Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 16. Chapter 16

A bit of a lighter chapter after the two darker ones before


On arrival at the FBO, the boys were rather surprised at just how nondescript it looked. It consisted of a utilitarian, flat-roofed, single storey building, painted pale grey with darker grey detailing and white framed windows. A sloped, wheelchair friendly walkway with black railings and flower boxes filled with bright pansies, allowed easy access into the facility. The exterior was very different to the impressive buildings they had passed through on their Disneyland trip, and even the FBO in Cape Town. The interior, however, certainly dispelled the utilitarian image.

The floor of the long room, split in two by the entrance lobby, was covered with a thick, striped carpet in shades of brown and cream. Arranged in several groups through the room were various seating areas with light taupe velvet covered couches and armchairs around a dark wood coffee table, with one armchair in each grouping providing a splash of colour in either turquoise or purple. Each grouping also had at least one dark wood, matching side table and a vase of fresh flowers on the coffee table. The cream walls were hung with several original paintings and two large, metal-framed mirrors. An open hearth blazed in one corner of each room. It was warm, very comfortable and homely.

Dan and Joan were already seated at the far end of the room, close to a glass door that opened onto the tarmac. Only one jet was parked out front, painted in the blue and white Kinley Enterprises livery with the distinctive red K on the tail. As they walked the length of the room, both Andrew and Ryan noticed just how much bigger the new jet was and she certainly looked very impressive. Dan and Joan stood up as they approached the seating area.

"Andrew, Ryan. Hi. I'm so pleased you to see you", Joan said in greeting, hugging them both and air - kissing their cheeks. They hugged her as well and shook Dan's hand..

"We cannot thank you enough for inviting us to join you", Ryan said. "Once again, you are spoiling us. We could get used to this".
Joan laughed and threw back her head.

"It's our pleasure, my darlings. What's the use of having something if you cannot use it for good. And it's not that it's any hardship. We certainly have the space and we are going your way". She bent down and greeted the child-ren as well. All four were a bit shy and stayed close to their dads.

"That's for sure", Andrew added, nodding in the direction of the waiting jet. "She is definitely a fair bit bigger than your previous jet, and that was big. What made you decide to sell it and go bigger?
Dan grinned widely.

"We didn't sell her. We still own the Gulfstream as well", he explained, grinning again as Andrew involuntarily raised his eyebrows. "The Gulfstream is now based in Hong Kong, where we have opened a large office to facilitate our expansion in the Far East. Tessa, Brandon and Cassie are out there now. Tessa and Brandon are running the Far East operation and due to their need to get around such a vast area, the board decided that they needed a jet so that they won't be constrained by commercial airline timetables. The Gulfstreams range is perfect for that part of the world. So we bought the Bombardier. She has a longer range, so no matter what the winds do up high, we can still do non-stop to Johannesburg if we had to, which we could not do with the Gulfstream. And, of course, she is state of the art".

Joan touched Ryan's arm.

"Ha, forget range and state of the art! The best thing is it's got a bedroom and bathroom at the rear of the cabin. All the comforts of home". They all laughed at her comment. "But joking aside, it's a more comfortable ride all round. For passengers and crew as well. They have their own rest area for long distance flights, it's equipped with the latest in cockpit gadgetry, and the cabin air quality is better as well"

"And we have both jets listed with a charter company. So it's a business in it's own right as well", Dan added.

"Wow, so big changes", Andrew replied. "We're going to miss Peter, Colin and Michelle. They were so good to us on our previous flights".
Joan grinned and shook her head.

"Oh no you won't. They are still with us, along with an assistant for Michelle. We hired new crew for the Gulf-stream who are based in Hong Kong"
Just then, the CSR approached them.

"Mr & Mrs Kinley, is this the remainder of the party who will be joining you today?", she enquired. Dan nodded.

"Yes lass. Could you please arrange for the porters to get the luggage from their vehicle and have it loaded. Just check what needs to go into the cabin"
Ryan turned to her as well.

"And the car rental company will be coming to collect the car in a couple of minutes. We advised them that we had arrived here". The CSR nodded.

"Certainly, we can deal with them when they arrive. I'll arrange for the porters to collect the luggage and if you could just indicate which pieces need to go into the cabin, we can get it aboard. I'm also going to need your passports".

"I'll do that, babe", Ryan told Andrew as Jamie tugged on Andrew's jeans. He looked down at the little boy.

