Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Man In Motion

Sometime today I'll post the first chapter of the next sequel in the "Chronicles of an Academic Predator" series. The story, "Man in Motion," follows Be Rad and begins in 1985. It is a strange era to write about. To most Americans, 1985 was about the second Reagan term and the economic boom that was following the stagnant 70's. The culture was wrapped up in materialism, so it's no wonder that Madonna's "Material Girl" was popular then. Then there is this parallel culture, the gay culture, reeling from the onslaught of AIDS. This is the year Rock Hudson died of AIDS, shocking the rest of the world and outing the gay side of Hollywood.

"Man in Motion" will try to wrap these elements in, but it is basically a story about relationships. I'm trying to keep it fun and interesting, and I'm trying not to kill off too many people.

I don't know how you would top Be-Rad, since it's probably the best out of all your GA posted stories (in my opinion), but MiM is starting out great.

You put the conflict early, and the AIDS scare/ condom use is putting a new spin in the story that was never present, before. And you seem to be using the device very effectively.

Thank you for posting this one so soon after Be-Rad ended, and also for writing and sticking it out to the conclusions. I don't know where this story would end, yet, but from the many hints you've left in the first chapter, you seem to have prepared a lot of events and conflicts in this story, already.

Can't wait to read the rest!

I don't know how you would top Be-Rad, since it's probably the best out of all your GA posted stories (in my opinion), but MiM is starting out great.

You put the conflict early, and the AIDS scare/ condom use is putting a new spin in the story that was never present, before. And you seem to be using the device very effectively.

Thank you for posting this one so soon after Be-Rad ended, and also for writing and sticking it out to the conclusions. I don't know where this story would end, yet, but from the many hints you've left in the first chapter, you seem to have prepared a lot of events and conflicts in this story, already.

Can't wait to read the rest!

Thanks!

I left the ending for Be Rad a little up in the air, so I felt that I owed it to my loyal reader(s) :P to get the new story out ASAP.

One of my goals is that when MiM is finished, people can read "The Land Whore" and "Man In Motion" and get an idea of how AIDS changed the sex lives of bi/gay guys.

You didn't skip a beat at all, Mark. Great opening chapter. :worship:

Sexy Jack is back! Sweet! :D

Exit stage right for Neil couldn't come too soon. What a jerk! Mind you, given his looks and body, he'll always have someone to whine at for sometime to come.......so long as it isn't Robbie. :lol:

Brad has matured rather nicely....still has his edge, though. :wub: The younger Brad would not have allowed Neil to live. :lol:

My only regret is that I missed the last two years of Brad being "single". :devil:

Conner

Well, if we're lucky, perhaps Mark will grace us with a little 'side story' about Brad (and maybe even of Robbie) in college, perhaps unrelated to the whole saga's continuity.

When he has time, that is, and with plenty of encouragement of others, I imagine.

^_^

Chapter 2 was excellent. :worship::worship:

Picturing Neil as Brad's "maid", apron and all, just about killed me. :lmao: That would so work for me. :2thumbs:

I'm thinking there's got to be an explanation for Robbie hanging in there with Neil. My best guess is that Brad overwhelms him to such an extent that he's totally fearful of being with him. I really want to kick Robbie's ass :angry: ...or better yet, spank his ass. 0:)

Max is a sweetheart. :wub: I'm thinking he's gonna fall for Brad big time. I can definitely see them together.

It strikes me you've had a lot of flirting experience, Mark. The "flirt" lines are great.

Conner

You didn't skip a beat at all, Mark. Great opening chapter. :worship: Sexy Jack is back! Sweet! :D Exit stage right for Neil couldn't come too soon. What a jerk! Mind you, given his looks and body, he'll always have someone to whine at for sometime to come.......so long as it isn't Robbie. :lol: Brad has matured rather nicely....still has his edge, though. :wub: The younger Brad would not have allowed Neil to live. :lol: My only regret is that I missed the last two years of Brad being "single". :devil: Conner

I have to agree with you, Conner, Neil's exit can't come soon enough...I, too missed on the first 2 years of college for B&R but suppose that's a hot and heavy short story from Mark later on...(hint, hint, kick-in-the-seat). Although the story is told from Brad's POV, it would've been nice to shift to Robbie's place for that conversation between him and Neil before and after Robbie's call to Brad.

I have to agree with you, Conner, Neil's exit can't come soon enough...I, too missed on the first 2 years of college for B&R but suppose that's a hot and heavy short story from Mark later on...(hint, hint, kick-in-the-seat). Although the story is told from Brad's POV, it would've been nice to shift to Robbie's place for that conversation between him and Neil before and after Robbie's call to Brad.

The story isn't over. You'll just have to wait for a few more chapters. I think you find out about that conversation in chapter 7 or 8.

