When does being a fan go too far

Wow, that's extreme. It did make me think though. I hope that in the past i've never pressured an author that bad. :thumbdown:

I would never pressure an author like that on purpose. For example; I really really want Rory and Luke together (DD) but I would be ashamed if I ever helped in demanding or pressuring Dom to change his story.

It's fun to discuss what we would like to happen in future chapters of our favorite stories but I guess we all have to keep in mind the intensity that we do it with.

.:Kat:.

:P

Fan response (to the point of threats against his family as I understand it) also drove Driver off the 'net for a while , and though he's sort of back he's sort of not, and he's apparently not re-releasing the parts of his stories that caused all the furor.

As a long time 'net denizen (before the web, back in the "we sling Usenet news articles around via UUCP" days) it doesn't surprise me. Take a random sampling of people and you'll come across the Net K00ks who aren't on nearly enough medication, the self-absorbed assholes who're convinced the world revolves around themselves, and the cluelessly enthusiastic who get so wrapped up in something that when it goes in ways they can't accept or understand they freak out.

The social distance the internet gives you, where you're not dealing face to face with someone, also tends to dampen the social reflexes that tend to keep people from being too much of an ass. It's a lot easier to get worked up when writing email or a forum post than when you're talking directly to someone -- you're more likely to do it when you're impaired (upset, tired, hungry, whatever) and you don't get the feedback from the person you're talking to that keeps bad behaviour in check.

There's not a huge amount that can be done about it. Accepting that it'll happen does help, as does having the community try and head off bad behavior before it gets out of hand, but neither does much for the lone fan with a grudge, or the raving loon on the message boards. Keeping some amount of distance and anonymity (as an author or artist or whatever) helps -- makes the cranks hurt a bit less, and makes it more difficult for people to f**k you over at work or home.

Just life, unfortunately. Some people need to be hit repeatedly with the clue stick, occasionally to the point of unconsciousness. Knowing this does, oddly, help.

I've seen what I thought was fanaticism on the Domoholics forum, but nothing like what all of you guys are talking about......I guess the world is full of nutjubs, though. I think that if someone gets so into a story that they cant seperate reality from a net story, they should seek help immediately.

I've seen what I thought was fanaticism on the Domoholics forum, but nothing like what all of you guys are talking about......I guess the world is full of nutjubs, though. I think that if someone gets so into a story that they cant seperate reality from a net story, they should seek help immediately.
You're young -- don't worry, there's plenty of time to come across the screamingly insane. (Though, honestly, they're easier to deal with than the freaky stalkers, self-righteous lunatics, and sociopaths. I'll take a good screamer every time, they're usually harmless)

It's best to assume that every creepy nutjob on the planet has an internet connection. It's not true, of course, but that may only be because much of China's still unwired.

One of the greatest parts of reading a story is when the author throws in an unexpected twist, totally catching you, the reader, off guard. It is very exciting when that happens. I'm sure we all have notions of how we think a story will unfold, and I'm sure a lot of that is us living vicariously through the story, or a result of our own personal experiences.

I wouldn't ever mention to an author how I think their story should go, after all it is their story to tell, not mine. As the audience, I play a very important part role in the story. because without me (or any other readers) there would be no purpose to write the story (unless you just like writing stuff for the hell of it...a possibility I guess). The best thing I can do as a reader is tell the author how much I enjoyed (or didn't enjoy the story). Feedback is good, but the author wants to write his/her story, not YOURS!

But imagine if you did tell an author how her or his story should go and then in a couple of weeks you are reading it and lo and behold, the story line proceeds just as you suggested. Wouldn't that be boring? Why would you want to read that? That's like hearing what happens in a movie before you see it.

All I can say is that I'm very appreciative of the contributions made by the authors on Gay Authors and encourage them to write more, but tell stories of their own choosing and at a pace they are comfortable with. Afterall, these stories are coming to us free of charge, and for that we should all be greatful!

Enjoy!

Jet

Wow, this is a bit of an eye-opener! I can't imagine berating an author when you don't think an update is coming soon enough or telling them how you want a story to go! Where's the fun in that? I've really enjoyed the forums for Dom's stories and trying to figure out where he's going to take us and what twist's he's foreshadowed are a big part of what makes reading the stories so much fun. Sure I'd love to see my favourite authors post a story every couple of days but people need to realize that their favourite author has a job (and a life) and has a direction that they want to the story to go. My assumption is that most authors have the story mapped out before they release the first chapter and that you should just enjoy the ride they are taking you in the world they are creating. I have some author's whose work I follow pretty religiously that only post once a month or once a quarter, that is the pace they create their work... why complain? If they acquised to people's demands, something would have to give, either the story quality would deminish or the author could decide that it's not worth the hassles he/she is getting and abandon the project.

