Jump to content
    Andre Delport
  • Author
  • 9,155 Words
  • 21,535 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 10. Chapter 10


It was with mixed feelings of relief that they were safe and going home, and no small amount of sadness that they disembarked from 'Amira' at midday the next day. The experience of weathering the cyclone had really bonded the crew of 'Amira' to the Devlin-Major 'family'. It was an extraordinary situation that Michael and his crew had handled with extraordinary professionalism and aplomb. Andrew and Ryan had sought out each of them prior to their departure off the yacht to personally pass on their gratitude which included a substantial gratuity. They were aware that the other members of the travelling party had also expressed their gratitude.

The drive across the island from Port Louis in the north west to the airport on the south east coast was a fairly slow one and was precisely why they had departed from the yacht earlier than would normally have been the case.

Due to the cyclone, dozens of trees and telephone poles had been uprooted, many of them falling across roads. Teams were out clearing up the mess, but it would still take at least another day or two to remove all the debris. They were compelled to either stop and wait for a fallen tree or pole to be moved or cut up before they could pro-ceed, or they were detoured around some of the obstacles. But they eventually arrived at the airport, it too still bearing the scars of the damage wrought by the cyclone.

The two flights, one on Air Mauritius to Cape Town, the other on SAA to Johannesburg, departed within an hour of one another. First the Air Mauritius flight carrying the majority of the group and then the Johannesburg service with Craig and Donna.

The airport was super busy as the airlines were still catching up with passengers who had been trapped on the island as a result of their flights being cancelled due to the storm. Then there were other tourists departing earlier, mainly due to their hotels having been damaged. To make things even more chaotic, parts of the terminal were closed due to damage, so the entire space was just that bit smaller.

Rightly suspecting that the air side would be very overcrowded, the group chose not to proceed through security until the Cape Town flight was called for boarding, whereupon they all went to the gate. With a final farewell to Craig and Donna, the Cape Town group headed down the jet way to the wide body Airbus A330 and took their seats in the business class cabin. They were among the last passengers to board and they had just got themselves settled and received their welcome drink when the doors were closed and aircraft was pushed back from the terminal.

They took off in an easterly direction over Blue Bay where they had originally boarded 'Amira' and Andrew, who was in the window seat was sad to see some of the damage the storm had left in its wake. It was very evident as they flew past the La Peninsula Beach Resort where the tender had collected them on arrival and take them out to 'Amira'.
All the palm trees on the beachfront were just trunks, their foliage have been stripped off by the wind. Fencing had been flattened, the swimming pool was filthy and there were large pools of water between the buildings, evidence that the resort had been swamped by the storm surge. Masses of debris floated in the lagoon where boats were busy with the clean up, but the sights left Andrew saddened that the beautiful island that held such a special place in their hearts, had suffered the damage they had witnessed.

When the seat belt lights were extinguished, he and Ryan left their seats and checked on the rest of the party, particularly the children. As on the outbound flight, they were seated with two of the adult couples ahead and behind them. Once again, Cameron and Rascal were seated with Jonathan on one side of the aircraft, while Elizabeth and Mikey were on the other. Dinner was served soon after reaching cruise altitude, Andrew and Ryan sharing a bottle of wine and chatting. After dinner they reclined their seats and relaxed, feeling the stresses of the last few days draining away. Andrew grinned when he heard a soft snort beside him and realised that Ryan was asleep. He dozed as well and came awake when he felt a hand take his and hold it. Ryan didn't say anything, just sat there with his eyes closed and a slight smile. Andrew got the feeling his husband had something on his mind and was thinking it through, so he said nothing as well and enjoyed the feeling of Ryan's warm hand holding his.

The flight was uneventful and they landed in Cape Town at 6.30pm in the midst of a howling southeaster that made the approach for landing quite turbulent. The driver from The Cameron was waiting for them when they stepped out into the arrivals concourse and after greeting them all, led them out to the waiting guest transport parked close to the doors. There were a several reporters with cameramen in Arrivals as well and Andrew wondered who the celebrity was that they were expecting. He was shocked when they all rushed towards their travelling party, startling the children who huddled around their parents.

"Mr Devlin-Major, Andrew, a moment of your time please", one of them shouted. The group stopped and half a dozen microphones were shoved at them and the same number of cameras were pointed at them.

"Mr Devlin-Major, your flight is the first to arrive from Mauritius after the cyclone. Could you tell us more about your experiences on the island?"

"Firstly, may I ask how you knew we were on this flight?", Andrew enquired, more than a little miffed.

"Actually, we didn't. We were just pleased to see a familiar face. We were going to just grab interviews from anyone coming off the flight. And you are more newsworthy than most. You are quite well known around Cape Town. Both you and your husband, Ryan".

"I see. Okay! Well we were not actually on the island until just before the cyclone hit. We were on our yacht 'Amira' berthed in Port Mathurin on Rodrigues Island when we found out about the cyclone. Our captain had been keep-ing a watch on it and as soon as it started moving towards us he informed us. We made the decision to sail to Mauritius ahead of the cyclone to be in a better position for return home, We didn't want to be stuck on a remote island and felt Mauritius was the better option. We sailed overnight to Port Louis and were safely docked when the cyclone made landfall"

A second reporter looked at Ryan and asked, "Can you tell us what is was like during the cyclone and what you witnessed?"

"The voyage from Rodrigues to Mauritius was very rough, and the cyclone hit just after dark, so all we could see was by the lights of the harbour. The wind was very loud, but we were fairly sheltered where we were berthed, and the rain was pelting down. An absolute deluge. We did see a warehouse collapse not far from us, trees were stripped bare and many were uprooted. We didn't actually see any flooding although the results could be seen when we took off from Mauritius. The lagoon is a mess with lots of floating debris and we saw a few drowned livestock as well in the lagoon. Our hearts go out to the people of Mauritius and wish them a speedy recovery".

