Anti-gay Blue Jay

The Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop, Yunel Escobar, decided that writing "Tu ere maricon" [You are a faggot, roughly translated] on his eyeblack strips was a "joke." Major League Baseball gave him a three-day suspension. What do you think about it? Here's the picture: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17zfg1rffid3ajpg/original.jpg

Pretty feeble. Should have been a hefty fine as well. There's a similar problem in English football with homophobia. Racial abuse has a zero tolerance policy and it's moving in that direction for homophobia too but there's still work to be done. The authorities have to take a lead and stamp hard on this crap.

An extract from a local news article:

Escobar's salary for that period (approximately $82,000) will be directed to two organizations - You Can Play and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) - that aim to eliminate homophobia. The Cuban infielder will also take part in outreach initiatives with these organizations and has been ordered to participate in a sensitivity training program in accordance with the Blue Jays and Major League Baseball (MLB).

I believe a 6 or 7 game suspension would have been more appropriate. I'm pretty sure Alex Anthopoulos, the Jays' GM, ripped him a new one. His days in Toronto may be numbered.

• Like 1

I love that phrase 'ripped him a new one'. Wouldn't it be ironically just, if it were literally accurate! Ah the joys of being anal about not being anal. Unfortunately the fine will have no effect. The outreach work? Well, I'd say that's got a lot of potential. Make him work and interact with those he demonises due to ignorance. It's really much harder to hate people you know.

Hmm.. probably thought he would get away with it... small print.. way out there on the field.. too bad media has far surpassed the human eye and there is a feature called ZOOM.. lol. Most people probably had to Google Search what he meant. The fine and suspension was fine, the out reach is a plus. He knows he's not about to get away with stupidity his reputation, the team, his contract, and future would be too much to lose.

We can hope for a change of mind though.. :)

He's Hispanic and an athlete. Those two things combined are usually going to produce someone who isn't exactly gay-friendly.

I've met a few friendly athletic gay Hispanics... much to my delight. Posted Image

Edited by jamessavik

I just googled "gay hispanic sportsmen" and, er ... let's just say it came up with a load of stuff not allowed in The Lounge Posted Image

Tsk tsk tsk.. someone has turned their safe search off... you dirty little thing, you. :P

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1

Escobar draw boos in 1st home game since slur

The Associated Press

TORONTO - Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar was greeted with a smattering of boos Thursday night during his first home game since writing an anti-gay slur on his eye-black.

A few fans booed when Escobar's name was announced as the lineups were read for Toronto's game against the New York Yankees. There was a mix of boos and cheers as Escobar batted in the bottom of the first inning, and he lined out.

Escobar was suspended by the team for three games earlier this month after he wore the slur written in Spanish during a game against Boston. The 29-year-old Cuban infielder later apologized and said he meant it as a joke.

Escobar caught the ceremonial first pitch from David Testo, a former MLS soccer player who is openly gay. Testo is now a board member for You Can Play, an advocacy group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender athletes.

Before the game, Escobar sat down with Jose Estevez, an openly gay distance runner from Boston College, and Patrick Burke, the founder of You Can Play.

Escobar's lost salary during his three-game ban - about US$82,000 - was to be directed to You Can Play and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Burke said the 45-minute meeting was helpful for all parties.

"I think it put a face on the issue for Yunel," Burke said. "I think it humanized the issue of gay athletes for Yunel and I think Jose did a great job today."

"After meeting with him, I like Yunel," Burke said. "I think he did a stupid thing but I think he has learned from it."

Burke is the son of Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke and the older brother of the late Brendan Burke, who publicly revealed his homosexuality in November 2009. Burke died in a car accident in February 2010.

"He's really sorry for what he did and I felt the sincerity when I was talking to him," Estevez said.

The eyeblack incident created some backlash among Toronto baseball fans.

For example, an online petition asking the Blue Jays to create a You Can Play video encouraging the acceptance of homosexuals in sports has been started by openly-gay Blue Jays fan Christopher Papps.

Blue Jays manager John Farrell said he considered holding Escobar out of the lineup Thursday, but decided against it, putting him at shortstop and batting him fourth.

"He understands whatever comes his way is part of the process," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "He made a terrible mistake and is going to have to be accountable."

Following his suspension - issued after input from commissioner Bud Selig, the players' union and team management - Escobar sat out three games against the Yankees last week, returning as pinch hitter in Friday's loss at Tampa Bay.

Farrell met with Escobar at the end of his suspension to discuss what he called "baseball things." Farrell said it was not the first time the two had spoken.