Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 18. Chapter 18


The day that Jamie Snr and Iona arrived turned out be be a crazy one. Their flight from London Heathrow was due to arrive at 11.05am. The problem was that Andrew was told, via a note sent to all parents on the Wednesday, that due to it being the last day before the Easter holidays, school would be ending at 11.00am on Friday. Both he and Ryan had planned to take Jamie and Fiona to the airport to meet their grandparents, so the letter from the school caused, let's just say, a fair bit of consternation. One of them would have to go to the airport, while the other fetched Cameron and Elizabeth from school.
They decided, however, to live dangerously! Collect Cameron and Elizabeth from school and then make the drive out to the airport. Luck was on their side, the flight being slightly delayed and it landed as they drove into the airport property. Ryan managed to find a very convenient parking almost opposite the doors into the inter-national arrival hall and the children tumbled out of the vehicle, all bubbling with excitement. Their dads were obliged to rein them in as the foursome started towards the road crossing to the terminal.

"Hey", Ryan yelled. "Where do you lot think you are going? You will wait for us before you cross that road! Do I make myself clear?"

Four small heads looked round, wide-eyed. Both Jamie and Fiona's bottom lips trembled. It was the first time they had experienced anger from either Ryan, or Andrew, who fought to control his grin at the looks on their faces. Ryan checked that the doors were all locked and then he and Andrew walked to where the four children, chagrined, now stood waiting.

"I know you are all eager to see grandpa Jamie and grandma Iona", Ryan said sternly, looking up as stream of cars moved past on the road. "This road is very busy. What will happen if one of you gets hit by a car?" Two pairs of blue eyes and tawny flecked brown eyes looked up at him.

"Sorry dad", came a chorus of whispers..

"Okay, now two of you hold my hand and the other two hold daddys hand and we will cross the road together"
Jamie grabbed Andrews hand tightly still looking at Ryan with big eyes. Cameron took his daddys other hand, and Ryan grasped the two girls hands in his and they crossed the four lane road to the international arrivals terminal. They stood around for almost twenty minutes, during which time the four children all regained their 'happy' faces, before the first passengers from the flight began to appear. Jamie and Iona were amongst the first group and their faces lit up when they spotted the welcoming party. Jamie Jnr and Fiona ran to their grandparents who scooped them up into their arms. Cameron and Elizabeth followed more sedately, not knowing their Cameron grandparents as well as their two younger siblings. The greeting they got was, however, just as effusive as the one Jamie and Fiona had got, and it wasn't long before all four were chattering away to their grandparents, who positively glowed with happiness. It took a couple of minutes before Andrew and Ryan could greet them.

"Jamie, Iona, welcome to Cape Town", Andrew said as he greeted them, hugging Iona and shaking Jamie's big hand.

"Andrew laddie, thank ye. Tis gud to be here. And our thanks for the verra gud flight", the older Jamie replied in this broad Scottish brogue."First time we have flown in the front. Verra comfortable indeed".

"It's our pleasure, Jamie. I'm just happy that you were comfortable and that you are here. Let's get going back to the car, shall we?

While he and Ryan were loading the luggage, Andrew was very pleased, and proud, to see that Cameron and Elizabeth were allowing the younger two to monopolise their grandparents, and had moved to the rearmost seat of the SUV, allowing the 'Scottish' family members to be in the centre seat. He gave them both a wink and a thumbs up when they caught his eye. Jamie Jnr and Fiona dominated the conversation on the way home, telling their grandparents about all they had done since leaving Scotland.

On arriving at the house, the older couple were introduced to Yvonne and to Rascal, and were then shown to the guest suite off the lounge that the boys, with Yvonne's help, had reconverted back from being a playroom. They had felt that turning the playroom back into a guest suite, although a lot of work, would be easier for the older couple, instead of having to walk up the stairs to the bedroom wing of the house while they were staying with them.
While the older couple freshened up, Yvonne bustled around the kitchen finishing off a simple lunch of smoked trout on a bed of crisp, fresh mixed lettuce leaves, potato salad, marinated cherry tomatoes and avocado. It was served with a homemade seed bread and a horseradish cream. Andrew set the table on the patio and opened a bottle of dry Rosè, and a bottle of grape juice for the children. The mid April day was perfect with warm sunshine and the merest of breezes.