The reporters thanked them, dispersing to find further 'victims' to badger and the Devlin-Major party hurried to their vehicle , loaded the luggage and drove away. The following evening during the local news on TV, they were highly amused to see their faces on TV and the children all thought it was 'way cool' as Jonathan put it.

Paul and Marie stayed another week during which they took their boys to all the usual tourist destinations that they had not yet seen, while Andrew and Ryan spent the Tuesday and Thursday in the office and visiting the two lodges. 'Belle Catherine' was away on a 4-day charter. Claude, naturally, wanted to hear all the details of the cyclone.

On the Friday before they were due to return to Calgary, the boys took them on a day trip to the Victoria Spa and Baths at the Caledon Casino Hotel & Spa. The twins had still been babies when they had been there so it was an exciting new experience for them too.

On the Sunday morning after their return from Mauritius, Andrew answered a call from Claude.

"Bonsoir Claude, mes amis. Ca va?", Andrew greeted him in French.(Good morning Claude, my friend.
How are you?")
Claude chuckled.

"Bonsoir Andrew. I am very well, and you?

"All good thank you. To what do I owe the pleasure of a call on a Sunday morning?"

"Have you seen the Sunday Times this morning?", Claude asked.

"No not yet. Why?"

"You're in the news again. In the travel section, there is a transcript of your TV interview as well as comments from others returning after the cyclone, and some photographs of the damage. There is also a very good article on ''Amira' and 'Belle Catherine' with photographs and comments from guests, and mention of Blue Bay, The Cameron and the other lodges upcountry".

"Oh, is that so! Very interesting. We'll have to go and get a copy. Thank you for letting me know."

"It's only a pleasure. Will we see you this week?"

"Yes, most definitely, Claude. Our guests go home tomorrow evening. So from Wednesday it's back to normal. Tomorrow we have to get Cameron and Elizabeth their uniforms for school. Any idea when the Kinleys arrive?"

"If I remember correctly, it's the second week of February. They're staying for a week. But I'll confirm that with you when I see you".

"Okay, great. I'm looking forward to seeing them again. Thank you".

The Masons flew out on the Monday after, this time flying via Amsterdam and as expected, there were tears. Although they were very happy in Calgary, they still missed the rest of the 'family', and on Tuesday the four Devlin-Majors went shopping for school kit. Cameron and Elizabeth were very excited. Andrew not so much. He quite honestly dreaded the thought of letting his adored babies go to school. He felt like a part of him was being torn away. Ryan seemed to be approaching the tumultuous event in their childrens development with his usual pragmatism, although he hadn't said much. Andrew resolved to enjoy the experience for their sakes and just suck it up.

He was horrified at the amount of 'stuff' that had to be purchased. The school had provided a recommended list of what was needed which, on paper, did not look too bad. However, when he saw the reality, he was seriously concerned that the twins cupboard space would be insufficient..

Ryan took the twins to get some ice cream, and while Andrew was waiting for the sales assistant to ring up their purchases he overheard a lady telling her son, who were waiting for the sales assistant to attend to them and was also getting kitted out, that they could only get two of everything instead of the recommended three and that some of the optional items, especially for winter would have to wait until she had some more money. Andrew's heart broke at the look of disappointment on the little boys face and the unshed moisture in his eyes. Before paying the bill, he spoke to the assistant.

"Could you do a triple charge for me please. And when that lady and her son are attended to, you can tell
them that the full list has been paid for. She must get everything she needs for him. Here is my card. If t
here are any additional charges, please contact me and I will transfer the balance to you immediately. An
d please don't tell her who I am!"

"Yes certainly Mr Devlin-Major. And thank you".

The charge was done, their purchases placed into large bags, three per child, and they left the store to visit 'Belle Catherine' and do some replenishment of the pantry, refrigerator and deep freezer for home.

When they arrived at the house, Yvonne came downstairs with Rascal hot on her heels, to assist with all the parcels, the twins excitedly telling all about their new school clothes as Cameron scooped Rascal into his arms to get lick kisses and be flagellated by his tail.

Ryan took the clothing upstairs to the twins bedrooms and came back a short while later with the receipt and a puzzled expression.

"Drew, babe. Did you check the receipt for the clothing? They've charged you for three sets of clothing instead of two".

"Yeah, I know my love. I didn't want to say anything in front of Cam and Elizabeth", and he told Ryan what he had done. When he finished, Ryan was speechless for a few seconds and then wrapped Andrew in his arms.

"Now I know I love you so much. Why everyone loves you so much. You are just the most amazing human being I have ever met". He stopped and looked thoughtful for a moment and the said, "Maybe Sister Katerina, the nun at Athens Airport! No I think she runs a close second. But wow, what an amazing thing to do. I would have loved to be there to see her face when she was told", shaking his head and gazing lovingly at him before lowering his mouth to his husbands.

"Um, hello! Don't you two ever stop kissing", Cameron asked. They both shook with laughter, lips still joined. They broke part and looked down at their son, still holding the squirming puppy in his arms. Cameron put him down on the floor and Rascal scampered to his human dads running around and between their legs. Ryan grinned and replied,

"No Cam, we don't. It shows us how much we love one another. It's why we kiss you and Elizabeth so much as well. Because we love you".
Their son looked thoughtful as he considered his dads reply.

"Okay, but you don't kiss us like you kiss daddy. That tongue thing!"

Ryan stared at Andrew with WTF expression and Andrew couldn't help giggling.

"Go on stud. He's your son. You started this", Andrew said grinning.

