Ender's Game Trailer 2

Myr

• Site Administrator

I'm excited!  Even if Orson's recent views are rather doofish.

It definitely looks interesting.  I'm just concern that by going to see it that I may somehow help to fund the author's homophobic views. 

Who knows maybe the author is actually a closet case and by giving him more money, he will be found one day with 2 kilos of heroin and a call boy in a motel room :P Sometimes, it's best to let people destroy themselves rather than trying to create or avoid an outcome.

The movie looks good

• Like 2

Sometimes boycotting something is the way to go, it's helpful and useful and works. Other times, all you're doing is depriving yourself of an experience. I try not to boycott the works of individual artists for views they may or may not have expressed at some point, not if I enjoy the art and not unless their views are expressed in too extreme a fashion to ignore. Clapton has expressed some very unfortunate nationalist views, Bowie said some pretty stupid things in the 70s and 80s, and there are plenty more. Often quotes are taken out of context or were originally meant as jokes, or they're downright misquotes. As long as the person in question doesn't fund any organisations or act upon his or her opinions, and as long as their art doesn't promote said opinions, I don't see why I should deprive myself of their art if I enjoy it.

Also:

On July 8, 2013, Card wrote in Entertainment Weekly that the gay marriage issue is "moot" due to the Supreme Court decision on DOMA, and that eventually, gay marriage would be legal in all fifty states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card#Personal_views

Edited by Thorn Wilde