"Daddy, I'm hungry and I need to pee-pee", he said plaintively.
Andrew picked him up.

"I'm sure Aunty Joan has got some nice food for us on the plane. But let's get you to the toilet and then we can see about something to eat until dinner. Okay?" The little boy nodded. Andrew looked down the the other three. "Why don't you all come with me to use the loo? You won't be able to go until we are in the air", leading them towards the cloakroom doors.

By the time he returned to the departure lounge, stopping off first at a vending machine to buy crisps and a chocolate for each of the children, their luggage was already being loaded onto the plane and he watched as Colin and Michelle carried the cabin luggage up the stairs of the jet. They reappeared a few minutes later, along with a second stewardess, were joined shortly after by Peter Beamish and they all took up position at the bottom of the stairs, facing the tail.
The CSR approached again to return their passports and added,

"We are ready to board you now. This way please?"

Andrew and Ryan each took two children by the hand and they followed Dan, Joan and the CSR through the double glass doors and out onto the tarmac. The gleaming jet was parked just a short walk fron the door, the port wingtip mere metres from the building. The four crew members visibly straightened as they appeared, smiling in welcome. Joan and Dan greeted each one with a handshake, chatting briefly with each one. Andrew grinned.

"It's like royalty greeting their subjects", the thought flashing through his mind, as their hosts made their way up the stairs into the brightly lit cabin.
Peter, Colin and Michelle all beamed that the Devlin-Majors,

"Andrew, Ryan. Welcome back", Peter said. "We are so sad to hear of your loss". They both shook his hand and those of the other three crew members

"Thank you, Peter. It's good to still here you three around", Ryan replied. "And thank you for your condolences". Ryan looked down at the children, who were all wide-eyed, staring at the jet.

"You know Cameron and Elizabeth. And this is Jamie and Fiona".
Peter smiled down at them.

"Hi kids. Welcome". He looked up at the boys and then at the two ladies. "Oh yes. Michelle you know already. The young lady with her is Alison, our newest crew member. She will be assisting Michelle in the cabin. Allie, Ryan and Andrew Devlin-Major", he said, introducing them to her. "Now let's get on board and out of the cold".

Peter led the way up the stairs, the other crew boarding behind them. The boarding door opened into a surprisingly large, well equipped galley with WC between the galley and the cockpit. A quick glance confirmed that the galley had all the mod cons required to produce first class meals. Immediately on the left was the dedicated crew rest area, a single wide seat that could fold almost flat, with a privacy curtain. The remaining cabin space was divided into three distinct areas.
Twelve luxuriously comfortable seats, upholstered in cream leather, occupied the front half of the cabin, with four rows in a club-style layout with two seats on the port side and single seats on the starboard si
de. Each pair of facing rows had a narrow console between them, and a table that folded out for meals from the side wall storage compartment. Each seat had a personal entertainment device that lifted out of the consoles on an arm that allowed the devices to be properly positioned for viewing.
Further aft, roughly over the wings, was an entertainment area consisting of a long couch in the same cream upholstery, on the port side, and a console the same length on the starboard side contained a large pop-up TV, small refrigerator for drinks and water, and three drawers stocked with snacks - a selection of chocolate bars, crisps, and a selection of nuts and dried fruit.
The final area was the bedroom which had a full length double bed on the port side, a dressing table with mirror and another seat. The bathroom was situated further aft, just ahead of the engines, in the tail section of the fuselage, with a large shower, vanity and WC.
The floor throughout was carpeted in deep blue with a cream geometric pattern. The side walls were veneered to just below the windows in the same wood as the bulkheads between the cabins, while the side walls above that was finished in beige, with matching window covers. It was very understated, but luxurious at the same time and the seats were supremely comfortable.

Dan and Joan were already seated in the first pair of double Club seats, so Michelle and Alison got them settled into the row behind them, the four children in the double club pair facing one another and Andrew and Ryan across the aisle in the single pair. They pulled out the entertainment devices and got some cartoons going for the children to keep them occupied and distracted for the takeoff.

Alison was doing the safety briefing, while Michelle secured the boarding door and stairs., as the motors began spooling up behind them, first the starboard engine and then the port one. The lights were dimmed, Michelle took the crew rest seat, while Alison went aft to the entertainment area and sat on one of the couches.