Ryan gave him an 'I'll get you for this' look and crouched down in front to Cameron who had been joined by Elizabeth. Yvonne also stood in the doorway listening with a smile on her face.

"Okay, how do I explain this. When two people love one another the way your daddy and I love one another, they kiss using the tongue as well. If we want to! It doesn't always have to be with tongue.
When we kiss you and Elizabeth, even though we love you just as much, it's a different kind of love. But no matter how you kiss someone, it is a sign that you love and respect them. When you're a bit older, WE'LL (glaring at Andrew) explain it a bit more, okay"
Blue eyes looked into blue eyes and Cameron nodded. "Okay dad! I'm hungry. When are we having lunch?", and just like that he was off on another subject - his stomach. It never ceased It to amaze Andrew that his son was not a tub of lard with the amount of food he put away. In that respect he was definitely Ryan's child. They both had unbelievable metabolism.
Ryan stood up and put his arms back around Andrew.

"I am so not ready for this. And now with them going to school, the questions are going to start coming thick and fast", Ryan said softly.
Andrew cupped his husbands face in his hands.

"You did just fine. I'm impressed" and kissed him lightly on the lips. "We better get some food into our son before the collapses".

For the remainder of the week, they divided their time between the company and their children. Mornings we spent in the office and they were home by 2.00pm at the latest. There were two days that they even managed to be home to have lunch together.

The weekend weather was absolutely perfect, so on Sunday they took 'Belle Catherine' out for the day, dropping anchor off Clifton 4th Beach. On board with them, once again, was their two General Managers and their partners, Helen, their PA, and her husband Noel, David and Janice, the twins and Rascal. Darren and Kerry had a few days off and had flown to Durban to see their parents.

They set sail quite early, just after dawn, the wind just sufficient for Ryan to raise the mainsail and spinnaker and get them sailing slowly around Green Point, past Sea Point and Camps Bay to Clifton.
Andrew had tea and coffee ready, with buttermilk rusks and blueberry muffins for everyone to snack on until breakfast

Ryan dropped the anchor making sure that they were secure, and he, Andrew and Janice set about preparing breakfast. Two icy cold fruit juices with sparkling wine, Andrew's go-to muesli, tropical fruit salad and yogurt to start, full English, and croissants and Danish pastries to go with tea and coffee.

Lunch was a BBQ on the transom, with salads and more fruit salad with ice cream for dessert.

The bay was too small to use the water tube, but the inflatable paddleboards were a hit and a laugh minute, for those who were daring enough to brave the frigid water. The boys were particularly amazed at their PA, whom they had thought was quite staid. She hauled out a wetsuit that she changed into, and proceed to have a ball in the water. She even took out one of the water scooters. It was refreshing to see her being more relaxed. In the office, she was a model of efficiency and decorum.. They sailed back to the marina in the late afternoon, tying up at the dock under pinkish skies. They both felt it had been a day well spent with their team. He enjoyed hearing them chatting and although the day was meant to by a 'no business' day, at one stage he And Ryan heard Richard ask Claude whether he had anyone in Blue Bays housekeeping department who could be trained up to take over as Assistant Housekeeper at The Cameron. The young lady they had been training had decided that it wasn't for her and had resigned. He wanted to check with Claude first before he advertised the position. Claude told him that the presently did not have anyone suitable, but that he would keep it in mind.

On Monday, Yvonne washed all the twins new school clothes and ironed them and on Tuesday morning, Andrew's dreaded day finally arrived. He woke up early, showered and dressed, and went down to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for the twins and their lunch boxes. Breakfast was just fresh orange juice, simple cornflakes with sliced banana, milk and sugar, and toast. He and Ryan would grab something at The Cameron after they had taken the twins to school.

The lunchboxes each contained a cheese and ham sandwich, a fruit yogurt, a small fruit juice, an apple and a small packet of raisins. Packed in their backpacks was a small, good thermos flask with cold water.

Andrew was the first to admit he was an absolute wreck. Many tears rolled over his cheeks as he prepared the sandwiches.
When he heard Yvonne's key in the door, he tried to pull himself together, but when she took one look at him and put her arms around him, he lost it

"They're my babies, Yvonne. How am I going to do this? I know it has to be done. I just don't know if I can", he sniffed with his face buried in the shoulder.

"You are not the first and you will not be the last. I think anyone who has children go through this. I know I did. So I can truly say I know how you feel. But they are growing up and going to school is our first step to one day letting them go completely. You and I both know that it is something that has to happen.
It is part, a very big part, of their development to eventually be responsible adults. Now, you must be strong for them. You cannot let them see you like this. It will just upset them as well. While they may be excited, there is no small amount of fear as well. To go to big school. Please don't make it harder for them"

Andrew nodded and went into the laundry to splash cold water on his face and lessen the redness in his eyes. When he returned to the kitchen his resolve almost flew out the window. The twins stood beside one another so that Yvonne could admire their new uniforms. They were eager and happy, their faces shining, but to Andrew they still look so small.
He bustled around sitting them on the tall chairs at the breakfast bar, and set their food down in front of them.

Ryan came down, saw Andrew's face and cocked his head to indicate that Andrew must come into the lounge. Yvonne noticed the summons and engaged the twins, chatting with them about big school.

"How are you doing, babe?", Ryan asked him quietly.him Andrew shook his head.

"Not good Ry. I'm a hot mess. Only just holding it together. I even considered not going to the school. But I have to. I have to be there for them, as hard as it's going to be"
Ryan nodded.

"Okay, we'll just have to go with the flow. It will be fine".

The twins finished their breakfast, so Andrew sent them upstairs to brush their teeth again and to fetch their backpacks. They came down the stairs looking as though they had been doing the school thing fpr years. Andrew smiled at them, then put their lunch boxes into the bags and secured them. Ryan had gone downstairs to pull his SUV out of the garage.

