Great chapter , Dom.

This story is seriously creeping me out, but I'm completely fascinated by it at the same time. I'm not exactly sure what that says about my state of mind. :blink:

Sharon

Well, I thought for sure I knew where Dom was going with this story, but now I have no idea. What

David/Oliver's parents did to them (him?) was very un-cool. Maybe nobody's a serial killer.... and if

one of them turned out to be, it would be hard for me to make a villain out of that person (s?). :huh:

What I like about this story is that it is intriguing and totally different to all the other DOM stories so far.

The added bonus is that the 'redemption' looks as though it is going to have a different angle as well the eventual emotional (possibly) and (maybe) sexual relationship.

Now what does a person have to do around here to fill up all those 'warning' bubbles and get ones self banned .

bodgy

Edited by bodgy

You Know It may be different from the other story's but I am REALLY enjoying it alot. PArt of me thinks it is split personalitys, but then I think Dom is trying to trick me and they really are two people. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Im with frank though David did seem kinda creepy at first, but honesly I like David and Oliver, or both personalities if it is one person.

Oh no I am confusing myself now. Maybe I should go to bed.

Damn... That chapter was unbelievable. Great job Dom!

The last scene was just superb. GRRR I cannot wait!!!

Addiction is bad :(

but yet soooo good.

p.s. I didn't really find it creepy. Maybe it's because of the music I listen to while reading it. I just find it very very intriguing. I love it.

Yes, I can definitely go with creepy....speaking of creepy, Narcidius, what's with the "Darth Vader" butterfly sitting on your (avatar's) nose? :P

Yes, Dom is most certainly going down a different path this time. Up until now, he's just messed with our emotions; now, he's messing with our minds. :wacko: You really have to admire a talent like that! :worship:

Frank's a sweetheart. :wub:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

I thought Dom said there would only be 2 parts?

I think you are talking about the 2-parter short story that Dom was also working on (which was separate from TOSOM).

TOSOM seems like it will be going much lo(n)ger.

Take Care

Edited by naper_vic

This is already my favorite story written by Dom, but not because it is the most well-written to date. It reminds of a series of books written by the author Robert Lawrence Stine (R. L. Stine). I used to read his books all of the time when I was younger. First it was the Goosebumps series, then eventually the Fear Street series claimed my soul for a number of years before high school. TOSOM is very akin to something along the lines of a Fear Street short novel, and has me panting for future installments (very refreshing in the sense that it isn't revolving around relationships).

Guest KCStorm01

First, I want to agree with everyone saying that this is a very creepy story. Bravo to Dom! It can be difficult to pull off a thriller, and this story is definitely well on its way! While thrillers are my favorite type of story, I think this one is giving me nightmares :( I had a really weriod dream the other night after reading the scene with the cat floating in the water - gross!

I got the feeling in Chapter 2 that David and Oliver were the same person. But, at the beginning of Chapter 3 when David responded, "Oliver ain't here" that was the clincher for me.

I'm really anxious to see where Dom takes this!

Dom, I know you won't read this until the end of the story, but I want to say how much I love it......I listened to A momentary Lapse of Reason while I was reading chapter 2 and it was perfect. This is a total Pink Floyd soundtrack story...i listened to The Wall during chapter 3. You're friggen awesome, Dom!!!!

This story realy has me hooked!

The aire of mystery is fantastic. For example, David and the frog. It sounds like David might have killed the frog but we don't really know.

One thought occurred to me: Is it possible that this story might have a supernatural element?

What I like about this story is that it is intriguing and totally different to all the other DOM stories so far.

The added bonus is that the 'redemption' looks as though it is going to have a different angle as well the eventual emotional (possibly) and (maybe) sexual relationship.

I don't think this story has to have obligatory happy ending. Like you said, it's diffrent.

But that would be waste, cause I'm with Conner: Frank is certainly a sweetheart :)

I don't think this story has to have obligatory happy ending. Like you said, it's diffrent.

But that would be waste, cause I'm with Conner: Frank is certainly a sweetheart :)

I totaly agree with that, it does'nt have to have a happy ending. But I SO hope it does . MY mom always tells me stories to read. but she won't tell me about a story if it does'nt have a happy ending. BEcause I will get upset. ( Hey IM highly emotional here)like the other day she messed up and told me about this story, and I was getting real exited because it sounded real good, and then she told me it did not end on a happy note, and that totaly busted my bubble. So now I dont want to read it because I will most likely cry. ( Remember highly emotional). So to make up for it she told me about another book. I have always heard of POppy Z Brite but have not read any of her work. SO now I am reading "Drawing Blood" which mom says is real good. So ya I like it alot so far.

So I am really enjoying this story by Dom, and like I said I hope it ends Happy, but even if it does'nt I will break my little preferance and read it anyway, because I really enjoy all of Doms storys, and I know no matter how it ends it will be good and entertaining. I am already hooked.

So way to go Dom you are awsom. I love this story.

