Fandoms for FanFiction coming to Gay Authors Story Archive

• Site Administrator

We have begun development on the next feature update for our Story Archive software.  This update will be introducing "Fandoms" to stories.  Currently, we have a category "FanFiction" with sub-categories for a few different Fandoms.  Going forward after the update, stories in the FanFiction category will have the option to add Fandoms to their story like you would a genre/sub-genre.  This makes crossovers finally functional.

Each fandom will also have characters and relationships.

The intention here is to bring Gay Author's "FanFiction" category and Story Archive system into rough feature parity with the various sites dedicated to FanFictions so that those authors interested in such things can more easily target the Gay Authors audience. We are also increasing our effort to for us to make sure authors are credited for original works.  The most recent update has allowed us to start deploying category-level disclaimers.  We're in the process of updating the wording, but an example snapshot that is already deployed:

image.png

We've begun the legwork to put appropriate language in for each of the current categories and this will carry over when we switch from sub-categories to Fandoms as a method of adding the type of FanFiction it is.  They will also stack, so if you add Marvel Cinematic Universe and Harry Potter, the disclaimers for both will automatically show.

When we get closer to release, I'll asking for more Fandoms you'd like to see listed.

• Love 1
  • 3 months later...

Thanks @Myr, I've been frequenting AO3 a bit for fanfiction due to their variety. I started writing my own fanfiction on GA recently and am glad to see the expansion of the fanfiction category to get more interest. 

Are you planning on any new HP fiction? Most slash writers are focused on Albus/Scorpius as a gay relationship, while James' story got JK Rowling attention and much of the fandom invested. That still leaves Lily Potter unexplored, along with her first cousin Hugo. If I were planning on branching off into more fanfic, it would be to play with this fertile ground that so few people have traversed for storytelling, not for romance, but maybe a kind of fantasy commentary about the modern interaction between straight female-gay male best friend relationships. Will & Grace showed it can be done for sitcoms, why not try concepts for the fantasy genre?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Myr said:

When time allows.  Work and keeping the site running eats my writing time.

Well, how about this, if you start writing an HP fanfic, I'll start my HP fanfic, Deal :) 

I know what you mean, I'm trying to rework some SQL codes in a database right now that is causing headaches for my accounting system. (Hint: I am not an IT professional, but no one seems to know how to make SQL codes work with finance from the IT support team we have)  

• Site Administrator
18 hours ago, W_L said:

if you start writing an HP fanfic, I'll start my HP fanfic, Deal :) 

I need to finish my first one.  I'm still working on that.

• Fingers Crossed 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

This has gone slower than expected.. but... testing the beta 1 that includes the new Fandom System. We can set up description, characters (also with description)

image.png

Looking a specific Fandom.  We include Fandom disclaimer to set up copyright and other items.  There is an option for image, characters, description, etc.

image.png

We are still fixing formatting and other issues... but to give you an idea of where we are going. Stories in the FanFiction category can add any number of Fandoms to the story.  Each time you add a Fandom, it adds options for the Characters in that Fandom. It also adds the proper copyright text to the story.

After you set characters for a story, you can set relationships.  Including cross-Fandom.  (such as Harry Potter/Peter Parker (Spider-Man) below)

image.png

Automatic Disclaimer's added to chapter view, along with proper copyright notifications.  This finally addresses the issue where FanFiction writer's let defaults in our system claim things improperly. We'll be updating the wording, obviously:

image.png

More to come

• Site Administrator

image.png

Oh, Fandoms are not part of the "Add Story Menu".  There is a new Menu for it.  (wizard hat)

image.png

• Site Administrator

Fandoms are not in the "Add Story" menu.  You add them later, so it works like adding chapter 1

image.png

You get an alert that the FanFiction category requires a Fandom.  go figure...

You can, of course, select as many Fandoms as apply, giving you a handy cross over option