IS UP! and also, i like the new banners. they are teh pretties. :2thumbs:

Yep, It's up!!! I just read it and it's great! I won't mention any details yet (too early), but it's a very critical chapter!!

I like the new banners, too.

Dan,

Fantastic chapter as usual - just the right mixture of humor, plot, character, etc. to form a finely woven tapestry. I must say that the previous few chapters (now 3rd/4th timeline) were an excellent way to bring down the physical tension in the story, and bring up the psychological tension as Davey struggles to close the Do-Over loop and remain firmly in this timeline.

And while it will be sad to see this one go - it has been a very, very enjoyable journey.

Yours,

C.

• Site Administrator

Another good chapter Dan. And those new banners do look nice ;)

Myr

A very interesting chapter!

Spoiler space (highlight to see the text)

The first thing that struck me was the reference to the round window and freezing cold. That was a clever way of saying that Davey wasn't in his California house, followed right after by mentioning he was in DC. Very well done!

I loved the way the story eased into the fact that Davey and his sister were in the White House. However, it also struck me as a bit odd, as I don't recall any circular windows in the White House residence, nor anywhere else in the White House.

I very much liked the part where it was alluded (without saying so directly) that Davey's father was being offered the job of heading up the AIDS (Or GRID, as it was then known) task force.

And a cliffhanger!!! Poor Davey... Will he know who he is when he wakes up? Assuming he wakes up at all?

Edit by me, a few days later: There is indeed a circular window in the White House. I was going by memory, and my memory isn't that good. Mea Culpa!

Another great chapter, Dan! Thank you!!!

Edited by C James

One other thing I'd like to comment on:

The bit of information that Reagan cut out of the letter, something only he knew about, and Davey used for verification.

I'd been wondering how Davey would "verify" himself this time, to just Reagan. Well, that's now been done, in a most intriguing fashion.

My conjecture is that Dan didn't know anything suitable about Reagan to use in that way, so very cleverly just alluded to it existing. If so, I think that's a very clever way of getting around such a factual roadblock when using a historical figure in fictional literature. I'd have certainly never thought of doing that.

BTW, where is everybody??? This chapter has been out for two days, and all I see are four posts?

One other thing I'd like to comment on:

The bit of information that Reagan cut out of the letter, something only he knew about, and Davey used for verification.

I'd been wondering how Davey would "verify" himself this time, to just Reagan. Well, that's now been done, in a most intriguing fashion.

My conjecture is that Dan didn't know anything suitable about Reagan to use in that way, so very cleverly just alluded to it existing. If so, I think that's a very clever way of getting around such a factual roadblock when using a historical figure in fictional literature. I'd have certainly never thought of doing that.

BTW, where is everybody??? This chapter has been out for two days, and all I see are four posts?

I actually debated how I was going to handle this over a two month time. Yes, I thought about it off and on for over two months. I started with ideas of dirt dug up after Reagan's Presidency that wasn't public knowledge back in 1981. Then I toyed with the idea of making something up. Finally I decided we (you and I) really didn't need to know what Davey wrote down. It was within the realm of believability that Davey was given some intense personal situation knowledge and wrote that down. It's not something the President would have told anyone, except maybe his wife.

That's how we ended up with that scene, and I think it actually worked better than anything else would have...

I actually debated how I was going to handle this over a two month time. Yes, I thought about it off and on for over two months. I started with ideas of dirt dug up after Reagan's Presidency that wasn't public knowledge back in 1981. Then I toyed with the idea of making something up. Finally I decided we (you and I) really didn't need to know what Davey wrote down. It was within the realm of believability that Davey was given some intense personal situation knowledge and wrote that down. It's not something the President would have told anyone, except maybe his wife.

That's how we ended up with that scene, and I think it actually worked better than anything else would have...

I think it was very well done! I really liked the way he cut it out of the letter, no doubt to burn it. ROFL!

BTW, was it AIDS you were alluding to in that offer Reagan made to Davey's father? The CDC report on what later became known as AIDS was in June of 81, but it's not too much of a stretch (even without dramatic licence) to believe that the government, if it was looking, might have been concerned in January of 81. So, I'm not nit-picking the use of AIDS on that date, just wondering if I had it wrong, as it's not specifically mentioned.

Yes, it was AIDS, and the government had actually been looking at it longer thanks to some strange letters certain doctors got, which made them look at certain cases a little differently, and thus brought the disease to attention a lot easier...and got the administration to look at it as something to be dealt with earlier as well...

Yes, it was AIDS, and the government had actually been looking at it longer thanks to some strange letters certain doctors got, which made them look at certain cases a little differently, and thus brought the disease to attention a lot easier...and got the administration to look at it as something to be dealt with earlier as well...

Ahhhh!!! So, those letters must have been amongst Davey's letters that he had Papa send. That would make sense! I was amazed that he wasn't doing something about that. I guess I missed it somehow. I should have assumed it, though.

I am really looking forward to see how the next three chapters unfold.. 0:)

(yes, I know, but I'm hoping that you can't count.) :devil:

Hmm--it sounds like a certain doctor we met in the first Do Over got a letter and some advice, (though not necessarily in time to save Brian's Uncle Rich--unless Uncle Rich also got a letter or two admonishing him to practice safe sex)? Answers might be forthcoming in Chapters 39 or 40? I can hardly wait, but I don;t have much choice.

--Rigel

Hmm--it sounds like a certain doctor we met in the first Do Over got a letter and some advice, (though not necessarily in time to save Brian's Uncle Rich--unless Uncle Rich also got a letter or two admonishing him to practice safe sex)? Answers might be forthcoming in Chapters 39 or 40? I can hardly wait, but I don;t have much choice.

--Rigel

Rigel, GREAT point about Uncle Rich! I had forgotten that Davey came back early enough to do something there.

I'll certainly agree about anxiously waiting for the next chapter, too.

Because it is reflective, not demented. :blink:

Speaking of reflective, demented, and other states of emotional extremis, there has been much speculation

as to how you reacted upon receiving Chapter 36 of DOR? (the one that ended with Davey falling down the stairs, beginning his Coma). Speculation included that your screams would be audible for at least the few states nearest Florida. 0:)

Rigel, GREAT point about Uncle Rich! I had forgotten that Davey came back early enough to do something there.

That's all I could think about (almost). Who cares about WWIII and nuclear holocausts ? Uncle Rich was nice ! ^^

More seriously, I've really thought about the "Uncle Rich" problem more than the others. I could see ways to get rid of the other time travelers, especially with money (even if Dan didn't choose that way it seems) and I also could see ways to avoid many problems in Davey's own family.

But how do the heck can you convince a total stranger to have safe sex in times when it really didn't seem so important ? O_o

That's all I could think about (almost). Who cares about WWIII and nuclear holocausts ? Uncle Rich was nice ! ^^

More seriously, I've really thought about the "Uncle Rich" problem more than the others. I could see ways to get rid of the other time travelers, especially with money (even if Dan didn't choose that way it seems) and I also could see ways to avoid many problems in Davey's own family.

But how do the heck can you convince a total stranger to have safe sex in times when it really didn't seem so important ? O_o

That is an absolutely excellent question!!! That would be difficult if not impossible, and would be highly inclined to be dismissed by the recipient as a hoax. :blink:

Hmmmm... I think this will be exceedingly interesting to see how (if) it's handled. :king:

The biggest question on my mind, though: is Davey in a coma again? And if so, how long until his memory returns?