Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 2,233 Words
  • 4,699 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Red Running Shoes - 3. Running light

Jonah is stupid again.

On the plane to Catania, Sicily

Judging by how much I’d already learned about the love life of the guy who sat in the row in front of me – I don’t want to talk about it - or about the slut daughter of my seat-neighbor’s best friend – what could you expect knowing her mother - it was good I could ‘talk’ to Zach. Quietly. At least as long as I sat on board a plane heading to Catania, Sicily.

I was going to visit my cousin Rick. I’m lucky the family loves me, even if I am known as the one who comes by spontaneously and sometimes slightly overstays his welcome. When I felt like the walls were closing in on me and I had to remove myself from the situation I was in, I knew I always had a place away from home with them.

Rick lives near Agrigento. When he decided to travel for a while to find his life balance after he graduated from university, nobody knew he would find it amidst an old orange grove in Sicily, while he was trying to snitch some of the fruits for his famous fennel-orange salad. For almost four years now, the center of his life has been his husband Matteo.

And I admit I'm totally, utterly envious.

***

Okay. Zach, aka my beloved laptop, shall we?

To understand what happened next, I have to tell you some things about me. First of all, I'm not a morning person and I loathe everything about alarm clocks. The name itself - alarm! clock - the gruesome noises they produce and they're almost always ugly. Even if they play your favorite tune, it sounds like it comes straight out of the trashcan.

It was fucking Monday morning, fucking 6:30 a.m. and the fucking alarm clock wouldn't stop blaring.

If this is too much ‘fucking’ I’m sorry Zach, but this is how my brain talks before I have my first coffee.

Back to Monday morning 6:36 a.m.

I thought ‘What the Hell’ when I saw the time, then it dawned on me, literally, I had a meeting with this new client at nine a.m. sharp, and I had to go by subway because my bike broke down the other day.

So I peeled myself out of bed and stumbled barefoot to the kitchen, where the heavenly smell of the freshly brewed nectar of life awaited me. I hadn't forgotten to program the coffee machine for once. Hail me! I poured a mug, shoveled at least three spoonfuls of sugar into it - no milk for the first coffee of the morning - and slumped down into the closest chair to inhale the only alarm clock I actually tolerate. Only then I did I feel up to the task of not drowning myself in the shower.

The second thing you should know, Zach, is I'm not into clothes. For me it's extremely difficult to find something appropriate to wear around the office aka business environment.

I had to go through all my stuff. No faded jeans with holes or without holes or paint from my I know-I'm-not-an-artist-but-I-paint-anyway sessions. No leather pants either. No tees with questionable prints, no baggy sweaters, no silk button-down shirts (heh, heh, I didn't know I had those), definitely no tie - ahha, I found a black turtleneck sweater - thanks Mum - my new black jeans and a black leather jacket. I braided my hair and that had to suffice.

The Monday morning horrors went on as they had started. I forgot to buy new contacts and had to wear my glasses, I had to run to catch the train, and I almost spilled my vanilla latte and ruined my pants, which was actually against the rule, because I ALMOST spilled it.

As I thought, the office building was one of those glass-heavy high-rises; the lobby was fancy with marble floors, polished bamboo wood, and lots of steel. At the large curved reception desk sat a beautiful and very competent looking guy.

Yay!

"Good morning, I have an appointment with Steve Daniels at nine; my name is Jonah de Rossi." When I mentioned nine, the guy's left eyebrow rose slightly and he made quite a production out of looking at the wall clock behind him.

It was 9:01, so what?

9:01 is late, Jonah. Shut up Zach.

He typed something on his computer, talked into a phone, and then told me to take a seat.

"Mr. Daniels will be here shortly."

After about five minutes nervously tapping my foot on the floor, a guy in his mid-thirties with short blond hair, branded jeans and a pinstriped grey button-down shirt came walking over. "Jonah de Rossi?" I nodded. "Please follow me, my name is Steve Daniels, but you can call me Steve."

Off we went to the elevators. Looking at him, I was very relieved that I wasn't totally off the mark, clothes-wise I mean. Otherwise, well, I hadn't had the opportunity to talk much, yet. Which would be the third thing you should probably know about me, Zach. Some of the things I have said in my life…

While we were waiting for the elevator Steve smiled at me. “No problem finding us? I was told it can get a little complicated at times.”

At first I thought this was Steve’s subtle way of telling me I was late, but his smile was so honest, I knew he was just making small talk. I apologized anyway, and explained how my bike had broken down and was at the shop, and that I had had some problems using the subway.

On our ride up, I noticed he discretely gave me a once-over.

Was Steve checking me out? No. It felt more like curiosity, as if he knew something I didn’t, yet.

Clearing his throat he said, "You come highly recommended. The boss saw some of your work and suggested we should contact you for the job.”

"Wow! That’s great." And unexpected. Too good to be true. Monday morning, remember?

