Inconsequential background or LGBTQ marginalization?

I watched Jimmy Kimmel Live this evening because Daniel Radcliffe was the major guest, but Troye Sivan was the musical guest who closed out the show. What disturbed me was the two pairs of heterosexuals whose apparent only role was to cuddle to make straight people feel more comfortable while they watched an Openly Gay man sing. The four heteros did not play instruments, sing, or dance. They merely seemed to be props to exist in the background of a few closeup shots. I couldn’t figure out exactly what the lyrics were, but there didn’t seem to be any connection to the cuddlers.

Am I being over-sensitive or was this yet another example of LGBTQ marginalization and straight-washing?

2 hours ago, dughlas said:

I didn't see the episode so can't really comment.

Just for you, dughlas!

Spoiler

Everyone else will ignore this post, right?  ;–)

For those who, like me, block videos from automatically loading and playing, here are a few links:

Jimmy Kimmel Live: Troye Sivan & Lauv – I’m So Tired

Lauv & Troye Sivan – I’m So Tired (official audio)

Lauv & Troye Sivan – I’m So Tired (lyrics)

Jimmy Kimmel Live s17e19 – Daniel Radcliffe, Phoebe Robinson, with musical guest Troye Sivan featuring Lauv

From a different YouTube page that talks about the song:

No love songs allowed! Lauv’s new collaboration with Troye Sivan is all about making music about just about anything, other than romance. Listen to the ultra relatable track here! If you’re a sucker for a sad bop, you’re in luck. 23-year-old Troye Sivan and Lauv teamed up for a new song, and it’s not the feel-good anthems you’re used to! The two hit-makers made a melodic track that will have you alllll in your feels. “I’m so tired” arrived on Jan. 24, and fans can listen to the song below!

“Strangers, killing my lonely nights with strangers

know when they leave i’ll go back to our song

I’ll hold on, it hurts like heaven,” Troye sings on his verse.

“I’m so tired of love songs, tired of love songs, tired of love,”

Lauv follows in the chorus.

The song serves as the follow up to Lauv’s single “There’s No Way” featuring Julia Michaels, which has received over 83 million Spotify streams to date. No big deal! Can’t get enough of the pair’s new track? The excitement only gets bigger than here! The pair are set to perform the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live on February 6th. Be sure to tune in! We are loving this low-key bop! With Winter in full swing, this anti-romance anthem is a sure-fire way to heat up the coldest months of the year.

Note: I haven’t watched the links. I probably should have at least watched the one with lyrics, but I won’t.  ;–)

Given the subject matter, it’s possible that the cuddling couples were meant to be ironic. In which case I get it. 

Can I just say that that other guy is a terrible live singer, though? Like, compare the two. Listen to Troye’s flawless, gorgeous voice, and then that shaky voice the other guy has. Typical recording artist who can’t handle singing live...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really can't comment on droughtquake's original question as I haven't yet watched the clip (will do later - just getting ready to go out for the night).

But one thing I like about being a member of GA is the education it provides me. I'd never come across the term straight-washing before, but a quick Google has now left me much better informed. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried looking up Lauv. I found out he’s from SF, but his Wikipedia page only mentions ‘relationships’ without mentioning gender. There were suggestions that Troye announcing that Lauv was his new boyfriend was just a publicity stunt.  ;–)

The camera pulled back very quickly when Troye and Lauv embraced and had their heads together at the end of the song.

Even if the couples were meant to be ironic, why wasn’t there a same-sex couple included? It would have been more impactful if the couples had gotten up and paired off by gender instead. Jimmy Kimmel has kissed several male guests on air. He even claimed to be Gay to get a reaction from Mike Tyson. There’s also the pretend feud with Matt Damon that included a music video of Jimmy claiming to be f-ing Ben Affleck in retaliation for Matt f-ing Jimmy’s at-the-time-girlfriend, Sarah Silverman. While he’s not the most evolved person in the world, he doesn’t seem to be homophobic. Neither does his show.

