Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 26. Chapter 26


Janice had arrived, just after Yvonne had cleared lunch, with Rascal who was in danger of seriously damaging his back with the way he was wriggling it back and forth and whipping his tail. But the little mutt was sooooo pleased to see his humans again and had a happy canine smile on his face. And, of course, no one was allowed to be out of his sight. Janice was staying the night as David was away on a seniors golfing tour on the Garden Route.

Andrew and Ryan both returned to the office the morning after they arrived home.
Andrew dropped Cameron and Elizabeth at school, who were none too happy at having to stay two hours extra in the afternoon for the next two weeks in order to catch up the lessons they had missed while away in Europe. Their daddy patiently explained that was the agreement that was made with the school principal so that they could go on the trip, but although accepting, were still not too enamoured with the idea. They, too, wanted to play with Rascie!

But they were all back into their normal routines in no time at all. Winter gave way to Spring and as the warmer summer weather approached, along with the associated Cape south-easterly winds, things at Devlin-Major got rather busy.

Firstly, in the final week of October, Belle Catherine' was put back into the water, refurbished inside and out, resplendent in her new exterior colour scheme.

The boys had decided that the new yacht looked too much like a wedding cake in an all white paint job, so the decision was taken to add some colour into the mix. Nothing too startling, but in keeping with the corporate identity. And 'Belle Catherine' would get the same treatment as well.

So it was that 'Belle Catherine' now floated at her berth in the marina, looking brand, spanking new with her navy blue hulls sporting thin burgundy and gold cheat lines above and below her portholes. Her coachwork remained white. The gold line thinned out at the bows and stern transom and outlined her name as well.

Her interior had also been refurbished in keeping with the scheme on the new yacht as well. Andrew had gone for a 'beach-house' look and it looked very fresh and homely.

The U - shaped seating area with the dining table now sat on a striped carpet in white, grey and three shades of blue. Scatter cushions in the same shades were arranged on the off -white seats with three cushions in red, yellow and green adding pops of colour.

All her interior oak woodwork had been lightened during a previous makeover and although it would not exactly match that of the new yacht, Ryan and Andrew had not deemed the change to be necessary. In the aft cockpit, the blues still predominated with just Andrew's usual small pops of colour.

In the cabins, the beds were now covered by comforters in a very similar design to the saloon carpet and also had similar scatter cushions. Bed sheets remained white - Andrew had put his foot down on that one - but the pillows were a mix of greys and blues. Each cabin had two splashes of colour. A small modern artwork, done by Janice, in bright primary colours, and a single scatter cushion in one of those colours. A larger painting also hung in the saloon.

Neither Andrew nor Ryan had seen the finished product as it had been completed while they were away, and even though they had approved every aspect, the reality of the refurb delighted them both and their expectations about the new yacht grew to a fever pitch. Darren and Kerry were just as delighted with the changes, with Kerry commenting that 'Belle Catherine' felt like a brand new vessel.

A week later, very early on a Friday, they all flew up to the Drakensberg Resort. That included David and Janice, and Rascal. Andrew had decided to make it a corporate outing, so Claude, François and Toby were on the trip, as well as Richard and his fiancé. And Darren and Kerry. The reopening festivities would take place over a full weekend culmi-nating in a gala buffet dinner on the Saturday night. With Andrew and Ryan on board, Larry had arranged a very big event, and they were all quietly confident of its success.

Through a series of carefully and strategically timed teasers, adverts proclaiming the rebirth of the resort under the Devlin-Major Portfolio had been released to the media. Interest had been immediate and the remaining rooms had been quickly snapped up, so the resort was packed. Larry and his staff were going to have their work cut out for them.

Several media outlets had been invited as well including Michael Gibson, the editor of Lodge Inn magazine, and his wife. Most were travelling from Johannesburg, and were driving down for the weekend, although yet another luxury bus was driving a smaller group down.

