Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings of any graphic or contentious content will be placed before the chapter concerned

Never walk alone- Walk on - 22. Chapter 22


June passed in a blur, at least that is how it seemed to Andrew. The Cape had settled into its usual winrer weather pattern of north- westerly cold fronts, accompanied by gale force winds, turbulent seas and driving rain, interspersed with short periods of cool, sunny days under clear blue skies, and as the day of Claude and François wedding drew nearer, everyone was keeping a very close watch on the weather prospects. A week before the wedding, it appeared that it was going to be a very close thing. A cold front was expected to hit Cape Town on the Thursday, but should have moved on by Saturday. If , however, the front stalled, as they had been known to do, then the day could very well be just like a baby - wet and windy!

The cold front arrived as predicted early on the Thursday morning and everyone held their collective breath as Friday remained very stormy. It abated somewhat on Friday evening and by early Saturday morning it had stopped raining and small patches of blue began appearing between the gray scudding clouds. The ceremony was due for 11.00am, and by 10.00am, to the relief of all, blue was the prominent hue in the skies above Cape Town, although it was still quite cool.
Andrew was keeping a watchful eye on the weather as he bustled around the kitchen preparing breakfast. Claude and François had surprised them two weeks prior by requesting that the children be part of the ceremony by walking ahead of the bridal couple, the girls strewing rose petals on the red carpet as they entered and left the ceremony venue, while the boys would carry the two cushions with the rings. All four had taken their tasks very seriously and after Andrew had demonstrated what had to be done, they had practiced walking up and down an imaginary red carpet in the lounge with baskets of paper scraps in lieu of petals, and scatter cushions off the couch, the proviso being that that all pick up all the paper when they were done with the practice.
Andrew's face broke out on a happy smile as he heard the chatter of excited voices coming down the stairs and moments later Rascal bounded into the kitchen to dance around Andrew's feet, followed by the children, all still in their pyjamas, ahead of Ryan who, like Andrew, wore a bathrobe. Jamie ran into his dads arms as soon as he saw him.

"Good morning daddy", he said, smiling brightly.

"Good morning, baby boy. Are you all ready for today?" Jamie glanced quickly at his brother and sisters then nodded energetically.

"Yes daddy. When can we get dressed?"

"I think you must have something to eat first. Then you can all have a bath or shower before you get dressed in your wedding clothes. There is no rush. We have plenty of time".
Getting five nods of agreement from his family, he gently lowered Jamie onto his feet, and looked at Ryan.

"My love, will you get them organised with cereal. There is fruit juice on the dining room table. I'll bring some toast, scrambled eggs and bacon in a few minutes."

Ryan herded them to the dining room accompanied by lots of chatter about the wedding. Breakfast was accomplished fairly quickly and then Andrew got Elizabeth and Fiona into the bath. François was coming round, personally, to do the girls hair, so Andrew did not want to keep him unnecessarily, as he had to get ready for his big day as well. He was also dropping off Toby, their little dachsund and Rascal's big mate, who would be staying with them while Claude and François were away on honeymoon. He arrived on time, with the girls dresses, bowties and cummerbunds for the boys, and Toby tucked into his free arm, had a quick cup of coffee, then sat the girls in front of the mirror of the dressing table in their room, banishing everyone else from the room and proceeded to do his magic. Rascal and Toby scampered off to explore the garden, the two canine friends very happy to be together again.

Less than forty-five minutes later, François flung open the door with a flourish, proclaiming airily,

"Ze princesses are ready! My work here is done. Au revoir, mes amis. François will see you later!", he told them, mincing down the stairs from the bedrooms. He waved breezily and disappeared down to the front door. Moments later, they heard him drive away. Ryan just shook his head!

"You would never say that man is getting married in less than two hours. He's so remarkably cool, calm and collec.....ted", he said, doing a double take as his two daughters appeared on the stairs, taking his breath away in the process. Andrew, who was standing with his back to the stairs turned to see what his husband was looking at, and was similarly awestruck.

