Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Coming from anyone else but you, that would be a worry.

With Granger's sense a fairness, I think he will set things right with regards to the sharing of prize money with Calvert. I am disappointed that Calvert could think otherwise. I wonder if Calvert will take what is left of Granger's crew and the officers onto his ship? I can't see Granger(being allowed) going to sea anytime soon.

I look forward to George finally getting home, yet dread the fast approach of this Odyssey coming to full circle. Thinking positive, there has to be an end, to allow for a new beginning.

Things already ARE right with Calvert.  Equal shares of the captain's portion.  He has since been awarded the share normally apportioned upwards, and in the context of the times I'm not sure the Son of an Earl and a current Viscount would see anything wrong in that social order.  The reason Calvert winced was, that he wouldn't dream of upsetting that social order by asking for the upper share too.

• Like 1

This was one of the first stories I saw when I started reading here and I was tempted, but also hesitant because I noticed I had a lot of reading to do before I could catch up with the new updates. I love history and I´ve always been interested in British history.....and so here I´m now, reading about George Granger´s adventures and enjoying it so far....and I´ve already gotten till chapter 4 of the first book :*)

• Like 1

Things already ARE right with Calvert.  Equal shares of the captain's portion.  He has since been awarded the share normally apportioned upwards, and in the context of the times I'm not sure the Son of an Earl and a current Viscount would see anything wrong in that social order.  The reason Calvert winced was, that he wouldn't dream of upsetting that social order by asking for the upper share too.

You put it so succinctly.

The Admiralty is treating Granger as if he were a commodore, commanding a squadron of two ships, which is both reasonable, and true.  It makes complete sense that they'd award him the flag officer's share.  On the other hand, for ships operating outside the orders of an admiral (as Bacchante was), the flag officer's share would be allocated to the captain.  So what the Admiralty did is technically correct, but I think that if Granger were there, he would probably be inclined to split the other 50,000 pounds. 

This was one of the first stories I saw when I started reading here and I was tempted, but also hesitant because I noticed I had a lot of reading to do before I could catch up with the new updates. I love history and I´ve always been interested in British history.....and so here I´m now, reading about George Granger´s adventures and enjoying it so far....and I´ve already gotten till chapter 4 of the first book :*)

So glad to have you with us!

• Like 2

You put it so succinctly.

The Admiralty is treating Granger as if he were a commodore, commanding a squadron of two ships, which is both reasonable, and true.  It makes complete sense that they'd award him the flag officer's share.  On the other hand, for ships operating outside the orders of an admiral (as Bacchante was), the flag officer's share would be allocated to the captain.  So what the Admiralty did is technically correct, but I think that if Granger were there, he would probably be inclined to split the other 50,000 pounds. 

Well, actually the flag officers share would be allocated to the person signing the orders, unless those orders came from the admiralty.  Granger was NOT working under admiralty orders, he was under direct orders from the Privy council.  That eighth would properly have been awarded to the King (actually, to the privy purse - there are examples of this being the case for ships transporting foreign heads of state, but I need to look up the reference) and so I would imagine it being spun that this £50,000 was a personal gift from the King in recognition of heroic deeds, no?

West 

I've been reading your stories for over five years, I started with the CAP saga because I love history, I used to live in Ohio, and remember the Kennedy Assassination. Over the years I have grown to love those characters ( JP, Stef, Brad, Will and the others). Some time later I started reading about our 15yo hero, George Granger. Up to this point my first love was always JP and his family. Now I  can't say that anymore. It's like the song torn between two lovers.  Honestly what pushed me over the edge was the chapters about Winkler and Jacobs both on the ship and later on their trek to London. They became more than supporting characters. They were the story. Again I must say this is some of your best work. I hoped they would get through to Lady Granger. This last chapter was marvelous. It answered to many questions. I agree we are getting to the end of this story. That is always sad, but to see George safely home will make up for it. And we as readers know you can't keep our hero penned up in Paris or even at home in London. He must be at sea, wanting to be home, to be happy.  That's who he is.

