TOSOM seems like it will be going much lo(n)ger.

haha vic! when i read that i started laughing aloud. ah the little things that can make you laugh.

So I was one of the people that read the first 2 chapters and thought avid and oliver where the same person. But now after reading this chapter I agree with part of what OTRFK said. I am starting to think they are 2 different people just by the way the parents seem to treat them. The dynamic between the parents and david and oliver seemed different to me. Although oliver in the dark room too kinda makes me thing they are the same. I donno what to think yet. I want some more chapters!!! haha Great story so far tho!

Jon

I am starting to think they are 2 different people just by the way the parents seem to treat them. The dynamic between the parents and david and oliver seemed different to me.

I was thinking about this. But maybe they treat David so badly because maybe Oliver is the 'real' person, and David is the 'fake' one. Maybe they get angry when David appears.

Anyways, cannot wait for more! It is a great story!

Kurt :D

If it is a split personality, ( and I say If because I am not so sure myself yet) Then really both boys are the real boy if you think about it. There just 2 parts of one person but seperated in two different (say People) Oliver/David. At least in my opinion ;)

If it is a split personality, ( and I say If because I am not so sure myself yet) Then really both boys are the real boy if you think about it. There just 2 parts of one person but seperated in two different (say People) Oliver/David. At least in my opinion

Yes, and when I say the 'real' one, I mean the one that the parents named at birth. The ones that the parents 'wanted' to have.

Kurt :D

Dom is pretty sneaky. After all, Frank is the "hero" of this story. But Oliver/David is so fascinating we've all been swept up. I think the real question is going to be, what's going to happen to Frank? Is he going to get out of this alive?

To clarify, I'm still going with the two-personality idea. I was using my explanation of imaginary friends as an analogy to try to understand a dual personality.

The parents would likely go along with the twins' names. Hmm, but if one twin had died, and the other took on his personality too, then I can see how the parents would disapprove, but not to take it out on him/them, which wouldn't help heal it at all. We haven't seen the parents' reasoning for why they're punishing him/them. -- Gah, for someone to have parents like that.

You know, I hope it's actually two brothers, not one twin.

Dom's really done something different, it's a very good psychological thriller and mystery. It isn't usually my genre, but the speculation has me hooked. -- Good to see you trying new territory, Dom. Good skills.

• Site Moderator
To clarify, I'm still going with the two-personality idea. I was using my explanation of imaginary friends as an analogy to try to understand a dual personality.

The parents would likely go along with the twins' names. Hmm, but if one twin had died, and the other took on his personality too, then I can see how the parents would disapprove, but not to take it out on him/them, which wouldn't help heal it at all. We haven't seen the parents' reasoning for why they're punishing him/them. -- Gah, for someone to have parents like that.

You know, I hope it's actually two brothers, not one twin.

Dom's really done something different, it's a very good psychological thriller and mystery. It isn't usually my genre, but the speculation has me hooked. -- Good to see you trying new territory, Dom. Good skills.

I tend to agree with you adblue, we haven't seen anything yet as to why the parents are doing what they are and for what reason. I'm leaning more towards the split personality though.

If Oliver and David are actually two person, then why would Oliver be in the basement with David. It seems to be that the basement is used to punish David. Remember, David is the one that gets punished for everything he does and including what Oliver does, not Oliver.

Am I the only who thinks David and Oliver are two people?

Though, the split personality bit could be believable... here's my take on that subject: Oliver and David were once two people. However, in the accident that Oliver described, David had been involved in the accident and perished. Oliver was also somehow involved, and therefore obtained the scar. The accident caused Oliver to believe David was still alive, and therefore took on his personality.

The death of one twin would explain why there are two beds in the room in the first chapter, and the theory that Oliver took on Davids personality would suggest that if one bed was removed, then severe psychological complications would arise.

Why do I say Oliver is the surviving twin? The parents' actions coincide with David's story. They are always punishing David, and David says that Oliver is the brother they want. They want Oliver around, and not the departed David. So, they try to train Oliver to not "become" David, by making the life of that personality a living nightmare (unruly punishment by way of solitary confinement in the basement).

Am I totally off base? Most likely... but it's a theory that I just thought of... I can be totally wrong and I can be totally right, so I thought I'd share.

I'm going to muddy the waters and suggest a twist to rknapp's theory.

Yes, Oliver and David were twins, except it was Oliver who died and David survived. Oliver was their parents' favourite - the beloved. The really sick part is that the parents, through their behaviour towards David, have caused him to take on Oliver's persona or perish.

My deepest sympathies go to Jim, the editor of this story. :worship:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

I'm going to muddy the waters and suggest a twist to rknapp's theory.

Yes, Oliver and David were twins, except it was Oliver who died and David survived. Oliver was their parents' favourite - the beloved. The really sick part is that the parents, through their behaviour towards David, have caused him to take on Oliver's persona or perish.

My deepest sympathies go to Jim, the editor of this story. :worship:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

That would be really sick of them, so it fits in with their M.O.

"That reminds me of multiple personalities. When I read it I pictured it being said in Oliver/David's head."

Hmmm...At first, I thought Oliver had multiple personality disorder too, but now I'm starting to think more along the lines of schizophrenia. Mostly because David and Oliver actually respond to each other and treat each other as two separate entities and live accordingly. Plus, from what I've seen of M.P.D., one personality might not even know the other exists.

But anyway, this was a great chapter and it's great to see Dom doing something so different.

Cheers

Kara

Edited by KaraC

I think Oliver is the 'real' personality. When he 'sees' David it may be that David's taken over and he's watching what the David personality does. Everyone outside Oliver's family seems to see only Oliver, for instance Oliver is blamed for mistreating the neighbour's animals. There's no mention of David (except for Oliver's blackouts) in Oliver's one day at school. If there was a real twin, or more precisely a still living real twin, you'd expect people to at least mention the possibility of David, not Oliver being involved.

These mishaps during blackouts is very confusing. I would like to believe the possibly that Oliver is David during his blackouts, except that the person/ality of David acknowledges being David, so any mishaps that would occur during a blackout would be blamed on David, at least if maybe the townspeople are unaware of the family's history... if they ARE aware of this history then it could be entirely possible that the blackouts are simple one personality in place of another...

Looks like we have a scarface on our hands! Sweet side of Oliver and evil side of David.