Jump to content
    BarricadeBoy
  • Author
  • 1,971 Words
  • 1,415 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales That Toby Tell - 7. The Last Supper/Food Fight

This was a really hard chapter to write! It's Christmas dinner but has Toby bitten off more then he can chew? (see what I did there?) Also I couldn't decide on a chapter title so I took both! Enjoy

I woke up to the sound of my burger alarm going off. Immediately I slapped it from my bedside table, unfortunately in a few seconds another alarm will go off that I can't slap. Just watch in 5...4...3...2...1... "Toooooooooby get up we have to set everything up for tonight honey" She didn't even wish me Merry Christmas!

I made my way down the stairs in my pjs with two wrapped boxes in each of my hands. Mum and dad were having breakfasts at they kitchen counter because the table was filled with food that still had to be cooked. "Mornin...Merry Christmas mum and dad" I mumbled.

My dad gave me a hug before saying "At least wipe the sleep out of your eyes Toby, its disgusting!" followed with laughs. I gave him a ha-ha. Mom was first to open up her gift. I didn't see her expressions but I heard a little whimper."Awwww mom I didn't mean to make you upset... it's not that cool of a gift" I said. My mom looked at my dad and showed him her gift.

My mom had always spoken about movies she never got around to watch or would want to watch again. I brought her some over the past year. Some of them included "Crash" and "Matilda" and what she says is her favourite movie "Kramer vs Kramer" I haven't watched any of these except Matilda, I loved that movie. We watched it in school all the time

Dad opened his gift. My dad and I have an arrangement. We drop hints to each other through the year. Obviously he has to keep his expectations low.... ".... And it's a.... digital camera?" My dad hugged me. "I dont remember asking for this" he said softly and I replied..."That's the idea of Christmas dad....it's supposed to be a surprise". My dad looked a bit sad and he replied, "But your mom and I got you..." before he could finish I was already un-wrapping the latest PS4 console. I winked at dad as he started to film me.

After putting up some fancy decorations and cleaning for hours I noticed that the table was a bit big for our usual dinner. "Hey mum... who exactly did you invite? My mom didn't reply immediately so I asked her again. "Who?" She looked at me a bit excited."Well you invited Connor and Josh is coming...with his family...and also aunt Jessica and her boyfriend Phill" Before I could reply to my mother, my dad's head poped around the corner of a wall. "Well actually Jessica just called, she can't make it" My mom's face turned a bit sad "Well then I have to take away these extra places at the table" My dad peaked in the room again "Actually I called Dan...it's been so long since we've seen them and Connor is coming so..." My mother nodded in agreement and sped of to the kitchen. I however started hyperventilating. I rushed up to my room.

"This can't be happening, Josh's parents? I'm not ready for that!" I looked at the clock and it was just before 6 pm. I got into the shower and dressed quickly. I saw a car parking in our driveway. It was Josh's family. "Shit!" I said as I dried to fix my hair. I hate being late! Before I knew it Josh was up in my room.

"Shhhhhh.. I just wanted to say hello" he said as he slowly made his way to me. He looked gorgeous. He wore a red shirt and a jean. I had all black with a red tie that had Christmas trees on them. "What you doing up here Toby...let's go down..." he said with a bit of hesitation in his voice. I just felt my fingers trembling and Josh grabbed my hands to calm me. "If it makes you feel any better, don't worry, they don't know about us" Hearing him say that was comforting and I placed my lips against his and of course at that moment my dad came in my room to tell me I have to come down. I asked Josh to leave first and I followed him a few seconds later.

When I entered the room I marveled a bit at how beautiful it looked. Fake snow was sprinkled over the table and the Christmas tree stood tall. The fireplace was burning and I captured a glance of Josh sitting between his parents. They looked so young, especially his mother. Her blond hair cascaded off her head. His dad was just as big as him but he looked a bit unwelcoming.

To my surprise, Connor and his family was seated at the table too. He sat third opposite Josh's family after his own parents. I sat down next to him as I greeted everyone. My parents sat at the far end of each table.

My dad thanked everybody for coming and we started to talk, well I was quiet and so was Connor, Josh on the other hand was all smiles and I stared shamelessly at every action he made. When he smiled, raised his brow or even made hand suggestions. I guess I was being too obvious because Connor hit me in my ribs with his elbow. It hurt! "Do you have to be so obvious?" he irritatingly whispered to me. "Sorry" I said as I poked at the food in my plate. "The guy actually cleans up well" Hearing that from Connor made my heart skip a beat. if I wanted blessing from anybody, it was him and I felt closer to that goal. Josh just needs to impress him that's all.