Elizabeth and Fiona looked absolutely stunning, sophisticated, but still their little girls. François had not only coiffed their hair, but had added just a smidgen of makeup on their cheeks, eyes and lips, and had helped them get dressed as well. They did indeed look like two princesses, and they both knew it! Their wide smiles said it all! Elizabeth's sandy tresses and Fiona's blonde ones styled slightly up and falling in ringlets at the back and the sides of their faces. The makeup was so subtle, but enhanced their features without it overpowering them. And the emerald green midi length dresses they wore fitted to perfection.

"Oh my word, don't you two look amazing!", Andrew told them, his emotions threatening to spill over. The girls looked so much like their grandmothers, it was uncanny, and his thoughts immediately went to his mother when he looked at Elizabeth. And Janice was in for a huge surprise when she saw Fiona. Her young facial features clearly exhibiting traits from Beth, but the shape of the face and her eyes were clearly from Janice. Andrew's thoughts were interrupted my Jamie, tugging on his hand.

"Daddy, can me and Cam get dressed too? Pleeeeease! " He bent down to his son's height.

"Yes, of course you can. In fact, we must all start getting dressed. Ry my love, will you take two breakfast bar stools up to our bedroom. Elizabeth and Fiona can sit on them to watch TV while you get ready. And their dresses won't get creased if they are hanging around the stools. I'll get Cam and Jamie dressed and then come and get dressed myself".

An hour later, and they were all heading for Ryan's SUV. Cameron and Jamie were now attired in black trousers and white shirts. Adding some colour to their outfits, they wore black waistcoats with shiny emerald embroidery, emerald cummerbunds and bowties. Their dads were similarly dressed in black trousers and white shirts, and in homage to another wedding eight years previously in which Claude had played a major role, the wore the waistcoats that Claude had provided for them on that day. Andrew carried a mound of coats and jackets in the event they got cold, and after organising the girls to minimise any creasing of their dresses, they set off for the wedding venue.

The day had continued to brighten, although it remained windy and cool, so they were pleasantly surprised, on arrival, to find that the venue, being so close to Table Mountain, was actually fairy sheltered, with only a cool breeze in evidence.
Claude's Devlin-Major 'family' were well represented for the nuptials. David and Janice had already arrived, Janice tearing up when she saw her grandchildren, as had Darren and Kerry, and while they were chatting to them, sipping arrival Kir Royale cocktails, Richard arrived in the Blue Bay guest van with his new girlfriend, Gail, and a contigent of lucky staff members from both Blue Bay and The Cameron who were working with, or had worked with, Claude. In all the group from Devlin-Major made up almost half the guest list. The remainder were either friends of the bridal couple or clients of François.
Shortly before 11am, Claude came out to greet everyone and to request that they take their seats in the ceremony venue, which turned out to be the covered patio seeing as the weather was co-operating. Claude took up his position the the end of the red carpet at the back of the room, with Elizabeth and Fiona ahead of Cameron and Jamie standing in front of him. As Mendelson's Wedding March rang out through the sound system, François stepped out of the main building and joined Claude. This was the signal for the girls to begin their walk down the aisle with their baskets of petals, and when they were halfway down the boys followed them with Claude and François bringing up the rear. Once the girls reached the front they went to sit their dads who were in the front row, looking on proudly. There were two more baskets tucked under the chairs for them when the time came for the guests to congratulate the happy couple.

Cameron and Jamie separated when they reached the front, taking up positions behind, and on either side of Claude and François, Jamie chewing the inside of his cheek nervously. His eyes flicked sideways to Andrew who grinned and gave him a thumbs up, and that seemed to settle him.

The ceremony was very brief and twenty minutes later, Claude and François were being introduced as husband and husband, to enthusiastic applause. Both were teary, but smiling broadly as they walked back down the aisle and the stairs onto the grass, followed by Elizabeth and Fiona, and their guests. Rose petals were tossed at the happy couple and congratulations passed on, and then they moved off to have the photos taken in the garden. By request, Andrew and Ryan accompanied them for a few photographs, and once all had been done that they and the children were part of, they returned to the venue for refreshments and drinks.

In deference to their guests, Claude and François only kept their guests waiting for slightly over thirty minutes. The event coordinator opened the reception venue doors and requested that everyone take their seats in preparation for the arrival of the newly weds.