Chapter 2 was excellent. :worship::worship:

Picturing Neil as Brad's "maid", apron and all, just about killed me. :lmao: That would so work for me. :2thumbs:

I'm thinking there's got to be an explanation for Robbie hanging in there with Neil. My best guess is that Brad overwhelms him to such an extent that he's totally fearful of being with him. I really want to kick Robbie's ass :angry: ...or better yet, spank his ass. 0:)

Max is a sweetheart. :wub: I'm thinking he's gonna fall for Brad big time. I can definitely see them together.

It strikes me you've had a lot of flirting experience, Mark. The "flirt" lines are great.

Conner

Explanation? LOL. You have no idea.

I can not say that I am surprised by the fact that Robbie and Brad broke up but at the same time it broke my heart. I read that they broke up because Robbie found someone new and my heart just fell right to my stomach. I want them back together but I do wonder if Brad will fall for Max and therefore not want Robbie back. I do want Brad to be happy and I want Robbie to be happy as well but you can tell from both of them and their actions that they want to get back together. I am a romantic at heart and while I want to think that random sex is hot and that I would love for Brad to be promiscuous and go and have fun, while being safe of course, but all I really want is to have Robbie and Brad back together. I think that is what will happen in the long run but it scares me that they are not together. I want life to be perfect and for couples to be happy. I know life is not perfect and no one is eternally happy but it is nice to think.

I do want to say that I LOVED Be Rad and I am so glad that Mark you are continuing this story. I love that we get to see more of Brad and his story and how he has and will continue to grow but every time he talks about Robbie I just want to cry. The sex in the story is not as good for me when it comes to Brad and Robbie because they are not together, the fact that the two of them are not as happy with their sex because they are not together makes me sad as well. I do love that you write so fast Mark and I only wish I could start reading this story like I did Be Rad, when it was almost all done so that I would not have to anguish and stifle my heart inbetween chapters.

Please keep up the fantastic work Mark and I do love all of your work. Be rad is my favorite so far but Man In Motion is looking to be just as good. Good luck with the upcoming works and much love.

Hi Mark,

I read all the related stories and was looking forward to a continuation of some sort. I really just came across MiM by accident. I noticed that it all ended before the "plague" began. Was grateful, because those were incredible years. I was fortunate to have come out somewhat, by 1978, so I experienced the carefree years. An amazing time.

Then, as mentioned in MiM, "dropping like flies" was an absolute expression of very sad truth. I lost a ton of friends, and became almost unemotional over further loss. Inured to it, there had been so much. Numbers, I really lost count.

So I am a bit leery of the emotions this MiM my stir, or maybe it will help me grieve, who knows.

One thing I have learned in your writing thus far is very tasteful, you treat us readers with utmost sensitivity, with dignity and respect. For that reason, I trust how you will proceed in dealing with a most heinous part of our history.

I truly love reading your work, your characters are so identifiable, for me. All wonderful.. all with some redeeming quality in the end. ( eeep!)

I am grateful for your gift. thx!

=)

t

UPDATE:

FYI, I plan to post Chapter 3 on Tuesday (give or take a day).

Chapter 4 should hit on Friday or Saturday.

And, as usual, Mark, you're ahead of schedule again. Chapter 3 for Tuesday posted on Sunday (2 days early, you're estimates are getting farther off :D ) and I read it along with four other stories I'm keeping up with <whew!>. So I'm guestimating over your estimate that Chap. 4 will probably post by Wed. or Thu. since you're running early.

Chap. 3 was excellent, Mark. A relief for me to see what happened with those relationships, and that things worked out the way they did...and that B&R will, hopefully, continue to have their relationship improve once again, it's been too long for them away at college.

That kink thing with Neil & Robbie is going to be interesting when it comes out... :unsure:

I am wondering if Stef is going to intervene and try to "fix" B&R just like Brad did for him and Greg. Perhaps that was Stef's idea on bringing Robbie with Tonto? I really hope so. And Lark & Max!!??!! Wow! I really wasn't expecting that one! I hope they "hook" up again! Thanks for the huge 'fix' Mark! Greatly apprecitated! That was an excellent chapter!

I am wondering if Stef is going to intervene and try to "fix" B&R just like Brad did for him and Greg. Perhaps that was Stef's idea on bringing Robbie with Tonto? I really hope so. And Lark & Max!!??!! Wow! I really wasn't expecting that one! I hope they "hook" up again! Thanks for the huge 'fix' Mark! Greatly apprecitated! That was an excellent chapter!

Thanks Sandra. And thank you, in general, for being so damn happy and upbeat! You inject positive karma into this whole site.