Andrew considered chartering a plane to fly the Cape Town party all directly to the resort, but after a discussion with Larry and the vagaries of the weather in the area at that time of the year with the possibility of very heavy thunder-storms that would render the runway inconducive to safe operation, he flew them instead to Pietermaritzburg, also on a charter, and then a Sikorsky S-92 Executive helicopter for the half hour hop to the resort over the picturesque Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands countryside, flying over Bulwer and Underberg to the resort, touching down mid-morning on a convenient open piece of grass on the resort grounds, before the other guests began arriving. The helicopter would become a major attraction over the weekend.

Darren and Kerry were like two kids in a toyshop during both flights, experiencing their very first taste of private flying. He had a permanent grin on his face and Kerry was wide-eyed.

"I remember once saying that Kerry and I fell with our bums in the butter when we met you two. This is exactly what I was talking about. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be flying in private jets and helicopters.
Richard nodded his head in agreement.

"Darren is absolutely spot on! Even though we all work in luxury surroundings every day, this is in a different league completely. You guys have given us an insight into another world, luxury yachts, top hotels and restaurants, flying privately! Just wow!!"
Claude and François, being older and more worldly wise, took it in their stride, although both were similarly overawed.

On arrival, Andrew and Ryan were both amazed at the obvious change. The entire resort looked new under its fresh coat of paint, possibly because the surrounding landscape was so verdant as well. The area had obviously had a good amount of rain, and the gardens looked immaculate.

Larry welcomed them effusively and accompanied them to their rooms, the same rooms they had occupied on their first visit. The Cape Town contingent occupied the entire block, including the two pilots.

Although they were both aware of the choices that had been made as far as the new decor was concerned, it could not prepare them for the difference the new decor made to the rooms. Once again, Andrew had hit it out of the park. Even he was surprised at the final product. The "colours of the mountains", as Andrew referred to it, in an eclectic mix of bold stripes and patterns, perfectly captured the country feeling that he wanted to convey. When they toured the resort before everyone arrived, each block had very subtle differences, a lampshade or cushion in a different accent colour, but it all resulted in a very cohesive look.

The weekend was a roaring success. The weather played it's part, remaining comfortably warm during the day, giving way to balmy nights where a myriad stars twinkled overhead in a pitch black sky.

There was nothing formal arranged for the Friday night as the guests were still arriving, but welcome cocktails were on hand when they stepped through the doors into reception as well as warm scented hand towels to freshen up after the long drive. Every room had an arrangement of fresh flowers as well as a basket with fresh fruit, a selection of chocolate and a bottle of bubbly. The normal buffet was available in the main dining room, and the two speciality restaurants were also open for those who preferred to dine a la carte. To Andrew's surprise most of the invited guests chose to join the paying guests in the buffet restaurant.

In the lounge and main bar, a pianist has been engaged for the weekend and he kept the guests entertained with a selection of pieces as well as any requests.

As the majority of the guests had driven down, and especially those from Johannesburg who had an over a four hour drive, most were in bed fairly early as were the Devlin-Majors and their travelling party.

Breakfast was at leisure on the next morning, served until 10.30am. Guests were encouraged to relax for the remainder of the day, doing whatever caught their fancy. Their was horseriding, kayaking on the river, walking trails, quad bikes trails, the two swimming pools, the spa, lawn bowls, tennis courts and the nine hole golf course. The invited guests were free to have refreshments in any of the food outlets, although they were required to pay for any hard liquor. Soft drinks, water, beer and wine were included in their package.

Larry had arranged for three golf carts to be available at the main building in addition to the one that was permanently allocated for his use to move around the resort. They were there for the head office party to make use of and as two carts were four seaters, Janice joined them as they toured the entire resort, Andrew and Ryan each driving a cart. even driving on the golf course, much to the childrens enjoyment, when they went looking for David who was playing a round, as there were tiny reed buck grazing on the golfcourse. They also spotted some kudu, springbok, and some baboons. They had burgers for lunch at the clubhouse overlooking the lake and then sat on the terrace waiting for David to finish his round. Then they trundled back to the main resort for a swim and a siesta in the heat of the afternoon in preparation for the evenings festivities.

