Any Good Fantasy Suggestions?

TetRefine

So I've been on a big fantasy reading kick lately since I'm currently experiencing the most boring summer of my short life. :P I used to hate fantasy because the only kind I had been exposed to was the cheesy and cliche 'charming prince sets off to rescue the princess and slays a few dragons and trolls and has zero chance of dying'. Then when I was in the book store not too long ago I stumbled across The Way of Shadows, by Brent Weeks which is the first book in The Night Angel trilogy. Long story short, something compelled me to pick it up and I did. I became absolutely hooked. It had many dark themes, sex scenes, politics, intrigue, human suffering, and the author actually killed off important characters! It blew every misconception I had about the fantasy genre out the window.

Anyways, I'm getting close to finishing the trilogy and I'd like to continue in the genre for a little while. Does anyone have any good suggestions in fantasy that has more of the dark/political/suspense theme then the corny 'prince saves princess' theme? What about George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire & Ice series? I've heard good things about it but I wanted to know if anyone here had read it or anything like it.

I am currently reading Game of Thrones, which is first of the Fire & Ice series. Definitely not in the "charming prince and slays dragons" class. I'm hooked on it. It was a little confusing at first because there are a lot of characters and quite a bit of intrigue and betrayals and plotting and all that good stuff. I highly recommend it. The other fantasy books I like are the NightRunner series and the Tamir Triad by Lynn Flewelling, but they are a little softer than what you have described liking to read.

You could check out Name of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Slow start, but after the first couple chapters it's amazing. Or, The Red Shirts by John Scalzi if you're a Star Trek fan.

If you like dark, depressing, unhappy stories A Song of Fire and Ice will make you, uh, happy. The Monarchies of God books by Paul Kearney might be your style too. I haven't finished the last volume yet so I dunno how many important characters get killed off but it seems to be setting itself up for a dark ending. The Tears of Artamon series by Sarah Ash is pretty grim too. It's set in a fantasy world based off of 18th century Russia (as best as I remember from reading the first book like 4 years ago) so even the setting is bleak and depressing. Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk maybe.

Wow, that's all from one book cabinet too. For someone who usually avoids dark, down books like the plague I sure end up with a lot of them >_<

EDIT: God, how could I forget the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb? Not as depressing as some of the other ones but still pretty grim. Especially Tawny Man. The Fool is a pretty tragic character.

Edited by Cyhort
  • Like 1

You might also try Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series. There are 3 books in the series and the hero's of the story are anything but heroic. Anti-heroic might be the most accurate description. There's a lot of intrigue in the novels, some pretty dark humor spread throughout, enough action to keep it interesting, and enough characters with some pretty dark flaws to keep you involved.

I'd also suggest the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Again, the main characters have some pretty heavy flaws. There is a lot of dark humor throughout. And I found Sanderson's new type of 'magic' system an interesting concept. It's not the typical magic system you find in most fantasy books and has some serious drawbacks with it's use and what it can do.

I started reading Game of thrones (still own it) but got tired by the second or third book of the randomly changing characters per chapter....

I recommend, L.E. Moddesitt's Imager series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, or David Edding's various series, except the Dreamers series....

Sarah Monette's Mélusine is the first novel in her Doctrine of Labyrinths series and is seriously one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. There are two main characters, one of whom is gay, so that's a plus. Its about a wizard Felix and the former assassin Mildmay.

It is completely original, incredibly well written behind a great story and a vivid and rich setting. I have been extolling the virtues of the entire series for a long time and entreat everyone to check it out. It is difficult to find though, so I suggest Amazon.

Edited by ashessnow

• Site Administrator

I really enjoyed The Wheel of Time stories. It's definitely not your typical fantasy male/female dynamic in the story.

A few suggestions-

Tanya Huff - the 'Blood' series and maybe the 'Smoke and Shadows' series - you'll soon know whether they're to your taste.

Robin Hobb - 'Tawny Man' series.

E E 'Doc' Smith' - 'Skylark' series - a blast from the past space opera but the evil guy plays a pivotal role.

James Schmitz - 'Witches of Karres' - nothing dark about this one but there's a wonderful quirkiness about the story. - once again you'll soon know whether you like it or not.

Raymond Feist - Enjoyable as George Martin's 'Game of Thrones' is , it's left in the dust by 'Magician' and some of the follow ons.

My top 3 would be (in no particular order)

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Song of Fire and ice by G.R.R. Martin

Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erikson

Feist is decent but the quality drops off after a few books and some are quite horrible. Magician and Daughter of the Empire are awesome though!

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind is good as well (there's a bit of a lull in like the 4th or so book but if you push through it it's awesome)

David Eddings is..fantasy light. I enjoyed them a lot as a teenager but kind of outgrew the simplicity eventually.