"Okay, all ready. Let's go. Say goodbye to Yvonne and Rascal", Andrew said in a far brighter tone than he actually felt.

The twins hugged Yvonne, who teared up and turned away as they bent down to scratch Rascal's ears. The little puppy knew something was happening and looked like Andrew felt - sad and forlorn. Ryan hit his horn and they hurried down and got into the car. Andrew got in on the passenger side, checked that the twins were strapped in, He strapped himself in and Ryan drove away.

The school was only a few blocks from the house, so the trip did not take long, although they were obliged to park a fair distance away due to other moms and dads dropping off their offspring.

Gazebos had been set up on the grass in front of the school and as they entered the gate, the headmistress greeted them, asked their names, checked her list and allocated them to a class. Each gazebo had a sign indi-cating the class and there were chairs under the gazebo. A class teacher was also present. Cameron was in Class 1-1, while Elizabeth was in Class1-2. This arrangement both saddened and pleased Andrew.
Saddened because they had been together all their short lives and were now being separated, and pleased that it might actually do them the world of good. It was a very strange juxtaposition of feelings. They took them to their respective classes where they introduced themselves as they had been taught at nurseryschool. The teachers welcomed them and took them to the chairs to sit down and then explained to Andrew and Ryan that they would wait until the entire class has arrived before proceeding to the classroom. She also requested that they not wait around, obviously cognisant of the emotional stress that both parents and the new pupils were under. They went to say goodbye to the twins, both with huge lumps in their throats.

"We'll see you later ", Andrew told them. "Dad and I will be here to fetch you at 12 o 'clock. . Be good and listen to your teacher". They turned and walked away, only looking back when they got to the gate. Both teachers were sitting with the children already there and chatting to them. They decided to wait until they went to their class-rooms and found a spot at the fence to watch.

Andrew started when a hand touched his shoulder. "Excuse me, Mr Devlin-Major", said a familiar sounding woman's voice. Andrew turned and immediately recognised the woman from the clothing store. His heart sank but his innate sense of decency took over.

"Yes, ma'am that's us".
She studied both of them then looked at Andrew.

"I want to thank you for your very generous gesture yesterday. And don't insult me by denying it. I know it was you. I recognised you from your pictures in the Sunday Times. You were the only one in the store who could have paid for my little boys school clothes."

"It was me, and it was a pleasure. I know how important it is. Especially when you're going to big school. Our two made me realise that. I happened to overhear you tell him you couldn't afford everything, and I saw the stricken look on his face. And I was just compelled to do it. I'm pleased it was of some help"

"Some help! You have no idea just what effect it had. Firstly, my baby was happy. Which made me happy for the first time in months. Secondly, it meant that I would actually have enough money to feed us for the month until I get my next unemployment payout. Spending that money meant that we were going to literally live on bread, jam and water for the month".

Andrew studied the woman closely. She was neatly dressed, the dress she wore freshly laundered, but well worn. Her face was free of cosmetics and her hair was clean and pulled back into a bun on the top of her head. She wore expensive looking navy blue pumps that, although perfectly wearable, were also well worn. She had very obviously had some means but had somehow fallen on hard times.
One again, Andrew's compassionate nature came to the fore.

"I'm sorry. I don't know your name"

"My apologies. I've been rude not introducing myself". She held out her hand. "Margaret. Marge. Roffe. My son's name is Byron"

"Pleased to meet you Marge. I'm Andrew and this is my husband Ryan. Although you probably know that if you saw our photographs". He smiled at her.

She grinned back at him, showing perfect white teeth. "Yes I do. But not only from the Sunday paper".
She glanced over his shoulder and said, "Oh my, there they go".

They turned to see the classes being lined up in straight lines and being led to the waiting classrooms. They watched until they disappeared indoors. Andrew was surprised at how lost he felt. Then he remembered Marge and turned back to her.

"Sorry, you were saying something".

"Yes, I was saying I knew about the Devlin-Majors long before Sunday. I learned about you and your company about five years ago in the LodgeInn magazine when you won all those awards. I was working in hospitality at that stage as well".

"Oh, so how long have you been unemployed"

"Almost five months now. I still can't quite believe it. I believe I did my job well, I trained my staff and things were going well. Then the wheels came off. First, I discovered my husband was having an affair, That was four years ago. When I confronted him, he admitted it, said he loved her more than me and walked out, leaving me with Byron. She was younger and didn't want to be saddled with a two year old child.
We got divorced and he paid child maintenance for two years and then nothing. I found out they had emigrated to New Zealand. But my job was paying me reasonably well, so we coped. There were no luxuries, but we had a roof over out heads, clothes to wear and food to eat. Then in the middle of last year, I took my annual leave, and on my return was advised that the hotel was experiencing financial difficulties, that they were restructuring the departments and that my position was being made redundant". Tears welled up in her eyes. "And so at the end of October I was jobless. They appointed my assistant to do my job, without the title, at half the salary. I did get a reasonable compensation payout, better than the norm I will admit, but the monthly expenses don't change much. You can be more frugal sure. But home rental, water, power - well it doesn't go far. I could barely afford to buy him a Christmas gift. I worked out that, including my unemployment payout, if I was really careful, I would have enough for six months, which I felt was more than enough time to find another job. Here I am five months later and nothing! I cannot tell you how many interviews I've gone to and in most cases, never heard a word again. So yes, what you did yesterday was huge. So thank you. From the bottom of my heart".
A sudden thought jogged Andrew's mind.

"Marge, you said you worked in a hotel. What position did you hold?"

"Housekeeping Manager".