After lunch, Jamie and Iona went to lie down, being a bit weary after the long overnight flight, while Andrew and Ryan had a swim with the children, trying their best, and not entirely succeeding, to keep the noise down while their guests rested.
Taking advantage of the lovely late summers day, dinner that night was a BBQ with butterflied lamb leg,
fire-roasted potatoes, butternut squash, corn on the cob and a green salad, followed by malva pudding and ice cream for dessert.

Jamie and Iona read their grandchildren a bedtime story and helped to get them tucked into their new beds, before retiring early to bed as well, despite having had a nap during the afternoon. Andrew and Ryan polished off the bottle of Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir that had been opened for dinner, packed the dishwasher, turned it on, locked up and went upstairs themselves.

Saturday dawned bright and clear, but in deference to their older guests, nothing had been specifically planned for the day, although everyone was up and about by 9am. Jamie and Iona advised that they were feeling well rested and wished to do some shopping at the Victoria and Albert Waterfront to buy a few things for the 'wee bairns'. And so after breakfast, they all piled back into Ryan's SUV and he drove them tothe V&A, where they browsed through the stores, made their purchases, despite Andrew's protests that the prices were exorbitant (it was the V&A after all, the biggest tourist trap in Cape Town), which largely went unheeded. The grandparentals were having such a great time that he just went along with it so as not to spoil their fun and enjoyment. Ryan just took it all in his stride and smiled indulgently through it all. He knew full well it was a battle they would not win. And , of course, the 'wee bairns' loved every minute. Most of the morning and a good part of the afternoon was taken up just wandering around the Waterfront precinct. Unfortunately 'Belle Catherine' was out on charter, so they couldn't go to her berth to view her. Their guests would have to wait until the next weekend when they went on a cruise on board the yacht.

In the evening, David and Janice joined them at Blue Bay Lodge for dinner. It was the first time the two pairs of grandparents had had the opportunity to interact with one another, and they hit it off immediately. By the end of the evening anyone seeing them together would have thought they were old friends having a get together. Of course, the genteel ambiance of Blue Bay helped to move things along, with Claude playing a pivotal role by being a superb host, leaving Jamie and Iona with a fantastic impression and lasting memories of the lodge. They were effusive in their compliments about the lodge, making Andrew and Ryan very proud and happy owners. After dinner, the party sat on the patio drinking coffee. Ryan retold the events of the Christmas Day luncheon when Beth had surprised him and Andrew with the news that she was pregnant and how he had grabbed Beth and taken her on a gallop around the packed dining room, much to the amusement of the other luncheon guests on the day, and everyone's amusement around the table that evening, although their were a few tears around the table as well.
After another good nights sleep, on Sunday morning after a simple breakfast, and once again joined by David and Janice, they drove Jamie and Iona out along Chapmans Peak Drive before doubling back to Zevenwacht Wine Estate for a picnic lunch. Rascal went along as well. The weather was just perfect - comfortably sunny with just the slightest breeze.

The venue for the picnic was on the oak-tree shaded, lush green grass around a lake situated in front of the original 17th century homestead which had been converted into a restaurant. Rustic timber slatted tables flanked by squishy hay bales were provided and Andrew had packed several thick throws to cover the bales for a more comfortable seat. A string quartet played a mix of light classical music, along with popular tunes from Broadway and the West End to keep the adults entertained, while the children, and Rascal, had a small kiddies playground to have fun in.
The picnic baskets contained a selection of cold meat cuts, local cheeses, freshly baked farm bread, crackers, pots of chicken liver and smoked snoek patè, two salads, black olives and cheesecake. A bottle of wine from the estate was included as well. The children had baskets that were specially prepared for them. It was a very civilised way of spending a relaxing Sunday afternoon, and once again their Scottish guests were in raptures. The visit could not have started off better.

Andrew had arranged an excursion for every day of the week, he and Ryan having rearranged their work
schedules for that purpose. Mornings were set aside for the forays to the tourist spots, while the afternoons were for work and allowing Jamie and Iona to have a bit of a rest. They were, after all, no longer young! And that applied to David and Janice as well. Dinner on almost all the nights was at the house.

