfunctional on a grand scale. Needy, clingy and smothering. Completely self centered when it cums to relationships.

Are you sure you are talking about Calvert or you looking into a big ass mirror?  Just kidding bro!!!!!!   Well maybe a little.   :hug:

Well, birds of a feather stick together. Calvert is as likable as maidstone. His ONLY redeeming quality is that he has the key to granger's pants and we get to watch.

I rest my case....   

Are you sure you are talking about Calvert or you looking into a big ass mirror?  Just kidding bro!!!!!!   Well maybe a little.   :hug:

Cum to Virgina and I'll show you just how functional I can be. lol

:rolleyes:

Damn, I just hate when Sharon is wrong; I mean she is almost perfect so it really pains me...  Obviously Santa Clarita is a blessed ship and was able to accomplish all that it did without anyone really being in charge...  I think they should consult the Pope or at the very least the Archbishop of Canterbury

Saint clare, Feast day is 11th August. Patron of sore eyes and now also of television. Some claim that she was able to cure stomach ailments. It is rumored that she had a pet crow named, of all things Hairy Ricky, believe it or not.

Damn, I just hate when Sharon is wrong; I mean she is almost perfect so it really pains me...  Obviously Santa Clarita is a blessed ship and was able to accomplish all that it did without anyone really being in charge...  I think they should consult the Pope or at the very least the Archbishop of Canterbury

I too, would hate it when Sharon is wrong.  In theory.

To my knowledge it has not yet happened

• Like 3

I really like the Hornblower series but think one made from the Bridgemont series would be even better...  Maybe get Showtime or HBO to put it on; I guess PBS might if Channel 4 in England would do the original and replay it on PBS...

• Like 1

An engaging chapter Mark. I suspect Granger will be spotted by someone who he met in Toulin and will not want to see such an honorable man in the hands of the revolutionaries. Perhaps he will be permitted to escape in the night with some select men and be intercepted by Santa Clarita who should only be a short distance behind them. Being a Peer, the French are as likely to take his head figuring they are doing the English commoners a favor. In any case, it is unlikely he will be treated with any favor unless the captain of this vessel is old school.

It is going to be an anxious wait to see what will become of our favorite character. It seems that Granger's world has exploded with his cadre of confederates blown to opposite ends of the world. Winkler and Jacobs in England or Gibraltar Calvert some ways to the south, Jardines in Egypt, and his family ensconced in safety at home. At least there is that.

Were the New French Republic as eager to exchange or parole officers? I am not familiar enough with the history of England or France to know the answer but after beheading the King, it seems that all civilized acts of war also ceased to exist. Since there were no longer French peers in charge, therefore there were no gentlemen one would assume.

• Like 1

Hmmm, well that didn't get a rise out of anyone. So how about this. A series on 'Hornblower' (youtube). It starts off in 1793. No it's not Granger, but it is somewhat interesting all the same. If you watch it (them) it will fill the waiting time.

An excellent series. I have all 8 episodes and watch them often. Ian is as hot as they come. Reminds be a bit of Llewelyn as I would picture him grown up. Except the eyebrows aren't devilish enough.

An excellent series. I have all 8 episodes and watch them often. Ian is as hot as they come. Reminds be a bit of Llewelyn as I would picture him grown up. Except the eyebrows aren't devilish enough.

I agree with you Rickester!   The only thing I didn't care for in the TV version was that in the books Hornblower was always questioning himself, but that TV version he didn't seem to have any self doubt.  Hornblower was always doing the heroic and bravest of things while fighting with his self doubt questioning his ever action.  The TV version didn't show any of that self doubt.  I think that was what made his action so amazing to me was his lack of confidence in himself.

• Like 2

I agree with you Rickester!   The only thing I didn't care for in the TV version was that in the books Hornblower was always questioning himself, but that TV version he didn't seem to have any self doubt.  Hornblower was always doing the heroic and bravest of things while fighting with his self doubt questioning his ever action.  The TV version didn't show any of that self doubt.  I think that was what made his action so amazing to me was his lack of confidence in himself.

I guess I'll have to read the text version. It sounds delightful. Thanks Jimmy. If it isn't electronic then my screen reader isn't as helpful.

That's a very apt observation, and I completely agree with you.  I think that is exactly what is wrong with the television miniseries, so when I watch them, I have to divorce myself from the idea that it's "made from the book" and just to look at it as an entirely different story.

Were the New French Republic as eager to exchange or parole officers? I am not familiar enough with the history of England or France to know the answer but after beheading the King, it seems that all civilized acts of war also ceased to exist. Since there were no longer French peers in charge, therefore there were no gentlemen one would assume.

Parole was very common in those days, although I haven't done a lot of research on it, other than to note that it happened frequently.  Both of the officers captured on the real Leander were paroled almost immediately.  They were landed in Trieste and made their way overland, ultimately to England.  Nelson himself would go back to England via the overland route. 

• Like 1

I had to take off yesterday before I got to the forum.  I really enjoyed this chapter.  I thought the fighting and destruction on the ships were so well written and really put us all in the middle of the battle.  Everytime we meet someone and they die quickly; I end up thinking, what would this person have added to the story down the line...

My understanding of the situation is the same as Mark; officers or nobility were often released quite quickly in relation to the ordinary sailor.  In this case, the officers were released post haste but the sailors were actually forced to help repair the ships, which was against the norm of the day; and did not get released until freed by a Russian naval force that went into battle against the French and defeated them at Corfu in 1799. 

Just a note, Santa Clarita is in the Atlantic and no where near where Granger is at this time.  There would be no reason for that ship to enter into the Mediterranean Sea.  The HMS Mutine actually was the second ship sent to carry the news of the British victory at the Battle of the NIle and it arrived first with the news.  Berry and Thompson both actually were rewarded because of how well they fought and both were given additional commands.  Some historians have argued that had Thompson mainted the sails as they cleared the island, that he would have been able to outrun the ship.  However, no one would ever be able to really prove this so who knows....

Outstanding chapter, Mark...  I can't wait for Granger to get on his way.  I bet that gold does come in handy however, I wonder if that was Winkler or Granger's idea???

Edited by centexhairysub
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..