Patrick Rothfuss deserves mention as well. The name of the Wind was awesome and part 2 is supposed to be even better

Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora is another favorite of mine :)

hmm I've got tons more but Ill refrain from listing my entire library, hehe.

• Like 1

My top 3 would be (in no particular order)

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Song of Fire and ice by G.R.R. Martin

Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erikson

Feist is decent but the quality drops off after a few books and some are quite horrible. Magician and Daughter of the Empire are awesome though!

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind is good as well (there's a bit of a lull in like the 4th or so book but if you push through it it's awesome)

David Eddings is..fantasy light. I enjoyed them a lot as a teenager but kind of outgrew the simplicity eventually.

Patrick Rothfuss deserves mention as well. The name of the Wind was awesome and part 2 is supposed to be even better

Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora is another favorite of mine Posted Image

hmm I've got tons more but Ill refrain from listing my entire library, hehe.

I really enjoyed The Wheel of Time stories. It's definitely not your typical fantasy male/female dynamic in the story.

I've read Erikson, but I don't remember the book,

Agreed With Fiest, one of my favorite Authors but at times his books are kind of not that good...Though I did enjoy the last two series that I read.

Terry Goodkind, you're right it does drop off about the 4th book...lol

The Lies of Loc Lamorra, and it's sequal, Red Seas under Red Skies are like some of my favorite books...At times hillarious, at times heartbreaking...

Wheel of Time has quite a few fans, My best friends girlfriend and I end up practically in our own world when we discuss it...lol

Edited by Celethiel

I've been reading Robin Hobb lately and like her Realm of the Elderlings trilogies a lot. The Tawny Man is the third trilogy. If you want want to start at the beginning with the characters, first read The Assassin's Apprentice from the Farseer trilogy.

I read Hobb a long time ago and something just put me off the books, even though I shed a tear or two for the fool Posted Image

The Fool totally broke my heart. That's why I can't read any more of her books, no matter how good they sound. I can't forgive her for kicking my in the gut like that.

Dammit, now I need to go read something happy.

I got through the first four books of " Song of Ice and Fire" without any problems. I put down the fifth book "A Dance With Dragons" after about 100 pages and haven't picked it up since, and am not likely to finish it.

I haven't tried Weeks or Sanderson yet, and was too young to really come to grips with G.R.R.Martin last time I tried him and have always steered clear of RObert Jordan because I was afraid of making a commitment to something that big... I guess you can say i read somewhere between fantasy light and the hardcore stuff.

I would suggest Anne Bishop's Dark Jewels Trilogy! Very dark and violent (lots of gore and sex and ewwws), but I love the politics and the viciousness, and it's so complex and detailed. Fabulous books :D Also, lots of sequels.

Also, I really enjoyed the Hythrun Chronicles by Jennifer Fallon. It's possibly half way to Fantasy Light, but it's also got some great politics in it - and a woman who kills off most her husbands. What's not to like? :D

Agree that the Fool is one of the most amazing Tragic characters ever - Robin Hobb is pretty amazing!

Also agree that Magician by Feist is great (as well as Honoured Enemy and Mistess of the Empire) but I really do find that he gets carried away with his own cleverness to the point that he ruins the series after a while. Read it, by all means, but stop before the end........

I haven't tried Weeks or Sanderson yet, and was too young to really come to grips with G.R.R.Martin last time I tried him and have always steered clear of RObert Jordan because I was afraid of making a commitment to something that big... I guess you can say i read somewhere between fantasy light and the hardcore stuff.

I would suggest Anne Bishop's Dark Jewels Trilogy! Very dark and violent (lots of gore and sex and ewwws), but I love the politics and the viciousness, and it's so complex and detailed. Fabulous books Posted Image Also, lots of sequels.

Also, I really enjoyed the Hythrun Chronicles by Jennifer Fallon. It's possibly half way to Fantasy Light, but it's also got some great politics in it - and a woman who kills off most her husbands. What's not to like? Posted Image

Agree that the Fool is one of the most amazing Tragic characters ever - Robin Hobb is pretty amazing!

Also agree that Magician by Feist is great (as well as Honoured Enemy and Mistess of the Empire) but I really do find that he gets carried away with his own cleverness to the point that he ruins the series after a while. Read it, by all means, but stop before the end........

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Curses!!

Anne Bishop sounds fun, definately going to look into that! Dont balk at Wheel of Time though, it may be big, long and unfinished but it is WELL worth the time. Al´Lan Mandragoran can ward me any time he wants.

Posted Image

Edited by Sympathia
  • Like 1

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Curses!!

Anne Bishop sounds fun, definately going to look into that! Dont balk at Wheel of Time though, it may be big, long and unfinished but it is WELL worth the time. Al´Lan Mandragoran can ward me any time he wants.

Posted Image

Agreed Posted Image

I have to agree about the imager series by L.E. Modesitt, Jr., and I would recommend The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. You should also read books by Marian V Snyder especially the poison study series.