And so on Monday they took the first cable car to the top of Table Mountain, where they enjoyed a hearty break-fast before exploring the walks and view on the mountaintop. The remainder of the morning included a tour of the castle, the city gardens and the parliamentary precinct, and a stroll on the Sea Point promenade where they had lunch.
Tuesday they drove up the West Coast to Yzerfontein where they had lunch at the tented beach restaurant they had visited on New Years Day a few years previously, sailing up on 'Belle Catherine'.
Wednesdays excursion was the tour to Robben Island, taking the ferry from the Waterfront to the notorious apartheid prison whose most famous inmate was none other than Nelson Mandela.
And on Thursday they visited the Kristenbosch Botanical Gardens, The World of Birds and the historic Groot Constantia estate. The afternoon was spent getting organised for the cruise on board 'BelleCatherine' for the weekend and when they arrived back on Sunday evening, they would drop Jamie and Iona at The Cameron until their flight home on Wednesday evening. Andrew had arranged for the bulk of their luggage to be stored at The Cameron until they checked in, so all they needed was a small bag to cover the three days and two nights on the yacht. The Devlin-Majors were also all looking forward to the trip as they had not had the opportunity to sail on board their beloved yacht for months, and Ryan was itching toget behind the helm again.

And so at 6am on Friday, with the sun just beginning to colour the eastern horizon, the sailing party boarded 'Belle Catherine' at her berth in the Waterfront Marina. They were met by Darren and Kerry who had kindly offered to assist with the departure. 'Belle Catherine' had returned to port on the previous Wednesday morning and Darren, Kerry and their young deckhand, Robert, had given her a thorough cleaning, inside and out, and now stood on the deck at the top of the passerelle waiting to assist with the boarding.

'Belle Catherine's white hull and coachwork gleamed under the wharfside lights as did her stainless steel railings and winches. Warm, welcoming lights shone through her windows and the cabin portholes, and soft music played through the speakers in the cockpit. The side railing gate was open and the passerelle was positioned at the gate for boarding, with the blue and gold 'Welcome aboard' mat in place at the foot of the passerelle, along with the non-slip deck slippers for everyone to wear.
Kerry had thoughtfully got coffee made and the hot water boiled for tea, and a plate of buttermilk rusks was also ready and waiting as well.
Once they were all comfortably seated around the table in the cockpit, Kerry poured tea and coffee and made some hot chocolate for the children, then she, Darren and Robert disembarked and stood by to release the mooring lines.
Ryan fired up the engines, preferring to have both available within the confines of the harbour, Andrew made a quick check to see if the water outlets from the engines were spouting water, and once they were happy that everything was operating as it should, Andrew moved forward to the bows to catch the mooring line that Darren tossed to him, quickly coiled it around the stanchion and then went aft and did the same with the stern line from Robert as Ryan slowly powered the yacht away fron the quay. The four new passengers observed the departure process with great interest, Jamie and Fiona clambered onto the helm seat to sit next to their dad.

Once through the bascule bridge and into the harbour proper, Ryan was obliged to cut the throttles and just drift as he saw the harbor entrance filled with the white bulk of the local cruise liner entering the port. He waited until the huge vessel had passed ahead of them efore contacting the port control to request permission to exit the harbour, which he received swiftly. He advanced the throttles again and turned to port to point 'Belle Catherines' bows into the harbour mouth, while Andrew ran through the safety briefing with the first-timers. Both he and Ryan were smiling happily, enjoying the feeling of once again being on board their beloved yacht and experiencing the salty tang of the air when one is at sea. Both were fully aware of just how much they missed being on the yacht.

When Andrew had finished the safety drill, he did the two-penny tour and the showed Jamie and Iona to their midships cabin in the port hull. David and Janice were in their customary cabin, port aft, while the Devlin-Majors were in the master cabin and the midships cabin in the starboard hull, the connecting door between the two cabins having been opened and secured, with the four children occupying the king size bed in the midships cabin.

They were soon motor sailing down the peninsula past Sea Point, and by the time they were abeam Camps Bay, their guests were all back in the cockpit, having unpacked and settled in for the short three day cruise. A cruise that for Andrew and Ryan would be somewhat bittersweet. They were taking Beth's parents and her four children on a similar itinerary as the one they had done with Beth and Nicky when they had agreed on the birth of the twins and ultimately, the birth of Jamie Jnr and Fiona. The trip from Cape Town to Hermanus and back was, in effect, a sort of pilgrimage in honour of their memory but they made the decision only tell Jamie and Iona about it on the way back so as not to possibly making the trip an emotionally difficult one.

Jamie was very effusive in his compliments when he and Iona returned to the saloon where Andrew and Janice were busy in the galley preparing breakfast. Andrew smiled when he saw them coming up the stairs from the hull.

"Jamie, Iona. There you are! I hope you are comfortable in your cabin?"

"Aye, Andrew laddie. Very comfortable indeed", Jamie replied with a broad smile. "Ye have a right bonny vessel here. Fi and I are very impressed!"

