[NickolasJames8] Bodega Bay 1-9

I just read chapter two; I really enjoyed it! I was so happy that Kevin decided to tell Patricia and George the truth about what had happened to him. I was also glad that he broke down and started crying as I think that probably worked to his advantage.

I kept hoping he would say something to stop George from calling the police. I guess he was going to have to eventually anyway though. I mean I don't suppose they could have just kept him without alerting the authorities. I'm really eager to see what happens next! Will the police allow him to stay with his grandparents, and will they even believe him? Or will he somehow end up staying with Patricia, George, and Steele? I really think these characters are going to play into the rest of the story, and perhaps I'm just making wild assumptions, but I suspect Steele is going to be the "love interest" in the story.

Anyway it was an awesome follow-up to what I consider one of the best first chapters of a story that I've read in a long time! I can't wait for more! Take care and have an awesome day everyone!

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that in the end, Kevin will end up be adopted by Pat and George.

I was thinking the same thing actually.

As for the "wicked stepmother," I have a couple of theories here. 1) She just doesn't like Kevin and doesn't consider him a part of "her" family and, 2) she caught her son playing experimenting with one of his friends and Kevin got the blame for it.

Very good theory. Might be a bit of both.

It's a sad when the new spouse can't/won't accept the offspring from the one they marry into this new family situation. It's also sad that Kevins dad has chosen to ignore his own son to keep the peace at home.

you're right; that is sad :(

Kevin

Bodega Bay Chapter 4

I really enjoyed this chapter.

Nick did an excellent job of describing the emtions that seem to typically consume victims of abuse. He described the feelings of guilt, of not having done enough to stop it, and also the feelings of anger. It seemed really accurate.

I also loved how, like in the last chapter, he started off recounting an event in Kevin's past which seemed unrelated at first, but tied in with what was going on in the story. He also tied everything back together nicely when he once again called that image forth at the end of chapter.

I also felt really badly for Kevin because it looks like the "evil stepmother" scenario is turning out to have been true. He felt sorry for her and grieved when her father died, but she always treated him like a prisioner when he stayed with them. Also:

In a way, being around my stepmom was a lot like being around my mom.

Could it be that Kevin's father has a pattern of marrying women like this?

I'm really looking forward to find out what happens next. How will all the tests att he hospital go? Does Kevin have any diseases? Will his father take him back? Is it a good thing if he does; will he stop Kevin's stepmother from treating him badly? How will Patricia, George, and Steele play into all of this?

I can't wait to find out more! Awesome job, Nick! Take care and have a great day all!

Kevin

• Site Moderator

I agree with you, AFF. Kevins thoughts did seem to be very realistic. I told Nick, as a reader, that I think at some point, Kevin needs to bring these thoughts and feelings out into the open. In the long run, keeping them bottled up will only serve to consume him.

Jack Scribe wrote:

I'm still curious who the man is talking to Kevin at the very beginning of Chapter One?

Now that I think about it, maybe the man that Kevin is talking to is Doctor. Just guessing here, of course.

Jan

Hey guys, I am coming in late, but I have read all 5 chapters twice now, WTDBYAM, and Carolina Sand Castles all with in the last week or two. I think Mr. Nick has done more than anyone of us could have imagined. I thing that Bodega Bay represents a lot of things and is not just about a rape or just some abuse a child has taken. Now, I am stretching things, but I see Kevin a lot like Nick's brother James and possibley Kevin's real mother maybe like Taylors based on Carolina Sand Castles. There are a lot of different emotions that Nick has been able to create in one child they may go deeper than surface reading. I think Nick is pouring more into this story than just fiction. It is so well written, the emotions so deeply described, and the characters so real to life. I think he has surpassed LBTW and SOOTB with the first 5 chapters of this story! Having read What's the Difference and Carolina Sand Castles side by side with B.B. I can't help but think he is like a master composer pulling all the area's of music together to tell a story so deep it talks to the soul. He is taking a canvas and painting a picture here. Each layer adding to the next, building something that comes from many things until the painting is complete and beautiful. Then you spend the next century trying to figure out what it all really means. Ponder these thougths and go back and re-read his other works, I think you might find a revelation.

David

Thanks Nick for some of the best liturature i think I have ever read!!

