Will fall telebision be less gay?

I get that babe - i just think people should stop trying to cram each other into categories.

Um, give a time when people didn't do this :P

Edited by Zombie

Maybe, since the word "flaming" seems to be used for gay guys who act like the stereotypical notion of a gay guy propagated in humorous movies and such, we could develop a word from that to describe the behavior of gay guys who are the opposite of that? Since one is flaming, the other could be "frosty" or "chilly," or I dunno, "sub-zero" or something. That way you could eventually get to the point where burning metaphors are used to describe gay guys who are flamboyant, emotional and energetic, and freezing metaphors are used to describe gay guys who are more down-to-earth, calm and stoic -- it would evolve into a description of personalities, rather than perpetuating traditional ideas of gender. I imagine, eventually, the whole "gay or straight-acting" dichotomy would disappear and you'd get a richer language.

I've found it frustrating that one of the traits of a gay character can be described as either "totally not your stereotypical gay" or "your stereotypical gay." That doesn't seem right to me. I've seen that description at Nifty and on stories at this site and others and I'm sure the author doesn't mean anything bad by it, but I feel like if we want to describe the character traits of somebody like Danny or Ethan from Teen Wolf, we shouldn't have to go out of our way to specific what they don't look or sound like.

• Like 1

I feel like if we want to describe the character traits of somebody like Danny or Ethan from Teen Wolf, we shouldn't have to go out of our way to specific what they don't look or sound like.

Can I just describe Danny is incredibly freakin' hot boy-next-door athletic type then? om nom nom

• Like 1

This is what I meant earlier - being "gay" doesn't define who my neighbor is any more than being "straight" doesn't define who I am - people should just get to know and like/dislike someone on the individual's merrits. Bottom line is I am married and not going to be playing around with my neighbor, so what does it matter to me what sex the playmate in his bed is? And to try to categorize people based on how they "act" is ludicrous. The biggest "flamer" or if you will the "gayest acting" guy i know is totally straight.

• Like 1