A few minutes later after a short taxi to the end of the runway, they roared down down the runway in a short, very powerful takeoff run. The noise diminished as the wheels left the runway and they rocketed up into the black Scottish night, on a southerly heading, entering cloud soon after leaving the ground. There was some turbulence as they passed through the cloud, but it was only a few minutes before they were flying above the cloud and the turbulence was a thing of the past. Ten minutes later they levelled off at their cruising height of 49000ft or almost 15000meters on a slight southeasterly course for Cape Town.

The route would take them down the length of England, from Inverness, passing slightly west of Edinburgh , almost directly over Manchester and leaving Britain between Portsmouth and Brighton, across the channel and making French landfall over Normandy, crossing France and Spain before heading out over the Mediterranean east of Barcelona., over the island of Mallorca. From there the route over Africa would be Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Gabon, Angola and Namibia before crossing the South African border and heading for Cape Town. They would be in the air for just over twelve hours.

Even before reaching cruise altitude, Michelle and Alison were already making sure they were comfortable. Drinks were served to the adults and the children had soft drinks or fruit juice in front of them and were engrossed in their cartoons. Every now and then Andrew thought he caught a whiff of a very familiar aroma, but couldn't quite put his finger on it.
Joan left her seat and perched on the side console between the boys seats.

"We considered doing an a la Carte dinner menu, but then I thought as we had four children on board, and that it is quite late already, to rather keep it simple, to maximise our resting time. So I just had the caterers load Tagliatelle with a Bolognese sauce, Herb Rolls & Salad, and Chicken & Mushroom Pie with new potatoes and vegetables. There's Malva Pudding in the oven and ice cream or custard"

"That's what it was!", Andrew exclaimed. "I thought I smelled something I knew".He glanced sideways at Ryan, who was grinning happily. "Joan spoils you! She knows how you feel about malva."

"Damn right", Ryan answered, still grinning. "Thank you Joan".

"You're welcome Ryan". She looked up as Michelle appeared at their seats. "I was just telling them about the dinner arrangements, Shelley. I think you can take orders now. Let's get dinner done and we can all take it easy. Andrew, the caterers loaded a small selection of English wines. Why don't you have a quick look and choose some for us to drink with dinner. Shelley will show you where they are".

Andrew checked with the children as to what they wanted to eat. Pasta for Cam and Elizabeth, chicken pie for Jamie and Fiona. They all wanted ice cream for dessert. Ryan ordered the pasta so Andrew opted for the chicken, knowing they would end up sharing anyway. Of course Ryan had to have malva and ice cream and custard, while Andrew ordered the malva with custard.

He then followed Michelle to the galley where the wines had been stored. Four wines had been provided. Two whites, a rosè, and a Pinot Noir. For Andrew the choice was a no-brainer. The Pinot Noir from the Bolney Estate in Sussex was his first choice along with the Kit's Coty Chardonnay from the Chapel Down Estate in Kent.

Michelle was back a few minutes later to fold out the tables and get them set with white linen cloths, the required cutlery and glassware and individual salt and pepper cellars and when she was done, she brought out the wines for Andrew to taste before pouring them.

The Pinot Noir was not as full bodied as his favourite Hamilton Russell, but was very drinkable and paired well with the pasta and, surprisingly, the chicken. However, in his opinion, the Chardonnay was the star, being complex with hints of hazelnut and fresh apple with buttery notes from its second fermentation in French oak casks.

Michelle served the children first as they were already looking sleepy, and then dealt with the adults, who chatted amongst one another even though they could not really see one another. After a simple, but very enjoyable dinner, Michelle and Alison cleared the tables, stowed them and while Alison returned to thegalley to brew coffee, Michelle began preparing the cabin for the night.
Joan leaned over her seat to speak to them.

"Don't you boys want to take the children to the bedroom and let them sleep there?", she suggested.
Andrew immediately balked at the idea.

"No, definitely not, Joan. We appreciate the offer, but the bedroom is yours and Dan's". When Joan opened the mouth to say something, Andrew held up his hand.

"No arguments, this one you won't win. You and Dan will sleep in the bedroom. The kids will be quite comfortable on the seats, as will Ry and myself. This is your aircraft, and you will get the privilege of sleeping in the bedroom". She grinned and held up her hand.