"Thank you Jamie We think she is special. Ryan and I have got such wonderful memories of sailing her"
.
"We can surely see why", Iona said. "This is the most luxurious private boat we have ever been on. I'm surprised Donald never told us about her".

"He hasn't told you because he has never seen her, at least to my knowledge, and has definitely never been on board her", Andrew told her smiling widely.

"Well then we need to tell him what he has missed", Jamie added. "Next time he visits he must definitely make time for a cruise".

"We'll see what we can do. His last trip out here was when he opened The Cameron for us and he really did not have the time to do much. By the way, how are you both feeling?", Andrew enquired.
Jamie glanced at his wife.

"We both feel fine. Just need to get our sea legs"
Andrew nodded.

"Okay, good. But just to be on the safe side, I'm going to give you each a patch to wear behind your ear. It will prevent any seasickness or nausea. I've put one one Jamie Jnr and Fiona as well, just in case!"

He handed them each a patch and watched as they attached them to the skin behind their ears.

"I have given you the midships cabin because any movement is minimised there. But we're not expecting any rough seas anyway. It's just a precaution. Make yourselves comfortable out in the cockpit with Ryan and David. Breakfast will be about fifteen minutes. There is fruit juice, coffee, tea and some pastries out there already if you are peckish"
Jamie nodded and said,

"Thank ye laddie. Appreciated. Now my stomach is telling me tis time"

"Is there anything I can do to help, Andrew?", Iona asked quietly. Andrew wondered if she ever raised her voice. He shook his head.

"I think we have it under control, Iona. But thanks for the offer. What you can do is just sit back and relax . You and Jamie are our guests while you are on board 'Belle Catherine',and you're missing out on all the amazing views we are sailing past".

The couple moved slowly out into the cockpit, stood chatting to Ryan for a few minutes at the helm and then joined David at the cockpit dining table which had already been laid for breakfast, turning slightly tosee the coast sliding past on the port side and in particular, the beach suburb of Camps Bay.

Andrew served a full English breakfast shortly after as they cruised along the cliff below Chapmans Peak Drive and, with a freshening wind filling the sails, they were soon making very good headway across the mouth of False Bay with the southern Cape coast ahead of them. The wind continued to get stronger through the day, although not uncomfortably so, and 'Belle Catherine' revelled in the conditions, making such good time that they glided into their berth in Hermanus harbour an hour ahead of their original planned arrival time. After ensuring that the yacht was safely tied up for the night, Andrew took the children to the cabin to shower and get dressed for dinner, while Ryan checked the weather for Saturday afternoon and Sunday when they would be sailing back to Cape Town, which looked very favourable for the sail home.

They dined at the same hotel on the cliffs overlooking the harbour that they had taken Beth and Nicky to, and strolled back down the hill after dinner.

The only deviation from the one with Beth and Nicky came on Saturday morning when they left Hermanus by road just before sunrise to drive to the Caledon Casino Hotel & Spa for the morning. They arrived at the resort at 7am just as the restaurant opened, enjoyed a good breakfast on the patio and then spent the rest of the morning in the hot springs arriving back on board 'Belle Catherine' just after 2pm, stopping for takeaway pizza on route.

Ryan began preparing for departure almost immediately, while Andrew dashed over to the fishing boats to see what he could procure for dinner, returning with fresh mussels and ten large crayfish, and they were at sea by 3pm.

Both sets of grandparents were a bit weary after the excursion, so they went below to nap, the children and Rascal were watching a movie on the TV in the master cabin. Andrew planned an early dinner, cleaning the mussels and the crayfish, and prepping the julienned vegetables for the mussel sauce, Ryan prepared the transom BBQ grill for use a bit later after activating the autopilot and the proximity alarm while he was not at the helm, and when everything was ready, they took turns to go down for showers while the other sat watch at the helm.

Just before sunset, 'Belle Catherine' rounded Cape Hangklip and sailed into the lee of the point, her sails
fluttering as she lost the wind. Ryan started up the port engine and he motored tbrough the tranquil sea to the pretty coastal village of Pringle Bay, where he dropped the anchors off the beach for the night.

When the older family members came back up to the main deck, night had almost fallen, the last pink hues of the sun just colouring the western horizon. To the east, the lights of Pringle Bay twinkled against the dark bulk of the mountain behind the town.

'Belle Catherine' was ablaze with lights, from the top of her mast all the way down to below her waterline, where the underwater lights glowed, turning the water around her emerald green. In the saloon and aft cockpit, the overhead lights had been dimmed and Kenny G played softly through the speakers. Iona gasped as she stepped out onto the deck.

