• Site Administrator
1 bag (11.5 oz) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips = 326 grams

6 tablespoons unsalted butter = 90 grams

3 eggs *see below

1 cup sugar = 200 grams

1/3 flour = 45 grams

1/2 teaspoon baking powder = 2 large pinches or 2.46 ml

1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips = 340g

* now this one is tricky. We have these birds called "chickens" - I'm not sure what the austrailian equivalent would be. The eggs they lay are ovoid and about 50g and for this recipe you would need three. The best thing would be to have three chickens - with only one, you would have to wait two days for the third egg (typically the hen would lay one per day) - and the lack of freshness of the two-day may impact the recipe. Be sure to have hens though - as roosters will take an extraordinary amount of time before you will ever see your first egg (if you ever do). 0:)

I hope this helps you out - and Sharon, the recipe does sound GREAT - I can't wait to try it myself.

:worship:

Thanks, Trebs, especially for the part about the eggs. Emu eggs are more common here, but one emu egg is the equivalent of about 10 chicken eggs, so using three emu eggs wouldn't have been a good idea. :P

On a more serious note, I 'think' I know what the equivalents are for the two types of chocolate chips (dark and milk being my guesses, since dark chocolate tends to be more bitter and milk chocolate tends to be sweeter), and I'm guessing that the flour is what we call 'plain flour' since baking powder (bicarb of soda) is being added to it -- the other option being self-raising flour which has the baking powder already added.

However, I'm just going to have to give it a go and find out. Knowing my boys, it won't matter if they aren't perfect -- they'll get eaten anyway :D

graeme,

bittersweet can be replaced by dark chocolate

semi sweet by milk chocolate

flour used is plain flour, you can use self raising if you do not use baking powder

1 large US Egg(2.125ozs 60g) = Medium UK Egg (58g[53 to 63g]) = 44kcal, 3.8g protein, 3.2g fat

Here I would disagree with Trebs, most US recipes use Large eggs. But, the determining factor is the mixture should be such it spreads on a well greased tray to twice the original size.

One other factor - baking powder isn't just baking soda (ie, bicarb of soda) - it actually is a mixture of baking soda, cornstarch (to prevent clumping) and cream of tartar (an acid to interact with the soda) in a 1-1-2 ratio... as to the plain vs self-rising, you're right - use the plain.

Oven Fried Lemon Chicken

Chicken breasts- with or without bones. Clean and wash.

Place chicken in a bowl and sprinkle both sides with an excessive amount of lemon pepper (LOTS).

Barely cover with skimmed or whole milk, then cover liberally with flour.

Pam the bottom of a shallow baking dish.

Place floured chicken in pan.

Place 3 or 4 slices of margarine on each piece of chicken. (For good measure- you can put thin slices of lemon)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Turn heat up to 425 degrees until brown and crisp.

As for a use for self-rising flour, I like this two-ingredient recipe:

ICE CREAM BREAD

1 pint ice cream

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Let the ice cream melt. Stir the flour and ice cream together, mixing thoroughly but do not beat. Place in a greased (and/or Pammed) loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes until done, but don't overbake.

Nut-flavored ice cream like pistachio or butter pecan work well.

PS 1 US Egg = 100 Echidna Eggs

Wouldn't it be canibalisim if he used those? :o

And for DK - thanks for translating, but you didn't mention that I'll be using your bank card when I buy the ingrediants as well ;-)

:lmao::lmao: :lmao:

I've really been enjoying this recipe thread. I'm not a good cook unless I'm using a BBQ, but some of them give me ideas. :2thumbs:

Shrimp Creole ala Hebert

Y'all try this one:

2 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons olive oil

2 medium sweet white onions, small dice

2 medium red onions, small dice

1 green bell pepper, small dice

1 red bell pepper, small dice

1 yellow bell pepper, small dice

2 jalepino peppers, small dice

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 quarts shrimp stock

6 cups crushed tomatoes (if using fresh tomatoes, run them through a food mill)

2 8-ounce tomato sauce

3 6-ounce cans tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (I suggest Tony Chachere's seasoning)

3 tablespoons Tiger Sauce (if you can find it)

3 cloves of roasted garlic

1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme)

2 bay leaves

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

3 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

About 15 cups cooked long-grain or converted rice (about 5 cups raw)

To make a simple, quickie shrimp stock, reserve the shells and heads from the peeled shrimp, add to 2 quarts cold water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain thoroughly.

Sweat the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in oil and/or butter in a large covered pot until tender, about 15 minutes.

Add all of the remaining ingredients except the shrimp. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes.

Add the shrimp. Simmer an additional 15 minutes.

To serve, heap about 1 cup of rice in the center of the plate, and ladle a generous amount of the sauce around it. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

Serves 15 regular people, or about 2 Cajuns.

Don't I get a batch too? Haven't I always been so nice to you for all of your countless hours of labor editing the hell out of my chapters? 0:)

I could tell you guys how to make Shoo-fly pie...in tradition to my Pennsylvania Dutch hertiage. But alas! I left the reciept somewhere hidden in the cookbook at my parents' house in Pennsylvania. I hope I didn't lose it...the pie was just too good. *drools*

Based on that statement alone, you should be sending me one of those Shoo-fly pies.