Ok Here is a question. I think that OLiver and David are the same person with a split personality.But the question I keep asking myself because I really don't know is. IN chapter oneit says,

"Laughter interrupted Oliver Martin

Edited by OTRFK
Do they really think they see the other person. Just curiouse. Because if they don't then I am going to have to rethink my whole theory on those two boys.

Ok I am going to stop rambling now.

I'd have to look back, but I think it said at one point that he was unsuprised to see his brother behind the door, and we were thinking that was because there was a mirror there or something.

I have no idea how he'd be going through pictures.

I'm a little confused too. It wasn't until the end of ch. 1 and start of ch. 2, that I decided they were one person.

If I remember right, Oliver has a scar in among his hair. Presumably, it's not quite noticeable. I'm unclear whether simply coming his hair differently would hide that, if (a) David is another personality, and ( B) the scar is noticeable.

I would say that this isn't quite so much a split personality as it is an imaginary friend writ large. Oliver behaves as if David is there and David behaves as if Oliver is there. Do they actually "see" the other? It's hard to tell, but presumably, they are just acting as if the other is real, and they know deep down what the truth is. I think this is a self-protective mechanism.

Two points:

One, they "appear together" when they feel safe, such as when they are alone, talking in their room before supper or bedtime. Or when they are alone and afraid, such as in the basement. It looks like they may "appear" while the parents are there, if they don't feel too threatened, such as when the parents come in, around supper, or before "they" get in trouble. At other times, though, they may talk to each other, if they feel alright. -- Frank hasn't seen this yet.

Two, in the thread on chapter 2, someone (sorry, I forget who) said that David might have been an actual twin who had died. I'd agree with that. For that matter, maybe it was Oliver. -- The whole thing is hard to wrap your mind around. -- David doesn't seem like the kind to make his bed all the time, so that fits the facts. -- Notice that Oliver/David has/have been locked in the basement before. That would also explain a lot. Sigh.

Of course, I could be misinterpreting and there really are two brothers. Dom still has me guessing, and I'm enjoying that. He's also saying quite a lot about friendship, isolation, and how someone "different" may be treated, both good and bad.

I don't think there's a supernatural element going on here, except what's going on in Oliver's/David's head(s), and that's more from all too plausibly real problems than anything supernatural. Do I rule out the supernatural? No, not entirely. But I haven't seen something that really makes me think there's any of that going on in the story.

...Oh, and Frank gets major points for being an all-around good guy. Pretty cool mom, too. -- Wonder what's going to happen when his mom starts interacting with the Martin parents, Oliver/David, and the townsfolk.

I'm from the city, but I have relatives from small towns. Yes, how the townsfolk act is exactly how people are in small towns.

DomLuka, you definitely have another great story going here. -- Looking forward to more.

I have no idea how he'd be going through pictures.

That is a tough one. I'm still going with my "imaginary friends writ large" theory on that.

Remember when you were a kid and played pretend? You and a real friend might both imagine a third friend (or foe) who was imaginary, and interact as though that person were there. What happens when that friend looks through "his" photos? Why, simple, you (or your real friend) step in and look at them yourself, don't you? You're both pretending and imagining about the imaginary friend (or foe). If someone else asks, of course you know it's pretend.

An older child, even a kindergartener, would know it's all pretend. A younger child might not be so aware of the boundaries between what he imagines and what's real. After all, he's inviting the others to pretend too, implicitly, or he may genuinely not yet realize that other people don't know what he's thinking.

I'd think that someone old enough, but under duress, might simply set aside or "forget" about that boundary, as a way to cope. Trouble is, can they put the boundary back into place, once they've crossed it. ...Hmm, I think I just unwittingly said something important about all kinds of boundaries there. :shrugs:

Why did I mention imaginary friends and imaginary *foes* too? Well, come on, when you played cops and robbers, or cowboys and Indians, or army, or Star Trek (oh, come on, you know you did) -- you and your friends surely added a few imaginary heroes and villains, right? Especially if there were only a few of you. -- Or maybe I just grew up too much of a loner with too much imagination. -- Probably, but it seems to be common for actor- and writer-types.

Hmm, I have almost no idea how someone like Oliver/David would really function, but the speculation is sure revealing and worth exploring.

Ok I see what you are saying with the imaginary friends. But the parents seem to act as if there are two seperate children there. They both get called seperate names and and get treated differently.

The one thing that I would say that one of the parents did that would posibly point to it being a split personality or as sugested imaginary friend. is when in chapter 3 David was being dragged to the dark room and his Dad hit him and dragged him by his hair. His mother had said

"

Ok I see what you are saying with the imaginary friends. But the parents seem to act as if there are two seperate children there. They both get called seperate names and and get treated differently.

Maybe they are just actiong along with Oliver/David. If they did not. Things could go terribly wrong. Oliver would get made for being called Daivd and David made for being called Oliver.

Now, I wonder if it is a split personality, who is the 'real' one?

Kurt :D