According to the programme that Larry had issued to everyone on arrival, the evening would kick off 6.30pm with cocktails on the main building terrace adjacent to the buffet restaurant. Dinner for the invited guests would be served from 7.30pm although the restaurant was open for the paying guests from 6.30 and it was made clear that they were welcome to join in the official opening festivities.

Everything went according to plan and the guests filtered into the buffet restaurant at the appointed time. The tables were all arranged around a space in the centre and a four piece band, including the piano player was set up at one end.
Once it seemed everyone had something in front of them, Larry moved to a podium at one end of the room as waiters moved around offering champagne, alcoholic and non - alcoholic .

"Good evening everyone. You all know who I am so I won't take up much of your time. As General Manager of the resort, I would like to thank you all for taking the time to be here for this auspicious occasion and sincerely hope that you are enjoying yourselves. Without further ado, I want to introduce two men whom most of you already know, but for those of you who don't, they are the new owners of this stunning property and the architects of its rebirth. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my absolute pleasure to give you Andrew and Ryan Devlin-Major!"

The boys both stood and moved to the podium as applause resounded in the room. They both shook Larry's hand, then Ryan took his place at the microphone.

"I want to add our welcome to that of Larry's as well. Almost seven months ago, when we first saw the resort, I must admit I was a bit sceptical that we could do anything to save it. But, we have a secret weapon!", he said turning and grinning at Andrew who looked at him with raised eyebrows. "A weapon in the form of Andrew Devlin-Major, who can see things in run down properties that most people wouldn't. He is the one with the vision and so it is fitting that he be the one to take this final step. Andrew Devlin-Major, ladies and gentlemen".
More applause followed as Andrew took Ryan's place.

"Thank you all for your presence here this weekend. Ryan is correct when he says I can see what lies underneath run down properties. The first question I ask, however, is 'How solid are the bones?'. Only then will I consider a project to be feasible or not. I can say, so far we have been extremely fortunate. Our first lodge, Blue Bay, was also an old dowager showing her skirts, just like this resort did. Our second property, The Cameron, as many of you know was an old apartment building destined for demolition. But thanks to great bones, today they are thriving. Drakensberg Resort also has good, strong bones. Just requiring a few supplements. Devlin-Major has given her those supplements and my hope is that it will also thrive. And we will do our utmost to ensure that happens, alongside Larry and his dedicated staff. And so, it is my pleasure to proclaim Drakensberg Resort officially reopened. And as I have said with the other properties, may God bless all who work and stay here. To Drakensberg Resort", he said, raising his champagne glass.

Andrew accepted the standing ovation with a smile while the band played 'For he's a jolly good fellow' , as took his seat back at the table. The band began their set immediately after as everyone continued with their meal and several guests joined Andrew and Ryan when they took to the dance floor.

Later in the evening, David and Janice took the children back to the bedrooms as they were starting to fall asleep. As the hosts for the evening, the boys couldn't get away so it was left to the grandparentals to get their grandchildren to bed. Fortunately, the mountain air, hot weather and a very full day had everyone heading to their own beds at not too late an hour, and the celebration wound down just before midnight.

On Sunday morning, most of the guests began arriving for breakfast from 9am. The restaurant had been returned to its normal layout, and extra tables had been set up on the terrace, protected by large parasols. A long table had been prepared for the whole head office group and it was here that Michael Gibson approached them, smiling and with outstretched hand.

"Andrew, Ryan. Good morning and congratulations on another job well done", he said as he greeted them
They both stood up and greeted him as well.

"Morning Michael", Andrew continued. "Thank you. I trust you enjoyed our hospitality this weekend?"

"Most definitely, thank you. I don't know how you guys do it. Yet another very successful makeover. I'm very impressed. We had a representative here in December for the usual survey and I can tell you the results were not great. But judging on what I have seen this weekend, the difference is remarkable. Not only from a comfort and aesthetic point of view, but also the service levels", he replied.