"Alright, I will respect your decision. But take them back there and get them changed into their night clothes. And use the bathroom. Shelley can get their beds ready while your are away".
Andrew nodded.

"That we can do. Thank you". Looking over at the children he said "Come along you lot. Let's get you changed for bed". Ryan stood up as well and they shepherded the four children to the rear bedroom, taking the carry-on with them. It took almost half an hour to get them changed and brush their teeth, and when they passed through the entertainment cabin, their hosts were sitting on the long couch drinking coffee.
Two additional cups waited on the table for Andrew and Ryan. The massive TV was turned on, showing the moving map of their progress, and a quick glance showed them over the south of France near Toulouse. When they got back into the main cabin, it was almost ready for the night.

Michelle and Alison were at the boys seats, which had been lowered into the fully flat position, making up their beds for the night. The childrens beds were already made up, so Andrew and Ryan got them settled and sat with them until Michelle and Alison were finished across the aisle. As they left they turned on the bedside lamps and turned off the main cabin lights, closed the sliding bulkhead to the galley, leaving the cabin dimly lit. They kissed the children goodnight.

"Daddy and I are going to have some coffee with Uncle Dan and Aunty Joan. We will be right there through that door if you need us", Ryan told them. "But try to get some sleep".

"Yes dad, goodnight. Night daddy", they all chorused and snuggled deeper under the duvets that covered them.

They had a quick cup of excellent coffee with their hosts, thanked them once again for their hospitality,and after using the forward cloakroom, also retired for the night, the barely perceptible hum of the engines lulling them to sleep.

When Andrew woke, the moving map on the forward bulkhead showed them to be at 49000ft, and over northern Angola, while the time to destination showed that they were still 4.5 hours out of Cape Town. He opened the window shade slightly and peered out. The African dawn sky was already showing off, boasting pink, purple and orange hues edged with bright sky blue above.. A few wispy clouds floated far below. The landscape was still in darkness, the sun having not yet risen high enough to bring dawn to the tropical savannah below.
He stretched, careful not to wake Ryan, and swung his legs off his bed to use the bathroom, grabbing his toiletry bag and fresh clothing at the same time. He padded forward on bare feet and opened the sliding door, startling Alison, who was humming to herself while doing breakfast preparation in the galley. The cockpit door at the end of the short aisle forward of the main cabin door was open and he glimpsed both pilots in their seats monitoring their progress. He breathed in the aromas of freshly brewing coffee and baking pastries in the oven.

"Oh, Mr Devlin-Major, you gave me a fright. Good morning. Did you sleep well?
"Morning Alison. Yes, very well indeed. Unfortunately my internal alarm clock doesn't. Is anyone else awake?, he enquired.
Alison nodded.

"Yes, both Peter and Colin are up. They both managed to get a few hours rest during the night, but they are both back in the cockpit. I was just about to take them some coffee. Would you like a cup as well?

"Yes please. But tea, if you don't mind. Too early for coffee for me. But take Peter and Colin their coffee first. I just want to go the the cloakroom and freshen up a bit. You might as well pour Ryan a cup of coffee as well. I need to wake him when I get back".

"Sure, no problem. I'll bring it to your seats once you are done in the bathroom", Alison replied, just as a muted chime sounded, accompanied by a light flashing on panel with all the various sections of the cabin. The light was next to label marked 'Bedroom'.

"Ah, that's Mr and Mrs Kinley. Seems they are awake as well. So they will be wanting coffee as well"

"I'll leave you at it then. You've got a bit to do". Andrew moved through the entrance foyer and opened the panelled door to the forward bathroom on the port side of the jet. The bathroom was small, as expected, but was very well appointed and well lit. Fifteen minutes later, he stepped out having freshened up and dressed for their arrival.
Andrew found the children awake, but still in bed, sipping mugs of hot chocolate. He stopped and gave each one of them a kiss on the forehead, and sat on the edge of one of the beds. Jamie crawled to him and sat on his lap. From where he was sitting he could see Ryan sitting on the long couch in the entertainment suite of the plane.

"Morning my angels. Is Alison spoiling you?" Four little heads nodded and replied "Good morning, daddy" in unison.

"Good. Now drink your hot chocolate. Dad and I will come get you one by one to get you dressed". He ruffled Jamie's dark hair, put him back on the bed. He stood up and moved to where Ryan was watching SkyNews on the TV and sipping his coffee. Andrew's cup was on a tray, the spout of the teapot emitting tendrils of steam. He kissed Ryan on the cheek.

