What are the differences, do you think, between writing an open-ended serial and a novel with a definite plot, for both the writer and the reader?

I tend to be very anal and plot and organize my stories. I know before I begin to write, where I am going and what I am doing.

Except for my very first story. It was just supposed to be a sort of soap opera. It wasn't very good and I learned a lot of lessons from it. SInce then, I know exactly where I am going and what I am doing with a story.

However, it was fun to write. I enjoy writing novels, however, I think I may try writing an open-ended serial. It might be fun.

It might be intriguing to sit down before the computer with no idea where I am going or what I am doing and just start writing, letting my imagination take me where ever it wants, allowing my characters to have their own lives. I want my story to surprise me as much as it would a reader.

What are the thoughts of other writers about this? Do you plot and organize? Do you just sit down and write? What are the strengths of both approaches, do you think, and the weaknesses?

• Site Administrator

Ah... but you forgot one... the serialized Novel. That's how most of us write online, I think.

Bill W is one that completes all of a story before posting it, however.

I have a good idea of where I'm going, for the most part in my stories. Though, they all have in common that I only generally know where I'm going to end up and have little idea of which path I'm going to take to get there.

I've got hundreds of Nifty type stories I'm waiting for to be finished :(

As a reader I prefer a story to be finished, or at least in the editing stages, before posting starts. If I have to wait for months or even years for the next chapter, it's all too easy to forget important parts of the plot, and rereading a story every time a new chapter comes out just isn't feasible.

So while serialization of one story can be convenient for an author, it can be hell for a reader.

Therefore I prefer all in one go, or posted in quick succession.

Open ended serials however usually don't require you remember a plot, just the main characters, as they are individual stories of their own right.

Those are OK from a reader's point of view, but can be h*ll for a writer since if he misses out in some details of continuity, you get bet there is some :devil: out there who spots it, and post (wouldn't put it past me 0:) )