I didn't see the Max - Lark thing coming at all. Brad handled that very well. I must say. I'm sure Brad must have thought of teasing Lark though. Something like, "Lark, get that sweet ass of yours back in my bed! It's showtime!" :lmao: I can see Lark running now.

I thought the emotions coming from Greg were quite realistic Instead of expressing his fears to Stef, he just got angry. Men don't do that, do they? 0:)

Looking forward to more of Brad and Robbie in the next chapter. :wub:

Thanks Sandra. And thank you, in general, for being so damn happy and upbeat! You inject positive karma into this whole site.

Can't help it Babez, this place is my refuge! :P And you also bring happiness to my soul. And for that, I thank you.... Smooches for ya! *Pets your head* :wub:

Bah Chapter 3 took sooo long to post, even tho you wanted to wait till TUSDAY talk about a freeout here haha, Be-rad was posted just nicly so there was pretty much a chapter every two days up, course when it closed off it closed off really fast. As for this part of Brad's life, i'm enjoying it alot, but wow talk about alot of "Just a f**k" everywhere with everperson in sight, seriously i'm surprised.

Neil is cool, the annoying bitch of a boyfriend that no one can understand but his boyfriend (AKA Robbie) which is probably dead on to what steff said, robbie felt a little a float with Neil to catch him.

Ah well Keep them coming!! A Chapter a day if you will! since your talking about chapters 7 & 8 but yet we only get 3 :( how sad...It's much like Bill W's We read Book 1-5 but yet he's done up to book 8...Pfft!! Mean Authors taking there time.!

We Love you still tho :wub:

Ah well Keep them coming!! A Chapter a day if you will! since your talking about chapters 7 & 8 but yet we only get 3 :( how sad...It's much like Bill W's We read Book 1-5 but yet he's done up to book 8...Pfft!! Mean Authors taking there time.!

We Love you still tho :wub:

A chapter a day? Good grief! I see how often he posts the chapters, and I'm amazed. Cut him some slack. It takes a lot more time than you think. B)

Lol it's ok i know i'm being pushy with that last statment of mine. lol i'm just really into the story and with my wierd reading thing (Where i take a book whether it's 1000 pages or 100 pages i finish it in a day) So stopping is not something i'm into haha but i know it takes time.

lol

And, as usual, Mark, you're ahead of schedule again. Chapter 3 for Tuesday posted on Sunday (2 days early, you're estimates are getting farther off :D ) and I read it along with four other stories I'm keeping up with <whew!>. So I'm guestimating over your estimate that Chap. 4 will probably post by Wed. or Thu. since you're running early.

Chap. 3 was excellent, Mark. A relief for me to see what happened with those relationships, and that things worked out the way they did...and that B&R will, hopefully, continue to have their relationship improve once again, it's been too long for them away at college.

That kink thing with Neil & Robbie is going to be interesting when it comes out... :unsure:

And so I was right, Chapter 4 posted Wednesday night... :P

Mark! That was quite a surprise having that long B&R conversation on the beach, and in the plane with Max joining in it, too! You're quite a little surprise packager! I liked the twist at the end with the calendaring...and if I have to wait for Ch. 7 or 8 for Robbie's conversation with Neil over how Neil handled Robbie getting that from Brad, with your current schedule, I think I can hold out for a month... :D

Mark! That was quite a surprise having that long B&R conversation on the beach, and in the plane with Max joining in it, too! You're quite a little surprise packager! I liked the twist at the end with the calendaring...and if I have to wait for Ch. 7 or 8 for Robbie's conversation with Neil over how Neil handled Robbie getting that from Brad, with your current schedule, I think I can hold out for a month... :D

Isn't Mark getting better and better with each story he writes? I know I'm totally hooked with them! I'm so glad I stumbled onto Adam's Yahoo Group a few months ago, If I wouldn't have, I would not have "met" Mark and his wonderful "brain"! LOL :P Mark also got me "hooked" (like an addiction) by how fast he was posting BeRad! I'm gonna have to learn to be patien now. :( And in between chapters I'll be walking around like him ---> :wacko: DUH! LOL!

Love and Light

Sandra

That was definitely a big leap forward for Brad and Robbie. The pink elephant got acknowledged and defined and a plan was made to deal with it. Brad's not one for living in "shades of gray" and "not knowing".

The walk on the beach scene was just superb. Beautifully written. :worship: Seeing Brad be vulnerable like that, wow, it's not something we're going to see too often.

I loved the way Max stood up for Brad and told Robbie "how it is". That was sweet. :wub:

Any bets on how long Brad's sensitive side is gonna last? lol

Excellent as always Mark.

Another HIV- revealed, but this one not so much of a shock.

Waiting for all the plots to be revealed is akin to opening a chocolate bar very slowly, frustrating. When all you want to do is rip off the wrapper. Grrr :P

Edited by Sir_Galahad

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..