Andrew stared at her and then looked at Ryan who knew exactly what was going through Andrew's mind and he nodded. Andrew took out his mobile and placed the call.

"Morning Andrew. How's the school delivery going?", Richard enquired.

"It was a bit rough this morning, but I'm okay now, although we are still at the school".

"When will you be in the office. I need to have a chat about the housekeeping vacancy. Helen pencilled me into your diary for 9.30".

"Richard, my young friend, I may just be able to help you with that. I have someone with me right now who might be a suitable candidate. I would like you to interview her and make a decision. I want to stress, and I want her to hear it as well, you will make the ultimate decision. I am not going to usurp your authority, Are you available today?"

"Yes I am. Particularly if I don't have to meet with you. I can see her during the time I was going to see you"

"Good, we're on our way to the office now"

He ended the call and looked at the stunned face in front of him, silent tears running down her face.

"You have an interview with our General Manager at The Cameron at 9.30. Don't disappoint me. I'm not going to be involved any more than I have been. As you heard, the decision is his. But, he also knows I won't refer some-one who I do not think will be compatible with our way of working. So you need to sell yourself to him the way you did to me. That's all and the job will be yours. I cannot guarantee the salary will be what you were getting. And I'm not about to ask. I have no idea what salary scale Richard is considering. But whatever it is will be better than where you are now. Will you be able to make it by 9.30?"

"Thank you, thank you. Yes, most definitely. I'll be there". She briefly shook his hand and Ryan's, and hurried away, getting into a neat, grey, older model Toyota sedan and driving away.
Ryan shook his head and grinned at Andrew.

"Andrew Devlin-Major strikes again!. I just don't know how you do it"

"Just one of my superhero traits, my love. I must remember to thank her. She took my mind off the twins. Let's get to the office. I need breakfast! "

At The Cameron they checked in with Helen, who had nothing urgent for them to attend to and then went to the restaurant for a quick breakfast. The room was surprisingly busy for that time of the morning and the only table that Douglas, the Maitrè d, could give them was right up against the buffet walkway. They just had fruit juice, fresh fruit salad, Ryan had toast with some cold meats and cheese, while Andrew stuck to his go-to croissant with cream cheese and strawberry preserve, tea and coffee.

The table they were seated at gave Andrew a perfect view into the lobby and he glanced up just as a woman stepped into the lobby from the turret vestibule and looked around. He gasped as he recognised her.
It was Marge, looking absolutely stunning. Gone was the drab, world weary looking woman from the store and the school, replaced by a pretty, smartly dressed professional.

She was dressed in a navy blue skirt suit, the hem of the skirt just on her knees. Under the blazer style jacket she wore a ruffled white blouse and she carried a matching navy blue shoulder bag. She had put a bit of make-up on her face and it had transformed her appearance. He watched as she turned and walked purposefully to the reception desk, spoke briefly to the receptionist and then went to take a seat on one of the couches, although he couldn't see her any longer. A few minutes later, Richard appeared and headed towards the general area Andrew had last seen her and moments later, she reappeared, walking and chatting with Richard as the headed to his office.

Ryan had turned, when Andrew had gasped, to see what had caused the reaction, and when they disappeared from sight the turned back and grinned at Andrew.

"Methinks she cleans up real good", he said in a dreadful American accent.

"Wow, you can say that again, I was not expecting that".

As usual when they were anywhere within the lodge proper, the staff who saw them always stopped to say hello and ask about the twins. That morning was busier than usual as they could be seen due to where they were sitting and the staff had to pass by as they rotated through the staff dining room off the main kitchen, so they ended up staying in the restaurant far longer than had been intended.

After about thirty minutes, the telephone at the desk rang, Douglas picked it up, and Andrew noticed him glance in their direction as he was speaking. A few minutes after he ended the call, he saw Richard and Marge walking towards the restaurant, still chatting, and they stood up as they approached the table.

"Morning Andrew, morning Ryan. My apologies for disturbing you. I just wanted to introduce you to our new Deputy Housekeeper", Richard said. Marge was beaming next to him.
Andrew extended his and and smiled.

"Welcome to Devlin-Major and The Cameron, Marge. I hope you will be very happy with us"

"Thank you Mr Devlin-Major. I'm so thrilled. It's a dream come true"
Ryan glanced around and signalled for Douglas.

"Richard, why don't you and Marge join us. Let's just find ourselves a quieter table. And a bigger one".
He turned to Douglas. "Douglas, is there a table on the terrace for all of us?"

"Yes certainly, Mr Ryan. It's a lot quieter now, please follow me."

Douglas showed them to the terrace, seated them and left them with a waiter to order tea and coffee.

"Marge, Richard, have you had breakfast?", Ryan enquired.

"I had something small before I left for the school this morning. But I would love a slice of cake with my tea", Marge replied, eyeing the cake trolley as it rolled past on its way to the guest lounge for morning teatime.

"I've had breakfast, thanks Ryan", Richard added.

Marge opted for a slice of Black Forest gateau and Ryan had a slice of cheesecake, "just so you're not eating on your own", he said to Marge. Everyone laughed at Andrew's disbelieving comment of "Yeah, right!"
Andrew looked at Richard

"So was I right or was I right". Richard grinned widely.

"You were absolutely right. Marge is perfect for The Cameron. I know the past few months have not been easy for her, but I'm so pleased everyone else was too stupid to see her potential", he told them.

"Did you introduce Marge to Lisa", Andrew asked Richard.

"No, she's day off today. It was her weekend on duty. But she'll be over the moon. It's going to take a load off her shoulders"

"Good. Marge, I realise the salary probably isn't what you were getting but hopefully we'll be able to rectify that fairly soon. I assume Richard told you about our incentive scheme?", Andrew enquired.
She nodded.

