Some cultural expertise needed for a story in development

Hey, y'all!

I'm planning on writing a story that takes place in Russia (in Chechnya to be exact). Besides it being a tough historical, political and emotional topic, I'm lacking the cultural background to write even rudimentally authentically about living in Russia. That's why I'm reaching out: Is there anyone on this platform who's interested in sharing their experience and answering (tons of – sorry for the amount) questions that come up during the writing process?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

• Like 1

Chechnya is in a part of the old Soviet Union which used to call the Green Line. On the Russian side, it is Russian Orthodox and on the other it is Muslim. There is a long, bloody history of ethnic and religious violence. The Soviets managed to sit on the region with overwhelming force. When the Soviet Union collapsed, all of that pent-up rage came out and turned into the Chechen War in the nineties. It was an ugly guerilla war with some nightmarish incidents like the Beslan School Massacre.

If I am not mistaken, Grozny the Chechen capital, name is Russian for “a terrible place”.  It is a very challenging setting to work with, and you probably have to do as much research as writing.

It is a period of history both sides would like to forget.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

I'm well aware of the so-called "gay purge" in the past few years (I also watched "Welcome to Chechnya") and did some basic research. But of course, that's not experience. That's why I reached out in that post.

Thank you for your historical insight. Some of these information will fit well in the prologue already :)

• 2 weeks later...

I’d seriously read some biographies of Chechen experiences. The best way to learn the intimate details of a society is to get to know somebody from that culture and take a trip home with them. The second best way is to get a good biography of a member of that society’s experience.

Here are some volumes from Good Reads that deal with the Chechen Experience, particular in the Chechen War in the 1990s.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=chechens&qid=WjO3Lpq2GU

I often write from the perspective of other cultures. It takes me out of my comfort zone which can, often, yield some interesting results.

• Like 1