Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 758 Words
  • 9,539 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confounded: Part I - 16. Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16 --==Taylan's POV==--

Later that afternoon, we took Kit back to San Diego, a relaxed 2-hour trip. Mitchell was stalling though, and grew more quiet as we approached the city, making it two-and-a-half hours instead. When he finally parked, in front of a big mother...of a house, we were in a neighborhood that, even by just looking around, gave me the chills; even the meticulously kept lawns seemed cold and calculating.

I would have preferred to remain in the car, first because I wanted father and son to have the opportunity to say goodbye, and second because I so did not want to meet Kit's mother. But he decided differently, and practically dragged me with him into the house.

"Mom! I'm home. Dads' here too, with Taylan!"

"Coming!" came the equally shouted answer, somewhere in the back. A door slammed, and then another before an absolute beauty of a woman joined us in the hallway.

It became immediately apparent to me where Kit had gotten the black hair, the warm blue eyes, and maybe even part of his height as well; I was the smallest, by far, in here. Very good for my self esteem.

She greeted her son by kissing him, and repeated it with Mitchell; they seemed to be quite friendly. Then she turned to me and smiled invitingly; not a hint of falseness or viciousness, as I had expected.

"Hello. I'm Sienna, Kit's mother. Nice to finally meet you!"
Mitchell introduced us, and I shook her hand, keeping quiet. She gave her ex-husband a quick glance.

"Christ Mitch, what did you tell him about me?"
He grinned, but before he could tell her anything, chatterbox Kit intruded, and the awkward moment was over.

"Look Mom, I got a new game and clothes. And shoes!"
He dragged her into the living room, where she admired his war proceeds, eying the game with a weary look.

"You didn't buy him that stupid game, did you? He's been yapping about it for ages."
Mitchell immediately put her mind at ease.

"No. He tried it but, thanks to Tay, he bought something else."
She sent me a thankful nod.

"Good, thank you. Come in, come in; you want something to drink?"
Mitchell shook his head.

"No, we'll return right away. I just have to say goodbye..."

It was pretty apparent that he didn't want to, and when Kit tried to get him to stay longer, the boy sat there blinking heavily, and Mitchell was likewise swallowing with difficulty. Both Sienna and I looked at the scene as they hugged.

"Every time it's a small drama," she whispered to me. I glanced sideways, and she nodded to the two. "Never fails; they're both kind of..."

"Teary eyed bozos?"

"Understatement. You wouldn't believe the amount of emails, text messages, and calls they make. And that's just daily. They're two hours apart but you'd think they're never seeing each other again." From the sound of it, she didn't think this arrangement that ideal either. "Sometimes I think it'd be better if he went to live with Mitch."

"Why doesn't he?" I asked, unable to hide my curiosity.

"Because Mitch is alone, and he's gone most of the time. He can't be there for him, even though he wants to. But that was the agreement we made; one of us should always be home for Kit."

Old fashioned but understandable, really, especially if you thought about how families raised their kids these days; both mom and dad having busy jobs, dropping kids at daycare and such. I didn't come from a close-knit family but my mom also had been home. Always. Dad provided the income, she provided the safe haven, so to speak. Like I said; old fashioned but a lot better than what was happening all over the world these days.

Both Mitchell and Kit had finally said their goodbyes, and came over, each with moist eyes. I grinned at Kit and offered my hand.

"Well kid; see ya next time?"
He ignored the hand, and hugged me instead, again squeezing like a vice.

"Maybe...not...if...you...keep...squeezing...me...like...that."
He let go and dried his cheek with the back of his hand.

Even I had to swallow now. Stupid kid.

**********

On the way back, Mitchell remained quiet, but once we were closer to home, he asked if I wanted to be brought straight home. I let him make the choice.

"It's still early, so..."

He made a turn, driving straight to Sherman Oaks.

No corrections.
andr0gene 2005-Present; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 14
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was a really sad chapter, those two love each other so much. Even the mother wants them to be together, I understand why they aren't but man that was a bit of a tear jerker chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I thought it was funny the way Taylan tried not to be affected by Kit and Mitchell being all upset. Oh and Kit's mum was wonderful, she obviously understands her kid and her ex very well. Cool not to do the whole evil-ex-wife routine.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Hmm...Taylan is currently without a job. That means he could stay home and be there for Kit. I think a few more things will have to happen before that occurs, but I can see it happening. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/18/2015 07:05 PM, Graeme said:

Hmm...Taylan is currently without a job. That means he could stay home and be there for Kit. I think a few more things will have to happen before that occurs, but I can see it happening. :)

Hah! Well...who knows! ;)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..