Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,295
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. That is true. It's the crazy ones you have to watch out for... those that enjoy being mean. Apparently his pa was one of those... crazy and mean while using his bible as a weapon....
  2. Thank you, Doha! Nothing makes me happier as a writer than to hear my characters feel real to a reader. I want us all to be that traveler, seeing and feeling the same things as they do. As far as Lucas and Jubal, there is something going on there, but is it only friendship? It seems so at this point, but they've just met, and attraction can be pushed away, especially if you are afraid of it. Morning is coming, as is a new day for these two men who have been through so much. Whatever happens, it will be better for Jubal than sleeping alongside a road to a future he doesn't really want. Appreciate the encouragement of your kind words, my friend.
  3. I love the speculation, but...
  4. Lots of fun, whether you like peanut butter or not. A charming read, it's worth the time it takes to 'consume'.
  5. Headstall

    Chapter 1

    A 'sweet' story, Ivor. Seriously, it was a fun and charming read. Well done, sir. Cheers!
  6. Lol. Thanks, buddy. This was as much about communication as it was about lovemaking. Some might think it sappy, and it was, but in reading it again, I feel the heart of it. Kendall has been under pressure for such a long time, starting when he was just a kid, but he never broke. Now he has that safe in Michael to let go. I don't think I ever really found that... Kendall is finally a fortunate man.
  7. Hey, centex! Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, no google, and not really many books at their disposal... just their wits, trail and error, and advice from older folk. You could have all the dreams you wanted on the frontiers, but making them come true was never easy. Still, Lucas learned from his first cabin, so let's hope his new one is a little better when Jubal sees it in daylight. Jubal really was lost when Lucas found him on the road, and not just geographically, but also in ways he keeps to himself. He was very fortunate to have been given a refuge while he reconsiders his life. He has less than half his money back, but he doesn't see it as enough to buy land and all the things he would need. It has been a bog blow, and while he seems to adapt quickly, that is the kind of thing that will stay with him for a time. I expect the rest of his money is gone, but he has time now to figure out a new path. Meantime, there are those wildings, and the excitement for them they both share in. Love these guys, and am pleased you enjoyed this really long chapter. Thank you, my friend. Gary.
  8. Hey, Tris! Thanks for the kind words. I love hearing that you can relate to Jubal. So many of us have been wounded in some way, and it seems likely Jubal has not had an easy time. Affability is a great word for describing Lucas. He puts Jubal at ease despite those fears he carries... and if he wasn't so affable, this friendship might not have formed like it did. He provided Jubal a haven when he didn't know him at all. And yeah, they fact they are hot as hell might never hurts a story. Don't know about any fishing, though. The readers are what makes this journey extra special... and I love the interchanges you have with each other as much as with me. I always have the backstories of these characters in my head, and comments make me think as they tease them out of me. It is an ongoing battle not to reveal too much. He he. Thanks for this, my friend, and please leave a story like and story recommendation if you can. So far, this story has not gotten many of them.
  9. I've had to do it too, Mac, and you're right. It beats the crap out of a person. I have a mare who is thirty and a half years old, and I'm dreading losing her. She's arthritic at times, but she's not in any real pain, so I'll do my best to let nature handle it. Glad you're along for the ride... I believe it is a worthwhile journey to take. Please keep me posted on your thoughts... cheers! G.
  10. I've watched all three new episodes and I'm still invested. I really like the pace of it, just like I did for the first season. Matt seems a totally different man for some reason.
  11. You're welcome. I'm so glad you found it hilarious, my friend. I had a lot of fun writing these two, especially after the stress of visiting the sheriff was over with. Conversation has become very easy for them, and for someone like Jubal, that is a big deal, if we can believe the clues he's given us. It's a little early to say what Reid is actually like, but I get what you're saying. It would seem that fishing comment had some other meaning behind it but... I love how you see Lucas and Jubal right now. It feels safe to us, and I think it feels safe to Jubal... at least for now, when they are alone. He still has his fears about himself, but I don't think he has any for Lucas. I felt good combining these two chapters into one. it gave us a little more insight into them at one time, and that's a good thing. Thank you, sweet lady. You always make me feel good about my writing.