"Thank you", Ryan replied. "Although we have not had much input into the service. That is all Larry and his manage-ment teams doing. All we did was re-instil in them the sense of pride that they had lost. It's amazing what a lick of paint, some new decor and the knowledge that your job is secure can do".
Andrew nodded and added,

"As you are aware, we pay particular attention to our staff. Happy staff make happy guests. This place is not only their place of employment, it is also their home. Every single member of staff actually live on the property. And all that was under threat of being lost. Now that threat is no longer there so they can concentrate on doing their jobs well".

"Well I can assure you both, whatever you have done has worked miracles. I can tell you, I will have someone down here to re-assess the resort as soon as it can be arranged"

"We would appreciate that", Andrew replied and grinned. "And we promise not to tell Larry that you will be sending a critic to do an evaluation". He grinned back at them.

"Good man. I knew I could rely on you. Well I'll leave you to your breakfast and go have mine. I assume that fancy machine sitting on the grass is yours".

"Yeah, it will take us back to Pietermaritzburg and then by plane to Cape Town", Ryan explained.

"Nice way to travel" he said. "We mere mortals have to drive. Well, have a good trip back. I'll be in touch. One way or another".

"Thanks Michael and safe travels for you too".

Two very happy owners finally sat down for their breakfast.
By midday, the resort was practically deserted, most of the weekend guests having already departed. Housekeeping trolleys loaded with used linen trundled between the rooms and the laundry, returning with fresh linens in preparation for the new arrivals later in the day. Their luggage had already been collected and taken to the helicopter to be loaded and all that remained was for them to say their final farewells.

A large contingent of staff members stood gathered at the perimeter rope that had been erected around the huge blue and white chopper, pointing at it and discussing it. Larry and two of his management team drove them to the helicopter on the golf carts and and as soon as they appeared, the women began ululating, singing and dancing. Andrew and Ryan were the last to board and turned to wave from the doorway. The ululating rose in volume as the crowd waved back and was abruptly cut off as the door was secured behind them . They took their seats and strapped in after checking the children just as the engines whined above them and the massive rotor blades began turning, eventually settling into a steady, muted beat. The sound changed as the pilot applied power, the helicopter wobbled slightly left and right and then rose majestically into the air, flattening the grass and whipping the branches of the trees with its downdraft, the hotel staff on the ground waving excitedly, their broad smiles clearly visible. The nose dipped slightly and they powered forward, gaining height and heading down the valley towards Pietermaritzburg.
The short flight was smooth and they landed right next to the jet that would fly them back home. Darren was like a kid in a candy shop as they transferred directly from the helicopter to the plane.

"This is what it must feel like when celebrities travel", he commented as they walked the short distance between the two aircraft, grinning broadly. The got themselves settled as the co-pilot supervised the transfer and loading of the luggage and the pilot ran through the safety briefing with them. While the jet was by far not as luxurious as the Kinley Bombardier 7500, it was able to seat them all, and was far more comfortable than the usual regional jet that it was based on. Less than fifteen minutes after the helicopter touched down, they were blasting off the runway again heading south west for Cape Town. The two and a half hour flight was smooth all the way and they were in the house by 4pm.

There was a flurry of activity after arriving home, unpacking, taking clothing that had been worn downstairs to the laundry for Yvonne to do in the morning, and at the same time, getting clothing and uniforms ready for Monday morning. Ryan ordered Chinese takeout for dinner and after a very full weekend, the children, and Rascal, were all in bed early.

Andrew and Ryan sat on the couch in the almost dark lounge, only the lightfrom the stairs providing some illumination, sipping mugs of coffee while gazing at the lights of the city twinkling across the bay, just enjoying the others quiet company. Andrew laid his head against Ryan's shoulder and finally broke the comfortable silence.