The venue had five round tables that had been set up for ten guests each with the main table surrounded
by the remaining four. Being a party of ten, the Devlin-Major group had one table to themselves, while the personnel from The Cameron and Blue Bay occupied another. The remaining two tables were all friends of the bridal couple. Claude and François opted to have François clients share the main table with them when Andrew and Ryan had politely turned them down to sit at the same table as David, Janice and the children.

Claude and François were enthusiastically welcomed back to their special day, and within a few minutes of them taking their places in the centre of the room, wine and champagne was being offered and beverage orders taken.

Plated hors d'oeuvres were served soon after, a choice of Cumin & Orange scented Butternut Soup or Smoked Fish Trio, consisting of Smoked Snoek Terrine, Smoked Salmon timbale and Smoked Mackerel with Apple, or Roasted Beetroot, Butternut and Feta Salad with a Balsamic dressing, and the selection was spread evenly amongst the adults at the table. Cameron and Elizabeth both wanted the soup, giving Andrew a momentary panic attack with visions of orange splotches all over Elizabeth's dress, so he made sure she was well covered up. Fiona and Jamie, unsure of what they wanted, just shared their dads plates and also got some soup from Janice and David.

The speeches were all done after the hors d'oeuvres had been cleared and the buffet was opened immediately after, the bridal table leading the way.
The buffet was unusual in that, instead of the normal meat roasts, there was a selection of small cuts of protein. Fillet mignon, mini Entrecòte, Chicken Breast, and Lamb Cutlets, Baby Sole and gougons of Kingklip, as well as huge brown mushrooms and slices of aubergine for any vegetarians, which were grilled by two chefs manning two fiercely hot grills. There was an array of sauces and gravies to go with it as well as the usual potatoes, rice, hot vegetables and salads. When the concept was discussed at the initial meeting with the event coordinator, Andrew was concerned that the service might be a bit slow, but he was assured that it would not be the case. And the coordinator was absolutely correct. The entire operation was conducted quickly and efficiently and everyone had their main courses in very short order.
The dessert table was dominated by an impressive Croquenbouche, or French Wedding Cake, consisting of a tower of small profiteroles with three fillings - classic Crème Anglaise, chocolate mousse and caramel mousse, each profiterole carefully arranged after being dipped into hot melted sugar. A cocoon of golden spun sugar encased the confection, it was dusted with edible gold leaf and a large rainbow bow placed on top. It was spectacular! Also on the dessert table was tiny individual cheesecakes, an ice cream bar and a hot Cape Brandy Pudding with custard or cream. Coffee and tea were served to the tables.
Although no dancing had been planned, the bridal couple were cajoled onto a waltz and were joined by most of their guests, including the children. By 5pm the celebration was winding down with Claude and François saying their farewells and heading for The Cameron where Andrew had arranged a suite for them to rest in prior to their Air Mauritius flight later that night. Andrew and Ryan had left all the relevant documents that the newly weds would need for their flights and hotel accommodation in the suite. The Devlin-Majors were home just after 6pm.

The intervening weeks were hectic, to say the least. The boys still had to go into the office every day after dropping the children at their respective schools. But there was a myriad of small, niggly things that had to be seen to.

On the Monday after the wedding, they dropped Jamie and Fiona at day-school, and then took Cameron and Elizabeth to school, where their dads had a meeting with the principal. The delay of the George Cross ceremony was causing a small problem in that, had the ceremony taken place when it was originally scheduled, the children would have been on vacation. With the delay, it meant taking them out of school again for ten days, only two weeks after the schools had reopened following the mid-year break. And so, Andrew and Ryan had to go to the principals office to get approval for the trip.
The principal was not happy but, once they explained the reason for the trip, and agreeing to the twins staying a bit later in after-school care in order to catch up, she reluctantly agreed.

The boys also downloaded a video on the correct way to bow and curtsey to the Queen, and they had a hilarious evening at home perfecting the required form. They had been told that it was not necessary for the children to bow and curtsey but Andrew, being Andrew, was determined that the children would show Her Majesty the required respect, and he was very surprised at how quickly they all got it down pat.
And all too soon, the day of departure arrived. Not without a few small dramas.

