A Holiday Story Event/Mini-Contest (Non-GA)

W_L

Okay ladies and Gentlemen,

I might be a little late, but I do want to try this again: Also, as advised, I must state this is an unofficial Holiday Contest done by authors outside of GA admin, it is not being administrated by GA admins.

I am listing 12 Items for the Holiday Story Themes that writers can use.

Songs:

1. All I want for Christmas is You

2. I Saw Daddy/Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

3. There's No Place Like Home For The Holiday

4. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

6. Masters of the Winter Solstice- the link is broken, so I will give a general summary of the story as I know it. The emperor of China was building a brilliant tower for the Taoists Immortals during the Winter Solstice. The tower was nearly complete, so the Emperor conferred the title of "Master" to the mason. However, the carpenters said their wood work was also equal to the work of masons, which the Emperor agreed, so he conferred titles of masters onto them. So forth, other artisans ask for conference of titles, until the wives began to clamor for title. The Emperor and many other men balked at conferring titles to women, so the wives angrily stopped cooking, weaving, and cleaning from the artisan's homes. Without their wives to cook, weave, or clean, they stopped working. The Emperor, feeling the growing tension both among his artisans and in the Imperial Households, obliged and understood that women are not merely "masters" of a craft; they are the foundation of the empire. Their title was greater than any mere master.

7. One Candle

8. The Night Before Christmas

TV/Movies

9. Elf

10. Black Christmas

11. Charlie Brown's Christmas

12.It's A Wonderful Life

Writers are limited to one theme each

Summary: Basically, I think we should have fun with our story writing. I want readers to enjoy various perspectives on classic Holiday songs, stories, and media adaptations. You should enjoy this as much as the readers and just have fun with the different interpretations on what these holidays mean to you. The limitation on this type of writing is based on themes and how you alone interpret it. You are unique in writing this.

Format: No limits on words, all interpretations of the subject are accepted, i.e. haiku, poetry, short story, long form novella, and novels as long as you convey the theme.

All Stories need to have: "Holiday Story Themes 2013: (Theme)" as it's title for easy search

Deadline: December 23nd

Prize: Yes, this part I wanted to add in. I will give a $50.00 Amazon Gift card after the readers choose their favorite story on a separate thread.

So who wants to write!!!!

Edited by W_L

So Far:

Songs:

1. All I want for Christmas is You- Joann414

3. There's No Place Like Home For The Holiday

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

6. Masters of the Winter Solstice

7. One Candle

TV/Movies

9. Elf- Scotty94

10. Black Christmas

12.It's A Wonderful Life

Edited by W_L

You can use the original story or title as inspiration for your story.

As I said, this should be fun for you and the readers. Black Christmas, both versions, was a slasher movie set around Christmas, but if you want to do something less dark or even more dark, like an evil Santa who brainwashes kids to be his elves and force them to work in his factory with candy canes laced with addictive drugs, be my guest :P  (Aren't you glad I don't write horror :o )

Looks like there's some steam in this engine:

So Far:

Songs:

3. There's No Place Like Home For The Holiday - Sasha Distan

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

7. One Candle

TV/Movies

9. Elf- Scotty94

10. Black Christmas - Thorn Wilde

12.It's A Wonderful Life

OK - if we get kelley to take a topic my december will be officially booked solid!

as though i hadn't given you enough to deal with. i must write more, i'm obviously not working you hard enough.

• Like 1

I have also picked mine, I am going Capra, "It's a Wonderful Life" with a few twists (No, I am not going to do a "Trevor" or "teen suicide" story, there is already a lot of awareness on that. I want to go in another direction less developed and even less written in the gay community about people some of us might want to see dead. I am an unconventional writer :devil: )

So Far:

Songs:

4. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year- Winged_Wolf

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

7. One Candle

8. The Night Before Christmas- Aditus

TV/Movies

9. Elf- Scotty94

12.It's A Wonderful Life- W.L

• Like 1

I know, it's rude to bump your own thread (no rules against it on GA, but I've heard the internet etiquette), I will try to limit this to a handful of times just to keep the list up and the thread visible

Songs:

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

7. One Candle

TV/Movies

9. Elf- Scotty94

I've described my concept in my blog for my story based on "It's a Wonderful Life" as a corollary to the central question of Capra's movie in inverse nature, "How much is a life worth, when it has affected others so negatively?". The story will center around a recently "outed" pastor, who many people might be happy to see die in our community and his "former" group.

• 2 weeks later...

Songs:

Literature

5. A Christmas Carol

7. One Candle

TV/Movies

9. Elf- Scotty94

oh god. my story (which i've not even started yet) has evolved all by itself into a fully fledged novel. dammit. so this might have to be prologue type chapter. grrr.

I so know what you mean... I might start another story altogether for this one. *panic*

• Like 2

You have got to find a way to keep your characters on a leash wolf!

But ma! they are all already on leashes... and in the traces running the trails. OK, so i have 28 people and 11 huskies out of control. it's not my fault.

... you can help tidy up right? :lugh: