Software giants have lost the plot

I'm fed up with constant demands by Adobe to update its software and then insist I waste my time rebooting my PC - probably not every day but it seems like it. I don't have / want a smartphone so I don't know if it's the same with them but I guess it is - eating into your data allowance, ESPECIALLY expensive if you use it in other countries.

It's as if some software companies become so big they forget why they're there - to serve and please their customers, not annoy the **** out of them. The same with Norton, a big pile of **** that just eats more and more system resources. They behave as if web device owners exist just to satisfy the likes of Adobe's and Norton's voracious demands and that we're somehow privileged to be their customers. No we're not and that's why I ditched Norton for excellent free anti-malware programs. Now I'm looking for an Adobe Reader alternative. Suggestions anyone?

Btw it's not just me - stumbled on this spleen venting Adobe forum :P
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/558198

*goes to have a little lie down ... :P*

I don't know if there are any better PDF readers available; there probably are some in the open source software universe.  My bandwidth is sufficient and at a fixed price, so I haven't been concerned with the Adobe updates.  They do have them frequently...probably as often as I actually use the software.  I use it primarily to "fix" documents I e-mail to other people, so there is no chance of alteration.

As for Norton (or McAfee)...ditch it.  I have found AVG (http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage) to be great antivirus software...and it's free.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

My only real complaint about AVG is that on older computers it's memory hungry. I had to ditch it simply because it was taking up too much memory and everything else was running slow. Otherwise, I found it good and effective.

I don't allow most software to update without my permission, so I don't end up updating all the time. I'll pick and choose when I update. :)

My only real complaint about AVG is that on older computers it's memory hungry. I had to ditch it simply because it was taking up too much memory and everything else was running slow. Otherwise, I found it good and effective.

I don't allow most software to update without my permission, so I don't end up updating all the time. I'll pick and choose when I update. :)

My biggest concern with that is that rapid update cycles are actually fairly important, especially for security.  There may not be much, if any, time between when researchers discover a security flaw, and it's discovered 'in the wild' -- used against YOUR machine, as likely as not.

Edit:

And I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my AV; works great.

Edited by Rilbur

My biggest concern with that is that rapid update cycles are actually fairly important, especially for security.  There may not be much, if any, time between when researchers discover a security flaw, and it's discovered 'in the wild' -- used against YOUR machine, as likely as not.

Edit:

And I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my AV; works great.

Fair enough for AV - my only gripe with Norton was its voracious appetite for system resources. But software like Adobe Reader is a minor utility and its continual updating suggests either an underlying problem with the software - not very credible - or a cynical brand awareness marketing ploy.

Typically the best thing to do with AVG is to tell it to update as the first thing you do once you've got your computer booted up. Because yes, everything else will run slow while it's updating. :P But taking care of updates first is probably the best trade-off between that and the security issues, IMO. :)

The PDF reader I use most is google chrome. Yeah, it's a browser but it ain't adobe.

Chrome doesn't use it as an add-on? Huh. That's unexpected.

Don't know any non-Adobe PDF readers, unfortunately. It doesn't give me problems, and my computer hides the notifications I don't often bother with. It bugs me to update at times, but I generally ignore it--leave it there for days, until I finally go "ugh, I /should/ update this stuff". Haven't yet.

As for anti-virus, I use AVG. Have never used anything else. Have had unsavory run-ins with Norton (and McAfee), and, consequently, have advised my family and neighbors to ditch it ASAP--it's (both) just a ugly, bothersome, annoying thing(s). I don't even trust it (them) to really do anti-virus stuff.

Here's a search on a site I use when I'm desperate for an alternative, though. Hope it helps.

• Like 2

I used to use Bull Guard for my anti virus, but soon enough it began to consume extraordinary amounts of system power, that I eventually ditched it and went to AVG.

But Adobe is not the only one.

Flash and Java are another two I get fairly regular updates from. And there are times I'm just like oh ffs get a life!

:P

• Like 1

Fair enough for AV - my only gripe with Norton was its voracious appetite for system resources. But software like Adobe Reader is a minor utility and its continual updating suggests either an underlying problem with the software - not very credible - or a cynical brand awareness marketing ploy.

Actually, it doesn't necessarily mean an underlying software issue, it just means they have a rapid patching cycle -- they tend to release their fixes quicker, rather than let them sit on their drive.  Chrome does the same thing, it's just much, much more circumspect about it.

Most Adobe updates come from Java exploits of the terrible code in Adobe Reader. Which is why you get Adobe updates and Java updates right around the same time - Oracle patches the java engine, and then Adobe patches their lousy implementation of it. Which they have to do, because no one ever patches java on their own - you see that little orange notfication in your system tray or get the pop up that "a new version of Java is available"? Yeah, it's the most ignored notification ever.

Protip of the week: always update Java. And when you do, pay attention to the screens and uncheck the "Ask Toolbar" installer.

I really like the silent update capability in Chrome...

• Like 1

The constant updating nonesense can have ramifications; YouTube just tried to update the channel layouts and it cause a java script error that let hackers through to some of the most popular youtube channels. Thankfully they were only able to change Bio information but it could have been a whole lot worse. I've always thought why fix what isnt broke, especially when the "fix" just makes things worse?

The constant updating nonesense can have ramifications; YouTube just tried to update the channel layouts and it cause a java script error that let hackers through to some of the most popular youtube channels. Thankfully they were only able to change Bio information but it could have been a whole lot worse. I've always thought why fix what isnt broke, especially when the "fix" just makes things worse?

Because they aren't 'fixing' what's not broken, they're just trying to make things better.

Programmers mindset:  there's always a better, clearer, faster, more efficient, cleaner, improved, etc etc etc way of doing something.  Find it.

It's an outgrowth of hte fact that programmers are the laziest people on the planet -- no one ever works as hard at avoiding work as a programmer does.

um no... don't you children and old people know...

they aren't there to serve and please their customers...

The costumers are there to serve and make them money... They do what they want, and can afford to...

you dont have enough friends to make a boycot of their company besides they would tell you we own the rights, and thusly you can do without if you play that game.