On another line of thought, I did some research. Spencer continued as First Lord until St Vincent took over in 1801. So George should be safe for a while.

Edited by rjo

Regarding the prize money. Let's not forget that they had an agreement to split what they got evenly. To my recollection, that did not have the finite parameters of just while they were apart with calvert going for naval stores. If that was the case then the money they got for delivering (or selling it back) would not have been grangers but Calverts. So I'm thinking that Granger will make things a little more than normally fair going back to the officers and Calvert with some compensation not due them. After all, a deal is a deal.

As for the story coming to a conclusion, Lord Arbour has already said there is a lot more history to write about and that Granger will be in it so the only question is will he be more self conscious regarding the name he picks for the next book. After all, Mutiny didn't work out nearly as well as Odessy. lol

The Prince of Wales said he would take care of Granger's kids if anything happened to him. I expect that Lady Granger will get a visit from the Prince himself when word gets out that Granger has been captured. If nothing more than to reassure her that everything that can be done is being done and that her families needs are going to be met. Just the fact that he would visit her will bump her up in stature I am sure. And with the King asking her to come, I have to wonder if he is going to break the news to her. It seems the first lord has done the prep work playing, "the cats on the roof and we can't get her down" sorta scenario. (I'm sure many will not understand that reference but its an old joke. If it needs clarification let me know.) 

Anyways, he was rushed to let her know the current state of things. I'm thinking he was doing it before she found out another way. I'm sure his beard is still a little tender.

And Suvitar, be welcome. It amazes me how many straight women love m/m sex. But there are quite a few on this site. So be welcome! So glad to have you with us.

• Like 2

Of course Calvert now has a ship and who knows how long George will be delayed.  Calvert could be back out to sea before George gets home.  And like Westie said, it appears they all will come out fairly rich for the time.  

• Like 2

Of course Calvert now has a ship and who knows how long George will be delayed.  Calvert could be back out to sea before George gets home.  And like Westie said, it appears they all will come out fairly rich for the time.  

I agree. Lord St Vincent already said he would like to have him back again. I suspect that request will be favored.

so daddydavek,  . . . uhm what are "Go Cards"? Is that a code for some vague straight sports thing?

Ricky...  I like your pov. The royalty or part of them making sure their offspring is doing well and socially not being ridicualised but seen as okay for the royal family..

And since Lord Grangers last actions known to the public were very ... very ... succesfull... I think it would be a very reasonable thing to do.

But Mark might see this different.... though I think/I hope he would like your point of view ...

I also hope he will continue this story a lot faster... for since Lord Granger was taken hostage... his story... has slowed down a lot...

But maybe  Mark is  building up  a series of  new chapters...  or a new story...  !

Ricky...  I like your pov. The royalty or part of them making sure their offspring is doing well and socially not being ridicualised but seen as okay for the royal family..

And since Lord Grangers last actions known to the public were very ... very ... succesfull... I think it would be a very reasonable thing to do.

But Mark might see this different.... though I think/I hope he would like your point of view ...

I also hope he will continue this story a lot faster... for since Lord Granger was taken hostage... his story... has slowed down a lot...

But maybe  Mark is  building up  a series of  new chapters...  or a new story...  !

Actually, Mark is busy.  This is not atypical for mid-semester (fall and spring), where I get overwhelmed by the real world and my writing suffers.  It is what it is.  But I do come back and pick things up when I can, so hang in there. 

• Like 1

Anyone who believes Mark Arbour gets overwhelmed, realizes its only from Mark's point of view.  He still out-posts just about everyone on the site and to do it with two major stories in two disparate centuries is nothing short of superhuman.  So his loyal fans will just have to make do with what we get until his lordship, gets his mojo back in his own mind.   Of course he is also into hockey and possibly looks in on the Cardinals in the World Series, so he does have some distractions outside of the classroom as well.  (Just guessing!)