"Oh my, this is absolutely beautiful. So peaceful and tranquil". She glanced at the cockpit dining table that Andrew had laid. "And your table is beautiful as well. I'm finding it hard to believe that we are on a sailing yacht at sea. If this is how you look after your guests, I'm not surprised that Devlin-Major is as successful as it is".

Andrew had to admit he was pretty proud of his table. He had used 'Belle Catherines' best damask linen to cover the table. The cutlery was the 18/10 stainless steel that was normally used when they dined at the saloon table, as well as the glassware. Two candlelamps cast their soft warmth over the table. He had just felt the need to impress their Scottish guests, although had you asked him, he would not have been able to explain why.

And dinner was impressive as well, everyone slurping plump mussels straight out of the shell while savouring the garlic, lemon and wine laced creamy sauce with the accompanying julienned carrots, leeks and celery, all sopped up with crisp French baguette. And that was just the hors d'oeuvres. The flame grilled crayfish, with its succulent, almost sweet tasting flesh, served on a bed of rice with a lemon butter or periperi and a green salad was a triumph. The meal was finished off with a simple milk tart and coffee.

The long day eventually caught up with them and they headed off to their cabins just after 10pm. Ryan did a check on the anchors and made sure that all the required lights were working on the mast and hull to advise any other vessels that they were at anchor, turned on the proximity alarm and intruder alarm, and then he and Andrew retired for the night as well, lulled to sleep by the gentle rocking of the yacht they loved so much.

A late start was made in the morning, only hoisting the anchors after breakfast, as there was no rush to get back. Just after Ryan pointed 'Belle Catherines' bow toward the open sea, they were visited by a pod of dolphins, much to their delight, especially the children and Jamie and Iona, who lay on their bellys on the trampolines watching the gambolling dolphins as they played in and out of the bow wave and ahead of the bow.

The wind was, once again, kind to them and 'Belle Catherine', slid serenely through the water, eventually bringing her passengers back to the marina in the late afternoon. Darren, Kerry and Robert were on hand to assist with the mooring lines and Ryan was amused to notice Darren passing a proprietary eye over 'Belle Catherine', making sure that she was still in perfect shape. They assisted with getting everyone disembarked, helped load the SUV and stood waving goodbye as they drove away to drop Jamie and Iona at The Cameron for the final three nights of their visit, whose reaction on arrival at the lodge pleased Andrew more than he would have thought. And he couldn't have been prouder of the lodge!

It was getting dark by the time they arrived and The Cameron was busy, it was after all still peak summer season. The building was impressively illuminated, every room being lit up as well as the ground floor with the public areas, while soft lights shone in the gardens and along the driveway to the portico. Andrew cast a surreptitious glance at Iona when her heard her gasp.

"Oh Andrew, it's beautiful. It could be a stately home", she murmured. Her eyes widened even more, if it were possible, when they stepped into the lobby. Iona stopped dead in her tracks, taking in all the decor. Then she looked at Andrew and Ryan and moved to hug them both, her dark eyes shining.

"It's a little piece of Scotland, just as the Lochiel told us. Just beautiful. A fitting homage to Clan Cameron. You have made us very proud. And you should both be proud of your achievements", she told them.

As they walked slowly towards the reception desk, Jamie and Iona took note of each decor element, from the very obvious Clan Cameron tartan carpets in the lounge areas to the various Cameron kilts in their glass covered frames and the paintings of Achnacarry and its surrounds photographed by Andrew and Ryan, and then captured on canvas by Janice. It was a small part of Scotland, and indeed, a small part of Cameron, many miles from home.

David and Janice waited in the lobby while the rest of them accompanied Jamie and Iona upstairs to their suite, which they were equally enamoured with. The Devlin-Majors stayed just long enough to get Jamie and Iona settled and then left for home, after arranging to meet them for dinner the following night, the older couple having requested a day of rest, wanting to just take it easy on the pool deck and savour the atmosphere of the lodge.

After dropping David and Janice at their home, and arriving home themselves, Ryan got all the laundry into the washer, Andrew rustled up a chicken stir fried rice for supper and the children ran around the garden playing with Rascal, getting rid of all their pent up energy after having been cooped up on the yacht.
They got the children, and themselves, all bathed and showered, ate supper, and then watched 'Frozen' with the children, the two girls snuggled between them, and the boys sitting tightly against their respective fathers on either side. Rascal lay stretched out across the girls laps.
When the movie ended they carried the very sleepy foursome upstairs and put them tucked into their beds, waited for Rascal to decide on which bed he was going to sleep on, eventually choosing to sleep with Jamie, and then turned in themselves.