36 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

I may be old and dim eyed, but isn't the middle couple two women? Or is the one sitting with the legs over the knees of the other (classical woman pose) a man? 

You know what, I didn't notice that, but I actually think you're right. Yay, lesbians! :heart: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I understand your ponit but I think the market demographic for this music is young females so they used two attractive hetero couple and one same-sex female couple. Those were images they and straight boys would be comfortable with. The young gay males will only see Troye as they're used to looking past the hetero images in music videos to focus on the artist. Does that explanation make sense? Is it fair ... no.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

There’s also the pretend feud with Matt Damon that included a music video of Jimmy claiming to be f-ing Ben Affleck in retaliation for Matt f-ing Jimmy’s at-the-time-girlfriend, Sarah Silverman.

God, I loved those! So good.

For those who haven't seen:

And:

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I understand your ponit but I think the market demographic for this music is young females so they used two attractive hetero couple and one same-sex female couple. Those were images they and straight boys would be comfortable with. The young gay males will only see Troye as they're used to looking past the hetero images in music videos to focus on the artist. Does that explanation make sense? Is it fair ... no.

I dunno, I know a lot of young females who'd love to look at a male gay couple kissing... Though it could distract from the music.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

The JKL ‘concert’ only feature two couples (plus the two singers and two musicians) on stage. Are you all referring to the music video?

I was talking about the YouTube clip that's first in your post. I see three couples dressed in white. Among them towards the very end, there's one couple with a blond person with their legs over the lap of a very shorthanded woman with large earrings. That blond person is the one I view as a woman ( rather slight of build, movement of hands, position of sitting).

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

I was talking about the YouTube clip that's first in your post. I see three couples dressed in white. Among them towards the very end, there's one couple with a blond person with their legs over the lap of a very shorthanded woman with large earrings. That blond person is the one I view as a woman ( rather slight of build, movement of hands, position of sitting).

What’s really weird is that I saw that when they broadcast it and only saw two couples. For some reason, I didn’t realize there were two couples on the right side of the stage! And since I don’t have a DVR, I couldn’t go back to rematch it.

Sorry. It was just me being oblivious. Again.

33 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

They are difficult to see. The camera angles hide the couple's behind the singers and to get an overview is not easy. With them all dressed in all white, it's even more confusing. I had to watch it several times just to be sure. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

But at least you put the matter up for consideration and asked the question, so you could revise your opinion, instead of staying with your first impression and gut reaction. That has to count for something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

But at least you put the matter up for consideration and asked the question, so you could revise your opinion, instead of staying with your first impression and gut reaction. That has to count for something.

Yeah, I’m blocking a group of people who are seemingly incapable of learning from facts.  ;–)

6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

What’s really weird is that I saw that when they broadcast it and only saw two couples. For some reason, I didn’t realize there were two couples on the right side of the stage! And since I don’t have a DVR, I couldn’t go back to rematch it.

Don't feel too bad about it. I only saw two couples at first, too. There's like one shot where you see all three couples at once.

I think it's kind of awesome that they picked a lesbian couple rather than a male gay one. They've got male homosexuality represented on stage already, in Troye. Nice to get even more diversity, I think. They're nearly all white, though, lol!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Don't feel too bad about it. I only saw two couples at first, too. There's like one shot where you see all three couples at once.

I think it's kind of awesome that they picked a lesbian couple rather than a male gay one. They've got male homosexuality represented on stage already, in Troye. Nice to get even more diversity, I think. They're nearly all white, though, lol!

I think if you look again you'll see only the lesbian couple is white. The first couple is mixed persons of color and the couple on the far right are mixed asian. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I see no reason to apologize. The camera work makes it difficult to see each couple clearly. I only noticed because I was looking for the issue you raised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, jamessavik said:

I haven't watched that prick since the Man Show. I must be horribly old fashioned but I always thought comedians were supposed to be funny. Kimmel just makes me want to punch him.

I've never actually watched his show... Just the odd clip here and there. The Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Sarah Silverman stuff was funny, though, I thought. Though, it's mostly Sarah Silverman who was funny, really.