Andrew felt very strongly that, even though the event was to honour Beth and Nicky, the mere fact that they were once a part of Clan Cameron meant that the clan had to be represented as well. And so it was decided that they would all wear tartan in one form or another for the ceremony. The two boys were excited to be wearing their kilts with all the regalia that went with it, and the girls were going to wear white dresses with the Cameron sash and brooch. At least that was the plan until both Elizabeth and Fiona decided they preferred the emerald green dresses they wore at Claude and François wedding. Their daddy was of the opinion that the dresses didn't look 'right' with the tartan, but his daughters were adamant. They wanted to wear the emerald green as it looked more like a 'princess' dress, and as Elizabeth put it, "We have to look like princesses if we are going to meet the Queen", which, to Andrew's chagrin, he had no answer to. He and Ryan would don the full formal Cameron regalia as would Donald and Jamie Snr.

On the day of departure, David and Janice arrived at the house just before lunch to drive them to the airport. They had also opted to stay at the house with Rascal and Toby instead of the puppies going to their home and being even further traumatised. Although Andrew wondered who was more traumatised, Rascal or Ryan, who was experiencing huge guilt because they were not taking Rascal with them. He felt he was breaking his promise that Rascal would never be left behind. He did, however, go to the airport with them. Claude and François were due back within two days, so they would collect Toby.

The flight to Edinburgh was smooth, in every way possible. SWISS impressed them a great deal, even possibly usurping Lufthansa as their preferred airline to Europe. The Johannesburg to Zurich leg was delayed by almost thirty minutes due to an errant passenger whose luggage then had to be offloaded. It was of concern because the ninety minute connection time at Zurich was cut to only an hour. Following a superb dinner, a good nights sleep, and an excellent breakfast, they touched down at Zurich's Kloten International Airport at 06h25, only ten minutes late. SWISS, however, had a representative at the door of the aircraft when they disembarked to assist them through the transit procedures and they even had time for coffee and a snack in the lounge before their flight to Edinburgh was called. Needless to say, Andrew and Ryan were very impressed.
Another uneventful flight with yet another breakfast saw them landing at Edinburgh just after 10h00 and they were in their hotel apartment by 11h00. The girls dresses were the first items to be unpacked so that they could hang out. Andrew turned on the shower in the main bedroom and when it was nice and steamy, the dresses were hung on the frame of the shower. Cameron and Jamie's white shirts were also hung up to steam any creases away.

They were all a bit travel-weary, so before taking a nap they went for a short stroll to explore and get their bearings. They stopped for lunch at a pub a few blocks from the apartment and on their return found Donald, Jamie and Iona just checking in, the Scottish grandparents wanting to be close to their family. Ken and Jenny had also arrived and were staying at the Radisson Blu, not far from the apartment.
An emotional, but joyous reunion took place in the lobby particularly between Jamie Jnr, Fiona and their grandparents, and after making arrangements to meet for dinner, they were all soon having a lie down to charge their batteries. Andrew arranged with housekeeping to give the girls dresses a final pressing.

They had an early dinner at a pub between the apartment and the Radisson Blu, where Ken and Jenny joined them for another happy reunion. The evening was mostly a happy one although both Iona and Jenny were a bit misty-eyed at stages during the meal. It was difficult for any of them to forget the real reason for them being together. After agreeing to meet up with Ken and Jenny the next morning for breakfast at their hotel, they made their way back to their lodgings.

The morning of the ceremony dawned clear and bright. Andrew and Ryan had done any packing that was necessary before going to bed the previous night, as they would be checking out on departure for breakfast and would drive to Achnacarry immediately after the ceremony. Deciding to live dangerously, they got the children dressed in the clothes they would be going to the ceremony in, crossing their fingers that they would remain stain and dirt free until then.

Donald, Iona and Jamie Snr came down from their rooms to meet them, and there were more tears from Iona on seeing her four grandchildren in their finery, as well as appreciative nods and grins from Donald and Jamie Snr. Iona was wearing a mid-calf black dress with the Clan Cameron sash held by a silver pin at her waist.

When they stepped out of the elevator into the lobby, there was a momentary lull in conversation as the guests who were in the lobby noticed the well dressed group. Andrew could not contain his grin as he noticed his two daughters preen in the limelight, taking it all in their stride and totally enchanting everyone.
As they were standing at the reception desk, a middle aged lady who was also checking out looked at Elizabeth and said,

"My word, don't you girls look so pretty! Just like princesses!"
Without batting an eyelid, Elizabeth replied very seriously,

"But we are princesses. We're going to see the queen", to which the lady smiled indulgently.

