Writer's block

Warrior1

In my childhood I could write like no one's business. I just wrote, wrote and wrote. Now I have to labor myself all day to even finish a page. I so wish I could write a story. So many ideas keep coming but when it's time to jot them down I just...can't go any further than a few pages. Is it because of my ADHD? Is it because of changing language (to English) from my mother tongue? Is it because I am becoming a perfectionist? I just don't know.

Anyone else here too suffer from the same problem? That they could write non-stop earlier but now can't do that with the same force? :)

• Site Administrator

I find it harder to finish things I'm not posting. I don't have the impetus of a conversation between me and the readers to give me ideas and to keep me motivated. You might consider using a beta to help with that. Many work along with an author during a story, not just after the story is done.

Well, there was a time when I had to write every day. Even if it wasn't a lot, but I had too. Now, well... it has been years since I wrote one word (though I intend to change that).

For me, it was just I didn't have enough time, I was involved in some complicated personal stuff... I wouldn't call it a Writer's Block. 

One thing that worked for me when I used to faced Writer's Block was Prompts. That was why I used to participate in the Anthologies a lot back then. The idea of having a given theme and a deadline worked magic for me. Maybe you could try it. There is even a Prompt section around here.  :) Just to get things started.

Hope it helped. :)

Cheers

Ieshwar 

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Well, there was a time when I had to write every day. Even if it wasn't a lot, but I had too. Now, well... it has been years since I wrote one word (though I intend to change that).

Welcome back!! Can't wait to see what else you might start posting.

It happened to me for the first time ever a few days ago. I couldn't write more than 300 words for three days straight, it was horrible. I don't even know if it's over yet since I took two days off to just do other things and think about the story whenever my mind just naturally went there instead of trying to force it. I have more ideas, but we'll see if it helps with the whole actually writing thing tomorrow.

If it helps though, sometimes I find it easier to imagine a conversation between my characters in my head and just have the story go from there. *shrugs* It didn't help with the writers block for me, but maybe you'll have more luck.

Welcome back!! Can't wait to see what else you might start posting.

Lol. Thanks. :D With all those years of rust, I'm curious too to see what I'll end up writing.  :unsure:   :lol:

Warrior1, maybe, you could try to recreate the atmosphere and situations which were present when you used to write a lot. Things that worked before. Coffee, music, night time... 

Cheers

Ieshwar

• Like 1

hmm. first you need to diagnose why you stop writing after a few pages.  Is a story problem or a writing problem? 

Story Problem.

It helps to know what you want to say before you say it. Practically this means, you should have a handle on the character goal and conflict.  Even if you're a pantser, your subconscious guides you to where the story is.  If the ink dries so to speak, then in such moments, you need to ask yourself, "what is the worst thing that could happen to the character now?" 

Writing problem.

You might be letting your internal editor get in the way of writing.  In that case, allow yourself to write crap.  Crap can get fixed later. So just write it out, all the bad scenes, bad dialogues and bad everything and get it out of the way.  Then learn to self-edit. there's a saying, write drunk, edit sober.  I live by this.  my first drafts are utter shite, because I don't care.  Shite can get fixed.The art of writing is rewriting.  I learned how to edit shite by being involved in only critique groups.   Interestingly, as you write more and self-edit more, your ability to write well on the first pass increases.  

If focus is the problem, then perhaps you should try short stories or flash fiction.  

If the problem is the lack of ideas, then you should read more and let your imagination flower.  Look to your life experiences for inspiration. Hell, write fan-fiction if that what gets your writing again. 

• Like 1

hmm. first you need to diagnose why you stop writing after a few pages.  Is a story problem or a writing problem? 

Story Problem.

It helps to know what you want to say before you say it. Practically this means, you should have a handle on the character goal and conflict.  Even if you're a pantser, your subconscious guides you to where the story is.  If the ink dries so to speak, then in such moments, you need to ask yourself, "what is the worst thing that could happen to the character now?" 

Writing problem.

You might be letting your internal editor get in the way of writing.  In that case, allow yourself to write crap.  Crap can get fixed later. So just write it out, all the bad scenes, bad dialogues and bad everything and get it out of the way.  Then learn to self-edit. there's a saying, write drunk, edit sober.  I live by this.  my first drafts are utter shite, because I don't care.  Shite can get fixed.The art of writing is rewriting.  I learned how to edit shite by being involved in only critique groups.   Interestingly, as you write more and self-edit more, your ability to write well on the first pass increases.  

If focus is the problem, then perhaps you should try short stories or flash fiction.  

If the problem is the lack of ideas, then you should read more and let your imagination flower.  Look to your life experiences for inspiration. Hell, write fan-fiction if that what gets your writing again. 

Priceless advice there, especially the bold bit, I will keep track of this. Thanks everyone :)

My main problem I think is with my ADHD - can't do anything straight for more than like 5 minutes. I've such poor attention span.

Priceless advice there, especially the bold bit, I will keep track of this. Thanks everyone :)

My main problem I think is with my ADHD - can't do anything straight for more than like 5 minutes. I've such poor attention span.

why don't you get medication for it?

why don't you get medication for it?

Medication can be helpful, but it isn't a fix-all, especially with ADHD.  Writing, or anything that takes extended amounts of concentration and focus, is going to be a struggle, sometimes even despite medication.