“Do you know Mr. Arnold personally?”

“Err, I don’t think so. I thought you were the one I would be working with.”

Before he could answer, we arrived on our floor and got off the elevator. I looked around curiously and noticed a somewhat familiar figure talking to the receptionist. I was still pondering whether I knew him or not, when he gazed up over rimless glasses. My heart skipped a beat. Ren?

I grabbed Steve’s arm, stopping him from going any further. "Steve, who's that guy standing by the reception desk?"

"Oh, that's Ren Arnold. I was under the impression you knew each other. He's the one who recommended you, after all." He waved at Ren, clearly asking him to come over.

Okay Zach, another thing you might want to know about me is that I’m impulsive. For example, behaving like an idiot and refusing very profitable, interesting, and career advancing jobs just because I hate the client is perfectly normal for me. It’s good I’m my own boss; otherwise, I’d be fired regularly.

"I'm sorry Steve, but I can't work for Mr. Arnold, ever. Therefore, I must refuse this very tempting job offer." Catching a glimpse of Ren heading in our direction was my cue; I turned on my heels and... ran.

Steve's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to question my state of mind I’m sure. Only I didn’t hear him, because I was already too far away.

Instead of the elevator, I took the stairs.

"Jonah, wait! God dammit, you're such a girl sometimes, always running away," Ren called behind me.

Yeah right with shoe size eleven. Bastard!

Several floors below I opened a random door and was lucky to catch the elevator on its way down just before the doors were closing. Reaching the first floor, I stormed out of the building, passing a very disapproving-looking receptionist. I almost expected him to shout, "No running in the lobby!"

Well, he wouldn't shout in the lobby anyway, would he?

Sitting on the train I got a one-word text: “Coward!”

The talented author I am, I very eloquently texted back, “Fucker!” all the while wondering how Ren got my number.

And yes, Zach, even though it seemed I couldn't help it, I knew I had to work on my exit. I had to control all this running. Behaving like my bratty fourteen-year-old sister was bad. Embarrassing. I was kinda reacting on instinct, though.

Flight instinct, obviously. Shut up Zach!

And what did he call after me? 'You're such a girl sometimes!'

At that moment I honestly thought about cutting my hair. But he didn’t mean it like that, right?

There was a reason why I hadn’t cut my hair for about six years.

***

"I have to get a haircut."

"No, baby please, don't. I love your hair."

"But Eric, it's getting in the way, I can't see a thing and I’m going to have to tie it into a ponytail soon."

"Please? Grow it out. For me? It looks so good on you, and I love to grab it while your mouth..."

"All right, all right, I get it. Do we have to discuss this in the gym hall of all places?"

"You asked."

"Yeah. I think I'll have to buy some hair ties then."

***

The failed job interview was on my mind for the rest of the week. Why was Ren targeting me? First he played matchmaker for Eric and Chris, now this. Could it be a misunderstanding? Definitely not. This Daniels guy said Ren recommended me, but after what happened on Friday, I knew he couldn't stand me. Why would he offer me a job then? The only possible conclusion was that he never really wanted me to work for him in the first place. It all had to be a ruse. Which led me back to the initial question: Why was he targeting me?

As far as I knew, the first time we ever talked was at Chris's and there he had been kinda passive-aggressive already. Chris had mentioned him once or twice before. Maybe I had spilled a drink on him at the club? Nah, I would remember that.

So, why? The simple answer to that was because Ren was a stupid bastard, that's why.

Otherwise, the week was very uneventful, except for the fact that the upcoming Saturday was Valentine's Day, my most dreaded holiday of all time.

In the end, my friend Alec saved me from an orgy of self-pity. Thursday he called and asked me to visit him at his cottage to help him with his new book. I gladly accepted. Saturday I would be on the road. Yay! Valentine, my ass!

The morning of Valentine’s Day, I found a red rose attached to the handlebars of my bike, together with a short message in an unknown handwriting.

Run baby run. When I catch you…

What the fuck?

Later more Zach, we’re landing.

***

(Catania, Sicily: At the airport)

I saw Rick first. He was waving wildly at me from behind a barrier, before he ran off in the direction of the baggage conveyor, his small frame and dark, curly head quickly swallowed up by the masses.

Looking around for Matteo, I finally detected his blond head at the gap between the glass panels. His gaze followed his energetic husband, before it found me. Shrugging his shoulders, he winked and I couldn’t suppress a smile. Seeing him calmly towering over the people milling about, as always, unperturbed by the chaos around him, nobody would expect him to be the one who was born in Sicily in the sixth generation.

He was the total opposite to my dear cousin, together they formed a perfect balance.

Actually, balance could be their main theme. Seeing they called their small but excellent restaurant, 'La Bilancia' (just for you Zach: beam scales). To quote Rick: "I'm doing the business shit, he's doing the cooking."

