Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 7. Chapter 7

The cruise around the Indian Ocean islands continues.


And so, exactly seven years to the day, with a feeling of deja vu, Andrew and Ryan found themselves boarding the Air Mauritius flight to the holiday island, only this time they were accompanied by their two children, family and friends. And, instead of staying at a resort, they would be on board their very own motor yacht.As Andrew settled himself into his seat, he quietly marvelled at just how much his life had changed in seven short years, filled with so many mixed emotions. Or at least, that's how it felt.

His devastation at the loss of his parents, the rekindled hope when he reconnected with Ryan in Europe and his return home, the feeling of achievement with the purchase of Blue Bay Lodge, and his unbridled joy when he and Ryan had tied the knot on the island they were now heading to once again. Not to even talk about his two beautiful children and the very successful company that he was, effectively, the head of. Ryan's kidnapping and assault was a dark spot in his memories, as was losing Paul and Marie to the other side of the world. But at the same time he had gained so much, not only emotionally and physically, but materially as well.
He was smiling softly to himself when Ryan nudged him.

"Earth to Drew! Hello!" Andrew turned his head and gazed at his husband.

"Huh! Sorry my love. Zoned out for a while there"

"Yeah, I could tell. You were miles away. I hope I was at least somewhere in your thoughts" Andrew grinned at him.

"You were actually. I was just thinking how much has changed in my life since we were here last. And how incredibly lucky, and happy, I am. Joan once told me life gave me lemons, but I took them and made the best lemonade. And I have to agree with her. And to a very large extent, that is thanks to you. I don't know if I could, or would, have done it without you. Your love and support as been immeasurable. Thank you", Andrew told him quietly.

"Wow, big serious, deep thoughts there babe. But yeah, it hasn't always been easy, but I for one wouldn't change it for anything. Even my assault turned out to have a silver lining".

They were interrupted by a flight attendant offering them a pre-departure drink and Andrew looked around the cabin, checking on their travelling group. David and Janice were seated two rows back with Elizabeth, Michael and Rascal in the row between them and Andrew and Ryan. On the other side of the cabin, Craig and Donna were seated in the same row as Andrew and Ryan with Cameron and Jonathan in the row between them and Paul and Marie. Andrew stood up to check that the kids seat belts were all properly fastened. They had asked to sit next to one another instead of beside one of their parents as had normally been the case.

Due to the late departure time, 10.05pm, they had dined in the business class lounge at the airport after checking in, slightly later than their usual dinner time. The hope was that the kids would all be able to get some sleep soon after take off, although it remained to be seen whether the kids would partake of the light meal service that was offered.

The flight was quite busy, with only four seats in the front cabin remaining unoccupied and the economy cabin also being almost full, judging by what Andrew had seen when checking on the kids. But after a bit of a wait, the doors were closed, the jetway was retracted and there came the familiar jolt as they aircraft was pushed back, accompanied by the whine of the engines spooling up. There was a short pause before they headed for the runway, while the cabin crew performed the welcome and safety briefing. Another short pause at the end of the runway, then the engines roared behind them and they sped down the runway, taking off in a southerly direction and then banking to port to put them on their heading to Mauritius, five and a half hours away. With a four hour time difference, arrival would be at 5.10am, Mauritian time.

As it turned out, the kids all had Spaghetti Bolognese and some cheesecake. Andrew picked at a chicken salad, not really feeling hungry, and also had cheesecake with a cup of tea. Ryan seemed to enjoy his chargrilled lamb wrap and the, inevitable, cheesecake. After dinner, the lights were dimmed, seats were lowered and they all managed to get a few hours of sleep before being woken an hour before arrival for a light continental style breakfast.

Andrew and Marie got the kids organised with breakfast and turned on their seatback entertainment systems to watch a movie. He put Rascal back into this travelling basket with a small bowl of chunks and made sure the little dog had enough water. The water had a few drops of Rescue remedy in it which would keep him drowsy until they on the ground.

He returned to his seat, turning on his system as well, noticing that Ryan's system was on the flight map showing their progress. When the island appeared on the map, Andrew saw that they were slightly south of the island and watched through his window as they flew past the island and then banked to port to fly up the east coast.

"Ry, am I right in thinking that we will be landing from the East?" Ryan focused on the screen and nodded.

"Yeah, looks like it. Very unusual for this time of the year. The prevailing winds are normally out of the East. Why do you ask, babe?"

"Because, dearest, 'Amira' might be visible as we make the approach for landing", Andrew replied with a grin. Ryan's eyes widened.

"Hell yeah, you're right. Well done for picking that up. It is possible".

What the rest of the group did not know was that Ryan had arranged for Michael to bring 'Amira' down the East coast to Blue Bay, a stunning beach situated within a nature reserve. The eastern end of the runway bordered on the nature reserve, with only a narrow strip of land between the airport boundary and the ocean. The plan, arranged through their contacts at the Department of Tourism, was to anchor the yacht about a kilometre offshore, outside the reef and almost in line with the end of the runway of the airport, and then dispatch the tender to the beach at the La Peninsula Beach Resort through the gap in the reef, to pick them up. It meant they wouldn't have to drive for an additional ninety minutes to Grand Baie, 'Amira's' usual embarkation point, instead only driving for fifteen minutes.
Andrew stood and told the others to be on the lookout just before they landed to possibly see 'Amira'.

