GA wide RPG? Ideas welcome!

Former Member

LOL Scotty.  Well, for starters, why don't you give your opinion on what setting we should play in?  It started with space pirates, but both Dolores and Animalmorph would prefer some medieval-ness.  I personally have no preference.  I think both would be cool.

combine them together pirate are medieval anyway and what is to say back in the day they didn't believe in aliens, combing the two so everyone is happy, it what writers do have two ideas put then together to create a masterpiece.

As for the story theme, I already say what I needed to say. I still think we need a vote when the player list is compiled, but that is up to the mods here.

>>>
I'm going to discuss fight (as in ACTUAL clash that could result in a death of the character) between PC's (Player Character) now.

For simplicity sakes, I highly suggest NOT to let any character owned (created) by any author, to fight against each other.

There are a lot of writer ego's gonna be involved and as someone said before NO ONE wants to be a sidekick author, therefore it can be safely assumed that EVERYONE want their character to win the battles, assuming there IS any battle between characters. More often than not, if both the player are stubborn and neither want to lose the battle, a heated discussion will follow and after that... Well, when things gone really bad a mod usually intervenes.

This problem is one of the OLDEST problem ever exist in RolePlaying. Valucre site have a nice combat simulation though and it's called the T1 concept. If you are interested in learning more of the battle concept of T1 check this Tutorial T1 and this T1: A Comprehensive Study.

If you have taken the time to read the article I showed you above, you'll know that a combat between PC (Player Character) even when using T1 concept is downright exhausting. Too much preparation and logic needs to be considered, not to mention that the concept is still foreign to everyone here.

The easiest way to avoid such a situation, is to completely banned PC (Player Character) from fighting with each other. Instead I suggest to create an overwhelming threat that looms over the world which eventually requires all PC to banned together and defeat this threat. Or each of the PC can do things each in their own way towards the same goal.

Whatever the world setting might be, dear mods and GM, do try to avoid a situation where a battle between PC can occur.

It's not worth it, believe me.

...Which is why I'm doubting my own ideas about a player playing the villain / the bad guy role.

As for the story theme, I already say what I needed to say. I still think we need a vote when the player list is compiled, but that is up to the mods here.

>>>

I'm going to discuss fight (as in ACTUAL clash that could result in a death of the character) between PC's (Player Character) now.

For simplicity sakes, I highly suggest NOT to let any character owned (created) by any author, to fight against each other.

There are a lot of writer ego's gonna be involved and as someone said before NO ONE wants to be a sidekick author, therefore it can be safely assumed that EVERYONE want their character to win the battles, assuming there IS any battle between characters. More often than not, if both the player are stubborn and neither want to lose the battle, a heated discussion will follow and after that... Well, when things gone really bad a mod usually intervenes.

This problem is one of the OLDEST problem ever exist in RolePlaying. Valucre site have a nice combat simulation though and it's called the T1 concept. If you are interested in learning more of the battle concept of T1 check this Tutorial T1 and this T1: A Comprehensive Study.

If you have taken the time to read the article I showed you above, you'll know that a combat between PC (Player Character) even when using T1 concept is downright exhausting. Too much preparation and logic needs to be considered, not to mention that the concept is still foreign to everyone here.

The easiest way to avoid such a situation, is to completely banned PC (Player Character) from fighting with each other. Instead I suggest to create an overwhelming threat that looms over the world which eventually requires all PC to banned together and defeat this threat. Or each of the PC can do things each in their own way towards the same goal.

Whatever the world setting might be, dear mods and GM, do try to avoid a situation where a battle between PC can occur.

It's not worth it, believe me.

...Which is why I'm doubting my own ideas about a player playing the villain / the bad guy role.

The problem is, you can't keep thinking of it as 'sidekicks' and 'main characters'. Those concepts just don't apply to RP. It's much more of an ensemble cast, and the characters are roughly equal in narrative importance. 

Also, a character losing does not make that character less important. Losing a fight is exactly as important to a characters narrative as winning it. The only limitation to this is the ability of the players to be mature enough to remember that their character sometimes loses, and to remember to incorporate this into their development.

Besides, cutting off the possibility of PvP conflict, even with an overwhelming NPC threat, is still incredibly limiting. What if my character distrusts another character? Or there is a disagreement with how a situation should be dealt with? What if, against the backdrop of an impending invasion, my character unfairly accuses his boyfriend of getting up to something with all those visiting soldiers? :P

I am more than happy to accept my character losing fights in exchange for opening up those storytelling opportunities.

Well said Clumber!  Right now, Persinette and I are leaning away from having two characters.  At least right from the beginning.  With two characters per player, I fear that it will be two easy for a single player to move along nearly the entire plot because there are two people a player can bounce between.  We want this game to be INTERACTIVE, so at least at the time being, we are sticking with on character per player.  That may change in the future, but please plan ahead.

Also, for the main big bad villain, we are also leaning toward the MAIN villain having no backstory (right now) and being controlled by the GMs.  Minions, we have yet to discuss.  However, I think it would be difficult to have a true minion that sticks by the villain's side, as GMs are not really supposed to be influencing other characters in a major way.  A player with less than stellar intentions and is more out for their own gain?  Perfect.  As long as they are still around for the group, I think that would be okay.  I'm sure it's something that will be discussed.

AND.  Three of five potential players have now announced that they want to have 'bad guys'.  I'm starting to think that we may need to flip bad guys into good guys and have the main villain actually be quite a decent person.  Very interesting!  Keep it up!

Sounds great. I have voted on the genre. I'll fill in the character bio when I know which kind of world we'll play in. I'd still like to play a bad guy, but not the main villain, and my character might develop and change over time.

I'm in.  Don't know if I want to be a hero or villain.  It would depend on the setting.  Right now I'm tempted to do an "Looking out for #1" amoral character who can be both a hero and a villain based on what's gets him closer to his goal.  The tricky part will be completely focused on the goal.  For example... if someone is in jail and they want to get him out he would only help them if he gets him closer to his goal... ie magic sword, treasure, spaceship, back to his home world but he won't give a damn if he's not getting something out of it that reaches that goal... sort of a Hero/Villain hybrid.

Would that be too difficult to pull off with whatever rules that are set?"

I'm in.  Don't know if I want to be a hero or villain.  It would depend on the setting.  Right now I'm tempted to do an "Looking out for #1" amoral character who can be both a hero and a villain based on what's gets him closer to his goal.  The tricky part will be completely focused on the goal.  For example... if someone is in jail and they want to get him out he would only help them if he gets him closer to his goal... ie magic sword, treasure, spaceship, back to his home world but he won't give a damn if he's not getting something out of it that reaches that goal... sort of a Hero/Villain hybrid.

Would that be too difficult to pull off with whatever rules that are set?"

I've added your name to the new main post, JMH!

I can't see why you couldn't play a selfish, ruthless bastard - there's no rule saying that all characters need to be nice. ;)

For those who didn't see it, the new main topic for the RPG is here.

Edited by Persinette