Mikiesboy

ratiocination Audio pronunciation

noun | rat-ee-oh-suh-NAY-shun  

Definition

:
the process of exact thinking : reasoning

:
a reasoned train of thought

Edgar Allan Poe is said to have called the 1841 story "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" his first "tale of ratiocination." Many today agree with his assessment and consider that Poe classic to be literature's first detective story. Poe didn't actually use ratiocination in "Rue Morgue," but the term does appear three times in its 1842 sequel, "The Mystery of Marie Roget." In "Marie Roget," the author proved his reasoning ability (ratiocination traces to ratio, Latin for "reason" or "computation"). The second tale was based on an actual murder, and as the case unfolded after the publication of Poe's work, it became clear that his fictional detective had done an amazing job of reasoning through the crime.

• Love 4
  • Wow 1
Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

Truth.

Also, ratiocination is an amazing word. Never heard it before.

i think it's soooo cool when words like that pop up ... 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
33 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

for us it is freezing rain and suddenly after the thaw...everything is shiny and white again ..

It is indeed. You’re not the only one staying home. I couldn’t resist after waking up at 2:30 feeling crap creeping at my door. Looking outside, the traffic is really light, so I think a lot of people are staying put. Course, there have to be idiots out there, and one of them just went speeding (not exaggerating in the slightest *sigh*) down the road because there was no traffic in his way. Hope he doesn’t cause an accident...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Reader1810 said:

@Mikiesboy

It is, but I’m tripping over the pronunciation clue even though it’s right in front of me. 

I know what you mean. I want to pronounce the first bit like you'd pronounce 'ratio', but apparently that's incorrect. If you click the speaker symbol it'll take you to the Merriam-Webster website where you can click it again and hear it said out loud.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MichaelS36 said:

Love it when you quote me, boy.   I did used to drive in this stuff.  I've seen some terrible accidents because of driving in crap weather. People do not seem to get it. Roads are not just the same, speeds cannot be the same. Stay the f home! … Used to drive me crazy. They go out, get into trouble and yet expected us, police, fire, ambulance to be right there. We.. they put their lives on the line. If people stayed home, then it would be safer for everyone.  I know tim used to worry a lot. 

Helps if you've got proper winter tyres, though. People do here, generally, and we don't get a lot of accidents, even in freezing rain. Still, I agree, people should just stay home.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I know what you mean. I want to pronounce the first bit like you'd pronounce 'ratio', but apparently that's incorrect. If you click the speaker symbol it'll take you to the Merriam-Webster website where you can click it again and hear it said out loud.

I tried that once and it worked, but only that one time. Maybe, I’ll give it another go. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I tried that once and it worked, but only that one time. Maybe, I’ll give it another go. 

Well, it worked for me today, so maybe it'll work for you, too. :) 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3

hopefully not  but i'm gonna put some hot water in a thermos.. just in case we lose power... at least we can have one hot drink...

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

hopefully not  but i'm gonna put some hot water in a thermos.. just in case we lose power... at least we can have one hot drink...

I hadn’t thought of that possibility. Fingers crossed, we don’t lose power. 🤞

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Okay i know i am weird cuz i fall in love with things.. swiss chard, my instant pot and now these:

image.png.c89bc7e2e1d888b78fc2e90577f0a3ed.png   We bought them a few months ago.. and i love them.  We needed new ones cuz our others died and these are the coolest.. i love the shape, the see-thru and the not tooo huge size of them. And they work wonderfully.  I was just using them to season my toasted melted-cheese sandwich with tomato slices when i thought about the day i first tasted freshly ground pepper. It was such a revelation to me. I was out with Michael somewhere and the waiter asked and i just said no automatically. Michael said i should try it ... wow. What a wonderful yet simple thing. I pity all that pre-ground pepper that sits losing it's wonderful flavour in shaker bottles.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Okay i know i am weird cuz i fall in love with things.. swiss chard, my instant pot and now these:

image.png.c89bc7e2e1d888b78fc2e90577f0a3ed.png   We bought them a few months ago.. and i love them.  We needed new ones cuz our others died and these are the coolest.. i love the shape, the see-thru and the not tooo huge size of them. And they work wonderfully.  I was just using them to season my toasted melted-cheese sandwich with tomato slices when i thought about the day i first tasted freshly ground pepper. It was such a revelation to me. I was out with Michael somewhere and the waiter asked and i just said no automatically. Michael said i should try it ... wow. What a wonderful yet simple thing. I pity all that pre-ground pepper that sits losing it's wonderful flavour in shaker bottles.

I love salt and pepper mills. I need to get some for here. If you hadn't tried it, a salt grinder with Himalayan salt is wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i get no image

but yes to concentrating on what's important

Not sure if you can see it, but this is the image tim posted. 

Hmm... I copied it, and it showed until I saved it. Another sure why. 

image.png.6531b5a53111377a6b0dbe2c0c6c10

Edited by Reader1810
  • Sad 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..