As it turned out they did spot her, bathed in the soft light of the rising sun, just as they made the turn for their final approach, anchored directly in line with the gap in the reef and slightly right of the runway. It was those on the starboard side who got the best view of her as they flew low along her port side, the water turning from blue to turquoise as they crossed the reef and over the lagoon.
It was only seconds later that the undercarriage thumped down onto the runway, the engines roared in reverse thrust as they slowed down and turned left towards the terminal building.

The advantages of travelling in business class paid off once again with immigration and customs being negotiated with minimum fuss, the only slight delay being a thorough check of Rascal's documentation before entering the arrivals hall to be greeted by a driver with a board. 'Devlin-Major'. Ryan giggled.

"At least this time they got the name right", he said, prompting a question from Marie as to the meaning of the comment.

"The morning we arrived, before our engagement and wedding, which if you remember correctly, I knewnothing about, our driver also met us with a 'Devlin-Major' board. I said to Drew, "I like the name, but a little premature I think", or something along those lines. My darling husband looked like a deer caught in headlights and his answer was, "Yeah, just a little", and I still didn't cotton on".

Marie couldn't contain herself and roared with very unladylike laughter.

"Ry, I love you to bits, but good god, you can be a real blonde sometimes", which had the rest of the group in fits of laughter as well.
Ryan looked unimpressed for a moment and then grinned.

"Yeah, I guess I can be. But it turned out to be the best thing I've ever done. Married the love of my life. I cannot believe that was seven years ago. It seems like yesterday", pulling Andrew closer and hugging him.

They followed the driver to a small air conditioned luxury coach and piled in while he and two porters loaded the luggage and then set off for the short drive to La Peninsula. They were able to drive through the resort, almost all the way to the beach where 'Amira's' tender was tied up the the small dock, normally used
by the pedalo boats, the small pedal powered boats that guests could cruise the lagoon on. Brian and Gary stood nearby, keeping an eye on the small crowd of curious early risers.

When the bus drew to a halt, Brian stayed with the tender as Gary approached the bus and opened the door, smiling broadly.

"Ryan, Andrew, so good to see you again. Welcome back to motoryacht 'Amira'.", extending his hand in welcome. Ryan stepped off the bus and grasped his hand.

"Hi Gary. Thanks for coming to fetch us".

"It's my pleasure. Hello Andrew"

"Hello Gary. It's good to be here. Will you be able to take us all plus all the luggage or will you need to do two trips?".

"We'll be good for one trip only. No problem at all, Andrew", Gary replied, taking in the luggage that the driver was already unloading off the bus.

"Fantastic. Okay, introductions", Ryan added."You know mom and dad, David and Janice. Behind them are Paul and Marie Mason and their two boys, Jonathan and Michael. They're our best friends from Canada. And last but not least, my sister Donna and her husband Craig Kenton. And you need no introduction to Cam and Elizabeth. Guys, this is Gary Kelso, our tender pilot and deckhand.

Gary grinned.

"No definitely not", ruffling the twins hair and scratching Rascal under his chin. "Right, let's get you guys on board, then Brian and I can handle the luggage", Gary told them.

"Uh, uh. We can all assist with luggage. It will get us going quicker and I think we're all dying for a good breakfast. At least I hope breakfast will be available when we get on board", Ryan said. Gary laughed and waved to Brian to come closer.

"Yeah, Chef has got a full breakfast ready and waiting". He turned to Brian. "Chief, everyone is going to help with luggage."

Brian welcomed Ryan and Andrew and after Ryan had repeated all the introductions, they all grabbed a piece of luggage and headed towards the tender. Gary boarded first and then assisted them all to board and get comfortable. Ryan took Rascal out of his basket and cuddled him, then took him onto the grass to
have a quick run. When he came back to Ryan, he scooped up the doggy-doo in a bag and disposed of it and then picked the puppy up again. The very happy, if still slightly woozy, puppy wagged his tail energetically, wriggled his body to burrow closer to Ryan and gave him lick kisses.

"There is a cooler with bottled water, soft drinks and beers in the starboard locker and flasks with tea and coffee and mugs to port. There's also a small bowl for Rascal, if you want to give him some water. Help yourselves while the Chief and I load the luggage".
There was a lot of whispers from the ever growing crowd of observers and more than a few mobiles were in view filming video. Gary and Brian loaded the luggage, Gary took his place at the helm and fired up the twin motors, while Brian released the mooring lines and leapt nimbly aboard. Gary carefully backed off the dock, pivoted the tender around and motored slowly into deeper water before advancing the throttles. The motors growled powerfully, the bow lifted as they rapidly picked up speed and they sped over the calm lagoon water towards the gap in the reef, 'Amira' clearly visible through the gap. Gary slowed down somewhat while they negotiated the gap and a few minutes later, Gary slowly motored around 'Amira', giving the newcomers their first real view of the yacht, including Rascal who perched on Ryan's lap with his front paws on the top rail of the tender, and then expertly brought the tender to a stop within inches of the swimming platform, where Ashleigh was waiting to catch the bow mooring line that Brian tossed to her. She quickly secured the bow line as Brian stepped over the bulwark onto the swimming platform and secured the stern line, making sure the buffers were in place to prevent the tender from banging into the platform. Michael and Christine waited at the top of the port stairs to the aft main deck. Jonathan came to stand next to Ryan and asked,

"Uncle Ryan, is this really your boat", sounding rather sceptical. Ryan put his arm around the boys shoulders and nodded.

