8 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.163c54f35c49b13bad3996ca5d72bb5b.jpeg

Spiny Harvestman

Found during a night hike in Gunung Leuser national park, Sumatra, Indonesia.

:cowboy:

Even those this spider's legs seem to be having erections, I still only count 'six' legs.  What's up with this?  Isn't it a 'true' spider? 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Bill W said:

Even those this spider's legs seem to be having erections, I still only count 'six' legs.  What's up with this?  Isn't it a 'true' spider? 

? There are 7 and a hole where a leg used to be.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, drown said:

? There are 7 and a hole where a leg used to be.

I didn't think that faint line on the right-rear was a leg - I just thought it was something in the background, and it didn't dawn on me that this spider was an amputee.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Bill W said:

I didn't think that faint line on the right-rear was a leg - I just thought it was something in the background, and it didn't dawn on me that this spider was an amputee.   

I don’t even know why I read the topic. I am so afraid of spiders 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, drown said:

I don’t even know why I read the topic. I am so afraid of spiders 😂

I was the same way, but following this thread taught me that there aren't many spiders to be afraid of, at least if you're not in Australia.  Needless to say, I've crossed visiting Australia off my bucket list.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Bill W said:

I was the same way, but following this thread taught me that there aren't many spiders to be afraid of, at least if you're not in Australia.  Needless to say, I've crossed Australia off my bucket list.  

A very wise choice. For me it's not the toxicity of their venom. I couldn't care less. I'm just deathly afraid, I freeze when I see one bigger than a contact lens.

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Brown Recluse Spiders

35.Brown-Recluse-spiders.webp.2f6127c71c411e73062d3d65595cba12.webp

Brown recluse spiders can go an average of 6 months without food, and there is one observed case of a spider surviving over 5 seasons without food.

Brown recluse spider (Loxosceles reclusa) | Arachnipedia Wiki | Fandom

A common spider here in Georgia.  I check my shoes for them before I put my shoes on.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Now that was a big spider and it fell from the ceiling without a parachute, yet the couple seemed calm until that happened and then suddenly the video stopped.  I wonder if they were having a stomping party after that happened.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, TalonRider said:

I found a good one for us over at YouTube.

If that was an egg sac that spider was clinging to, then that guy is going to have more problems than just one large spider.  

• Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
9 hours ago, Bill W said:

I'm not sure if this kid has guts or if he's just crazy: 

As I said originally, on this one. He is too young to be considered crazy or stupid. I think he is pretty damn brave, but do advise a different career path going forwards.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, sandrewn said:

While there (You Tube) I found this one for us.

Cluster of Daddy Longlegs (Harvestmen) - Ajijic, Mexico - YouTube

Interesting.  No venom or silk glands.  And they live as a group - all relatives??? 

I don't know who their predators are, but the couldn't get much from eating them - they're all legs.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Haha 2