With Andrew and Ryan working from home, and the school being on a break, Yvonne was only coming in at 8am instead of her normal 7am, so the family all managed a bit of a sleep-in on Monday morning, although the children and Rascal all came to snuggle in the big bed with their dads at dawn.
Rascal barked when he heard Yvonne's key in the front door and ran to the bedroom door wanting to be let out, knowing he was about to be fed. Ryan got up to open the door for the puppy and then went to shower as he had a meeting at 10am at Southern Ocean to view progress on the new yacht and to drop off the interior decor specs that Andrew had put together.

Andrew was secretly pleased that Jamie and Iona had decided to just have a relaxing day at The Cameron, as it meant he could catch up on some office work that had been a bit neglected. Fortunately, the children were at that age where they could occupy themselves most of the time, although he made sure he spent some time with them during the morning and when Ryan returned from his meeting, they all had lunch together on the patio. At 3pm, Andrew and Ryan wrapped up their workday and the whole family headed for the pool, including Rascal, where they had some fun, and in the evening they drove to The Cameron to have dinner with Jamie and Iona.

For the final full day in Cape Town, Andrew had organised for the whole family to have a beach day. They didn't go far- just a short walk from Blue Bay was a beach called Big Bay, popular with surfers , wind surfers and kite boarders. Andrew arranged for picnic baskets from Blue Bay and Ryan erected a pop-up gazebo for the grand-parentals to shelter under. With the schools being on break, surfers were in plentiful supply, riding the good sized waves that rolled into the bay but due to the light wind, windsurfers and kite boarders few and far between, with only a few die hards on the water making the best of the light winds. But it was a perfect day for the beach and they stayed until after lunch, when the wind did start strengthening and making things a bit less comfortable, so they dropped Jamie and Iona back at The Cameron to have a short rest before they would be picked up for an early dinner at Blue Bay.

They had a final breakfast with Jamie and Iona on the Wednesday morning, and at their request, Andrew and Ryan left the four children with their grandparents until lunch when they were picked up so that Jamie and Iona could pack their luggage for their flight back home. The whole family were back at The Cameron just before 4pm in order to have Jamie and Iona at the airport by 5pm for their 7.05pm British Airways flight to London Heathrow with a two and a half hour layover for the flight to Inverness which arrived at 10.25am.

Iona got a bit weepy at the airport, but to their credit the children, especially Jamie Jnr and Fiona, took it
in their stride.
When the time came for them to go through immigration, Jamie and Iona hugged Andrew and Ryan, and Iona
looked up at them both, saying,

"My heart is at peace. Beth made the right decision to let you have the bairns. I was not so sure, but having seen them here with you, I know now that she was right. It is for the best that they are with their fathers. They are happy and contented. I have seen they lack for nothing and they get a lot a love and attention. So I am happy! Thank you both for everything. For giving us our grandchildren, for caring and loving them as you do, and for this lovely visit. I am forever in your debt, both of you."
Ryan embraced her and stood back for Andrew to do the same before replying.

"These four munchkins mean the world to us, Iona. We will do everything we can to ensure that they are happy. Especially Jamie and Fiona. They have been through a difficult time. But Andrew and I, have made it our goal to help them to remember only the good. But at the same time to not forget who their mother was, and that she loved them deeply", Ryan told her as Andrew nodded in agreement.
Jamie put an arm around Iona and pulled her against his side.

"Thank you, me laddies. Look after them. And yourselves. You will let us know when you will be in Scotland for the George Cross ceremony?"
Andrew nodded.

"Yes Jamie. Most definitely. As soon as we have a confirmed date, I will let you know all the details"

Jamie and Fiona picked up each of their grandchildren, giving them each one final hug and kiss before turning to go through immigration to the departure lounge and the Devlin-Majors watched until they could no longer be seen. Ryan remembered a very similar event when he had said goodbye to Andrew in Europe after the death of his parents. Then they each took the hands of two children and headed back home.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 29
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A bit of a bitter sweet visit for all concerned but a happier set of Scottish grandparents are leaving for home knowing that their  daughter & daughter in laws children are in the right place for them, which is with their brother & sister & their father's.

I have a nagging feeling that Iona might not be well but nothing had been sad during this trip!? I could be well off the mark!?!?