"Yes, he did. And it sounds too good to be true. He did say you were thinking of making some changes to the scheme, though".

"Yes, we are. When we first instituted the scheme at Blue Bay, the personnel who stayed on after Devlin-Major took over were all eligible immediately. Anyone joining the company had to work for a year to become eligible. When we opened The Cameron, we changed that to six months. I've subsequently given the issue some more thought and, while our I admit it's not entirely fair, from now on, management will be eligible after three months full time employment. It is, of course backdated to the day you commenced employment. With a bit of luck, the additional will make things easier, and while I realise it doesn't fully solve your immediate problem, hopefully it will in the future. And please, if you have any difficulty, speak to Richard. If he cannot assist you, he can come to Ryan or myself or he can send you directly to us.
Devlin-Major is all about our guests and our staff. And to be quite honest, my staff come first, because if they are unhappy, for whatever reason, they can ruin you in no time at all. Rudeness to guests, bad service, breakages and theft, the possibilities are endless. And guests pick up when the staff are unhappy. Very quickly. So our doors are open. You and, by extension, Byron are now part of the Devlin-Major family and we look after one another. It's the main reason the company has been successful", Andrew told her passionately.

"Thank you. I cannot express my gratitude enough. This morning, even after your generosity yesterday, I still felt so hopeless and useless. As though the world had just tossed Byron and I onto the rubbish heap. I know there are people out there who are far worse off than me. But when it is you, you often cannot see the wood for the trees. Now, suddenly, I have a well paid job, I can take care of my little boy the way he should be taken care of, and the future looks a whole lot brighter. And that is all thanks to you. I am forever in your debt".

"Just do what you do to the best of your ability, and take care of your little boy, and that debt is repaid, hundred-fold. Our two are the most precious things that happened to me since I met Ryan, so take it from me, I know how you feel. Right so when are you starting?"

"I really would like to start immediately. But I have to sort Byron out first. I have to find somewhere for him to go after school. I don't want him going home on his own. So I'd like a day or two to get that arranged". Andrew nodded.

"Fair enough. I agree wholeheartedly. Once again, welcome" Andrew stood up. "Now I need to do SOME work today, so I need to get to the office. We'll more than likely see you at the school when we collect our respective offspring. Enjoy your day".

In his office, Andrew sat down and returned a series of calls to messages that Helen had left on his desk, and then he logged into his desktop and began examine the financials for December and making notes. Helen came in to tell him it was 11.45 and not to forget they had to pick the twins up from school at midday. The first week was a midday pick up, after that it would be 1.30pm. He had been so engrossed in the financials, that he had completely lost track of the time. He logged out and hurried next door to Ryan's office. His husband was so absorbed in what was on his desktop screen, he didn't even look up when Andrew came in.

"What is so interesting that you don't realise someone has come into your office? I hope it's not porn!"
Ryan looked up.

"Sorry Drew, what did you say?"

"Ry, what on earth are you doing? You're miles away!".Andrew rounded the desk and peered over Ryan's shoulder. "Wow, very nice. That is porn. The maritime kind. It's gorgeous. You just looking or is there something I should know".
Ryan looked back over his shoulder. There was a pad with notes next to him.

"Hi my love. Just research at the moment. We'll see. What can I do for you?"

"You're worse than me. Look at the time. Our children need to be fetched from their first day".

"Oh my god, is that the time already. Shit, we have to get going!".

They hurried to the parking garage and drove to the school, arriving just as the bell rang. Seconds later, a horde of children burst into view, running towards the gates. The noise was unbelievable. Cameron and Elizabeth were in the middle of the mini charge of the light brigade and they hurtled into their dad's arms, chattering away ten to the dozen.

"Whoa", Ryan said. "We only have one pair of ears each. If you both talk at once, we cannot hear what you are saying. So one at a time please. Ladies first". He looked at Elizabeth and noticed another little boy hovering uncertainly nearby.

"Dad, this is our friend. His name is Byron. We saw you talking to his mommy when we went to class"

Ryan glanced at Andrew, who looked around, seeing no sign of Marge. Ryan put Elizabeth on her feet and crouched down in front of the little boy. It was very obvious he was who is mother was. Ryan extended his hand.

"Hello, Byron. My name is Ryan. And this is Andrew. We are Elizabeth and Cameron's dads".
He timidly put his small hand in Ryan's.

"Where's my mommy?", he asked softly.

Ryan looked around and then glanced up at Andrew, who shrugged.He looked back at Byron and smiled.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon. Well wait here with you until she comes. Okay?"

Byron nodded shyly. " Okay. Thank you. Do you know my mommy?", he asked.
Andrew knelt down as well, noting that one of the teachers was watching them.

"Yes Byron, we do"

The teacher approached and asked, "Gentlemen, is there a problem here?", fairly aggressively which immediately raised Andrew's hackles. He forced himself to be civil.

"Actually there is. His mother is not here to fetch him yet. Our two children say he is their friend, so by extension, we need to watch out for him. My husband just told him we will wait here with him until his mother arrives. Which shouldn't be too long. She is one of our employees".

"I cannot allow that I'm afraid. If there is no one here to pick him up, he has to come back onto the school grounds and wait in a classroom until someone does. You ever know who might want to just take a child". Byron's green eyes brimmed with tears.

"I want my mommy" he said plaintively.
Andrew stood up and lost it!

"Excuse me, young lady. Just who do you think you are talking to. Firstly, I would not just take a child with me without permission. Secondly, my own children are pupils in your school. So I resent your implication. And thirdly, you are upsetting him!" Andrew ruffled his sandy coloured hair. "It okay, Byron. She'll be here now".

