RIP Gilbert Baker

Daddydavek

RIP, Gilbert Baker.  

I remember in the early days of the gay pride movement there was a lot of controversy over what the gay pride symbol should be.  In the end, the rainbow flag was the symbol most people accepted, and now it's a very recognizable symbol.  It's a shame he died so young.  He should have had another twenty years ahead of him.  

• Like 5

The ultimate measure of a

man is not where he stands

in moment of comfort and

convenience, but where he

stands at times of challenge

and controversy.              

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

With a vision in his mind and a needle and thread in his hand, he accomplished more than most men could with a sword. History will remember him as do the untold millions empowered by his banner. His passing reminds me of our own mortality(4 mths my senior).

(I can't seem to get his picture to post here, sorry)

Gilbert Baker

1951 - 2017

RIP

Often when  I see or think of this flag the song 'Rainbow Connections' comes to mind. Some how, to me, the words seem to fit. I chose this particular version of the video for the future generations to come.

Kenny Loggins - Rainbow Connection Lyrics - YouTube

sandrewn

(a dreamer)

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 5

I guess my mention of his death in the When We Rise topic wasn’t noticed. I thought about posting a separate one like this, but didn’t get around to it. Thank you for doing it, Daddydavek.

They had a small gathering yesterday evening at Harvey Milk Plaza in The Castro in his honor where they lowered the rainbow flag and replaced it with a new one. Gilbert didn’t believe that we should ever fly the rainbow flag at half-staff.

40 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I guess my mention of his death in the When We Rise topic wasn’t noticed. I thought about posting a separate one like this, but didn’t get around to it. Thank you for doing it, Daddydavek.

Your right I did miss it. This was not a snub or anything, I am still trying to get this new setup here sorted out. I find that I miss quite a bit of stuff, that comes in now. I'll figure it all out in time, God willing and the creek don't rise,a John Wayne(ism).

Keep the faith

sandrewn

• Like 1