Gay Literary Festivals?

Kilgore

Is anyone aware of any major, ongoing, gay literary festivals? I've Googled and haven't found much. There are plenty of festivals that feature gay forums or reading series. But is there a festival that focuses specifically on gay literature and/or gay authors?

Cheers, Gary

• Like 1

does there need to be? Aren't literary festivals specific enough without the extra filter? Look for LGTBQ festivals instead and see what that throws up, it's a broader net.

• Site Administrator

There are several regional author groups that focus on gay literature in the Pacific Northwest, though I'm not sure of elsewhere. A lot of the time, though, you won't find their events advertised a lot outside the group, so my suggestion would be to look into that avenue instead.

• Like 1

"Look for LGTBQ festivals instead and see what that throws up, it's a broader net."

Yeah I did try that --very little out there. And, does there need to be? Probably not NEED (and I do attend literary festivals that include LGTBQ writers -- in fact, i work for one, and we have had several gay and lesbian writers). I would be willing to travel to a festival where the focus is on Gay Lit (and by that I mean LBGTQ). But can't seem to find anything. Guess I'll have to start one :-)

Running a search for Literary Festivals, I got results back of 41,600,000 results hits.  Surely at least SOME of those must feature LGBTQ based literature, and may even showcase gay writers.

Perhaps I am speaking out of turn here, but I thought the overall goal was to make the world more inclusive.  Looking to attend and or create "gay literature" events seems to me to be headed towards more exclusivity. Wouldn't the time be better spent getting people to understand it isn't "gay literature" as opposed to "straight literature" but it is all simply "LITERATURE"?

• Like 3

Perhaps I am speaking out of turn here, but I thought the overall goal was to make the world more inclusive.  Looking to attend and or create "gay literature" events seems to me to be headed towards more exclusivity. Wouldn't the time be better spent getting people to understand it isn't "gay literature" as opposed to "straight literature" but it is all simply "LITERATURE"?

I tried to say what Ma said, but as usual, she said it better.