"I'm sure you are, young lady", clearly not convinced, and giving the reception clerk her full attention, who smiled at her.

"She's perfectly correct, ma'am. She is really going to see the queen this morning. They are attending an awards ceremony at Holyroodhouse later this morning".

The woman's eyebrows arched and her lips formed an "O" as she glanced at the adults as well, but said nothing. Andrew and Donald had been settling the accommodation accounts and as they turned away, the clerk was heard explaining to the guest about the George Cross ceremony that was taking place that day.
The concierge had arranged for both vehicles to be driven to the portico and the luggage loaded, the two framed photographs of Beth and Nicky right on top and easily accessible. They drove away watched by several very curious pairs of eyes.

Their entrance to the Radisson Blu was met by similar curious stares,and when Ken and Jenny joined them, Andrew and Ryan were surprised to see Ken also wearing tartan, albeit a kilt in the Smith Modern pattern. Like Iona, Jenny wore a black dress, offset by a sash in the Smith Modern tartan as well. Donald would later tell them that he had bestowed honary membership of Clan Cameron on them as well. They had accepted gratefully, but had chosen to wear the Smith tartan on the day in Nicky's honour.

The ceremony was scheduled for 11.00am, so there was plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Andrew requested extra serviettes from their waiter to protect the childrens outfits, and the adults were highly amused when he returned with four tablecloths which he proceeded to tie around the back of their necks thereby protecting their clothes from their neck to their toes.

At 10.30am they headed for the cars, the grandparents all driving with Donald, and the Devlin-Majors following behind. The drive down the Royal Mile was only a short four minutes long before they were at the imposing gates of Holyroodhouse. A guard and an equerry checked their invitations and identities, the equerry advising that they would be met at the Palace entrance and indicating where they could park the vehicles close to the main entrance.
As they were exiting the cars, they were approached by two guards who once again checked their credentials, while Andrew checked the children, making sure the girls sashes were straight, that the boys had buttoned up their jackets correctly and that their sporrans and flashes were all correctly placed.
The two photos of Beth and Nicky were placed in the girls hands

Donald observed his actions with a critical eye, nodding and smiling when Andrew caught his eye.
The guards then led them to the main entrance which passed right through the palace and into the inner courtyard, a perfectly mowed swathe of bright green grass flanked on all four sides by the palace windows on the three upper levels and a covered cloister on the ground floor. They turned left into the cloister and one of the guards turned to them.

"The ceremony will be conducted in The Great Gallery. This way please".

They followed him down the cloister, and turned right at the first corner. A long corridor stretched out ahead of them. An equerry, wearing a kilt stood waiting at the door to the room and smiled as they approached, extending his hand to Donald in greeting.

"Cameron of Lochiel, welcome to Holyroodhouse"

"Major Thompson. Thank you. Tis good to see you again". Donald indicated the group around them. "This is Jamie and Iona Cameron, Beth's parents. Ken and Jenny Smith, Nicky's parents. And finally, Andrew and Ryan Devlin-Major, and Beth's four children Elizabeth and Fiona, and Cameron and Jamie Jnr. Andrew and Ryan are the fathers of the children"
Major Jonathan Thompson greeted them all, glanced at his wristwatch and then explained,

"I'm going to take you into the room now. There is a row of chairs right at the front of the room. You can sit there while we wait for Her Majesty. She will enter the room at exactly 11.00am. You are required to stand up when she does. You can just lower your heads, like this", demonstrating the movement. Andrew held up a hand.

"The children have all been coached on how to bow and curtsey. They are really looking forward to greeting Her Majesty". The major nodded.

"I will be announcing you and reading the citation for Beth and Nicky. When I call your names your can walk to where I am standing, stop and then you can bow and curtsey. It is not required, but I can tell you now, Her Majesty will be thrilled. I suggest the children walk ahead of the adults, the two girls in the centre and the boys flanking them". He looked down at Cameron and Jamie, who looked confused. "That means you walk on either side of them. Okay?" The boys nodded solemnly. "Good boys! Who will actually be receiving the medals?", he asked.