Sharon

I could tell you guys how to make Shoo-fly pie...in tradition to my Pennsylvania Dutch hertiage. But alas! I left the reciept somewhere hidden in the cookbook at my parents' house in Pennsylvania. I hope I didn't lose it...the pie was just too good. *drools*

Deutsch Shoo-fly Pie

The trick is that you have to use shortening for the crumble, ie hydronated fat, ie high temperature fat or oil. Hard margarine is the nearest UK equivalent, lard which we normally use for crumble does not cook at high enough temperature.

If anybody Knows of a good supply of shortening in the uk, I am interested.

PS it is extremely unhealthy, so no more than One pie a week

Jamessavik....I'm so going to try out making the lemon chicken...it looks too damn yummy.

Deutsch Shoo-fly Pie

The trick is that you have to use shortening for the crumble, ie hydronated fat, ie high temperature fat or oil. Hard margarine is the nearest UK equivalent, lard which we normally use for crumble does not cook at high enough temperature.

If anybody Knows of a good supply of shortening in the uk, I am interested.

PS it is extremely unhealthy, so no more than One pie a week

For my recept. I just use butter instead of that shortening...since that's for the pie crust. It never gave me any problem at all... It won't be a problem either if you make the crust in your way that is not in line with that recept.

Again, I just use butter for the crumb as well and A LOT MORE ingredients for the crumb. Adding just sugar and flour doesn't cut it...my recept calls for more for better flavors, like few spices such as cloves, ginger, etc., and brown sugar as well. The crumb doesn't cook at all this way. The pie is quite moist at the bottom...so it may have another name for it, wet bottom shoo-fly pie.

If my memory is right...this would be similar to what I make...

http://www.gretchencooks.com/recipes/815_W...tom_ShooFly_Pie

Based on that statement alone, you should be sending me one of those Shoo-fly pies.

That's right...I should be rewarding you... :*)

Sadly, the pie would probably not make it across the border in the mail...they would throw away foods. :/

Shrimp Creole ala Hebert

Y'all try this one:

2 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons olive oil

2 medium sweet white onions, small dice

2 medium red onions, small dice

1 green bell pepper, small dice

1 red bell pepper, small dice

1 yellow bell pepper, small dice

2 jalepino peppers, small dice

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 quarts shrimp stock

6 cups crushed tomatoes (if using fresh tomatoes, run them through a food mill)

2 8-ounce tomato sauce

3 6-ounce cans tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (I suggest Tony Chachere's seasoning)

3 tablespoons Tiger Sauce (if you can find it)

3 cloves of roasted garlic

1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme)

2 bay leaves

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

3 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

About 15 cups cooked long-grain or converted rice (about 5 cups raw)

To make a simple, quickie shrimp stock, reserve the shells and heads from the peeled shrimp, add to 2 quarts cold water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain thoroughly.

Sweat the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in oil and/or butter in a large covered pot until tender, about 15 minutes.

Add all of the remaining ingredients except the shrimp. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes.

Add the shrimp. Simmer an additional 15 minutes.

To serve, heap about 1 cup of rice in the center of the plate, and ladle a generous amount of the sauce around it. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

Serves 15 regular people, or about 2 Cajuns.

OHHHHHHHHH that does sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's printed and ready to try-------

Key Lime Pie is a classic of the Old South. Although it is called a lime, the Key Lime is a slightly different species from most limes- its natural color when ripe is a golden-brown color which some people don't associate with lime. Some cooks use a touch of green food coloring can make it appear more "lime-like" but true aficionados consider this heresy.

________________________________________________________________________________

Key Lime Pie

This makes a 9" pie.

Ingredients:

9-inch graham cracker piecrust

2 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk

6 egg yolks (Saved the egg whites to make the meringue!)

1/2-cup Key Lime Juice

Preparation:

Blend milk and egg yolks at slow speed until smooth.

Add Key Lime juice and finish blending.

Pour into piecrust.

Bake in preheated 300-degree oven for 15 minutes.

Cool pie 20 minutes before refrigerating.

Serve chilled Key Lime pie with whipped cream topping or meringue.

Serving suggestions:

Traditionally, Key Lime pie is enjoyed plain, with a whipped cream topping, or with a meringue topping. For an interesting variation, drizzle chocolate sauce, mango sauce, and/or raspberry sauce over a slice of Key Lime pie. The complimentary flavors are sure to please.

________________________________________________________________________________

Optional: [cool-whip works just as well]

Meringue

Ingredients:

6 egg whites

6 Tablespoons sugar

Pinch Cream of Tartar

1-teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

Beat egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract, and Cream of Tartar at high speed.

Continue beating mixture until egg whites are stiff.

Top baked pie with the meringue. Bake until Meringue is golden brown. Careful! It burns easily.

Cool pie.

Strawberry Key Lime Pie a popular variation

This makes a 9" pie.

Ingredients:

9-inch graham cracker piecrust

2 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk

6 egg yolks (The egg whites can be saved to make a meringue topping, if desired. See recipe.)