"Yes Jonjon, it really is out boat"

"Wow, way cool", came the awestruck reply.

"Wow, is an understatement", Marie added. "Holy cow, guys! She's gorgeous! I mean, 'Belle Catherine' is, in my opinion, gorgeous as well. But this is on another level completely."

Once Brian gave Gary the all clear, he skillfully held the tender in place as Brian and Ashleigh assisted everyone onto the platform and began offloading the luggage.

"Right gang", Ryan called out. "Follow me". He put Rascal down, who immediately bounded up the stairs onto the Main Deck and scampered around Michael and Christine, his tail wagging madly and his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. They both reached down to pet him and he rolled over onto his back so that his tummy could be scratched. Michael picked up the squirming puppy.
Ryan took the port side stairs up onto the deck to where Micheal was standing, who held out his hand in greeting.

"Welcome back on board Ryan, Andrew. Good to have you with us", giving Rascal's head a scratch. Rascal licked his hand in reply.

"Thank you, Michael. Allow me to introduce our guests. You have already met my parents. Then we have my sister and her husband, Donna and Craig Kenton, and our friends from Canada, Paul and Marie Mason and their two boys Jonathan and another Michael. Guys, our captain, Michael Bester. The young ladies are Christine Turner and Ashleigh Goodman, our stewardesses. I'll introduce you to Ray Carlson, our chef later. He's obviously involved with breakfast right now". Ryan looked around.

"I think we must get organised in our cabins, maybe freshen up a bit and then meet in the main salon in say, thirty minutes. Then we can have breakfast and we can give you the tour later. Everyone happy with that?"
There were nods and murmurs of agreement all round.

"Great, okay. Let's go down and get you guys organised", Ryan said and looked a Christine. "Andrew and I will handle it, thank you", taking Rascal from Michael.

"Ryan, do you want me to set sail immediately, or do we stay here for a while?, Michael queried.

"I think we can get going. It will be a bit quieter than where we are now", Ryan replied as a turboprop roared low overhead, descending to the runway.

"Okay". Michael leaned over the aft railing. "Gary, recover and secure the tender please. Chief, stand by to get us underway", he instructed the crew on the swimming platform, and used the exterior stairs to go to the bridge.

The salon sliding door swished open as Ryan stepped up to it and everyone followed him into the salon. There were gasps of appreciation behind him.

"Oh wow guys. This is amazing", Marie gushed. Ryan turned to the group.

"Okay guys, this is the main salon and formal dining area. The door on the left, port, goes into the galley. The one on the starboard side leads to the master cabin, a day head or cloakroom, so you don't have to go to your cabin, and the stairs to the upper and lower decks. Your cabins are on the lower deck. Follow me"
Everyone trooped down to the lower deck lobby where Ryan stopped.

"Okay. Mom and dad, you guys are port aft. That way, right hand door", Ryan said, indicating down the short companion way. "Craig and Donna. Also aft. Starboard side".

He walked down the forward companion way and opened the door to the port forward cabin. The two beds had been pushed together to make a queen. "Good! Paul and Marie, you guys are in here with Michael. And the two brats are across the way in here", opening the starboard forward cabin door where the cabin was configured with two singles and the pullman. It was where Jonathan and Cameron would sleep. The original plan had been that the twins would sleep in the master cabin with their dads, but Cameron and Jonathan had asked if they could be in the same cabin. Elizabeth had elected to remain with her dads, although both the extra beds remained in place should Cam decide he wanted to sleep in the master cabin at some stage. The pullman was available should either little Michael or Elizabeth decide to join the other two boys.

Rascal was squirming in his arms so Ryan put him on the floor. He ran to Cameron and jumped up against his leg. Cameron picked him up and put him on the bed where he sniffed for a while, turned in a few circles, then plopped down on the comforter, curled up, his head on his front paws and kept an eye on the comings and goings, but as soon as Andrew and Ryan turned to leave, he gave a soft yip, and leapt off the bed to follow them. Ryan picked him up again.

Leaving their guests to get organised, Andrew, Ryan and Elizabeth returned up to the main deck to the master cabin, where their luggage was waiting. Ryan put Rascal down and he promptly took off, running around the cabin before starting to sniff around and examine his new surroundings. Then he hopped up on
to the bed, burrowed against the pillows and lay watching his human family.

They quickly unpacked, splashed water on their faces changed into shorts and t-shirts and were in the main salon when everyone began appearing from their cabins. Elizabeth had Rascal on his leash. Ryan then led them upstairs through the wheelhouse, to the Sky Deck where all the windows had been lowered allowing the light tropical breeze to waft through. Once everyone was gathered around, Ryan said,

"This is the Sky Lounge. If the weather is good, here and the main deck forward is probably where most of our socialising will happen. If you look over the forward sill, you will find another nice seating area, and a small splash pool with sun beds. As you can see, there is another tub up here. We can use it as another splash
pool or as a hot tub, and some more sun beds. There is a fully stocked bar up here, where Ray has got all the food laid out now. The bar has an ice maker and a refrigerator. Okay, let's get some breakfast"

Ryan introduced the newcomers to Ray and they all helped themselves to cold items as Ray fired up the gas grill and stove to do eggs to order. When they were all settled at the table, Christine and Ashley advised them of the hot items that were available and took egg orders from everyone. While they were doing that, 'Amira's', bow chain rattled as the anchor was raised and they slowly began to sail southwest, destination Reunion.