Ok obs a local/regional food, but what is snoek???? Ive guessed a wild fish like a tout!?  Sounds nice regardless.

George Cross visit to Scotland? Refresh my memory its late here in the UK 12.47am n I'm tired n too lazy to go back n  re read/skim the last couple of chapters (lol). 

Thank you for another great chapter in this wonderful & enduring story.

Night all !!

 

Ian ❤

Edited by Freemantleman
  • Like 4
Link to comment

What a lovely visit!  I do so love this story and all of the characters!  Wish I had the means to visit South Africa and visit all the sites mentioned and eat the food!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Freemantleman said:

A bit of a bitter sweet visit for all concerned but a happier set of Scottish grandparents are leaving for home knowing that their  daughter & daughter in laws children are in the right place for them, which is with their brother & sister & their father's.

I have a nagging feeling that Iona might not be well but nothing had been sad during this trip!? I could be well off the mark!?!?

Ok obs a local/regional food, but what is snoek???? Ive guessed a wild fish like a tout!?  Sounds nice regardless.

George Cross visit to Scotland? Refresh my memory its late here in the UK 12.47am n I'm tired n too lazy to go back n  re read/skim the last couple of chapters (lol). 

Thank you for another great chapter in this wonderful & enduring story.

Night all !!

 

Ian ❤

Hi Ian. Snoek is a fish indigenous to the Southern Hemisphere and particularly the South African West coast. Related to the mackerel, we eat it smoked, fried and BBq'd. It's got tons of very long, fine bones but once you've got rid of them, the flesh is very tasty.

George Cross - see @drsawzallcomment above,

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a beautiful chapter. Beautiful memories for the Grandparents, amazing food, brilliant views and they can see that there grandkids are well cared for.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, pvtguy said:

What a lovely visit!  I do so love this story and all of the characters!  Wish I had the means to visit South Africa and visit all the sites mentioned and eat the food!

Same here!!!! ❤

To complicate things further I'm a spinal patient & therefore have long term disabilities so getting insurance is nigh on impossible or so expensive  its equal to the cost of the holiday so I've stopped travelling. My last passport expired just over 11 years ago!!!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Andre Delport said:

Hi Ian. Snoek is a fish indigenous to the Southern Hemisphere and particularly the South African West coast. Related to the mackerel, we eat it smoked, fried and BBq'd. It's got tons of very long, fine bones but once you've got rid of them, the flesh is very tasty.

George Cross - see @drsawzallcomment above,

Thanks for the info it sounds lovely!! & also for the George Cross info!! ❤

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/4/2022 at 2:52 AM, drsawzall said:

What an amazing chapter, I am thanking the gods of good food that I waited till after supper to read!!! My waistline thanks me!!!

If memory serves me correctly, Beth and Nicky earned the George Cross for their efforts to save as many lives as they could, once the ferry capsized!

The following was simply powerful!!

Iona got a bit weepy at the airport, but to their credit the children, especially Jamie Jnr and Fiona, took it
in their stride.
When the time came for them to go through immigration, Jamie and Iona hugged Andrew and Ryan, and Iona
looked up at them both, saying,

"My heart is at peace. Beth made the right decision to let you have the bairns. I was not so sure, but having seen them here with you, I know now that she was right. It is for the best that they are with their fathers. They are happy and contented. I have seen they lack for nothing and they get a lot a love and attention. So I am happy! Thank you both for everything. For giving us our grandchildren, for caring and loving them as you do, and for this lovely visit. I am forever in your debt, both of you."
Ryan embraced her and stood back for Andrew to do the same before replying.

"These four munchkins mean the world to us, Iona. We will do everything we can to ensure that they are happy. Especially Jamie and Fiona. They have been through a difficult time. But Andrew and I, have made it our goal to help them to remember only the good. But at the same time to not forget who their mother was, and that she loved them deeply", Ryan told her as Andrew nodded in agreement.
Jamie put an arm around Iona and pulled her against his side.

"Thank you, me laddies. Look after them. And yourselves. You will let us know when you will be in Scotland for the George Cross ceremony?"
Andrew nodded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cross

The George Cross | Nick Metcalfe

Thank you @drsawzallfor the lovely comment. These last few chapters after the funeral and probably the next two as well will continue to carry the thread of Beth and Nicky. Once the George Cross ceremony is over, life will continue in a better vein for the Devlin-Majors.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/3/2022 at 4:50 PM, Freemantleman said:

A bit of a bitter sweet visit for all concerned but a happier set of Scottish grandparents are leaving for home knowing that their  daughter & daughter in laws children are in the right place for them, which is with their brother & sister & their father's.

