[DomLuka] Gay Animals

It is a fact that homosexuality is present in almost every animal species, especially apes. About 8% of male sheep are homosexuals. Now the question is what we should do about these facts. I say that these facts must be taught in biology classes at schools. Shows about animal homosexuality should be shown on the educational channels. Our society is a reflection of our educational system, and it would become more tolerant if we teach our children about homosexuality, instead of pretending that it doesn

It is a fact that homosexuality is present in almost every animal species, especially apes. About 8% of male sheep are homosexuals. Now the question is what we should do about these facts. I say that these facts must be taught in biology classes at schools. Shows about animal homosexuality should be shown on the educational channels. Our society is a reflection of our educational system, and it would become more tolerant if we teach our children about homosexuality, instead of pretending that it doesn

This was a very interesting article. I agree with what Kevin and Michael have said. But, I have seen in more and more movies a gay character, however these are not children movies, but they are more teenaged based movies.

Kurt

I Agree with all of the above except for one thing: the comment about gay kid characters. Depending on what you mean by "kid", I'd find it as incredulous for a kid to be gay as I would to see one with a beard or moustache. If you meant teenagers, then I agree that some do realize that they are gay by their early teens, but younger than a teenager and I don't think it's really possible, so would look as "false" to me as a beard on a ten year old.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I knew my sexuality before my teens. I'm not saying that it happens all that often, the way you're implying that pre-teen 'kids' don't know their sexuality, but it does happen. Some children mature faster than others, with or without the onset of puberty.

Back to the topic though, I did find it interesting. I knew about some animals being bisexual and homosexual, but never knew that the homosexual aspect was observed in over 1500 species as well as being well-documented in 500 of them.

• Like 1
Sorry, but you're wrong. I knew my sexuality before my teens. I'm not saying that it happens all that often, the way you're implying that pre-teen 'kids' don't know their sexuality, but it does happen. Some children mature faster than others, with or without the onset of puberty.

I'm probably biased (perhaps to the point of error) by the fact that I managed to stay in denial until I was in my late teens.

I didn't think that sexual attraction (gay or straight) occurred prior to puberty? If so, how would they know what gender they are attracted to prior to puberty?

I envy you: you "missed out" on years of denial and self-loathing. :great:

Well, technically speaking, I think today most scientists or whoever it is that is doing the research in this area, agree that sexuality is determined either before, or during birth (Either it is hereditary, or by some other chemical means like a different hormone balance [1], [2], ), so you the same sexuality your entire life, but which does not become apparent until you are either mature, or sexually ready.

I'm probably biased (perhaps to the point of error) by the fact that I managed to stay in denial until I was in my late teens.

I didn't think that sexual attraction (gay or straight) occurred prior to puberty? If so, how would they know what gender they are attracted to prior to puberty?

I envy you: you "missed out" on years of denial and self-loathing. :great:

Heh, we're all biased in one form or another; we're opinionated. B)

Sexual attraction before puberty... That particular terminology isn't what I would use, but it is the only thing that comes close to describing the mindset/'emotional state' of pre-pubertal sexual orientation of most children. From what I've read in studies, and some from firsthand knowledge during my own childhood, most children that engage in sexual play do so with either those that they're 'attracted' to or those that they feel the most comfortable with when their curiosities lead them to it.

How would they know what gender they were attracted to before puberty? I feel the answer to that is the same as the one to how do they know during or after puberty; they just do. I'm not 100% certain, but, personally, I'd have to say its somewhat instinctual. It probably has a lot to do with what Tony said about it being there from birth. I've also always felt that the 'nuture' aspect has a role in it as well. There are a lot of discussions about the 'Nuture vs. Nature' debate of when someone 'becomes' homosexual. I believe it varies from person to person, some may be all natural, some may be part naturally inclined and then nutured to full homosexuality, whereas others may have been fully nurtured to being homosexual.

We are discussing life afterall, so its shades of gray we're speaking in not black and white. :D

Sorry Tony, we've seemingly derailed the original topic... :boy:

too bad we can't do the same observations to humans as we did for animals. hmm..spying on people in motel rooms through the windows?

as for the pre-teen thing, i think most people have a pretty good idea what their sexual orientation is around late-middle-school age or so (13-14?), unless they had a big, traumatic event happen to them which could potentially make them shy away from one sex for whatever reason.

I Agree with all of the above except for one thing: the comment about gay kid characters. Depending on what you mean by "kid", I'd find it as incredulous for a kid to be gay as I would to see one with a beard or moustache. If you meant teenagers, then I agree that some do realize that they are gay by their early teens, but younger than a teenager and I don't think it's really possible, so would look as "false" to me as a beard on a ten year old.

One thing that I, personally, would very much like to see: A show where one of the characters is gay, but only incidentally so. At the moment, gar characters are seen, but usually their sexuality is central to the plot in some way. As recently as the 60's the same held true for ethnic minority characters too. In the present there doesn't have to be a "reason" for a characters race, and I would love to see the same apply to their sexuality.

By kid I meant 15-16. James put in words exactly what I was hoping for; that we will have gay teen characters in TV shows, but in a very casual manner. Not a show about gayness, but a show about something completely different, but with a gay character in a supporting role.

Hugs,

Michael.

How would they know what gender they were attracted to before puberty? I feel the answer to that is the same as the one to how do they know during or after puberty; they just do. I'm not 100% certain, but, personally, I'd have to say its somewhat instinctual. It probably has a lot to do with what Tony said about it being there from birth. I've also always felt that the 'nuture' aspect has a role in it as well. There are a lot of discussions about the 'Nuture vs. Nature' debate of when someone 'becomes' homosexual. I believe it varies from person to person, some may be all natural, some may be part naturally inclined and then nutured to full homosexuality, whereas others may have been fully nurtured to being homosexual.

Hmmmmm... Probably right. Thinking back, I remember being in first grade and "choosing" a "Best Friend" because he was the best looking guy in the class.

:off::P

Actually, I knew that I was gay when I was a pre-teen.

Kurt :D

Wow, OK, I was definitly wrong on that, and I've learned something today. :great:

By kid I meant 15-16. James put in words exactly what I was hoping for; that we will have gay teen characters in TV shows, but in a very casual manner. Not a show about gayness, but a show about something completely different, but with a gay character in a supporting role.

For some reason, when I saw "Disney shows" I assumed pre-teens. I guess my lack of TV viewership is showing! :lmao:

I certainly do wish that one of the "educational" channels, such as the Animal Channel, would do a show on homosexuality in nature. I'd bet that a great many people think that it occurs only in humans.

Edited by C James