Poetry Prompt 10 – Italian Sonnet

It did feel good for a bit, till the faulty rhyming scheme was pointed out to me. So, I hear the bell for the second round :) .

Peter, don't be discouraged! The Italian form is the more challenging sonnet to do in English; that's just the way it is. 

As far as rhyme schemes go, I tried to give what I thought was the most 'instructional' combination, but there are a lot of variations in this form and none of them are any more right or wrong than the others. 

For the two quatrains, using only a and b rhymes is difficult, and some writers in English prefer to shake it up a little bit with a-b-b-a; c-b-b-c. Or some even introduce a new 'kissing' rhyme for the second quatrain, thus making it a-b-b-a; c-d-d-c. 

For the six lines, there is even more variation! Petrarca used c-d-e-c-d-e. I chose the more usual c-d-c-d-c-d, but another very popular variation in English (loved by the Romantic Era poets) is c-d-c-d-e-e!

Anyway, please do not be intimidated by the form or its 'rules,' because it is a challenge and there are many many variations to explore.            

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

Ah yes, I remember...abba; abba; really is hard. I was so happy I detected the 'what rhymes with...sites. Oh btw, I needed a second go too. lol

'Second go's' are good, Adi! I encourage you to find that rhyming site again :yes: 

• Like 1

Peter, don't be discouraged! The Italian form is the more challenging sonnet to do in English; that's just the way it is. 

As far as rhyme schemes go, I tried to give what I thought was the most 'instructional' combination, but there are a lot of variations in this form and none of them are any more right or wrong than the others. 

For the two quatrains, using only a and b rhymes is difficult, and some writers in English prefer to shake it up a little bit with a-b-b-a; c-b-b-c. Or some even introduce a new 'kissing' rhyme for the second quatrain, thus making it a-b-b-a; c-d-d-c. 

For the six lines, there is even more variation! Petrarca used c-d-e-c-d-e. I chose the more usual c-d-c-d-c-d, but another very popular variation in English (loved by the Romantic Era poets) is c-d-c-d-e-e!

Anyway, please do not be intimidated by the form or its 'rules,' because it is a challenge and there are many many variations to explore.            

K, my head hurts now... 

• Like 2

...just found...?

I messed up my first and wrote a second, but forgot to post it. There were some parts I wasn't so sure about... Maybe I post it at 'live poets society' first.

• Like 2

I messed up my first and wrote a second, but forgot to post it. There were some parts I wasn't so sure about... Maybe I post it at 'live poets society' first.

Thanks for posting another Italian Sonnet! I like it, and left you a review :) 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...