• Like 2

Anyone who believes Mark Arbour gets overwhelmed, realizes its only from Mark's point of view.  He still out-posts just about everyone on the site and to do it with two major stories in two disparate centuries is nothing short of superhuman.  So his loyal fans will just have to make do with what we get until his lordship, gets his mojo back in his own mind.   Of course he is also into hockey and possibly looks in on the Cardinals in the World Series, so he does have some distractions outside of the classroom as well.  (Just guessing!)

Hockey? Really? Hmmmm, I guess he really IS bi then.

rotflmao

• Like 3

Whatever happened to the 200,000 in silver that Calvert picked up?  Is he planning to blow it all on a Bahamas vac?  I'm pretty sure he hadn't transferred it to Baccante.  I don't remember him saying anything about it, for that matter.  Maybe he did and I just missed it... :unsure:

• Like 1

A fantastic Chapter Mark. Loved it. Of course that could be partly the fast too.. . Nah, it was great. Full of meat and Potatoes.

Now, for my thoughts on it. I'm glad Granger has company and Eastwyck will endure less hardship by being with him. Let's hope they are paroled soon.

Now the horrors. Caroline can be the equivalent to a social guillotine for them both. Let's hope they find a way to stem her anger. But then there is Winkler. I think it may be best that they are leaving. I'm sure he has a knife. And something tells me his tongue can be just as sharp. Neither of them are aware that in Granger's eyes he's just as soon be with someone else. Calvert is too needy and thus high risk. I suspect it will not be such a shock. But he'll not wish either of them discomfort. They both have found enduring love. Granger will be able to see that. And I think he will be happy that he can safely extricate himself from the relationship without hurting Calvert.

IF they survive what ever her Ladyship does to them. Perhaps Caroline will see a refection of her own anger in Winkler in the next chapter and regain her composure and see the light. You can't always choose who you love.

• Like 1

Actually, Mark is busy.  This is not atypical for mid-semester (fall and spring), where I get overwhelmed by the real world and my writing suffers.  It is what it is.  But I do come back and pick things up when I can, so hang in there. 

Hi Mark

I was glad to find and read another beautifull Odyssey chapter !

I do like the reaction of Caroline... not how she reacted but...  in the heat of the moment she showed she cares for Granger... but...

Also this way she showed she does not know him any longer so well....

Her affair should have been a warning for her... that she lost contact with him... and now she interferes in Grangers relations with his friends/lovers ... and she does not understand these affairs... so  I guess this will mean troubles in the future...

For Granger ... I think his friends and lovers are very dear to him and...  he knows that he will see them only for a short time as he is a Captain and most of his sexual friends are officers on other ships... And that there is so little time they can be together... Now Calvert is a Captain... Granger and Calvert are/will be ...  no longer a couple... and I think that is what Caroline missed.... I hope Caroline will see her error soon... but... I guess that is more for Granger to find out and correct...

But as long as this is not solved... I guess this will be a sad time for Granger and Calvert and Gatling...

Again a very good chapter and the way you made Caroline act ... It will add more personal views, conflicts and some extra drama to the story... I guess as Granger will find out why his friends are....   unreachable for him...

I hope I'll find a new chapter soon...

Keep writing I hope you'll have a new chapter soon

What an interesting chapter!  I don't really understand Caroline's reaction to Calvert and Gatling.  One would have thought she would have been pleased with the recent developments, but no, she goes ballistic because they are pulling away from George.  How she gets treason out of it I don't know.  I think she's over reacting...

Glad to see that George has new company for his stay in France!  It was only a matter of time...

Thank you, Mark,  you've read my mind and sent us a new chapter! :2thumbs:

What an interesting chapter!  I don't really understand Caroline's reaction to Calvert and Gatling.  One would have thought she would have been pleased with the recent developments, but no, she goes ballistic because they are pulling away from George.  How she gets treason out of it I don't know.  I think she's over reacting...

Glad to see that George has new company for his stay in France!  It was only a matter of time...

Thank you, Mark,  you've read my mind and sent us a new chapter! :2thumbs:

Ya, I've been checking about once every hour for the last three days. lol Was kinda glad to get a taste of the sea again myself.

And Clydee, I'll tell you the same as I tell my son when he says he can't understand his girlfriend.

