Interesting...

Kurt

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The

phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

if you can raed tihs lveae a cmomnet!! :D

I can!

The human mind truly is amazing. Though I have to admit my fingers itched to correct the words you typed :P I wonder, though, if a person would be able to read those words if they did not already know those words as they are correctly spelled.

• Site Administrator

It's also not quite true. It says that having the first and last letters in the right place are the only important thing, but it's not. You need the other letters in roughly the right order as well.

I've seen this one before and what someone did was to re-write it with the first and last letters in the correct place, and reversed the order of the rest. It was NOT readable.

Having said that, I think it's still amazing what the mind is able to do. I saw a theory once that the mind works like a hologram. One of the characteristics of holograms is that if you use them as a filter, they highlight what they are a hologram of. For example, if you had a hologram of the letter 'H', and viewed a page of text through that holographic film, all letter 'H's would be highlight. The fascinating thing is that they don't have to be exactly the same as the holographic image -- stylised letters would still be highlighted, but not as strongly.

In a similar way, if we have a 'holographic' image of words in our mind, the ones that are 'close' (like in this example) still 'trigger' the recognition of that word in our mind. Add the ability to guess at words from the context they are in, and we are able to read something that appears to be 'garbage'.

Amazing... I wonder if that's what dyslexics see when they read.

Though I'm not sure if this applies to other non-roman languages.

Dyslexica varies in type and strength, this is my own experience.

I can recognise indivual letters, but have difficulty with words and tend to read phrases. I may understand a sentence but not be able say the sentence. Just as the redunacy in words, enables people to read rubbish, there is enough redunacy normally to understand sentences without ambiguity.

The paragraphs above are more difficult to understand than perhap you, but possible.

What effects me more are

fonts. courier is unreadable, times roman is perfect

colour of the font is important, red is best (Nick please note)

paper or screen. Screen is best(back illumination)

Hearing or spoken. I can understand Zeeland Dutch (Zuid Holland Dutch is more difficult) Speaking it is impossible.

That I hope, gives you a taste.

Yeah, seen similar to this before, it is pretty neat what the mind can accomplish. If you really sit down and think of all the conscious and unconscious things your mind is always doing.....it's insane.

Red_A, that's some interesting information, thank you for sharing it. Always kinda wondered how that worked for people affected by it; no one I've known closely at all (eg in school etc) was dyslexic so *shrug* Heh....The fact that colors and fonts have such an impact is also quite intriguing.

Argh, this is brining up my psychology urgings again....damn you :P

I have seen this before as well :)

It's quite interesting how we are able to recognise words. I guess its easier for us readers and writers to recognise the jumbled words because our word recognition is more advanced. I showed this to my friend once and he had a harder time deciphering longer and more infrequently used words.

I have seen this before as well :)

It's quite interesting how we are able to recognise words. I guess its easier for us readers and writers to recognise the jumbled words because our word recognition is more advanced. I showed this to my friend once and he had a harder time deciphering longer and more infrequently used words.

I love stuff like this because it shows how truly remarkable our minds are.

Mr. Jon

Amazing... I wonder if that's what dyslexics see when they read.

Though I'm not sure if this applies to other non-roman languages.

I'm not dyslexic and don't pretend to know a great deal about it (thanks very much for the info Red A!). The latest research I read indicates that it's more of a problem translating the letters into sounds. Instead dyslexics seem to compensate by using context and "recognizing" familar words (could it be the elongated, less familar look that makes Courier harder to read as opposed to Times New Roman which is highly prevalent and thus more familar?). So it isn't so much that "b" and "d" are flipped as it is that they look very similar so "bad" and "dad" might be misrecognized, especially out of context. I think the major point is that sounding things out is harder because the letters have less individual significance.

I could be entirely incorrect though, it's been awhile since I studied this.

Argh, this is brining up my psychology urgings again....damn you :P

you a psyc. major, Jalaki? I didn't know that! Or did you just USED to be or have an interest or something? I graduated in psychology and sociology.

Have an awesome day everyone! :D

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Hey, nice thing. It brings me back to a french slang which was used when I was a child called "verlan" which means "upside down". For instance the word woman, in french "femme" is "mof" in verlan. Wenn you speak quick enough, nobody can follow, its a secret language now used in the suburbs, where I come from...

Old bob

It would seem that I'm the only one who hasnt seen this before. I found it really interesting because i found i could read it just as quickly as if the spelling was correct.

Was this part of a phonics vs 'whole word recognition' debate?

Wynter

you a psyc. major, Jalaki? I didn't know that! Or did you just USED to be or have an interest or something? I graduated in psychology and sociology.

Nah, not a psych major...comp sci here :P But always been quite interested in psych....could almost see myself getting a minor in it or something :P Don't know that I'd ever go far into it though, if I wanted a 'second career option' type of thing it would probably be teaching :P Then I could combine them and teach computer classes, win-win situation! :D

It would seem that I'm the only one who hasnt seen this before. I found it really interesting because i found i could read it just as quickly as if the spelling was correct.

Was this part of a phonics vs 'whole word recognition' debate?

Wynter

I'm not sure where it came from; when I first saw it, it was in in email, presented almost exactly like in the original post. It would be interesting to see where the 'chain' originated though, why it was first done. It's still pretty dang cool no matter what though :)