His words were barely uttered when they heard a car screech to a stop a short distance way. Marge emerged from her vehicle and ran towards them. Byron saw her and broke away to run to her.

"I'm so sorry By. I forgot about the time!" She walked over to them holding her son's hand.

"I'm sorry. Richard was showing me through the rooms and I lost track of the time". Byron tugged at her hand to attract her attention. "What is it baby?".

"Mommy, these are my friends. Cameron and Elizabeth". The twins stood between their dads. Marge's eyes widened and she looked at Andrew and Ryan.

"Your Cameron and Elizabeth?"

They nodded and chorused, "Ours", which caused laughter all round. Andrew noticed the teacher had quietly made herself scarce.

"Oh my god. What were the chances that your children and Byron would decide to be friends?" she asked
Ryan grinned.

"Apparently, quite good. They saw us talking to you this morning, and I guess they thought if we can talk to one another, why can't they talk to one another?"

"Why do I feel that my life is suddenly being controlled by a higher power. It almost as if we were destined to meet", Marge said.

"Ryan's mom once said the same thing about me. I cannot give you a definitive answer, but I'll take any help I can get", Andrew replied, grinning.

"Talking about help", Ryan interjected, "I've thought of a way to solve Marge's other problem".

"And what would that be husband dear", Andrew asked playfully. Marge looked at him enquiringly.

"Well, if our kids are friends, and we", indicating him, Andrew and Marge, "work together, and subject to her approval, why not ask Yvonne, our housekeeper, to watch him. She's going to be looking after Cam and Elizabeth anyway. One more little boy won't make that much difference. A small adjustment to her salary, which I'm sure she would welcome. Knowing Yvonne, she would agree anyway, adjustment or not. On her day off, which is every Wednesday, the twins spend the afternoon at the office and on a Friday, we normally go straight home after lunch. And on the weekends when Marge is on duty, I have no problem with Byron coming to the house. It will be great for Cam and Elizabeth to have someone else to interact with"

"Ry that's brilliant! How do you feel about that, Marge?"
She looked uncertain.

"I don't know Andrew. You have been such a help already. I don't want to push my luck".

"One thing you still need to learn about Andrew and I is that we will not offer to do anyhing unless we really want to", Ryan told her.

She looked thoughtful and then glanced at the three children who were running around on the grass in front of the school building accompanied by shrieks and lot of laughter.

"Okay, I agree. But if Yvonne, is it, agrees I insist on paying her salary adjustment. It's only fair"

"Done! Let's go home and speak to her. I want you to come as well so that you can meet her. Cam and Elizabeth adore her", Andrew said.

They called the kids, got them into the vehicles and drove to the house. On the way, Andrew phoned Yvonne to warn her there were two extra for lunch. Fortunately, she had prepared chicken salad wraps using a store bought roast chicken and the wraps came out of the freezer. All the other ingredients were on hand in the refrigerator, so by the time they arrived, Yvonne was almost ready and she was at the door with Rascal when they stopped. She bent down as Cameron and Elizabeth bundled out of the car and ran to her, sweeping them up into her arms. Rascal was scampering around them, so very happy that his people were home again.

"There are my angels. Did you have a nice day at school?"

Of course, they both started talking at once and she had to swivel her head back and forth trying to get what they were saying. Cameron saw Byron watching them and said,

"Vonnie, this is our friend Byron. And that's his mommy, but I don't know what her name is".
She smiled as she put them down and held out her hand.

"Hello Byron, my name is Yvonne". He extended his hand and timidly shook hers. "Hello", he said softly.

Andrew introduced Marge. Ryan had picked Rascal up and was getting lick kisses from the puppy.

"Yvonne, this is Marge Roffe. As of today she works at The Cameron. She is our new Deputy Housekeeper".
The two woman shook hands and then Yvonne hustled them upstairs.

"Come in please. Lunch is ready. Cam, Elizabeth, give me your lunch boxes and water flasks and then take your bags to the playroom . Take Byron with you and you can all wash your hands before lunch".

In no time at all, she was holding the requested items and they had disappeared into the playroom. The adults heard water running and much giggling in the bathroom.

"I've set up the patio table for lunch, Mr Andrew. I've got chicken wraps. Go sit down and I'll bring them out".

"Thanks Yvonne. I'll come help you. I think I'll take out some sodas and fruit juice as well"
Ryan took Marge out onto the patio and Andrew went to the kitchen with Yvonne.

"Yvonne, I don't want you to be ambushed, so I'm just going to say this straight. You're going to be asked if you will keep an eye on Byron as well as the twins. Please, if you feel it is too much, please say so. Your place in this house won't change if you say no. It's just that Cam and Elizabeth have taken Byron under their wings and made him a friend. He hasn't had it easy since he was two. In fact life has been tough from him and his mom. Now that she's got a job with us, things will be a bit easier for them. But for Marge to work, we need to find somewhere for Byron to go after school and we felt here with the twins might be a good place. But it is your decision. There will be some extra money for you. Marge is willing to pay you for your time. So just be aware that the subject is going to come up. I didn't want you to be caught unawares. I hope you don't mind".

"Thank you Mr Andrew, I appreciate your concern. I must admit, I did wonder where he would go after school if his mum was at work. From what I have seen, I think he will be good for Cameron and Elizabeth. So yes, I will look after him. The same way I do for out two angels."

"Okay. Good. Thank you. I don't know what we would do without you".

They had been plating the wraps as they talked, and with them all done, they carried the plates out to the patio. The children were all there, talking non stop, telling Andrew and Marge all about their first day at school, but as soon as the plates were put down in front of them, they began tucking in and it was suddenly very quiet. Rascal made sure he was not forgotten.
Andrew noticed Byron didn't start eating immediately, but watched the twins for a short while and then tucked in himself.
After lunch, the twins took Byron back to the playroom, taking Rascal with them, and the adults sat back to enjoy tea and coffee.
Andrew was both surprised and pleased when Yvonne herself broached the subject.

