Gender Dysphoria

Arpeggio

Yes, he is very cute. The way he is being so honest and doing this so people can understand it is very nice. Lots of trans committed suicide, that's why there is counseling before transgender surgery. It may be common knowledge to some, but the awareness should be known to more people, especially the ones not in the GLBT community.

I remember I made a comment about transgender people in RL like, "If they aren't comfortable with their bodies, they won't be comfortable after the surgery." I know it sounds very harsh. And after I said it (sometimes I am rash minded like Y_B, believe or not) I thought what if some people who don't understand the issue very deeply (because it wasn't GLBT community I was in), they might misinterpret my words.... All I really meant was something like the video shows.... It's just pain.... Some of our fates are very twisted. I thought about changing my sex once, though very briefly. After my research, I decided it's not for me (that's why I know about all these issues about transgender and drag queen culture and stuff, if it isn't obvious to you guys already). For people who are not so lucky like me who could just know and admit their sexuality with very clean cut conviction, it's an ongoing pain.

Did you talk to him, Arpeggio? BTW, forgive my ignorance, what's the binder he talked about?

Sorry Bieber fans, but he is like 100x cuter than Bieber.

(*hugs*)

Edited by Ashi

Ashi, I believe the binder is to flatten the chest, so the breasts aren't obvious. For a girl who feels that they're a guy, that's one part of the body that really makes them feel uncomfortable and signals the gender identity discrepancy to others.

• Like 1

Bill is quite correct, that's exactly what a binder is.

I do not know how GID is managed in the States, but over here he would have been started on puberty blockers to prevent the female puberty from happening - or at least dramatically reduce it's effect. Then once the age of puberty is passed (which under UK guidelines is aged 16), he would have been started on testosterone injections, and possibly growth hormones, to effectively go through the male puberty and to build up body mass and muscles. I presume none of this would be covered by insurance companies in the US, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

There have been a few kids with GID lately who have been treated at the hospital where I work. As if coping with cancer isn't difficult enough for a child, once you throw in the emotional turmoil of GID, it becomes a whole different ball game.

Bill is quite correct, that's exactly what a binder is.

I do not know how GID is managed in the States, but over here he would have been started on puberty blockers to prevent the female puberty from happening - or at least dramatically reduce it's effect. Then once the age of puberty is passed (which under UK guidelines is aged 16), he would have been started on testosterone injections, and possibly growth hormones, to effectively go through the male puberty and to build up body mass and muscles. I presume none of this would be covered by insurance companies in the US, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

There have been a few kids with GID lately who have been treated at the hospital where I work. As if coping with cancer isn't difficult enough for a child, once you throw in the emotional turmoil of GID, it becomes a whole different ball game.

I saw a PBS program earlier, and it pretty much in congruent with what you said there, andy021278. The doctor, after some assessments and counseling, would give medicine to delay the hormone, so the minor (with agreement from their parents) has time to think about the decision once they reach adulthood. Some of the kids were really young when they told their parents (some of them are rather supportive, fortunately) about their gender identity and possibility of undergoing gender reassignment surgery. One of the people in that documentary said she decided to be who she is, neither male nor female (she has a girlfriend during the time of interview, IIRC). She just accepts her non-traditional gender, but continues on using the medicine to stop the gender she was born as. She seems happy. :) The problem is never about them (they know who they are, or in some case, they know who they are "not"), but the society's unwillingness to accept.

Thanks for posting this, Lacey. For someone who is not affected by GID, there is more to be learned in testimonies such as his than in many scientific articles.

• Like 1

My best friends son had surgery, and still he is so messed up. Sometimes you just don't know what to do. He refuses to move on. His mom is at her wit's end. She supports him in everyway, but I think he is still confused or in denial. I just try to support both.

Man, he brought me to tears. I wish there was more that could be done to help him. I can't say that I know many intersex people in my life, but I can feel this kid's pain.

Thanks for posting this Lacey. Although I'll never know what it's like to have those feelings about myself it's easy to connect with his emotions and his honesty and fluency was remarkable.

There's an excellent film about an FTM boy and his search for love called Romeos [2011]. Not only will it answer a lot of questions it's just a great movie Posted Image

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830792/

Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

Thank you Lacey. That was a very thought provoking video. He is a very mature 16 year old and clearly knows who he is. It's like has been said above. For the trasgendered person it isn't a matter or knowing who they are. They know who they are fine it's everyone else that has a problem.

• Like 1