After a very good breakfast, Ryan showed the Masons and the Kentons around the yacht and then they all disappeared into their cabins to unpack and get settled. The children all wanted to swim in the tub on the Sky Deck, so Gary removed the cover and laid out mattresses and towels on the sunbeds. David and Janice were comfortably ensconced in the shade of the Sky Lounge and offered to keep an eye on the children. Paul, Marie, Donna and Craig all gravitated to the pool on the foredeck, Andrew disappeared into the galley with Ray, and Ryan sat at the sky bridge controls with Michael. Rascal stood on the decking around the top edge of the tub barking excitedly until Cameron held out his hand and the puppy unhesitatingly leapt into the cool water.

In the spotless galley, Andrew was chatting to Ray.

"Breakfast was delicious Ray, but please don't think you have to provide that level of catering every day we are on board. Ryan and I want this cruise to be as stressfree and informal as possible. Give you guys a bit of a break as well", Andrew told him.
Ray nodded.

"Thank you, I hear what you are saying. But you pay me to provide catering suitable for the standard of the yacht.", he replied.

"I get that Ray, Believe me. But for this cruise we are all family and friends. I know you guys still feel a bit strange around us. I understand that. But Ryan and I want to pitch in as well. I know you want to show us what you can do and I appreciate that. You'll get your big chance on Saturday night when we have our anniversary dinner and maybe a couple of times more. But other than that, keep things simple. Remember, there are four young children on board. So cook family style for the most part. A good breakfast, light lunch and a nice tasty dinner. Anything else, we'll just take as it comes"
Ray nodded again.

"Okay, if you say so. Thank you.

"Good. Can we go over arrangements for Saturday? Did we manage to get everything on the list I sent you? Are you comfortable with all the items on the menu?"

"Yeah, it's all on board. And the menu won't be a problem at all. In fact, I love it. Old classics with modern interpretations. The photographs you sent me will be a great help as well. Will the children be eating from that menu as well?

"Yes, they will. Obviously just smaller portions. And I would like all of you to eat off it as well. If It were possible, I would have you all dining with us as well. But I realise that's not realistic and I want to thank you in advance for all the work I know you're going to be putting in".

"It's only a pleasure, Andrew. I'm actually looking forward to the evening", Ray said.

"So am I. I still cannot believe it's been seven years already. I'll leave you at it. I know you have lunch and dinner to prepare for, so I'll leave you to get on with it. But please, I'm available and willing if you need any assistance. Deal?"
Ray smiled and nodded.

"Yes, boss. Thank you"

Up in the bridge, Ryan had had a similar conversation with Michael and they had agreed that Ryan would share day watches with Michael and Gary while they were on board. Ryan also wanted the crew to get some R & R, cognisant of the fact that there was still a vessel to run. He took the stairs down to the main deck and met Andrew just a he stepped out of the galley into the starboard companionway.

"There's a sight for sore eyes", Ryan said, grinning at Andrew, wrapping his arms around him and drawing him against him to kiss him.

"If I ever get tired of this, just shoot me , okay"
Andrew grinned back at him.

"Don't worry. I'll make sure you don't"

They turned, linked their hands and walked through the main salon and out onto the deserted main deck. They stood against the railing, shoulders touching and gazed at their wake stretching out behind them, the coastline of Mauritius just a faint line on the horizon. Above them, they could hear the children enjoying the pool, and Rascal yapping happily, and soft music filtered through the speakers on each deck.

"It still boggles my mind that we have all..... this", Andrew said, lifting his hand to indicate 'Amira'. "I have to pinch myself to accept that it's actually happening"
Ryan turned Andrew to face him.

"And I would give it all up in a heartbeat if I had to. As long as I got to keep you and our munchkins. And our puppy. Everything else is unimportant"
Andrew gazed lovingly up at his husband.

"It hasn't all been easy. We've both had our trials and tribulations to get where we are. And if it came to giving it all up, Yeah I would, but I would fight very inch of the way before I did. We've worked hard to be where we are".

They turned and walked hand in hand down the starboard sidedeck to the bow, stopping to take in the view ahead of them, or rather, the lack of it. Ahead was nothing except blue water to the horizon meeting a lighter blue sky dotted with some high wispy clouds. There was no land in sight ahead of them. A few seagulls swooped along the sides of the yacht, and a pod of dolphins gamboled off the bow. In the distance, apparently also bound for Reunion judging by their course, was a catamaran and two monohulls, all carrying spinnakers in the light winds. It was idyllic.

They joined their four guests in the foredeck seating area and just chilled while chatting to them. A collapsible awning had been erected over the seating area, supported by a frame that slipped into fittings on either side. The forward motion of the yacht, combined with the breeze, made it an extremely comfortable
place to relax. The small refreshment stocked refrigerator located under the table was a handy, and welcome, feature.

Lunch was enjoyed in the Sky Lounge again. A simple basic salad with a choice of seared beef strips or chicken breast as the main ingredient accompanied by fresh flat breads, still warm from the griddle. Dessert was a refreshing fruit salad with ice cream.

