Road project in Iceland delayed to protect the Elves

The story is all over Internet news sources, but apparently one of the reasons cited for halting this road project... Elves.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/icelands-hidden-elves-delay-road-projects

Elf advocates have joined forces with environmentalists to urge the Icelandic Road and Coastal Commission and local authorities to abandon a highway project building a direct route from the Alftanes peninsula, where the president has a home, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer. They fear disturbing elf habitat and claim the area is particularly important because it contains an elf church.

My favorite section of the story:

A survey conducted by the University of Iceland in 2007 found that 62 percent of the 1,000 respondents thought it was at least possible that elves exist.

I've seen plenty of Trolls on the Internet to believe in them, but I'm just not ready to accept that Elves exist.

• Like 1

If folklore had no allure for humans, then the whole array of mythical literature would never exist.  No Harry Potter.  No Hobbit and LOTR.  No Grimm Fairy Tales.  No Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber series.  It boggles the mind to think what would have never been.  

So the fact that a remote island set in the far north filled with lava flows, volcanoes, and cold has a strong folklore history about elves or the 'hidden folk' is neither surprising or unbelievable.  

• Like 2

If folklore had no allure for humans, then the whole array of mythical literature would never exist.  No Harry Potter.  No Hobbit and LOTR.  No Grimm Fairy Tales.  No Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber series.  It boggles the mind to think what would have never been.  

So the fact that a remote island set in the far north filled with lava flows, volcanoes, and cold has a strong folklore history about elves or the 'hidden folk' is neither surprising or unbelievable.  

well considering the Island has a Scandinavian Heritage... it shouldn't be surprising at all, since they're one of the biggest contributers to Elfish Folklore....

Yes by all means yee must protect the elves...

We're nearly extinct you know.... and it's all that contruction... that'll do it to anyone...

just as the Native Americans... :)

I've seen one around here recently wonder if he has gone to Iceland :P ...cel come back and stop messing up construction projects.

yes had to protect my people in Iceland :P