  12. Hello, my friend. It does seem like Lucas could be interested... but it is hard for Jubal to tell either way, since he doesn't trust his perceptions. We don't know where Lucas is at... we only get Jubal's POV, but yeah, he used a couple of handsomes, and maybe that means something. Morning wood might be a good bet... they are young men after all. I think both men are relieved to be at the farm. I'm sure Lucas fretted about leaving his animals alone, because anything could have happened. Jubal had many days after being ambushed thinking he had no place to go, so this bit of stability means a lot to him. It'll be interesting to see what Jubal thinks if he gets that hair and beard trimmed on his new friend. Thanks for the support and the great comment... hope you enjoyed this much longer read. Cheers!
  13. They were actually washing in that crick at between one and two in the morning, after seeing the sheriff in Bearpaw at midnight. Men would be used to bathing in cold water in those times, but balls are balls, and they would never get used to that first shock. Each man got an eyeful with that three quarter moon in the sky, and we know Jubal sure liked what he saw. Maybe Lucas's staring was innocent. Yeah....
  14. Wes! Thank you! Awesome to see your horrible, evil clown face.
  15. I know that part, having read it many times. It is brilliant writing and there is a powerful message there. If only we could stay on our islands and never fac ethe unknown hazards that will forever change us... Thanks for quoting such a passage here, in this little western. Jubal has given many hints as to a life gone wrong, and I would say he is definitely carrying scars of both kinds. I'm pleased you appreciate the banter, Doc. It is what I most love writing, once the characters reach that point. It's become easy for them rather quickly, but when you click with someone, that is usually the case. Have no fear of there being a triple chapter... ain't going to happen no matter how much anyone begs. I will say one more thing I was going to not comment on. To call this a masterpiece in moonlight and comparing it to what Melville wrote is something I will not forget, though I don't consider myself anywhere near his league. Cheers, my friend, and thank you for your kind support.
  16. Drew doesn't understand the concept.
  17. Cause he's my brother.
  18. Yep, mostly. The rest is English, Irish, and Danish.
  19. I think we were all feeling a little grimy.
  20. Totally agree. I love when Jubal has the thought he has found someone he can 'pester'. My favorite aunt used to say I 'tormented' her. We used to fall into that natural banter every time we saw each other. It was like breathing, and yes, it was a precious thing.
  21. Yeah, I think Lucas would have to very very blunt with Lucas, because the man doesn't have trust in what he sees when it comes to nuance. I think that is a learned response rather than who he actually is. Lol. Smoked or fresh? Obviously something bad happened to Jubal... And yes, scars prove you lived. I really like that.
  22. Awesome!
  23. We had warm milk in the mornings while waiting for the cookstove to heat up the kitchen. It did the trick after getting washed up in cold water. Believe it or not, I miss those days in our little house in the woods. The life of a farmer is not an easy one, and I wanted to show the amount of work involved just with feeding and watering, without dwelling on each little thing. Doing it through dialogue is better than giving a narrative, at least, that's what I believe. You're right that horses names are often tied to their sires and dams, but horse registries were not really a thing in those days, except for racing. When you have a horse for twenty five years, you want the name to fit. Often they are named shortly after they are born, once the owner thinks of one that works. I take great care in naming my horses. For example, one colt I named after seeing him for the first time. I called him a rock star when I laid eyes on him, so he became Elvis. Unfortunately, he had an Aguinal hernia and didn't make it. Jubal's memories of Vincent are good ones, and they are not colored by bitterness. Sounds like Vincent was always truthful, and probably loved him deeply. There will be more to learn later. Porcupine is supposedly very tasty--they are pretty easy to hunt--but I have never actually had it. As far as Lucas, he's comfortable in his own skin, and isn't shy. I doubt many cowboys were. What you call flirting might just be him having a bath and showing friendly interest in a new friend. He sees nothing wrong with his curiosity, but since we are only getting Jubal's POV, we don't know what Lucas is actually thinking. I see you got both aspects of the chapter title, and that is very satisfying to me. What we see is what we get with Lucas... at least that's the way it seems to me. I do so agree about the trust they've developed. To sleep next to someone and fall asleep so easily is very telling. I was hoping readers would get a lot from this chapter, and you, my friend, have touched on a lot of it. Sure, there are lots of new questions, but that's the fun of it. We've learned enough... for now. Thanks for another wonderful, thoughtful comment, my lady. Hope all is well with you. Cheers!
×
×
  • Create New...