"That would be Cameron, for Nicky, and Jamie, for Beth", Andrew explained. "The grandparentals will go with them. The rest of us will be close by to support them, if needed".
He nodded.

"Great! Take a seat for a few minutes while I inform Her Majesty that you have arrived". He opened the door and led them into a long, richly decorated room, where about a dozen people were already seated.

One entire wall had windows that overlooked the centre courtyard, while the remaining three walls were adorned with portraits of real and legendary rulers of Scotland including Macbeth, Robert the Bruce, and Mary Queen of Scots. A crimson, discreetly patterned carpet covered be floor.

Major Thompson showed them to their seats and then disappeared through a door in the corner of the room. At exactly 11.00am the door was opened and Her Majesty entered the room followed by Major Thompson. The waiting group stood up and bowed their heads as she turned to speak to her aide. She glanced at them and then walked towards them. Andrew was surprised at how diminutive she was, yet her presence seemed larger than life. She approached Donald, who bowed as she stopped in front of him. To Andrew's surprise, she extended a white gloved hand.

"My Lord Lochiel. It has been a long time. You look well", she said, smiling. Donald briefly grasped her small hand.

"It has indeed, ma'am", he replied, pronouncing it 'marm'."We were both a lot younger at our last meeting"

"Yes, we were. May I express my sorrow at the reason for our gathering today. I was shocked when I realised that Beth Cameron was your niece", she told him earnestly.

"Thank you Your Majesty. Please allow me to introduce Beth's parents, Jamie and Fiona Cameron, and
Dr.Nicola Smith's parents, Ken and Jenny Smith", who bowed and curtseyed as she turned to them.

"Please accept my condolences on your loss. It is my hope that today will bring some measure of joy to you, as we acknowledge the sacrifice that they both made". She glanced at Andrew, Ryan and the children, a small smile playing on her lips as they all sank into bows and curtseys. Donald added,

"The wee ones are Beth's children, Jamie Jnr, Elizabeth, Fiona and Cameron. These two gentlemen are their fathers, Andrew and Ryan Devlin-Major, from Cape Town, South Africa".

"Indeed!", she said smiling. "I am very interested to know more. But shall we get on with it. I am told you are driving back to Achnacarry today". She turned to Major Thompson. "Shall we proceed, Major"
He bowed his head.

"Certainly, Your Majesty", he replied as she moved to the centre of the room. He stopped for just a moment to speak to them.

"You won't need to bow or curtsey when you come up to receive the medals. So don't worry about it. Just come to where I am standing when I begin reading the citation, and wait". He turned away and took up his position. He glanced at Her Majesty, who gave a barely perceptible nod of her head.
He took a deep breath, unrolled a parchment and began reading.

"On the night of 16 January 2018, the ferry they were sailing on was caught in a vicious storm during which several passengers were injured as a result of the ships unpredictable movements. The small medical service on board was overwhelmed, so Beth Cameron-Smith and Dr Nicola Cameron-Smith volunteered to assist, going below deck to the cabins to treat the injured who could not be accommodated in the medical facility. While treating these patients, the ferry was struck by a rogue wave and capsized, trapping them and their patients in the upturned hull, where they eventually succumbed to the effects of hypothermia.
The George Cross is therefore posthumously presented to Elizabeth Cameron-Smith and Dr. Nicola Cameron-Smith for their bravery and selfless sacrifice in the face of mortal danger"

He glanced briefly at the waiting group and nodded, before continuing.

"The medals will be accepted by their children, Jamie Jnr and Fiona Cameron-Smith, and Cameron and
Elizabeth Devlin-Major, accompanied by their fathers, grandparents and Donald Cameron of Lochiel"

He smiled at the children and motioned them forward with his hand. They quickly arranged themselves as planned, eliciting a smile from Her Majesty, and then walked solemnly to where the major stood, the girls carrying the photographs of Beth and Nicky. There was a sudden staccato stutter of cameras and only then did they realise that the other people in the room were from the press.

Major Thompson marched to a small table that stood behind The Queen and on which lay a crimson covered pillow with gold tassels. On the pillow lay two chunky, silver George Crosses with their distinctive blue ribbons attached in their blue boxes. He picked up the pillow and moved to Her Majesty's side. She picked up one of the boxes and handed it to Jamie Jnr.