In short, "There's a REASON I'm gay." :lmao:

• Like 1

The reunion in Paris between Lord Granger and Eastwyck was one of those moments which I will always remember. Two lost souls. We can forget that they are like birds in a golden cage. Only some 250 miles north is home. So close yet so far. It is very good they are together very good.

As for Caroline, Lady Granger, does not know what we know. George is alive and safe, and living in comfort. What is needed is news from Paris that he is safe. I really don't see Caroline or Winkler hurting Calvert or Gatling. George would be very unhappy if they did. It is not his style. If he can forgive Freddie and Davina he will forgive Calvert and Gatling. I know that Lord Grangers returning home will bring this book to the end, or at lest the beginning of the end. Still George needs to return home. It is too hard of all of them, waiting, wondering, and worrying. So I add my voice to your other readers let our hero go home. Thank you Mark for one of the best chapters in the saga.

Edited by rjo

I think that if we were to dive into Caroline's psyche, we'd see a woman who totally internalizes her role as the guardian of George's interests.  She's the kind of person to interpret that broadly, so she'd see his extramarital relationships with men as part of his overall happiness.  She also undoubtedly carries an enormous amount of guilt over her own affair and the damage it caused to her and George (and possibly to her body, if those rumors are true, and she can't have more children), and to how miserable his homecoming was after St. Vincent.  I can see her doing everything she can to make sure that this time, nothing messes that up. 

So as far as she knows, George is on his way home, and things are pretty hunky-dory.  Then all of a sudden, she finds out that George is, at best, a prisoner.  It is possible that he was killed in the battle, and possible that he was wounded.  She doesn't know his fate.  At the same time, she becomes aware that if he does make it home, he'll look to Calvert as one of the pillars of his happiness, and Calvert will reject him because he's got a new lover.  Caroline doesn't care about Calvert's happiness, she cares about George.  So once again, George will come home, and find that one of the people that he loves the most has betrayed and rejected him (as she sees it). 

She's pissed off at Calvert, but she's even more pissed off at herself.

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 2

I agree with you about Caroline. She was worryed about George. Now she is worried even more. It is not knowing that is the hardest. Up here in Minnesota we have a young man who as taken from his family some 20 years ago. His mother is afraid of moving and changing the phone number in hopes that her son would try to come home. Even if that is hopeless maybe there is a chance he is still alive. It is like that with Caroline worrying about her husband. Mark please don't draw this out for 20 years. There is no doubt she loves George. No doubt she will do everything she can to may sure he is happy.

Edited by rjo

I still think George will try to make things even (prize wise) with Calvert. I've tried a variety of searches, but I think that I have not found the right question to ask (so far). What are the possible honors they may give George after all that he has accomplished on this voyage? Literally, he has done something positive for every one that counts back home and the mob loves him. Thanks again for the latest chapter that at last garnered the many (the most to date) reviews it (you) well deserved.

I still think George will try to make things even (prize wise) with Calvert. I've tried a variety of searches, but I think that I have not found the right question to ask (so far). What are the possible honors they may give George after all that he has accomplished on this voyage? Literally, he has done something positive for every one that counts back home and the mob loves him. Thanks again for the latest chapter that at last garnered the many (the most to date) reviews it (you) well deserved.

He'll probably be elevated to Earldom at least.  I would, anyway!  With his string of successes plus his work at the Nile, a Dukedom might even be possible.  We'll see if King George agrees!

• Like 1

He'll probably be elevated to Earldom at least.  I would, anyway!  With his string of successes plus his work at the Nile, a Dukedom might even be possible.  We'll see if King George agrees!

I was thinking the same thing. However knowing our author (and helper) is that to obvious as the implied forth coming honor(s). Also I worry that the higher he goes (advances within the peerage), the less likely it is that they will give him a ship (frigate / 74) and send him where? He has acted as Captain of the Fleet with distinction and just prior to that on a mission of the highest importance that by its end had him acting as a Commodore to complete said enterprise also with spectacular results. I want there to be a next book to this series.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..