I have a nagging feeling that Iona might not be well but nothing had been sad during this trip!? I could be well off the mark!?!?

Ok obs a local/regional food, but what is snoek???? Ive guessed a wild fish like a tout!?  Sounds nice regardless.

George Cross visit to Scotland? Refresh my memory its late here in the UK 12.47am n I'm tired n too lazy to go back n re read/skim the last couple of chapters (lol). 

Thank you for another great chapter in this wonderful & enduring story.

Night all !!

 

Ian ❤

Dr. Nicky and Beth earned the George Cross when they tried to save as many people as possible from the sinking ferry. When it capsized in the storm near Fort Williams Scotland. that sadly cost their lives. I as well got a feeling that one of Beth's parents were sick. Or they just wanted to make sure that Jamie Jr. and Fiona, was doing okay since they left Scotland. 

Edited by haines87
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, Freemantleman said:

I have a nagging feeling that Iona might not be well but nothing had been sad during this trip!? I could be well off the mark!?!?

My heart is at peace. Beth made the right decision to let you have the bairns. I was not so sure, but having seen them here with you, I know now that she was right. This statement from Iona had me thinking the same thing @Freemantleman. I hope we are both well off the mark though as there has already been enough death in this current book (hint hint @Andre Delport).

After the drama and sadness in more recent chapters it was a delightful change of pace to read a chapter with little drama; serenity and happiness prevailed for all members of the Devlin-Major family and their extended family. The mood and activity of the family, Rascal included of course, seemed to mirror the calm of the sea as the family traveled on Belle Catherine. A clever literary ploy @Andre Delport or merely a coincidence?

'Belle Catherine' was ablaze with lights, from the top of her mast all the way down to below her waterline, where the underwater lights glowed, turning the water around her emerald green. and "Oh my, this is absolutely beautiful. So peaceful and tranquil". I have no sea-legs, having only been out to sea once and got hideously sea-sick, however it would almost be worth it to observe such beauty as described so wonderfully @Andre Delport

@Andre Delport your story-telling continues to entertain and your writing skills impress. Jamie Sr and Iona delighted all with their enthusiasm for activity. Their heartfelt joy and happiness that Jamie Jr and Fiona are "where they belong" was poignant, believable and incredibly moving. Thank you.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Andre, I'm a bit slow in commenting about the last two chapters, having been otherwise occupied.

Both chapters, as usual, are very well written (and edited). In Chapter 17 we see Jamie Jnr and 'Fi' getting used to their new home and surroundings, but not without some some issues along the way. It appears that some lasting effects of losing their mum Beth and Nicky may require some professional help.

The visit of Jamie Snr and Iona from Scotland appeared to be not only what Jamie Jnr and 'Fi' need to reassure them that their greater family will be with them, but also to assure Jamie Snr and Iona that the children will stay connected to them as Grandparents and to their heritage as members of Clan Cameron.

There is an unsettling feeling as this chapter closes with the Grandparents leaving to return to Scotland. It is in the words that Iona says to Ryan and Andrew: "My heart is at peace. Beth made the right decision to let you have the bairns. I was not so sure, but having seen them here with you, I know now that she was right. It is for the best that they are with their fathers. They are happy and contented. I have seen they lack for nothing and they get a lot a love and attention. So I am happy! Thank you both for everything. For giving us our grandchildren, for caring and loving them as you do, and for this lovely visit. I am forever in your debt, both of you."

Those words, and the 'tone' behind them, are ones that I've felt before. Part of it is that parents don't expect to bury their children, that it's supposed to be the other way around. Many parents in their 50's or older, don't expect to have to raise a second family with toddlers, but they are prepared to do whatever is required for their grandchildren. That however weighs heavily on them both in body and spirit, as they've not been free to grieve for their own loss.

Iona (and Jamie Snr's) words convey a certain weariness, that having secured Jamie Jnr and Fiona's future, she can now let go. Sincerely hope it's nothing more than that. 🙏🏼

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It’s dramatic when parents have to bury their children and you can’t expect from them to take their small grandkids to live with them. They are grandparents not parents. It’s a good thing the children had thank God have their dads.

Iona and Jamie Sr had a great time in South Africa with the grand kids.( that’s how 

It must be)

Andre great job thanks.

Max🇳🇱

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..