"I present this medal on behalf of a proud nation to Elizabeth Cameron-Smith", she intoned, then whispered, "Don't lose it now"

Jamie, his eyes wide, shook his head vigorously.

"No I won't. Thank you Mrs Queen", he replied.

Some of the press contingent reacted with laughter but were almost instantly silenced when Her Majesty raised her blue eyes and glared at them.
Andrew face-palmed, mortified, but also fighting the giggle welling up inside him. To her credit, Her Majesty took it in her stride and smiled at the little boy, patting his hand that still rested in her gloved one.

"That's good. Well done".

She presented Cameron with Nicky's medal, with no further faux pas, and just like that, the ceremony was over. Tea and light refreshments had been arranged, which she advised would be served in a small drawing room close by. She invited Donald to walk with her, and the rest of them followed. She chatted very briefly with all of them, gracing them with her precence for only half an hour, before taking her leave for another appointment. They also left almost immediately after HRH, thanking Major Thompson for his much appreciated guidance, drove to the Radisson, quickly changed, and were back on the road to Achnacarry in short order.

The day remained clear and bright, a perfect day for driving to The Highlands. The M90 route took them across the Firth of Forth on the gorgeous Queensferry Crossing bridge, past Dunfermline, and on into the lush Scottish countryside, arriving at the Achnacarry just in time for afternoon tea, receiving a very warm welcome from a small welcoming party of clan members and staff.
The Devlin-Majors were accommodated in the same suite of rooms they occupied for the funeral, with Ken and Jenny just down the corridor.
Afternoon tea was served on the back patio overlooking the rear gardens and the forest, and then they all just relaxed for the remainder of the afternoon before going to freshen up and change for dinner.

The following morning, after a hearty breakfast, they all strolled up to the gravesite at the top of the hill to pay their respects, the four children, Iona and Jenny carrying bunches of flowers that had been gathered in Achnacarry's beautiful summer garden. Any blooms found along the way were swiftly added.
The grave was now covered by a white, gold veined marble plinth with a matching double headstone, one side proclaiming very simply,

'Elizabeth (Beth) Cameron -Smith, 1986 - 2018' and the other 'Nicola Cameron-Smith 1985 - 2018'
Inscribed beneath their names was the words,
'Mothers, daughters, heroines. Tragically taken 16 January 2018. R.I.P'

Once again, the breathtaking beauty of the location stunned them all. The acer spread it's sheltering limbs over the site, dappled sunlight filtering through the red leaves. Birds twittered overhead and a soft breeze wafted over it all, while the loch stretched out into the distance, the sun causing diamond like glints to reflect off the water. Two white painted benches had been erected under the tree and it was here that they sat for a while in contemplation after the flowers had been arranged in the vases at the base of the headstone and a the corners of the plinth. Of course there were tears, lots of them, from the two mothers, but the children were all calm, if a little subdued.

For the remaining two days they were at Achnacarry, the pilgrimage up the hill became a daily one. Not only because it was Beth and Nicky's final resting place, but that it was just so beautiful and tranquil.
But all too soon it was time to move on.

Copyright © 2021 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 26
  • Sad 3
A huge thank you to all go you who read, reacted and commented on 'Never walk alone'. I still cannot believe the reaction it got. I hope 'Walk On' gives similar enjoyment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. Agree whole heartedly with all the other comments, couldn't comment any better. Looking forward to more.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jack2 said:

Great chapter! Thank you for continuing the story.

 

Thank you, all of you, for sticking with the story. You have no idea how much I value your comments, reactions and support

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, Mancunian said:

Very nicely written capturing the atmosphere of what can only be described as a solemn but joyous occasion at Holyrood. I hope this gives the family some peace and assistance during what is still a time of grief.

Thanks @Mancunian. Yes, most definitely  the time has come to move on.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, Butcher56 said:

This was a great chapter. I’m glad that the children were the ones who received the medals in honor of their mothers, they even learned to bow and curtsey for the Queen. It was a short ceremony and a solemn one, although it was a very nice ceremony and a very special day for the children who were able to meet the queen of England. After the ceremony they went to Achnacarry where they stayed for a few days, while they were there they made daily trips to Beth and Nicky’s graves which was a very nice resting place for them but also a beautiful place.