Balanced.

God, I was so envious! Sososo envious.

Isn't envy one of the seven deadly sins? Invidia, right? Yes, Zach, I too read ‘The Divine Comedy’. Luxuria, avaritia, ira, gula, invidia, acedia, superbia. Stupidity should be the eighth, or even better, the first deadly sin. Now we have to find a fancy name. Stultitia?

"Hey, where are your running shoes?" Rick grinned and clapped me on the shoulder, successfully interrupting my discussion with God about sins.

“In the suitcase. You talked to Meg.”

Obviously Rick had told Meg that it was his turn to help me clean up my mess and she had told him about her nice little farewell gift. Thank you so much, Meg!

“I did. Shouldn’t they be on your feet?”

"Yeah, well, I was kind of in a hurry to get out of there, so..."

"Shouldn't you wear them precisely when you're in need of getting out of somewhere? Wasn't that the idea behind Meg’s thoughtful gift? To run so that you won't have to run?"

"Just shut the fuck up, will you Rick?"

His dark eyes widened in shock and I grinned sheepishly. Hell, I was tired and I really didn’t feel like friendly bantering with my cousin right then. Somewhere during my flight to Catania, while writing my journal, I had realized no matter where you run, there you are.

 

Orange-Fennel-Salad

Thank you for reading and commenting. I love to hear your thought. If you want, you can join us in our discussion thread.
Copyright © 2015 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Ok, I'm starting to get into the book. I think I was initially distracted by my dislike of Chris' and Eric's gall and insensitivity. I really dislike them!!

But I'm now caught up in the story's good pacing and charm. But note I still want to b!tch slap Chris and eric...just saying.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You give us a taste and then suddenly it's over and we have to wait a week for more.....

Why do I get the impression that the journey stays a bit bumpy?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 12:07 AM, Nlaudenslager said:
Ok, I'm starting to get into the book. I think I was initially distracted by my dislike of Chris' and Eric's gall and insensitivity. I really dislike them!!

But I'm now caught up in the story's good pacing and charm. But note I still want to b!tch slap Chris and eric...just saying.

I was told every story needs someone to hate, I can see Eric and Chris do that for you. Thank you for your kind words, and we'll see about Chris and Eric. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 01:12 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Great job Addy! The story is playing out beautifully with each missive to Zach. It flows seamlessly.
Thank you Cole! You gotta love Zach. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 02:21 AM, Daddydavek said:
You give us a taste and then suddenly it's over and we have to wait a week for more.....

Why do I get the impression that the journey stays a bit bumpy?

Chapters will get longer the further we go. And yes, I have to make sure you'll come back. Right? Bumpy, yes definitely. Thank you for reading and commenting Dave. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ren, huh? :huh: Well, this is interesting... I don't know if creeping out the object of desire is likely to be a successful way of wooing him. Guess we'll find out!

Interesting that Jonah appears to be trying to prove stuff to Ren... :thumbup:

Link to comment

Great authentic and fresh voice. I was very happy to stumble upon this story today, and hope to read more in the future.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 05:34 AM, Irritable1 said:
Ren, huh? :huh: Well, this is interesting... I don't know if creeping out the object of desire is likely to be a successful way of wooing him. Guess we'll find out!

Interesting that Jonah appears to be trying to prove stuff to Ren... :thumbup:

Creeping out the object of desire....hahahaha Okay do you think he's doing that on purpose? I'm learning new words while writing this: flummoxed, floundering, flabbergasted...

You're an attentive reader. :) Thanks, Irri.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 03:04 PM, Sara Alva said:
Great authentic and fresh voice. I was very happy to stumble upon this story today, and hope to read more in the future.
Thank you, Sara. I'm so glad you like my story. Thank you for your kind words. I try to update every weekend. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Jonah, Jonah, Jonah, turning down good money just b/c Ren recommended you is not good! Now he's letting his personal feelings get in the way of business.

 

I love the roses Ren put on Jonah's handlebars - so romantic 'run, baby, run...' He'll find him anyway. lol

 

Great chapter, Addy! :)

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 10/07/2014 07:02 AM, Lisa said:
Jonah, Jonah, Jonah, turning down good money just b/c Ren recommended you is not good! Now he's letting his personal feelings get in the way of business.

 

I love the roses Ren put on Jonah's handlebars - so romantic 'run, baby, run...' He'll find him anyway. lol

 

Great chapter, Addy! :)

Thank you Lisa! At least he knows, he's being stupid and he's working on it. So you think it was Ren?
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh I absolutely LOVED it when Jonah ran out on Steve and Ren. Awesome. :D

I wish I could have heard Ren try to explain to Steve why the guy he'd recommended for the job refused to work for them, just because of him personally. Although, I have the feeling that Steve knew Ren wants to catch Jonah for more than a freelance job. The red rose and the message on the bike was a dead give away, so Jonah disappearing just then was perfect.