"Marge, so with you working at The Cameron now, what is going to happen with Byron? Has he got anywhere to go after school?".
Marge took a deep breath.

"I don't have anywhere for him to go just yet. I mean, he could go home, but that would mean he might be on his own for a while, especially if I am working a 3-11 shift. Ryan suggested I approach you to find out if you would have him for the afternoon with Cameron and Elizabeth. He doesn't make friends very easily, as you've seen, he's quite shy, so I was really surprised to find him with not only one, but two new friends. But then, having met their parents, I can see Cameron and Elizabeth are definitely their dads children. There's something that just draws people to them"

"What will you do with him when you are on late shifts or working on the weekend?", Yvonne asked her
.
"Well, Andrew and Ryan have said he can stay here until I finish my shift. Fortunately, the weekends are only day shifts from what I gather. The Executive Housekeeper and I will share weekends, one on, one off. Would you be prepared to be his afternoon carer? I don't expect you to do it for nothing. If I had to put him in after school, I would have to pay anyway. So I'm prepared to pay for your services. You just need to tell me what you feel is fair?"

" I will look after him with pleasure. As to payment, I'll let you decide. It's only really three days a week anyway. I am day off on a Wednesday when Cameron and Elizabeth spend the afternoon at the office, and half day on a Friday when Mr Andrew and Mr Ryan are home at lunchtime. I come in on a Saturday if they need me, normally if they are having an event here at the house. That's the reason for my day off on Wednesday. But I must say, I think I get the better deal, because that doesn't happen all that often. So I'll leave the payment up to you".

Andrew and Ryan stood up.

"We'll leave you two ladies to chat. We need to get back to the office. Marge, will you advise Richard when exactly you would like to start", Ryan said.

They returned to the office and late in the afternoon, Richard came to see them. They were in Ryan's office, having just completed a Zoom meeting with Michael on 'Amira'. They were sailing for the Seychelles on a 10 night charter the next morning, stopping off at Tromelin Island and Agalega Island on the way.
Richard advised that he had spoken to Marge and that she would be starting at the lodge in the morning.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 30
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter had it all, truly one of your best yet, you really hit your stride here. In many ways it was an emotional roller coaster right from the beginning, when we see the devastation caused by the cyclone to the scrum of reporters.

I would have expected no less when I was reading the part about buying school clothes. Had I'd been smarter, I would have seen the foreshadowing you so cleverly snuck in there.

The scene at the school along with Andrew's anguish at letting his babies go was so spot on. I thought it was so true to life.

I have to admit, I've been anxious to see the Kinleys reappear but some how this chapter sort of pushed 'em into further into the background!  

I also loved the way you show that Cam and Elizabeth are growing up and becoming self aware and the following was just so precious and just the right touch of humor!!

"Um, hello! Don't you two ever stop kissing", Cameron asked. They both shook with laughter, lips still joined. They broke part and looked down at their son, still holding the squirming puppy in his arms. Cameron put him down on the floor and Rascal scampered to his human dads running around and between their legs. Ryan grinned and replied,

"No Cam, we don't. It shows us how much we love one another. It's why we kiss you and Elizabeth so much as well. Because we love you".
Their son looked thoughtful as he considered his dads reply.

"Okay, but you don't kiss us like you kiss daddy. That tongue thing!"

Ryan stared at Andrew with WTF expression and Andrew couldn't help giggling.

 

 

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I echo the sentiments of my fellow readers @Andre Delport who have expressed their delight at the generosity of Andrew and Ryan in assisting Marge and Byron and, an appreciation of the literary skills you have displayed with another beautifully written chapter.

I would also like to express my gratitude to you for Andrew's recognition of the livestock who lost their lives as a result of the cycle which devastated Mauritius. Much of the eastern seaboard of Australia where I live has been devastated with flooding in the past couple of weeks. Tens of thousands of livestock, chickens and horses have lost their lives, in addition to the havoc wreaked on the human population. Invariably little media attention is given to the non-human animals who lose their lives, everything being centred on the humans who have lost their lives, livelihoods and/or possessions. It may be a legacy from the devastating bushfires we suffered in 2020 when it has been estimated that 1 billion animals lost their lives that, with this latest flooding there has been more media attention given to the loss of non-human animal lives. It saddens me greatly the loss of non-human animal lives, but it does provide some degree of comfort that they are at least acknowledged as being worthy of human sorrow.

In future chapters I hope to see my favourite character, Rascal, playing a big part in the socialisation of Byron. Friendship with a non-human animal can be of such great benefit to a shy child like Byron. In combination with Cameron and Elizabeth, Byron will have very little "choice" other than to blossom.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Apologies that Chapter 11 is late folks. Been a bit under the weather this week and the final edit is not complete. Will post as soon as it is done

  • Like 5
Link to comment

"Methinks she cleans up real good", he said in a dreadful American accent."  Andre! Andre. Andre ... What you just said.  I resemble that remark.  Lol.  What do you think, that we all talk like the "Beverly Hillbillies?"  Opps, scratch that I live in the same hills as the "Beverly Hillbillies."  Dang!  But I beens to them theres big collages and got meself a eduman-cation.  And I's talks much better now.  I dos.  Lol.  No, here in the Ozark Hills, only three-year-olds use "methinks."  And as for "real good," well you've got me by the balls there.  Lol.  But we usually say "real well."  I've listened to myself talk for a long time and I have yet heard an accent slip from my mouth.  Not once.  And that theres a fact. It is.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..