Sign in to follow this  
Sam Wyer

Feature request: engagement opportunities

Question

Hi

Can there be a single place to track/organise/link to/or otherwise collate the current (structured) opportunities for engagement with GA?  For example, today, there’s (at least) the Halloween writing competition open for judging, the 2018 novella contest, and the anthology theme voting all open, but it’s not ‘easy’ to know that, or find them all.

Of course you can use the search box, but then, you’d have to already know they existed in order to search for them, and even then, it’s not massively intuitive to get to the ‘right’ post.  I’m sure that all of these things have appeared on the front page previously, but quite understandably, they also ‘fall off’ relatively quickly and before the respective events are over.

Sam

Edit: I realise that every such new feature requires time and effort to implement, and for something like this, ongoing effort to maintain.  I think I’m a relatively engaged user of GA, and I’d happily volunteer some time if I can help.

Edited by Sam Wyer
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

Hi

Can there be a single place to track/organise/link to/or otherwise collate the current (structured) opportunities for engagement with GA?  For example, today, there’s (at least) the Halloween writing competition open for judging, the 2018 novella contest, and the anthology theme voting all open, but it’s not ‘easy’ to know that, or find them all.

Of course you can use the search box, but then, you’d have to already know they existed in order to search for them, and even then, it’s not massively intuitive to get to the ‘right’ post.  I’m sure that all of these things have appeared on the front page previously, but quite understandably, they also ‘fall off’ relatively quickly and before the respective events are over.

Sam

Hi Sam,

The weekly wrap up in the blog always contains the contests (and now I include links as well), and other things such as the voting. Many times, these are also included in the newsletters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Renee Stevens said:

Hi Sam,

The weekly wrap up in the blog always contains the contests (and now I include links as well), and other things such as the voting. Many times, these are also included in the newsletters.

How right you are, thanks.  Goes to show how carefully I read/remember those :/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sam Wyer said:

How right you are, thanks.  Goes to show how carefully I read/remember those :/ 

You are most welcome :)

• Like 2

Psssst Renee!  You just had a volunteer to help!  Don't waste the opportunity! Sign him up for SOMETHING!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jamessavik
      In my latest project I've got more than a hundred named characters.
      Insanity!? Probably but, that's how I roll. Goofy bastard.
      So... how do you keep track of it all? It's a struggle.
      These are the tricks I'm using and, the pros and cons of each.
      1. Dramatis Persona... word document
      This worked Ok until it got to sixteen pages with notes and pointers to other entries. Then it became too complex and cumbersome to easily work well. It lost the virtue of simplicity when it was overloaded  with more and more complex and unformed information.
      This is what it looked like at first:
      Chris Ashley (19) == Father Ashley (n)
      Tony Ramano (18) == Mother Maria Ramano (n)
      Toby Rankin (13) (d) == Father Sam Rankin (deceased)
      Brandon Rankin (14)(d) == Father Sam Rankin (deceased)
      Jeb Somerset (15)(d)  == parents Somersets of Savannah
      Cole Matthews (14)(d) == Father new age fruitcake
      Barry Anderson (13) (d) == trafficked child, actual name is Cutler
      You don't want to know what happened later. Each entry expanded from name, age, shift (day or night), parent to paragraphs and description and sketches and why the F* are my notes outpacing the writing???
      This still exists but it has been trimmed down to only what is needed at a glance. Just basic stats. If I need hair and eye color... Well that's my next step.

2. Dramatis Persona... note cards
      Anybody that's ever written a paper knows about note cards and how handy dandy they are. They were hyper-text before there were computers, right?
      WRONG. Three by five note cards are amazing things. They help in lots of ways... until they become a horrific cluster of complexity and you can't find your arse with a flash light.
      Once again, Keep it simple, stupid. Index cards work but, you can't expect them to be a database.
      They are useful for marching ideas across the desk, matching up characters and seeing how things look. If you keep them simple and don't try to do too much with them, it works FINE.
      Keep it simple and, it works best if you can remember how to write. (That's actually a thing- handwriting vs keyboarding).

3. Dramatis Persona... spreadsheet- for the win.
      Yes it is a clear winner. It's searchable. You can make fields for EVERYTHING. Want to search by how many redheaded characters you have? It's possible. Want to sort by age? You can do it. Want to know who is boffing who? Yeppers, it's a complete possibility.
      There are highly complex writing packages that you could spend forever learning and not get anything done. Databases are possible but if you can do that, someone wants to hire you to fix the mess his last guy left.
      Spreadsheets are old tech and have been around forever. The key thing about them is they are built generically enough that as your complexity grows, it can accommodate you without breaking anything or having to start over.

Your mileage may vary. If you've got a sane number of characters, data management isn't a huge issue. You may absolutely love Scrivner and have figured out how to make it all work. That's fine. If you can use Excel, you've got a serious power tool.

• By crucifixcrusader
      Hey I'm curious, does anyone use some ambiance when writing like music or a specific you-tuber? I personally, quite often have music that fits the mood of what I'm writing, or listen to Fredrik Knudsen.
    • By Myr
      Who can participate in the Gay Authors Anthologies?
      Everyone!
      Details can always be found in the Anthology forum, that all author groups have access to:
      https://gayauthors.org/forums/forum/48-gay-authors-anthology/

• By Myr
      Each year, Gay Authors sets a number of themes for stories.  Typically, there are 4 themes during the year.  An author writes a story that is related to that theme and the story is posted as group with the anthology. 
      These are GA sponsored events.
      More extensive details can be found here in the Anthology Forum:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..