Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Can this kid make Trevor's ____ glow?

will shane take notice under the board shorts?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Taylor_Wilson

American nuclear scientist who was noted in 2008 for being the youngest person in the world (at age 14) to build a working nuclear fusion reactor

http://www.popsci.co...o-played-fusion

Posted Image

How fusion-reactors work?

Are they just creating one aspect of Fusion?

Isn't the sun made up of many complex Fusion reactions?

* The fuel held by immense gravity and pressure

* The reactions that inspire other Fusion type reactions

etc

Now just taking the heat by product is still old school of generating electricity

isn't there a more direct method? from reaction to electric?

They use what they call a magnetic bottle but that's a leaky bottle

Isn't gravity more than just electromagnetic field?

The Plasma in a donut ... is the plasma spinning?

Edited by hh5

Interesting!

Kudos to the kids parents. It's true; repressing a kid like that and trying to force him to be "normal" is unhealthy, as seen with the "radioactive boyscout" who ended up building a reactor pile in a garden shed.

It's too bad the reporter who authored the article wasn't versed in science though. Some of the incongruities jarred me. For example, the uranium in a Mk-17 nuclear warhead is all depleted uranium (so not weapons grade or even reactor grade), no more than trace radioactive. You find a lot of depleted uranium in thermonuclear warheads, because contrary to what most assume, the majority of the yeild comes from fission, not fusion. Basically, the high-energy neutrons produced by the fission (>`11MeV) cause fission in the depleted uranium, and that fission is the third stage of a three stage device (a thermonuclear, or hydrogen, bomb is almost always such a three stage device) and that fission via the fusion neutrons gives about 80% to 85% of the yeild of any given device. The "spark plug" refereed to though (essentially the ignitor for the second stage - the thermonuclear burn), that's plutonium. Also, they mentioned the bomb was nicknamed the "peacemaker". It wasn't. That's the nickname of the B-36 bomber. He also typo'd Einstein's formula, listing it as E=MC2 instead of E=MC^2, an absolutely enormous difference of many orders of magnitude. I could go on as there were many such goofs in the Popsci article, but it's just too bad he didn't get the kid to proofread it for him. :)

As a guess, he was after Lithium deuteride at that bomb site, and that isn't very radioactive, and that type of bomb had a lot of it.

Interesting idea regarding using high energy neutrons to make medical isotopes in situ. It's easy to make a neutron source (for example use the cathode array from a TV to bombard titanium foil) , but those are low energy neutrons, not the high energy neutrons he'd need for transmuting elements. For that, you pretty much need fusion, or a large accelerator. I have a hunch that we'll be hearing more about this kid in the coming years.

And yeah, I think he'd make me nervous if he lived next door too. :)

Does he bath in heavy water in that yellow suit? Its very early 19th century lol

Will he father your children that have glowing eyes?

Edited by hh5
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..