"My love, thank you for all your support. I had so much of the limelight this weekend, but without you, I wouldn't be able to do what I do. I love you!"
Ryan turned and softly kissed his husbands forehead.

"I love you too, babe. More and more each day. And thank you too. Drakensberg was very much your baby, as was Blue Bay and The Cameron. And just look how successful they have been, as Drakensberg will be. My turn will come with 'Lady Janice'." He grinned as the looked at Andrew. "Then it will be my turn to be in the spotlight. But no matter who does what, we are in this together. And that makes me very grateful and immensely happy. I can only hope that 'Lady Janice' will be as successful as 'Belle Catherine' and the lodges are".
Andrew snuggled against his husband, getting more comfortable.

"Hmmmm, I'm positive she will be. She will not be anything like 'Amira'. I think that was one of the problems, if I can call it that, with 'Amira'. She was gorgeous, and sexy, and luxurious. But maybe for us, just a tad too luxurious. Too pretentious! She wasn't 'us'. Sure, 'Lady Janice' will be luxurious, but certainly not on that scale. But she'll be homely at the same time. Have you given any further thought to the idea we had when looking for suitable anchorages for 'Amira'?"

"You mean about developing a small marina for larger yachts?", Ryan replied. He felt Andrew nod against his shoulder. "Yeah, we still have that small problem for Rodrigues. I personally still think the concept has merit. It's just going to take some time, and money".

"I agree", Andrew said, sitting up. "It also means someone spending time in the region. And that person must be you, even if I absolutely hate the idea of not having you here in Cape Town. You must head up that project, if we decide to go ahead with it. But even before that, there is all the preliminary groundwork to be done. Finding a suitable site, getting official permission, organising all the logistics of a major construction project on a relatively remote island, etc".

"You make it sound quite daunting. But one thing I have learned being with you and working with you, anything is possible. Just takes tenacity, hard work and large portion of chutzpah"
Andrew grinned and pecked Ryan on the lips.

"Good, looks like I did manage to teach you something. Enough serious talk for now. The weekend is catching up on me as well. Bedtime! And just maybe you can teach me something as well", he said, raisinghis eyebrows.

Ryan leapt off the couch, pulled Andrew up against his body and lowered his lips to his husbands. They kissed deeply as Ryan shuffled them towards the staircase where he picked a giggling Andrew up into his arms and carried him up to the main bedroom. Andrew flicked off the staircase light switch as they passed it, and closed the bedroom door softly behind them.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 21
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So glad to see how well the new resort was received and looking forward to seeing the Lady Janice arrive. Then there is the prospect of building a marina, that should be quite interesting!!!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another amazing chapter!  For all their wealth, the Devlin-Majors are certainly people oriented - taking great care of their employees.  They are correct in their view that when employees feel a sense of ownership, they do their best to keep the standards high!  Now on to more adventures!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another impressive display of your literary prowess @Andre Delport.

I agree with @pvtguy; it is very admirable Andrew and Ryan regard their employees as their various businesses’ greatest assets and treat them accordingly. Too often people of immense wealth are anything but fair, generous and kind to their employees.

I particularly enjoyed the reappearance of the delightful dachshund, Rascal; and, delighted at the thought of reedbuck, kuku, springbok and baboons sharing the golf course (although I would likely be wary of the latter as I have read they can become quite aggressive). 

I too look forward to further adventure in the lives of the Devlin-Major extended family.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
Link to comment

In my humble opinion , every new chapter by Andre is like a ship arriving at port. You never know who is on board and what they are bringing with them. But it is always a learning experience.

This latest chapter is all that and more as we see the expansion of the Devlin-Major group (not just the ships -with the arrival of Lady Janice - and properties, but the people as well ... and Rascal).

A new marina for larger yachts / ships, including Lady Janice, opens another door to invite people in to experience Devlin-Major first hand.

Thank You.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 1
Link to comment

They again starting a new project a marina for bigger yachts and sailing ships 🛳️. The Devlin-Major business expanding

rapidly.  First “Lady Janice”baptized 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..