Ryan relieved Michael at the helm for a noon to 18h00 watch. Gary was on the 18h00 to midnight, and Michael would stand the graveyard watch from midnight to 06h00 when Ryan would relieve him for a few hours until their arrival off Reunion at about 11am the following morning, cruising at a very sedate and comfortable 10 knots.

Ray took Andrew's advice to heart, and dinner was a simple affair, just a main course and dessert.

A classic Chicken Cordon Bleu with a creamy mushroom sauce, sauté potatoes, green beans and sweet carrots. Dessert was a Swissroll with an ice cream filling and chocolate sauce which the four little ones loved, as well as the adult kid amongst them.

Although they had all done very little except laze around, the sea air and sun, coupled with the red eye flight meant they were all in bed fairly early.

Andrew woke up when Ryan rose to shower for his 06h00 watch and lay in bed until he left, watching TV and the sea slowly passing by through the windows on either side of the cabin. The sun was already up and the calm sea sparkled in the bright sunlight as far as the eye could sea. Andrew loved that there was no need to close the windows when they were at sea, as the side deck went over the top of the cabin instead of alongside it. So the windows were set directly into the hull and were totally private. When Ryan left for the bridge, Rascal whimpered at the door until Andrew called him and he jumped back onto the bed, crawling under the covers, snuggled against Andrew's stomach and they both dozed for another hour. The cabin doorbell chimed softly and, throwing on a robe, he opened the door to find Ashleigh with tea and hot chocolate.

"Morning Andrew, apologies if I disturbed you. Ryan asked me to bring a pot of tea for you and a mug of hot chocolate for Elizabeth."

"Morning Ashleigh", he replied, stepping back to allow her to set the tray down on the office desk. "No problem. I was awake anyway. Thank you, this will go down a treat. And I have to get ready anyway. Anyidea where we are?"

"It's my pleasure. Reunion is in sight off the bow, but we still have an hour or so before we actually get close".

"Great, thank you. Are you taking coffee to the others?
She nodded.

"Yes, Christine is busy with their trays. We'll take them down as soon as I get back".

"Thank you, I won't keep you then. We'll see you when we come up for breakfast"

She left the cabin, closing the door behind her. Andrew carried the tray through to the bedroom and set it down on the dressing table. He poured himself a cup of tea, took a few sips, and then went to wake his daughter. Elizabeth gazed at him sleepily, smiling softly as Rascal jumped onto the bed and lay down next to her.

"Morning my angel. There's some hot chocolate for you"
She sat up and yawned.

"Morning daddy, thank you. Where's dad"

"Gone up to the bridge already for his watch. Drink up, have a shower and get dressed. We arrive off Reunion in about an hour. I'm sure you want to be up on deck when we arrive. I'm going to have a shower while you drink your hot chocolate".

He had a quick shower, dressed in a pair of brightly patterned board shorts, t-shirt and deck shoes, and returned to the cabin to find Elizabeth up and about and her bed made. She had found an extra bowl and had poured some tea for Rascal which he was lapping at. She took her dad's place in the bathroom, Andrew topped up his cup of tea and sat that the window table, sipping it while watching the ocean stream past. Rascal finished his bowl of tea and came to sit at Andrew's feet, staring at the cup in Andrew's hand, his tail swishing back and forth. When Andrew was almost finished, Rascal started bouncing around Andrew's feet, wuffing softly. It always amazed Andrew how he knew when the cup was almost empty. Andrew bent down, lowered the cup and the puppy lapped noisily at the remnants of the tea in the cup. When he was done, he jumped up with his front paws on Andrew's leg, who picked him up and got some wet kisses in return. Rascal eventually settled on Andrew's lap and joined him in gazing out the window.

It wasn't long, however, before Rascal's ears perked up and he turned his face to stare at the door. When the doorbell chimed again, he leapt off Andrew's lap and scampered to the door, sniffing at the tiny crack at the bottom, his tail wagging frantically making his whole body wriggle.

"Come in Cam, the door's open", Andrew called.

The door opened and Cameron almost tripped over the puppy as he ran around his little master, yapping happily. Cameron stopped to pick Rascal up.

"Hello, Rascie, did you miss your Cam? I think you did", Cameron said, cuddling the puppy who wriggled in his arms, and getting his own lick kisses. Cameron passed through the office area to where his dad was sitting and grinned at Andrew.

"How did you know it was me at door, daddy?", he enquired.

"Morning Cam. Who else could it be when Rascal takes off like a bat out of hell and goes bananas sniffing at the door. It could only be one of us. I know your dad is on watch, and your sister is in the bathroom. So it could only be you. He only reacts like that with one of us".
Cameron stared at his daddy with something akin to awe, impressed at his reasoning.

"Hmmm, wow, you're right. Daddy, I'm hungry. Can we go get some breakfast?"

"Yeah, sure. We just have to wait for your sister. She shouldn't be long, okay"
Cam sighed and walked to the top of the stairs to the bathroom.

"Lisbeth, how long you going to be?", he called out to his sister.

"Morning Cam. I won't be long. I'm just brushing my hair"
He sighed again.

"Please hurry, I'm starving", Cam replied walking back and flopping onto the bed. Rascal squirmed out of his arms and bounced playfully around him, making him giggle. Andrew smiled as he watched Cam and Rascal play. Cameron would try to grab him, and the little dog would scoot out of reach, dropping down onto his belly, then stare at Cam with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth, before crawling toward his little master, only to scoot away when Cam reached out to grab him. The game ended when Elizabeth appeared coming up the stairs from the bathroom and Rascal jumped off the bed to run around her as well. He lay his head against her leg as she petted him and scratched his head behind his ears.
Cameron sighed dramatically again.