"Morning, my love".

"Morning babe", Ryan replied, smiling. "All bright-eyed and bushy tailed, I see. How long have you been up?"

"About half an hour, I think. You know me. Once I'm awake, I have to get going". He glanced at the TV, where the top left corner showed their route map. He was stunned to see that they were flying at almost fifty thousand feet.

"I've told the children that they must drink up so that we can start getting then dressed. It's going to take a little while. We can only do one at a time. The forward bathroom is not very big".

"Joan popped her head out of the bedroom a little while ago and said that as soon as she and Dan are dressed, one of the stewardesses will refresh their bathroom and we can use that one as well", Ryan told him.

"Oh, great. That will make things a bit easier. Are you going to use the shower as well?", Andrew asked. Ryan shook his head.

"No, I'll just freshen up. I want to have a nice long shower with you when we get home. I've missed our showers together". Andrew laughed.

"I know how you feel. I've missed them too".

"I think we must get ourselves organised and start with the children. We're just under three hours from home and there's still breakfast to come as well", Ryan added, looking over Andrew's head. "Hi Peter, good morning". Andrew turned his head as Peter entered the suite.

"Morning Ryan, morning Andrew. How are you enjoying the flight?", he enquired.

"It been amazing, Peter, thank you", Andrew replied. "She's really comfortable, no turbulence at all since we took off. Are we really at fifty thousand? I thought most jet aircraft fly at about forty thousand"
Peter grinned.

"That's what's so fantastic about this baby! She flies faster, further and higher than any jet in her class. That height is the main reason there's no turbulence. We are way above everything. Not that we don't get turbulence up here. But it's very rare. Her maximum operating height is 51000 which we flew between Miami and London"
The bedroom door slid open and Joan came out followed by Dan.

"Morning ma'am. Morning boss. I was actually just on my way to tell you will will beginning our descent in a few minutes. Taking it nice and slow. We're still a couple of hours out, so there is no rush to prepare for landing. The weather in Cape Town is sunny and warm, but there's a very strong southeaster blowing, so it might get a bit bumpy as we get closer to Cape Town", he advised his employers as Michelle joined them as well, greeting everyone .

"Morning Peter, thanks for the update", Dan replied "I'm really impressed! The soundproofing is awesome. I was concerned it would be a bit noisy back here. We're almost right between the engines in the bedroom, and yet all we were aware of was a slight hum, which was actually quite relaxing. It's more noticeable in the bathroom, but not that much more. So yeah, I'm very impressed with this baby".

"Well, I can tell you, she's a dream to fly. Speaking of which, I must get back to the cockpit. Excuse me". He turned and made his way forward, stopping to chat with the children on the way.
Joan turned to Michelle.

"Shelley, be a dear and give the bathroom a quick refresh. Just fresh towels and some more guest soaps and shampoo. Then the boys can get the children organised and we can have breakfast".

"Certainly Mrs Kinley.. That's the reason I came back here. It will just be a few minutes", she replied, entering the bedroom.

Their hosts sat down when Alison brought a tray with more coffee and tea and they chatted with Andrew and Ryan until Michelle advised that the bathroom was ready. She returned to the galley to help with preparing breakfast and between them Andrew and Ryan got the children cleaned up and dressed.

By the time they returned to the main cabin, the seats were all back in their normal positions, only now a table filled the space between the seats, extending from wall to wall across the aisle. Two folding chairs occupied the space where the aisle would normally be, and the table was set for breakfast.

Jamie and Fiona were given the two smaller chairs with Cameron and Elizabeth next to them . The adults took their seats on either side of the children at the window seats.

Once again, Joan had thought of the children. Breakfast was a choice of maple drenched flapjacks with bacon and link sausages, or full English. As expected the 'children' all opted for the pancakes, including Ryan, while Dan, Joan and Andrew ordered the English. Fresh orange juice, pastries tea and coffee accompanied the meal.

