The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

someone asked me why i dont try and publish .. really i dont care about it. i read a thing about a lot of real published authors these days .. the average income except for the lucky few is about $21,000 USD a year.  They need to find other work to survive.  I make more than double that at my job ... i get to write as i feel like it .. and a few kind souls read my work and say they like it. I could self-publish .. delude myself into thinking i've done some amazing thing .. ANYONE can do that.  i'm not going to. I like my job most of the time. i live the life i love..and i get to interact with beautiful, intelligent, funny, interesting and talented people.  Publishing doesnt make me good, or successful .. because i already am.  Tell your mother that. Tell her she is missing out on a huge part of you.

I would love to publish something, though. I mean, even if I couldn't make a living doing it, it could still bring in a bit of extra cash. Like my music. I dunno. You're right, though, it's not some measure of ability or success. The fact that people want to read my stories is in and of itself amazing, I think. And yeah, she is missing out. It's like she doesn't want this part of me in her life...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

I would love to publish something, though. I mean, even if I couldn't make a living doing it, it could still bring in a bit of extra cash. Like my music. I dunno. You're right, though, it's not some measure of ability or success. The fact that people want to read my stories is in and of itself amazing, I think. And yeah, she is missing out. It's like she doesn't want this part of me in her life...

If you want it, then you should try by all means go for it. I'll be happy for you. I remember my mom saying to me about something i wrote in school ... You should write more often tim, you're good...  isn't that all we want from our parents?  Their support?  If i could, i'd tell your mom how good you are. xoxo

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

If you want it, then you should try by all means go for it. I'll be happy for you. I remember my mom saying to me about something i wrote in school ... You should write more often tim, you're good...  isn't that all we want from our parents?  Their support?  If i could, i'd tell your mom how good you are. xoxo

❤️❤️❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

Okay, feeling kind of emotional now. Long day, I guess. Also, brain in overdrive.

hugs :D   try and rest.  For me, i have a hungry Husband to feed.  Back in a bit xoxo

• Love 3

Ugh, why do I do this to myself? Just reread a webcomic I read in my teens. Thing is, it was abandoned halfway through the eleventh chapter and the artist just kind of up and vanished (I mean, I found him on Tumblr 10 years later, but the comic is still dead). And it's so good! It's, like, gay Supernatural meets Sandman, kind of. All angels and demons and gorgeous broken boys. And I get to the last page and just, fuck! I will never know what happens next!

This has been Thorn airing his frustrations. Please resume your regularly scheduled programming.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, MacGreg said:

Very sorry you have to be at the mall. I'd rather stick a screwdriver into the palm of my hand. Be well, molls.

Having experienced both, i agree Mac!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Ugh, why do I do this to myself? Just reread a webcomic I read in my teens. Thing is, it was abandoned halfway through the eleventh chapter and the artist just kind of up and vanished (I mean, I found him on Tumblr 10 years later, but the comic is still dead). And it's so good! It's, like, gay Supernatural meets Sandman, kind of. All angels and demons and gorgeous broken boys. And I get to the last page and just, fuck! I will never know what happens next!

This has been Thorn airing his frustrations. Please resume your regularly scheduled programming.

erm... fanfic ... write it yourself ... :D 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

erm... fanfic ... write it yourself ... :D 

God, I don't think I could. Not this one. Cause I know Jesse was going somewhere with it, that he had a clear idea, and I can't recreate that. I was just along for the ride. So much about those characters that we never learned... Besides, it would feel weird cause I almost kind of knew him for a while.

EDIT: The comic in question was called Metanoia. By Jesse Hajicek. I'm not gonna link it, cause if you click that link you will read it, and you'll be sad when it ends. Well, you will if you're anything like me...

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

God, I don't think I could. Not this one. Cause I know Jesse was going somewhere with it, that he had a clear idea, and I can't recreate that. I was just along for the ride. So much about those characters that we never learned... Besides, it would feel weird cause I almost kind of knew him for a while.

i get ya ... :D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

:) Proud of you ...

Thank you, Bro.

On the subject of going the publishing route. As I mentioned before, and my ego is going to show here, I am an excellent storyteller but a shitty writer. And the reason is, I don't follow the conventional rules for publishing houses. I do infodumps. I do Prologues. I follow a "Tell, Don't Show" model at times because frankly showing bogs down the story. I exclusively write in third-person omnisentient view, with head-hopping, and mix it with Deep PoV. I honestly admit I'm a failure at a first-person limited view.

The only reason why I'm even entertaining the idea of trying to publish something is that my Mom challenged me to do it. She wanted to but never got around to it. Had to take care of me, dad, and the bitch, and went to nursing school for her RN license and degree. She did it a while ago, and then again after the Fall Anthology came out.

I've been looking at Dreamspinner Press and their Dramspun Beyond line.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Thank you, Bro.

On the subject of going the publishing route. As I mentioned before, and my ego is going to show here, I am an excellent storyteller but a shitty writer. And the reason is, I don't follow the conventional rules for publishing houses. I do infodumps. I do Prologues. I follow a "Tell, Don't Show" model at times because frankly showing bogs down the story. I exclusively write in third-person omnisentient view, with head-hopping, and mix it with Deep PoV. I honestly admit I'm a failure at a first-person limited view.

The only reason why I'm even entertaining the idea of trying to publish something is that my Mom challenged me to do it. She wanted to but never got around to it. Had to take care of me, dad, and the bitch, and went to nursing school for her RN license and degree. She did it a while ago, and then again after the Fall Anthology came out.

if you want to do it ... go for it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Go for it, A! You wouldn't be the first to publish a book with unconventional writing. And what's the worst that can happen, really? Do the thing! :hug: 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Wish my mum did. She doesn't want to hear about GA. And she keeps saying I should try and write something to get published, but she won't read the stuff I post here, even when I send her links to stories without sex in them. This is what I write. I can't just choose to write something else if it's not something I want to write...

5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

someone asked me why i dont try and publish .. really i dont care about it. i read a thing about a lot of real published authors these days .. the average income except for the lucky few is about $21,000 USD a year.  They need to find other work to survive.  I make more than double that at my job ... i get to write as i feel like it .. and a few kind souls read my work and say they like it. I could self-publish .. delude myself into thinking i've done some amazing thing .. ANYONE can do that.  i'm not going to. I like my job most of the time. i live the life i love..and i get to interact with beautiful, intelligent, funny, interesting and talented people.  Publishing doesnt make me good, or successful .. because i already am.  Tell your mother that. Tell her she is missing out on a huge part of you.

5 hours ago, MacGreg said:

That's fucking beautiful, boy.

what Sir said

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

"Conventional" and "artistic" are incompatible concepts.  "Conventional" stifles creativity.  Do what suits your purpose and talents, and go for it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

if you want to do it ... go for it.

4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Go for it, A! You wouldn't be the first to publish a book with unconventional writing. And what's the worst that can happen, really? Do the thing! :hug: 

Not an excuse, but I have another priority that I need to focus on for the time being. Getting my degree.

Then finishing stories for here on GA, in the time I've allocated for writing. Need to finish the Tampa Chronicles series. Book Four is the last one. Period. Then I'm reworking my EVE Online FanFic, and my projects of Timeless Online a LitRPG, Freedom Station - SciFi and my attempt at doing a first-person story exclusively, and One Little Spark... my Spring Anthology story.

After that... then I'll seriously think about it.

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..