"Hello! Can we please go? My stomach thinks my throat's been cut", he moaned, making his dad laugh.

"Cam, my boy! You are always hungry. I would be worried if you weren't. Let's go kids, breakfast calls. You too, Rascie".

They left the cabin with Rascal scampering ahead of them and climbed the stairs to the deck above. Ryan turned as they came into the bridge, smiling. Brian sat in the second helm seat beside him, scanning the engineering instruments.

"Ahha, all my favourite people! And one little dog! Good morning, my angels", Ryan said as both children hurried to him and hugged him.

"Morning dad", they chorused. "Daddy is taking us for breakfast", Elizabeth told him. "Cam says his throat's been cut"

Ryan grinned at Andrew over their heads, who moved closer and leaned in to kiss Ryan, just as the Mason's came up the stairs. Rascal, his nose detecting the aromas of food, scampered up the stairs onto the Sky Deck.

"Morning my love", Andrew murmured and turned to smile at their guests. "Morning guys, did you sleep well?", he enquired.
They all returned the greeting and Paul replied,

"Very well indeed, thanks Drew. Your beds are very comfortable. And with the sea being as calm as it is, I certainly was not even aware that we were at sea. She's amazingly stable"

"I agree", Marie added. "I had to get up to take Mikey to the bathroom, but other than that, we slept like babies. All I want now is something to eat. I'm starving. Must be the sea air".

"Yesss", Cam pumped his arm."At least I'm not the only one". He took Marie's hand.

"Aunty Marie, let's me and you go. I've been saying for hours that I'm hungry". Marie threw back her head and laughed, then looked at Ryan.

"He's definitely your child".

Leaving Ryan to get back to his watch, everyone took the short staircase onto the Sky Deck and gathered at the bar counter where the cold breakfast items were displayed. Ryan and Brian followed them after transferring control of the yacht to the upper command station and both sat at the helm. He pressed a few buttons and the windows ahead of, and around them, slid silently into the hull, allowing the soft breeze to waft through the area. Ray, Christine and Ashleigh came up from the galley with bowls of hot food, which they placed on the warmers, greeting them all as they approached. Ray arranged everything to his satisfaction and said, glancing at Andrew,

"As per the bosses instructions to keep things simple, we have only scrambled egg today. We'll have a different egg selection each day. Help yourselves and enjoy".

Andrew gazed around and was pleased to see that the table had been set for fourteen, meaning the crew would be joining them for breakfast. He caught Christine's eye, winked at her and smiled. She grinned in acknowledgement. The only one missing was Michael, who was resting after being relieved at the helm
by Ryan.

The crew helped their guests with their cold items, especially the children, helping them to carry glasses of juice and bowls of cereal, fruit and yogurt, to the table, then helped themselves before joining the others around the table, Brian included. Andrew took Ryan some juice and fruit and sat next to him, enjoying the view out over the bow.

The island was now visible on the horizon, looking green and lush and the peak of the Piton de la Fournaise volcano rising up on the eastern side. Ryan altered course slightly to take them round the north of the island where St Denis, the capital was located, and down the west coast, with the purpose of sailing around the entire island and investigating any and all potential anchorages. Andrew wanted a site that was picturesque, easily accessible from the sea, and relatively secluded to ensure guest privacy. The idea was to be able to take them to the beach, spend some time there, have a beach BBQ and just generally have a good time off the yacht as well.

Ryan lowered the Mauritian courtesy flag and hoisted the one for Reunion as well as the Q flag, then got onto the radio to raise the port to request customs and immigration. He was advised that all those tendering ashore should report to the offices upon arrival in the port.

Ryan dropped the anchors off St Denis just after 11h00. Michael reappeared on deck shortly after, having been woken by the change in motion and the faint rattle of the anchor chains. He relieved Ryan at the helm and Gary launched the tender from the garage to transfer to the small harbour, the port not having facilities large enough to accommodate 'Amira'. Michael volunteered to remain on board while everyone went ashore for a walkabout. Ray left a salad in the refrigerator of the Sky Lounge for Michael's lunch and they all boarded the tender for the short trip to the dockside, ensuring they had all their passports in order to process through immigration onto the island, including all Rascal's documents.

The ten minute, high speed ride into the protection of the small port was quite exhilarating, leaving them all just slightly damp. They tied up at the pontoon below the customs and immigration offices and fortunately, none of them required visas to visit so the formalities were completed in short order and they were free to explore the town. Rascal was also quickly given the all clear.

The first stop was Le Grande Marche, a large market where they browsed through all the stalls and bargained their way to a few souvenirs. Andrew and Janice each bought a large gecko and a dodo, the two unofficial mascots of the island, all exquisitely and brightly painted, for their homes and Marie bargained her way to three bright sun dresses, also locally designed and made. Elizabeth found another dodo which opened up to store all her little trinkets in her bedroom, and Cameron, Jonathan and Michael got some board shorts and t-shirts.