Once breakfast was over, they all sat in the entertainment suite watching a short animated movie while
Michelle and Alison got the cabin to rights. When they flew over the Orange River, the South Africa - Namibia border, Colin came back to request that they all be seated for the approach and landing, repeating what Peter had told them earlier about the very strong southeaster, and its potential to make the arrival more bumpy. Mindful of the children, Andrew and Ryan split up, Ryan sitting with Cameron, Elizabeth and Fiona in a four seater club, and Andrew had Jamie next to him.
It was indeed the case that as they descended and few closer to Cape Town, the turbulence increased. Not enough to make things uncomfortable, but noticeable nevertheless. Fortunately, the wind was almost on the nose and the approach was made straight in from the north. Through the cabin windows, they could see the 'table-cloth', the thick layer of cloud that covered the summit of Table Mountain and the whitecaps on the surface of Table Bay. Andrew couldn't remember what 'Belle Catherines' schedule was, but he hoped she was not at sea, as it would not be a pleasant experience.

Peter did a great job with a difficult landing, settling the jet onto the runway a bit more firmly than normal and as they turned onto the taxiway, the jet was buffeted but the wind until they turned once again to take the wind on the tail. A few minutes later they were marshalled to a stop in front of the Signature FBO at Cape Town Inter-national. The engines wound down until the only sound was the air conditioning.

Colin emerged out of the cockpit, shrugging into his uniform jacket and straightening his tie, then pressed a button that lowered the boarding stairs with a whine. Two immigration officials stepped on board, gave their documents a cursory examination and stamped them into the country, while porters were unloading the baggage locker under the tail.
They all gathered up their belongings and disembarked into the FBO terminal a short walk away, where they were processed through customs, again with only a cursory question of "Anything to declare", and within fifteen minutes of landing, they stepped out into the lounge of the FBO, to be met by David and Janice, a very excited Rascal and the drivers from The Cameron and Blue Bay.

Rascal all but leapt out of Janice's arms when he saw them, and he scampered to them as fast as his little legs could carry him, ears flying and tongue lolling, a happy doggy smile on his face. He ran circles around them, whimpering excitedly until Ryan managed to grab hold of him to pick him up. He immediately got wet kisses from the puppy who squirmed in his arms like an eel. Ryan put him down again and after running to Andrew to get loves, it was the childrens turn. Cameron tried to pick him up but he was far more interested in the new faces and he leapt into Jamie's arms when the little boy bent down to pick him up, who promptly also got several lick kisses and he giggled with happiness. Fiona scratched Rascal under his throat and behind his ears and Rascal tried to lick her face as well. The whole group was grinning at the puppy's exuberance, soo happy that his people were home,

Out front under the portico, the two courtesy vehicles and Davids SUV stood awaiting their passengers and while the drivers and porters loaded the luggage, ensuring that the Kinleys bags were on the Blue Bay bus, the Devlin-Majors said their farewells, albeit temporary, to the Kinleys and thanked them, before they boarded their respective vehicles and driving away. Andrew called Claude as they exited the airport to arrange for the Kinleys stay to be on a complimentary bed and breakfast basis. They would not be sailing on 'Belle Catherine' on this trip, but would stay at Blue Bay Lodge for two weeks before flying up to the tented game lodge they had stayed at previously. They would be coming to the house for dinner and had made tentative arrangements to go out to dinner together while they were in Cape Town.

The three vehicles drove almost in convoy most of the way, the Kinleys driving on to Blue Bay when the Devlin-Majors turned off Beach Boulevard towards the house.

Andrew was pleased to see Yvonne open the front door when they stopped in the driveway, beaming a welcom-ing smile. After Cameron and Elizabeth had both hugged her, they introduced her to Jamie and Fiona who both got a hug from her, and then the four children dashed upstairs to the bedroom wing with Rascal in hot pursuit, barking happily.
Between the five adults, the luggage was all taken to the master suite and while Yvonne went back downstairs to make tea and coffee, parents and grandparents followed the sound of childrens voices to Cameron and Elizabeths bedrooms. Cameron ran to them when they walked into the room.

"Dad, daddy, can Jamie and Fiona share our bedrooms with us", Cameron asked eagerly, his blue eyes shining. Andrew felt his heart swell in his chest. His eldest son was so much like his dad, it was scary - so thoughtful and caring. Glancing at Ryan he could tell Ryan was deeply affected as well. He sat on Cameron's bed as the children all gathered in front of him. He addressed Cameron first.

"Have you asked Jamie and Fiona if they want to share, Cam? Maybe they want to be together for a while, or want their own rooms?, Andrew asked him gently. He nodded vigorously.