I'm happy Jonah decided to run even further (to Sicily), and I recommend he keeps running from Ren, preferably while giving him the finger and insulting him in as many ways as possible. I hate smug, cocky, inscrutable, I-know-what's-best-for-you stalkers. Oh and that goes for relatives and so-called friends too.

  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
On 10/20/2014 07:18 AM, Timothy M. said:
Oh I absolutely LOVED it when Jonah ran out on Steve and Ren. Awesome. :D

I wish I could have heard Ren try to explain to Steve why the guy he'd recommended for the job refused to work for them, just because of him personally. Although, I have the feeling that Steve knew Ren wants to catch Jonah for more than a freelance job. The red rose and the message on the bike was a dead give away, so Jonah disappearing just then was perfect.

I'm happy Jonah decided to run even further (to Sicily), and I recommend he keeps running from Ren, preferably while giving him the finger and insulting him in as many ways as possible. I hate smug, cocky, inscrutable, I-know-what's-best-for-you stalkers. Oh and that goes for relatives and so-called friends too.

Is there a Jonah somewhere inside of you maybe? LOL Because that's exactly what Jonah hates. Ren seems to push all the right buttons. ;)

Thank you, Tim!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Slowly catching up here...... :P

 

Paranoid much? Then again, considering the people he has surrounded himself with... at least he seems to have good family to run through.

 

You had me smiling almost the entire time, THANK YOU!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter was much easier to handle. I am all for Jonah running, as long he is saying "F" you as well. He did that with Ren and I felt some pride for him. He should get a haircut though as another way of saying "F" you to Eric. So far all the guys leave something to be desired....I wonder if Zach is hot? At least he would know when to shut up and he wouldn't cheat...unless someone got his password. All kidding aside, I did like this chapter and if you could get Jonah to tell Chris and Eric what assholes they are, I would be quite happy....Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/10/2014 04:33 PM, Headstall said:
This chapter was much easier to handle. I am all for Jonah running, as long he is saying "F" you as well. He did that with Ren and I felt some pride for him. He should get a haircut though as another way of saying "F" you to Eric. So far all the guys leave something to be desired....I wonder if Zach is hot? At least he would know when to shut up and he wouldn't cheat...unless someone got his password. All kidding aside, I did like this chapter and if you could get Jonah to tell Chris and Eric what assholes they are, I would be quite happy....Cheers...Gary
Zach is totally hot, let's see if I can post a picture sometime. He has a rainbow colored piano keys skin. :P His password is top secret...

I will see what I can do to make you happy. :)

Thank you for your comment, Gary!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
:lol: I laughed so hard when he ran out of the office but not very clever of him to turn down that job offer ! Silly boy :P Nice chapter :)
Link to comment
On 02/16/2015 11:45 AM, flamingo136 said:
Recently came across this story and instantly became intrigued...great job!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike
Thank you, Mike! Welcome aboard.
Link to comment

Great chapter!

 

It was fun how Jonah run away from Ren, businesswise not to clever. Jonah is lucky to have so many welcoming relatives when he needs a place to hide.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/22/2015 07:28 AM, Suvitar said:
Great chapter!

 

It was fun how Jonah run away from Ren, businesswise not to clever. Jonah is lucky to have so many welcoming relatives when he needs a place to hide.

Thank you! That's Jonah for you. When in doubt, run. I'm glad you liked the chapter. :)
Link to comment
On 12/13/2016 09:24 AM, droughtquake said:

I ran out of Likes earlier this morning.

 

Rea is just creepy! (And I think he left the rose & note on the bike too.)

No worries.

And about the rose - you think?

It's intriguing to follow you along and read your comments. After all this time. Thank you!

Link to comment

Before reading: *looks at chapter, looks at the time, looks at the chapter again* Damn. I have to cover for someone for an hour in 5 minutes. 

 

While reading:

  • Fudge it, I can read a good bit in five minutes!
  • I’m lucky the family loves me, even if I am known as the one who comes by spontaneously and sometimes slightly overstays his welcome. - LMAO, dude.
  • Aaaaand pause. Got as far as reading "Zach, I'm not into clothes." BRB.
  • *slumps in work chair* Finally back like an hour later. Now where was I? Right! Appropriate clothes to wear.
  • "Jonah, wait! God dammit, you're such a girl sometimes, always running away," Ren called behind me. - LMAO! That was the best line ever.
  • Sitting on the train I got a one-word text: “Coward!” The talented author I am, I very eloquently texted back, “Fucker!” all the while wondering how Ren got my number. - LMAO! I can't...I just can't...
  • The morning of Valentine’s Day, I found a red rose attached to the handlebars of my bike, together with a short message in an unknown handwriting. 'Run baby run. When I catch you…' What the fuck? - Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..