The term "Cisgender"/"Cissexual"

I was browsing the web tonight, and stumbled upon this word. I still don't have a clue to it's purpose. Or meaning. Sure, i've checked yahoo answers and watched videos on youtube about it, but i still don't really get it. Why would someone use this word except to confuse someone? It's kinda like the word "Chirugion" and can anyone tell me what that means? (In short, it's a very old word for doctor) Basically, i'm saying this word is archaic and has no use in our society today. The only use i can see for it is a way for transgendered people to claim superiority and make fun of regular people. Can't we all just say gay, straight, male, or female? Can someone please explain this word, in simple terms, so i can understand it?

Edited by Kibalessthan3

I'm not sure what you mean by transgendered people using to to claim superiority. I thought all cisgendered meant is that you are the gender that you were physically born it into, giving us the opposite of the word transgendered. Pretty uncontroversial, IMO  :huh:

I've come across Cisgender and Cissexual before.  They didn't strike me as particularly useful words, and I haven't used them.

Chirugion is just one of those spellings that got us from the Latin to Surgeon.  English is like that.

Sheez, how many times ... gender is your sexual identity, the sex your head feels you are. Sex is the bits and bobs of the body.

To say you are cisgendered means that your head's notion of your sex matches that of your body. Transgendered means that your head's notion of your sex is different to that of your body.

It's a plain statement of facts, not a oneupmanship.

Furthermore, it would be inaccurate to call a transgendered person gay if they have the body if a man and the mind of a woman, but are sexually attracted to men. That is actually 'straight', because the body is not the identity, the consciousness (i.e. the mind) is the identity. There are people on here who have the mind of a man and the body of a woman and are sexually attracted to men. That makes them gay, even if the book cover does not match the content.

I'd go as far as to suggest to you that it is not the people who claim to be transgendered who are being superior, but people like you who demand your (mis)understanding become the norm, and affect to have everybody live according to a set of parameters just so you can understand. You are basically decrying them for expecting what the rest of us want, i.e. an uncontested space in the world where their specific peculiarities are just as uncontested as your peculiarities or my peculiarities.

I do appreciate that you are asking the question, but I don't appreciate the high and mighty tone it is delivered in. You are young and living in a generation where certain things are much more acceptable. For instance, how would you react if someone told you that you could not adopt children or father your own because you don't have a great set of milk jugs and you like taking it up the ass? It would be ridiculous. So is your stance.

We cannot expect to be granted an uncontested space in the world if we cannot grant the same grace to others.

I'd go as far as to suggest to you that it is not the people who claim to be transgendered who are being superior, but people like you who demand your (mis)understanding become the norm, and affect to have everybody live according to a set of parameters just so you can understand. You are basically decrying them for expecting what the rest of us want, i.e. an uncontested space in the world where their specific peculiarities are just as uncontested as your peculiarities or my peculiarities.

I do appreciate that you are asking the question, but I don't appreciate the high and mighty tone it is delivered in. You are young and living in a generation where certain things are much more acceptable. For instance, how would you react if someone told you that you could not adopt children or father your own because you don't have a great set of milk jugs and you like taking it up the ass? It would be ridiculous. So is your stance.

We cannot expect to be granted an uncontested space in the world if we cannot grant the same grace to others.

I didn't mean to offend with the question, or the tone. The only way i've seen this word used is in a derogatory fashion towards, well, cis people. Such as the infamous "Die cis scum" The trans i've seen use it have meant it as if they were better than everyone else, and so they think it's ok to hate other humans. Or at least thats my take on their tones. Is there also a trans term for homosexual? or lesbian? We're all human on this earth, despite our sexual identity, our gender identity, or our societial identity. Hating on people who aren't like you is wrong, on both sides of the argument. I am pretty conservative in my views, but this isn't the place for politics. Sure, not everyone is as progressive as they should be. Some people still believe in the eternal fire and brimstone that will consume the gays for all eternity! And i can understand the rage that some trans people can exhibit. And they are completely entitled to it, just like everyone else. Just don't lord it over everyone and take it out on the people who are working to try and make the world a better place for everyone. Because they aren't the only ones who deserve rights.

^ And that exactly the point i'm trying to get across. ^

Sticks head in...notices its full of gay males and take a seat next to yb and lacey.

There are words that stop being hateful after wide use like nigger has become over time from a racist slur to a term of black affirmation and pride. A word is just a few letters on a piece of paper, its meaning comes from human emotions placed on that word.

• Like 1