I just read the first 6 chapters of Bodega Bay in one go. The only other works by Nicholas James I've read are "Carolina Sandcastles", and some of My Jump Off, so I'm well behind BoxerDude and others, but I'm already impressed with NJ8's range!

Bodega Bay 1-5 is tough stuff. I certainly hope James himself has experienced nothing close. I looks like Kevin's life might be changing a bit for the better in Chapter 6.

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about what happened to his half-brother. I'll side with the theory that step-mom fabricated to story to break the bond between Kevin and his Dad. I cannot personally imagine a father accepting such a theory without more proof. James portrays devastation by his father excellently.

I can easily imagine the crazy mixture of broken love, disgust, neglect, and dependency that make up his mother. Unfortunately, a wide variety of substance abuse can cause this.

I would be interested to hear from NJ8 what it's like to put chapters 1-5 on paper. Is he relieved to move on to the sunnier chapter 6?

I just read the first 6 chapters of Bodega Bay in one go. The only other works by Nicholas James I've read are "Carolina Sandcastles", and some of My Jump Off, so I'm well behind BoxerDude and others, but I'm already impressed with NJ8's range!

Bodega Bay 1-5 is tough stuff. I certainly hope James himself has experienced nothing close. I looks like Kevin's life might be changing a bit for the better in Chapter 6.

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about what happened to his half-brother. I'll side with the theory that step-mom fabricated to story to break the bond between Kevin and his Dad. I cannot personally imagine a father accepting such a theory without more proof. James portrays devastation by his father excellently.

I can easily imagine the crazy mixture of broken love, disgust, neglect, and dependency that make up his mother. Unfortunately, a wide variety of substance abuse can cause this.

I would be interested to hear from NJ8 what it's like to put chapters 1-5 on paper. Is he relieved to move on to the sunnier chapter 6?

Hi Knotme,

Personally, I think that is was a cleansing for NJ8 to write those first 5 chapters. As I stated in my comment earlier, I believe this is a culmination of several people that he is close to and has pulled all three of their experiences in to one character. The emotional rape of the three now put into one character. I would sujest that you consider starting on "What's the difference Between you and Me." You may the gain a better insight into Kevin's character.

I to am looking forward to seeing what Nick will do with the coming chapters. He has a very bright mind and is very good at pulling together emotions he wants us to understand and feel. I am not sure where this story will go from here, but I would say he has another 5 more years of past experience to draw on and I don't think it is going to be an easy road for Kevin. I think we will see Kevin have a lot of up's and down's just like life. Probably some more disappointments too, but I think there is going to be someone there to rescue him but it won't be a quick fix. I am very excited to see what this young man can come up with.

I just hope we can draw some more attetion to his stories so that others on this site will come and read his works of art.

Regards,

David :great::worship:

I really enjoyed chapter 6!

I was so surprised to see that time had advanced to the court hearing! I thought the trail scene was really well-written and I thought the part about Kevin not knowing whether to stand or not when the Judge returned to his private chambers really added to the story and gave it a more human feel.

It was awful how Kevin's mother not only didn't take any responsibility for what happened, but didn't even seem sorry about it! I was very impressed with how perceptive Kevin is to immediately pick up on this and know that he's better off with his grandparents (it's similar to the scene in the previous chapter when he immediately realized that his father wasn't going to be taking it home). I can definitely understand Kevin's embarrassement at having everyone see his mother behaving like that, but I think it's for the best. Now they'll be less likely to ever make him stay with her again.

I was so shocked to hear that Steele was only 7 years old! I guess looking back on it he does seem rather young, but I had no idea he was only 7! Nick must have gotten a kick out of me speculating whether or not he'd be Kevin's love interest! :lol: On that note it sounds like the mysterious boy at the end of the chapter is the real love interest!

I can't wait to see what happens next! Awesome job, Nick! :D

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

• Site Moderator

I agree with you Kevin, this is another good chapter. It will be interesting to see how this visit goes. Nick tends to keep us all guessing as to what's going to happen next. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Jan

Well, I just finished chapters 7 & 8. :2thumbs: Since I have been out of town, I had to get caught up. I was completely impressed with the ease in which Nick moves from chapter to chapter and then how he can move back in time to explain a situation. :great: That takes a lot of talent to do it let a lone do it well. NJ8 has really started to master this type of writing style and I am enjoying it immensely.