By the time everyone, including the crew, had found something it was almost time for lunch, so the next destination was the food stalls at Le Barachois, a waterfront park overlooking the ocean, where they found a shady outdoor table and feasted on Creole and Chinese takeaways, Rascal getting his fair share as well. Then they strolled through the park into the town itself, admiring the amazing street art and wall murals, some running the full length of a building or wall before heading back to the tender for the short return trip to 'Amira'.

Michael weighed anchor as soon as they were on board, rounding the top of the island and setting a meandering course down the west coast. They chose not to retrieve the tender but, rather, to tow it behind 'Amira', so that it would be readily available should they want to go ashore to investigate any promisinig anchorages. The children, including Rascal, were splashing around in the tub, while Andrew and Ryan sat on the seating across from where Michael was steering the yacht, both with binoculars and studying the coastline intently for potential anchorages, stopping and launching the tender twice to make closer inspection of two locations, both of which were definite possibilities, the two beaches adjacent to one another at La-Salines-les Bains, The Salt Bath, or Trou d'eau Beach, Fresh Water Beach, the latter being quieter and slightly more picturesque. Both were within the coral reef and protected by shark nets.

Michael dropped anchor off the south western coast in a sheltered cove just as the sun touched the horizon and then it was time to relax and enjoy the balmy tropical evening.
As the yacht crew would be working hard the next day at Andrew and Ryan's anniversary dinner, they were all given the night off, and while Andrew and Janice handled dinner, the crew relaxed with their guests, although Ray hovered close by, not entirely comfortable with handing over his domain.

Janice conjured up her signature Chicken and Prawn Curry, while Andrew made a batch of soft rotis and a selection of sambals to accompany the curry. Dessert would be simple Banana Splits.
Ray assisted them in transferring everything up to the Sky Deck and dinner was served accompanied by much banter and laughter.

After dinner, the children requested a movie, and to everyone's surprise, Gary and Brian produced a large custom made screen which fitted into attachments on the aft railing of the deck and an audio visual projector dropped out of the ceiling. Chairs were quickly arranged in front of the screen and the delighted group were able to watch 'Madagascar', the movie the children chose. Christine and Ashleigh produced popcorn and peanuts and with the bar refrigerator well stocked, a very pleasant evening was had by all, enjoying the movie under the stars on the aft upper deck. Surprisingly, after the hot, busy day, the children all stayed awake until the end, although they were all beginning to flag and they were soon tucked into their beds by their parents. The adults followed shortly after, with Elizabeth opting to sleep on the lower deck with her brother and Jonathan. Rascal was with them as well.

Even though they were at anchor, they nevertheless remained at sea, so watches would have to be maintained. After a short discussion with Michael and Gary, the decision was made for Ryan to remain on watch until midnight, only two hours away, when Gary would relieve him. Michael would relieve him at 04h00 and weigh anchor to get them down the remainder of the west coast and round the bottom of the island to sail up the east coast during the day. Ryan elected to stay on watch for an extra hour to allow the other two to sleep a little longer so the watch relief times were pushed back by one hour. Ray arranged for flasks of hot coffee and water for tea, and made some sandwiches for the watch keepers, all the unnecessary lights were extinguished, leaving only the deck lights, riding lights on the mast and the underwater lights and everyone headed for their cabins, leaving Ryan, and Andrew who wanted to join him, reclining at the upper deck helm, the soft breeze keeping things nice and comfortable

They sat close together, just enjoying the beautiful night and being near one another. Andrew cuddled against Ryan's side, his husbands arm draped around his shoulders, and rested his head on his shoulder. Andrew sighed contentedly, and raised his head to kiss Ryan's jaw, who lowered his head, found Andrew's
mouth and gently kissed him. He pulled away and gazed deep into Andrew's eyes, his own eyes and mouth smiling.

"As much as I love having everyone around, times like these are what I enjoy most. We don't seem to have enough of them. At least, I don't think so!"
Andrew burrowed further into Ryan's side and looked up at him, replying,

"I know what you mean, my love. Except when we're in our bedroom, we get very little alone time. Not that it hassles me. Not at all. I wouldn't change what we have for anything. But I sometimes think we're so busy caring for everyone and everything around us, that we don't care enough for one another. And I never want to take what we, you and I, have for granted"

"I doubt that will ever happen, my love", Ryan said, tightening his arm around Andrew. "Mom once said you and I are one heart beating in two bodies. I truly believe that. And I can say with absolute conviction that I have never been happier. I cannot believe that", he glanced at the digital clock on the control panel, "in twenty minutes time, our 7th anniversary will be here. Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday that we got married. So much has happened since then, good and bad. But, apart from, maybe, my being attacked, I wouldn't change a thing. And even that ultimately brought us closer together and was the catalyst to us getting Cam and Elizabeth. And getting 'Amira'".

"Hmmm, me too. My only regret is that my parents cannot share our happiness with us. And that they never got to meet Cam and Elizabeth. I do know that they know how happy we are. I think they watch over us. There are times when I get a whiff of my mom's favourite perfume, or dad's cigar."

They sat quietly for a while, enjoying their closeness and the sounds around them. The water lapping against the hull, the breeze blowing around them, even the soft hiss of the air conditioning and faint hum of the generator in the engine room.
Just before midnight, Andrew wriggled out from under Ryan's arm and went to the bar, returning with a small bottle of champagne and two fluted glasses. He poured the bubbly liquid into the glasses and as the numbers on the clock flicked over to 00.00, he handed Ryan a glass with a beaming smile.