1/2-cup Key Lime Juice

1/2-cup strawberries blended with 1/8-cup sugar

4 drops red food coloring

Preparation:

Blend milk and egg yolks at slow speed until smooth.

Add Key Lime juice and finish blending.

Add strawberries and food coloring and mix until just blended.

Pour into piecrust.

Bake in preheated 300-degree oven for 15 minutes.

Cool pie 20 minutes before refrigerating.

Serving suggestion:

Serve chilled strawberry Key Lime pie with a slice of fresh strawberry, strawberry sauce and whipped cream. Enjoy.

Spicy Cajun gumbo is just the thing for cold winter days.

Gumbo is a soup or stew that is served all along the Gulf and as far up the Atlantic coast as Charleston, SC. There are hundreds of recipes for gumbo: some that take all day to cook, others an hour and a half. Some are based on shrimp and crab meat. Others chicken and sausage.

The big reason for this is that gumbo was created by poor Cajuns who had to cook with what they had. Gumbo in its traditional form is almost always an improvisation with its variations based on whatever the cook has lying about the kitchen. So giving you a recipe for gumbo is like sheet music for jazz: it just ain't cool that way.

Here is a good beginners recipe for Gumbo. It is fairly authentic- note that for meat, it calls for: chicken breast, duck, wild game or sausage or shrimp. The meats can all be used in combination, one with the other or individually So you can see that gumbo is made from whatever you've got in the kitchen.

One of Gumbos more devine aspects is how it good smells when it is cooking. Make a big pot and neighbors and relatives you haven't seen for years will suddenly appear.

Here is another recipe for gumbo that only takes a 1 1/2 hours to prepare. This one is one of my favorites and only takes an hour and fifteen minutes. This recipe is loaded with seafood and is ready in an hour and 10 minutes.

Note:

• For those of you that can't get some of the more authentic ingredients, for andouie substitute spicy beef or pork sausage.
  • Red onions are the soul of Cajun- when in doubt use a red onion.
  • Cayenne pepper is widely available but it is often packaged and sold as "red pepper". Check the label.
  • Tabasco is authentic Cajun made hot sauce available nationally. Louisiana or Crystal hot sauces are somewhat local to the south and have a more understated flavor.
  • Even if you are not a big fan of okra, use it anyway. The seeds add a special flavor to the gumbo. You can always cut back on how much you use.

Let me know if you want to hear about Red Beans & Rice.

Besides adding flavor, okra has some kind of thickening agent that gives the soup body.

"Gumbo" comes from the word for "okra" is some African language, as I recall. A purist wouldn't call something a gumbo if it didn't have okra.

Spicy Cajun gumbo is just the thing for cold winter days.

The big reason for this is that gumbo was created by poor Cajuns who had to cook with what they had. Gumbo in its traditional form is almost always an improvisation with its variations based on whatever the cook has lying about the kitchen. So giving you a recipe for gumbo is like sheet music for jazz: it just ain't cool that way.

I almost always cook with what I have at hand: I think I'll have to try Cajun more often! Thanks!

[*]Cayenne pepper is widely available but it is often packaged and sold as "red pepper". Check the label.

It is also the active ingredient in self-defence pepper sprays. I love it, byt my suggestion is: use just a little at first if you are unfamiliar with it.

Like gumbo, red beans & rice is an improvised dish traditionally made on Mondays with red beans, vegetables, spices, and pork bones left over from Sunday dinner. Like gumbo there are as many variations on red beans & rice as there are cooks.

Here are a few things to look out for:

RB&R is often sold in a box at grocery stores: just add water simmer and... I say BAH! :thumbdown:

Real RB&R- the beans & sauce and rice are cooked seperately and not mixed until served.

Red beans or kidney beans can be found canned or dried. If dried, they must soak overnigh before you used them.

I've looked around the net for some suitable recipes. Here are a few that look promising.

Bayou Beans & Rice

[more to come, gotta run]

Super-Bowl Chili

If you come to one of my super bowl parties, you will find plenty of chili, hot dogs, nachos and whatever the other guests might bring.

The chili is critical. The nachos and hot dogs depend on it!

This is my best chili recipe:

Start with:

Bear Creek Darn Good Chili

1 med. red onion.

1 can light kidney beans

1 can dark kidney beans

1 can Rotel (plain or chili fixings is OK)

1 8 oz can of Hunts tomato Sauce (Hunts tomato sauce for chili is OK too)

1 can tomato paste

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1 tsp red pepper

1 tsp black pepper

1 tblsp salt

Instructions

Cut into fine pieces red onion

Set up crock pot

Put 6 cups water in crock pot.

Set crock pot to slow simmer.

Open package of Bear Creek Darn Good Chili mix, put in crock pot

Put beans, spices and tomato sauce into crock pot

Take a sauce pan, put in 1.5 pounds lean ground beef + onion

Brown meat and onions, drain any fat.

Add to crock pot.

Cook in crock pot over night on lowest setting.

Serves a small crowd.

Goes particulary well on hot dogs and nachos.

Serve with crackers and cheese.

Suicide Dogs all the way: regular hot dog + chili + cheese + saurkraut + spicy brown mustard + chopped onions + jalepinos