I am remembering from WTDBYAM when Nick met Taylor for the first time. It seems that Justin and Taylor have a lot in common. The round butt and the smile that is so cute that he can

Hey Michael!

I really enjoyed reading your posts on this!

My guess would be that it has something to do with the fact that Kevin was unwilling to press charges against her, but probably eager and willing to press charges against Billy. Or perhaps the legal matters aren't fully resolved yet. Either way I'm really hoping there's some stipulation that she can never have custody of him again.

I really enjoyed this last chapter which really bagan to get into Kevin and Justin's relationship. I think it was really really sweet!

As always I'm looking forward to reading more! Take care all and have an awesome day! :D

Kevin

I don't think those questions you have about his mother or father will go unanswered. Nick usually covers all the bases and then what is to keep us continuing to read if he spills it out all up front.

As far as the bus ride, again just from my observations from his other stories, I would imagine this is something he did as a kid. He start his young life in Calif. where there where lots of buses. Just a guess on my part.

Now the interesting thing, has anyone else but me noticed that all the main characters have no names, only the outside characters. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, my step-mom, ect. He has mentioned Justin, and Steele and the parents who saved him and Justin's mom & dad, but no one close to Kevin. I wonder why? Do you think he can not give them names because they represent to many different people he is writting about?? Or, the rape (emotional of physical) makes it to painful to say the names??

David

I don't think those questions you have about his mother or father will go unanswered. Nick usually covers all the bases and then what is to keep us continuing to read if he spills it out all up front.

As far as the bus ride, again just from my observations from his other stories, I would imagine this is something he did as a kid. He start his young life in Calif. where there where lots of buses. Just a guess on my part.

Now the interesting thing, has anyone else but me noticed that all the main characters have no names, only the outside characters. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, my step-mom, ect. He has mentioned Justin, and Steele and the parents who saved him and Justin's mom & dad, but no one close to Kevin. I wonder why? Do you think he can not give them names because they represent to many different people he is writting about?? Or, the rape (emotional of physical) makes it to painful to say the names??

David

Interesting point David. I didn't pay much attention to it before you pointed this out. I re-read parts of the story and noticed that Kevin naturally addresses his family members by their "titles" Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, not by their names. It also makes the story flow better. The only two people that Kevin addresses by their names, but their names were not provided, are his stepmom and stepbrother. These are two people that Kevin wants to avoid, for good reasons. These two are "outsiders" that pose threat to Kevin, and I think that Nick wanted to alienate them by not giving them names.

Another point that you made in one of your previous posts, about drawing attention to this story, any idea on how we can do that?

Hugs,

Michael.

Interesting point David. I didn't pay much attention to it before you pointed this out. I re-read parts of the story and noticed that Kevin naturally addresses his family members by their "titles" Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, not by their names. It also makes the story flow better. The only two people that Kevin addresses by their names, but their names were not provided, are his stepmom and stepbrother. These are two people that Kevin wants to avoid, for good reasons. These two are "outsiders" that pose threat to Kevin, and I think that Nick wanted to alienate them by not giving them names.

Another point that you made in one of your previous posts, about drawing attention to this story, any idea on how we can do that?

Hugs,

Michael.

I like the way you think. Nick wanting to alienate them just may be the reason he is doing this. It is a common reaction to tragic circumstances when you encounger the. Saying their names gives them power so by not giving them names allows one to over come them and move on.

I am going to try and figure out how to add links below my tag and make sure that Nick's link is there every time. Make a big deal out of his art and writing. Other than that, I am not sure what else to do. We could start a threat in the Lounge about "Have you taken the time to get to know NJ8" I am up for any ideas. I think he needs to be noticed.

Anyway,

Thanks for the response.

David

I like the way you think. Nick wanting to alienate them just may be the reason he is doing this. It is a common reaction to tragic circumstances when you encounger the. Saying their names gives them power so by not giving them names allows one to over come them and move on.

I am going to try and figure out how to add links below my tag and make sure that Nick's link is there every time. Make a big deal out of his art and writing. Other than that, I am not sure what else to do. We could start a threat in the Lounge about "Have you taken the time to get to know NJ8" I am up for any ideas. I think he needs to be noticed.