If you want to see another chapter from an author who's writing you're enjoying, try dropping them a quick email telling them you've been enjoying the story, give some specifics why and say that you're looking forward to the next chapter and to keep up the good work. When I was a kid and being a little shit my grandmother would frequently remind me that "you attract more bees with honey than vinegar". To Dom and the others, I don't blame you for being a little gun shy when people get demanding or stalker-ish... you obviously love what you're doing and have more patience than I do. I would pretty freaked out when readers get threatening, especially for authors like Chris Lydon who made it pretty plain that he lives in the same city I do and frequently mentioned things going on in his life... it wouldn't be hard for some nut job to find out where he hangs out. :thumbdown:

I would suggest that authors keep aspects of their real life confidential and remember that the delete key is the handiest one when dealing nasty emails.

On behalf of those who rarely write authors directly about their work, a big "Thanks!" for the fun stuff you give us.

Steve

Writers and readers often have uncomfortable relationships.

It all depends on the writer's motivation for writing. If the writer is writing for the reader, then he/she will quickly discover that you can please some of the people some of the time but not everybody.

Most writers have other motivations for writing. They may have an axe to grind, an agenda to further or may write strictly for their own amusement. Others may view the writing process as therapeutic or cathartic. In either case, fans are the icing on the cake and not the cake itself.

If you want a friend, get a dog. Writing for popularities sake just isn't going to do it for you.

If your stories are cheery and everything turns out alright, some critics will say they aren't realistic and are out of touch.

If your story is dark and has mature themes, other critics will say you are endorsing behaviors that are unacceptable.

Your best bet is to write very best story that you can and take the criticism with a grain of salt.

Hmm as a dedicated reader and one who's unlikely to be anything else in the near future, I fell I'd like to throw my two cents into the ring. In pretty much any work of fiction, everyone has their ideal way of the story turning out. But, unless you're the author, you don't really have control over it. And that's the fun of it. For if we all knew how the stories were going to play out it wouldn't be that much fun to read them, now would it?

Secondly, I as a reader enjoy speculation. I've been wrong more times than I cared to count, and I always viewed it as a harmless past time. For example, favoring a certain relationship, or trying to guess what's going to happen to another. My question to the authors is: Do you find this disturbing/distracting? For me, it's never a "I want this to happen." It's always more of a "I think this is going to happen." If I got what I wanted, well everyone would have boyfriends for life and ride off into the sunset by the end of the first chapter.. :/

If I ever felt out I had a real influence on a story, I think I'd feel pretty bad. It's no longer somebody elses tale, it's mine too. And by participating, I've removed the invisible wall, that allowed me to enjoy it. I hope that nobody here is modifying their stories because of anything I've said. I mean, I really don't want want to read about Grandma Alice heading to Vegas...

Lastly, there's one thing I've found unbearably rude with other readers. Messaging the authors to ask for new chapters/find out when the next one's coming out. Unless the author is on commission (and you're paying it), you have no right to make demands. Be polite, they're providing you with a service for free and you have the ingratitude to make demands? Waiting is half the fun anyway, eh my fellow Domaholics?

//shadows

P.S. I'm not joking about the waiting thing. I've been waiting for Acey to finish this story for four years...

I'm sad to say this doesn't suprise me. I remember reading an interview with fantasy author Sara Douglas where she said that her editors had forced her to keep a character she hated (Faraday for anyone interested) in the story because the fans would be too upset if she killed her off. I hadn't realised before that authors were pressured that way.

For me the best part of a story is the suprises and I hate people interfering with my writing so I would never try to influence anybody else's writing. I really only bothered to join this site because of Dom Luka's stories but even if he finished DD with Rory, Luke and Seth going separate ways I'd still be happy coz it's his story and that's the way he wanted it to go. Besides, sad or unusual endings have been parts of some of my favourite stories and I rate a story that can make my stomache tie itself in knots quite highly (at least it's not boring).

For me there's nothing worse than a predictable story.

Wynter

Hi,

It goes a stage worse than that, First page of Return of the sun has my home address, my email address and my phone number on it, it ws amistake, I didn't know they were posting my manuscript verbatim... so that led to some...INTERESTING situations.

I do get the "I saw you" comments... whcih make me go a little "Wow"

I stand out a bit in Ottawa,

1. I am British

2. I wear my (He isn't a boyfriend but loves me for five years) Wil's jacket, which, him being military is an airmans jacket, people see that and go Hey that's you...

So I mean, he's in Afghanistan I wear it and think of him, it makes me feel connected so I am not going to ditch it because of Bunny Boiling Super fans :)

As far as pressure goes, yeah... hell yeah. You get rabid letters screaming how dare you do this. Fix it at once

My usual reply is "Trust me"

But It got so bad with teh Carter stuff that I didn't want to write it anymore

I needed a break, launched into the Falcon banner and REFUSE to release any chapters till a book is finished. That way it cannot be changed. It means the readers have to wait, but it also means I get to write my vision with out outside interferance.

It's easy to say no to a fan, harder when you get calls, or emails, and scarier when you get told by one "I saw you." LOL though my Wil is in the Army and tough as nails, screw with me and he's the one ya gotta deal with :P

Its why I liked writing Shadow, shadow was written before anyone read it. And I was able to release it and work on something else, enjoying what I consider to be the strongest book out of that series because it wasn't guided by popular vote.