"Happy anniversary my love. Thank you for the past seven years. I love you Ryan Devlin-Major"
The glasses clinked as the toasted one another.

"Happy anniversary babe. To many more years together. And I love you more"

They wrapped their arms around one another and kissed deeply, tasting the champagne in their mouths, before resuming their seated positions, sipping the bubbly and settling in for the remainder of their watch.

When Gary relieved them at 01h00, he congratulated them and they walked hand in hand down to the master cabin, where they slowly undressed one another, taking a warm shower where each washed the other before drying one another and falling onto the bed wrapped around one another. Their lovemaking was slow and languid, hands, mouths and tongues exploring every erogenous spot making the recipient moan or arch his body in response. When both were fully sated, they moved into their usual spooned position, arms holding the other close and quickly dropped into a deep sleep.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 24
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The following was truly poignant!!

"I doubt that will ever happen, my love", Ryan said, tightening his arm around Andrew. "Mom once said you and I are one heart beating in two bodies. I truly believe that. And I can say with absolute conviction that I have never been happier. I cannot believe that", he glanced at the digital clock on the control panel, "in twenty minutes time, our 7th anniversary will be here. Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday that we got married. So much has happened since then, good and bad. But, apart from, maybe, my being attacked, I wouldn't change a thing. And even that ultimately brought us closer together and was the catalyst to us getting Cam and Elizabeth. And getting 'Amira'".

"Hmmm, me too. My only regret is that my parents cannot share our happiness with us. And that they never got to meet Cam and Elizabeth. I do know that they know how happy we are. I think they watch over us. There are times when I get a whiff of my mom's favourite perfume, or dad's cigar."

Happy Anniversary Swerk GIF

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Cam and Elizabeth are growing up too fast.  Another great chapter. I was a little worried since this one was posted a little later than the others have been.  I eagerly await the next one. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Cam and Elizabeth are growing up too fast.  Another great chapter. I was a little worried since this one was posted a little later than the others have been.  I eagerly await the next one. 

Yeah. I must apologise to all my readers. This chapter was a bit late. Life just caught up with me early in the week and before I realised it, it was Thursday. I meant to post an apology with the chapter and then forgot.

Thank you all for reading, commenting and reacting. Believe me, they are all much appreciated. 

Edited by Andre Delport
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/19/2022 at 4:01 AM, mansexlover said:

Fantastic chapter. I really love Rascal, he is such a great character.

Me too @mansexlover; he is my favourite character. I particularly enjoy the chapters when he "takes stage front and centre" as he did in this chapter. @Andre Delportyou write him with such love and adoration, I challenge any human with even a frigid heart not to fall in love with 'Rascie'.

I enjoyed this chapter immensely; I particularly appreciated the limited reference to what was eaten at meal time. The last chapter, although very well written (your usual standard @Andre Delport) was at times grotesque (the turducken made me feel nauseous just thinking of what it is). Christmas is murder for many animals literally, a time of year I am ashamed to be human (and I don't eat any of them).

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Andre, no need to apologize for being a little late when we are rewarded with another wonderful chapter. Especially one that ends as lovingly as this one. 💞

Truly remarkable, especially the memories of missing parents. 🫂

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. A great cruise with family and friends to celebrate there anniversary.

Thanks Chris. Always good to get your comments. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, mansexlover said:

Fantastic chapter. I really love Rascal, he is such a great character.

Thanks @mansexlover. Rascal is so easy to write about, but also so difficult.  Easy, because his antics are still so clear in my mind, even though he's been gone nearly 3 years now. Difficult, because of the memories those antics bring back

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 2/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, Summerabbacat said:

Me too @mansexlover; he is my favourite character. I particularly enjoy the chapters when he "takes stage front and centre" as he did in this chapter. @Andre Delportyou write him with such love and adoration, I challenge any human with even a frigid heart not to fall in love with 'Rascie'.

I enjoyed this chapter immensely; I particularly appreciated the limited reference to what was eaten at meal time. The last chapter, although very well written (your usual standard @Andre Delport) was at times grotesque (the turducken made me feel nauseous just thinking of what it is). Christmas is murder for many animals literally, a time of year I am ashamed to be human (and I don't eat any of them).

 

Thank you @Summerabbacat. Please see my previous reply to @mansexlover. Writing about him, to is certain extent is cathartic, but the memories remain

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Andre, no need to apologize for being a little late when we are rewarded with another wonderful chapter. Especially one that ends as lovingly as this one. 💞

Truly remarkable, especially the memories of missing parents. 🫂

 

 

Thanks for the comment Anton.  Have you tried the Bobotie yet?

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks for the vicarious vacation once again!  To be at sea (when it is calm!) and feeling a gentle breeze sounds most relaxing - also makes me hungry!  Great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thanks for this fantastic chapter.Maried for 7 years time flys sofast.They enjoying a great holiday with family and friends and celebrate their anniversary. Love this beautiful story.💝💝

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great story Andre. Looking at Google Maps it looks like there are some docks over at Le Port that are big enough big enough to accommodate Amira. Bassin Jules Caillet, its the middle bottom Bassin of Bassin Avenue Barbot. There boat parked at the bottom about 200' long and on the left side looks like it's 500 or 600' long. If I remember correctly Amira is about 160'. 

Might be a reason they can't use it. Looks like the upper Bassin is part military and part private for smaller yachts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..