"Yes daddy. Jamie wants to share with me and Fiona wants to share with Lisbeth", he replied.
Andrew pulled the two youngest closer to him.

"Is that what you want? To share with Cameron and Elizabeth. You can have your own bedrooms if you want. ". Two little heads nodded and Jamie added,

"Just for a little while, daddy. Not forever", Jamie told him, his voice soft and uncertain. Andrew reached out and drew Jamie and Fiona into his arms.

"If that's what you want, and your brother and sister agree then your dad and I are happy with that. You will have to share beds tonight. Tomorrow when we have all had a good rest, we can go shopping for new beds for all of you. How's that sound?".
Four heads nodded in unison. He pulled Cameron and Elizabeth closer as well.

"Group hug! Group hug!", Andrew sang out, beckoning Ryan, Janice and David closer, and they all joined for a hug with the children in the middle, resulting in delighted little goggles from them.

With the sleeping arrangements settled for the immediate future, Andrew felt he could breathe easier. He had been just slightly concerned about the sleeping arrangements, but his children had worked it all out by them-selves, leaving him feeling justifiably proud of them. Tomorrow they would start the huge task of completely integrating Jamie and Fiona into their lives.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 33
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very pleasant journey with only minor turbulence bumps.

I also learned that there are several meanings of the word "homely" radically differrent from the only one I knew here in the US, namely, "lacking in beauty or elegance, plain in appearance, physically unattractive." Thank you for broadening my understanding.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

A great journey home thanks to their friends the Kinleys. 

Good old Rascal I can just see his excitement at seeing his family home again.

Hopefully everything will settle down quickly into adapting to a larger family but already the older children are leading the way into making the new arrivals stay pleasurable.

Where do the jet staff stay for the fortnight?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 5/29/2022 at 6:06 PM, chris191070 said:

A nice light chapter, after the difficult chapters.

They had a fantastic journey home on that plane. It looks like the children are sorting things out for themselves, which will help with Jaime and Fiona settling in.

The twins are already displaying many of their dads personality traits. Practical, thoughtful, giving. They are just paying forward the manner in which they have been raised.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Andre Delport said:

In my minds eye, the children have always been close. The twins have been interacting with Jamie and Fiona from birth, albeit from a distance since they moved to Scotland. Cameron and Elizabeth are just being big brother and sister.

There is a big difference in connecting via computer and living in the same space daily.  I don't foresee difficulty at this point and they have been offered separate rooms when and if that becomes necessary.  I do believe that they will choose to stay together for quite a while until dating comes into play...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 5/30/2022 at 12:09 PM, mansexlover said:

A great journey home thanks to their friends the Kinleys. 

Good old Rascal I can just see his excitement at seeing his family home again.

Hopefully everything will settle down quickly into adapting to a larger family but already the older children are leading the way into making the new arrivals stay pleasurable.

Where do the jet staff stay for the fortnight?

OOOPS! Well spotted @mansexlover, It got omitted in the final edit. I wanted to move it somewhere else in the narrative and somehow forgot to add it back in after copying it. They are staying at The Cameron for the duration as they are also on vacation. One of the perks of their employment. I will refer to it in the next chapter

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I am pleased to see the expanded family return home, and particularly pleased to see they were greeted with such joy and adoration by my favourite Devlin-Major family member, the beloved little Rascal. Your description of his exuberance to have his humans home brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy @Andre Delport. My late beloved boy, Bassey, would always greet me upon arrival home with head butts and beautiful cat kisses.

The integration of Jamie and Fiona into their new home has started smoothly, no doubt helped by the delightful little dachshund. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It's time to start a new chapter in the Devlin-Major's lives.  Just think of all the fun they'll have running after four children.  Lol.  Oh!  If you mentioned it, I missed it.  But what are the last names of James and Fiona?  Are they going to take the names of the dads?  Okay! I know it's none of my business at this point. but it never hurt to ask.  Lol.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Andre, apologies for being slow to respond, but I've been taking my time re-reading the last two chapters :read: to let your words wrap themselves around me like a warm duvet. You continue to imbue each chapter with heart, feelings, and as the French say, a certain Je ne sais quoi.  

It appears that Andrew, Ryan and now all four children have another set of Guardian Angels looking over them. Aunt Joan and Uncle Dan (to borrow a Texas saying) 'rode to their rescue' just when needed.  I was not surprised. 

Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..