Anyway,

Thanks for the response.

David

I have an idea ho to make this thread very popular. There is one member who is very charismatic, whose posts attract a lot of attention. He recently entered the millennium group after making 1000 posts. We already have one such member in this discussion, that's Kevin (AFriendlyFace). But I am talking about another person, even younger than Kevin. I forgot his name, but I know that if he starts posting here, then many people will join. Kevin knows him; maybe he can convince him to make an appearance on this thread? :)

Michael.

Hi All!

Like Michael, my take on it was that Kevin naturally calls them by their titles.

The only two people that Kevin addresses by their names, but their names were not provided, are his stepmom and stepbrother. These are two people that Kevin wants to avoid, for good reasons. These two are "outsiders" that pose threat to Kevin, and I think that Nick wanted to alienate them by not giving them names.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. If he addresses them by their names how were their names not provided? Otherwise though I think that's a great theory about alinating them by not giving them names!

Great point!

Perhaps I can help you, David :) . Go to "My controls" at the very top, roughly below "site map", then go to the "Personal Profile" section on the left hand tool bar. Then select the 2nd option, "Edit signature". It'll bring up a box similar to the posting boxes. You can use this to paste in links encouraging people to read Nick's stuff. Just copy the link from his shared hosted page. Also it's best to use the "link" buttong to do it. That's the little globe with a chain link in front of it (right next to the colour "A" and roughly below the drop down "size" menu). It'll bring up a prompt asking for the address, paste that in, then hit okay and it'll bring up another prompt asking you to name your page. Call it whatever you like (Nick's stories or something) and that's how it'll look as a clickable link. ;) You can also play with the formatting to make it stand out more, just make sure you don't accidently mess up the code. If you want to use the image that Michael and Nick himself use I think you'll have to get a code from Nick.

I'm really glad you guys are wanting to help promote his stories! The links in the signatures are an excellent method. So is just posting relevant things in this thread for that matter ;) .

I have an idea ho to make this thread very popular. There is one member who is very charismatic, whose posts attract a lot of attention. He recently entered the millennium group after making 1000 posts. We already have one such member in this discussion, that's Kevin (AFriendlyFace). But I am talking about another person, even younger than Kevin. I forgot his name, but I know that if he starts posting here, then many people will join. Kevin knows him; maybe he can convince him to make an appearance on this thread? :)

I believe Nick doesn't read the threads while he's writing so as to avoid being swayed. I will mention to him that you guys were talking about it though!

Take care and have an awesome day all! :D

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the help with the links thing I will work with that today and see what I can do with it. You are correct, Nick does not read this thread. I keep up with him and he does like to know a few things but he will read it after the story is done. I do know there is a reason the people closest to him are not mentioned by name but I don't know why. I am trying to figure that one out. I think we are close but not there yet. He is a smart bugger you know!!

Well, I am going to go and try and figure this link thing out. Have a good day all!!

David

Hi All!

Like Michael, my take on it was that Kevin naturally calls them by their titles.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. If he addresses them by their names how were their names not provided? Otherwise though I think that's a great theory about alinating them by not giving them names!

Great point!

Perhaps I can help you, David :) . Go to "My controls" at the very top, roughly below "site map", then go to the "Personal Profile" section on the left hand tool bar. Then select the 2nd option, "Edit signature". It'll bring up a box similar to the posting boxes. You can use this to paste in links encouraging people to read Nick's stuff. Just copy the link from his shared hosted page. Also it's best to use the "link" buttong to do it. That's the little globe with a chain link in front of it (right next to the colour "A" and roughly below the drop down "size" menu). It'll bring up a prompt asking for the address, paste that in, then hit okay and it'll bring up another prompt asking you to name your page. Call it whatever you like (Nick's stories or something) and that's how it'll look as a clickable link. ;) You can also play with the formatting to make it stand out more, just make sure you don't accidently mess up the code. If you want to use the image that Michael and Nick himself use I think you'll have to get a code from Nick.

I'm really glad you guys are wanting to help promote his stories! The links in the signatures are an excellent method. So is just posting relevant things in this thread for that matter ;) .

I believe Nick doesn't read the threads while he's writing so as to avoid being swayed. I will mention to him that you guys were talking about it though!

Take care and have an awesome day all! :D

Kevin