Thank you @Butcher56. I tried to give the visits to the grave a more positive tone.  The children, especially Jamie and Fiona, are coping much better and have found some peace. There will always be some measure of sadness when they visit Achnacarry, back use the gravesite will forever be a symbol of what they lost.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, mansexlover said:

Very mixed chapter emotionally. Starting with the very happy wedding which went off extremely  well to the very sad  (in one aspect  remembering the deaths of the two women) but also exciting time for the children when meeting the Queen  . A very well written chapter and yes tissues were used.

Hi @mansexlover. Thanks for the comment. I think you can safely put the tissues away for now. There are happier times ahead.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Andre, you've taken time to create a simply marvelous chapter.

You start with a wonderful wedding of Claude and François, with great 'princess' flower girls Elizabeth and Fi 👨‍❤️‍👨 accompanied by ring bearers Cameron and Jamie. 👨‍❤️‍👨

Then your attention to detail, especially those at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Great Gallery and the actual ceremony with Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, are presented as if we are actually in attendance.

The conversation between Her Majesty and Beth and Nicky's children actually captures her true spirit (that I had the honour of seeing in person years ago).

Speaking to Jamie Jnr, the Queen said: "I present this medal on behalf of a proud nation ... then whispered, Don't lose it now". To which Jamie, his eyes wide, shook his head vigorously. "No I won't. Thank you Mrs. Queen", he replied.

I can see her brief grin and hear her quiet giggle as she holds Jamie Jnr's hand and says: "That's good. Well done" (while giving her well-known glare at bystanders, not family, giggling nearby).

The children going with their Dads to Achnacarry to visit and spend time with their Mothers at their graves, brought tears to my eyes. 

A fitting tribute Andre.

"Well done", indeed!

spacer.png

Thank you. 

Now it's on to new adventures for the Devlin-Major family. Let's see what is in store?

Thanks @Anton_Cloche. The chapter is what it is due in no small part to you and your sound advice. So thank you for your input. And yes, new adventures lie ahead.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, pvtguy said:

Believe the reaction you get on an extremely well-crafted story!  You interlace family drama with history, geography, and culinary education. The ceremony was described so realistically that I felt as though I were there observing in person!  This story could go on for years as far as I am concerned!!

I firmly believe my personal travel experiences play a large part in how I write. I have been very fortunate to have visited much of the World, and one of the places that left a lasting impression was Scotland. Soooo beautiful. The other was Canada!.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Another superb chapter and I have to agree with all of the comments above, could not have said it any better...and looking forward to more!!!

Thank you @drsawzall. Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Agree whole heartedly with all the other comments, couldn't comment any better. Looking forward to more.

Hi @chris191070. The reply above applies to you as well. Your support is valued and appreciated. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Poignant and beautifully written, your impressive literary skills on display as always @Andre Delport.

So much to admire and enjoy in this chapter, some of which my fellow readers, particularly @Anton_Cloche (the Queen’s sense of humour a highlight), have already observed in their written comments. In addition to these observations, I must say how much I liked the choice of emerald green by the Devlin-Major family for their clothing at Claude and Francois’ wedding; the reappearance of my favourite character, Rascal, and the appearance of his canine partner in mischief (I hope) Toby; and, the recognition of and respect for vegetarians at Claude and Francois’ wedding. I have been to several formal occasions, including a wedding, where my vegetarian diet has been informed prior, only to be completely ignored or acknowledged by the inclusion of a salad. The vegetarian dishes sounded delicious, especially the aubergine, a personal favourite of mine. 

@Summerabbacat,thank you for the lovely comment. The 'impressive literary skills' were really tested with this chapter. I’m thrilled that it comes across well.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for a wonderful chapter.  The kids are fantastic.  I loved the comment "Thank you Mrs Queen."  They are well mannered children.

 

Edited by Gomez Stanley C
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you for again fantastic chapter.and again very emotional. The reaction of the was wat was expected tears when they where at the gravesite.I can feel their pain especially today when my older brother died.Days like that are horrible but it’s part of life.For little children it’s far more then for us the old people..

Now live is starting again

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..