Things were going well when midway through the dinner I heard my mother say ".....must be difficult with him being gay and having to face his team mates everyday" I saw Josh's jaw drop as he stared at my mother, I heard somebody choke too but my eyes were fixed on Josh's expression. Out of nowhere I yelled at my mother "Mom what the hell!" I admit it was a bit rude yelling at her like that. Immediately her eyes filled with regret because she knew she hadn't considered how Josh might have felt. After that Mr Hamilton rose up and spoke furiously. "Our son is not gay! He is confused and we will help him get through this! After this nonsense he will come back to his senses and be restored to the position of Quarterback!"

His voice stung and his wife was tugging at his shirt asking him to calm down. I looked at Josh and boy did he lool angry! "For God sake! Are you blind? You spend so much time counting your money that you can't see the truth? I am gay dad! Just accept it or get out of my life!" Josh's words stung back and we all were silent. His dad put his hands on Josh shoulder saying "Son please... don't do this! Stop.... you are a man, not a sissy!... You can't be gay...." Josh rose up from his chair and was now looking in his father's eyes. "Do you want me to prove it to you" Josh asked. His father had no response. Josh raised his hand and pointed at me. I just kindof looked around shamefully. "That's Toby if you haven't met. We go to school together... And yesterday... well let's just say I took him to The Fountain"

This was his way of saying we're gay and we're together? Cute. "No you didn't" was all his father said and Josh nodded "Yes" "Come we're leaving Anna" his father said and Josh's mother jumped up and left with her husband. Josh turned to my mom and said "I'm so sorry for that" and my mother tearfully mouthed "It's okay" But it wasn't because Connor's parens were next.

"How dare you Regina? How dare you invite us into your house harboring homosexuals!" Connor's mother yelled furiously. "And you Adam? We went to school together! You despised them! When that fag Tim always spoke to you, you practically spat in his face and now? how is it you are condoning this filth?" she went on. My dad was now in a total state of shock and my mother jumped up, her chair even fell over. "Get out of my house you vile woman!"

My mother was angry. Angry being an understatement. That's when things got a little bit out of control. Connor's mother through her glass of wine at my mother and it flung passed her head luckily. My mother grabbed a plate and swang it back but Josh stopped her before she could. Connor's dad spoke "That's enough! I think we should leave" Connor didn't move. "Well aren't you coming?" his mother asked. He didn't reply. "Trust me. You don't wan to be around these filthy homosexuals. Let's go now" And so Connor stood up, looked down at me and walked out with his parents. Or so I thought, he actually went upstairs and I heard his parents slapping the door as they left.

My mom was now kneeling in front of my dad "Adam are you okay?...Adam?" My mother looked at us "Josh...Toby...leave all this... Dad isn't feeling well, I'll take him to bed. Josh if you need to stay the night then it's fine... goodnight" My mom and dad walked hand in hand to their room. My dad looked as if he had just gotten the worst news ever.

Josh ad I walked up to my room and found Connor sitting in the window. "There is no way I'm going back there Toby" Connor said. Josh looked at me "Well me neither... At least not tonight" I walked over to Connor and told him that he can stay and tried to comfort him but he got emotional. "How do my parens manage to screw up my fucking life every time huh?" He started crying and he was now walking over to my bed when he started again."You want to know why Toby? You want to know why I've been acting so strange? why I slept here those nights? I felt his pain as I stood there. I could feel Josh inching closer to me. Connor shook his head as if he was telling himself not to speak another word but his emotions got the best of him "Because I told them..." but he couldn't. He fell over sobbing into my pillows and I wanted to get closer but somehow he knew because he yelled at me. "Get away! don't come near me Toby"

I stood back and watched my best friend break down. He was slowly drifting off. Falling asleep. Josh then asked me "I take it you do this often" referring to Connor's crying. I said no and for some reason he felt the need to hug me. He wrapped his giant arms around me and although I almost matched him, he manage to make me feel like a little mouse in the hands off a human.

We sat on a few pillows and blankets opposite my bed as we watched Connor. "You know... I didn't even get you a gift for Christmas" I said and he laughed. "That's fine. Theirs always next Christmas. And the Christmas thereafter and the Christmas after that Christmas and...." he said but before he could finish I kissed him and I felt him smile as I did it. I was tired and he picked up on it "Sleep babe. Ill watch your friend. I'll make sure he is well taken care of just like you" I smiled and buried my head in his chest and fell asleep to the sound of Josh chewing down an entire pack of candy.

commentary always welcome! Special thanks to reader Joann!
Copyright © 2014 BarricadeBoy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lol this was funny to read! I don't know how, but you manage to find the perfect middle between drama and reality, thus creating a light hearted comedy that just captivates me. The dinner scene became just so cinematic to me,incredible. :D

Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 10:41 AM, Scary said:
Lol this was funny to read! I don't know how, but you manage to find the perfect middle between drama and reality, thus creating a light hearted comedy that just captivates me. The dinner scene became just so cinematic to me,incredible. :D
its 2:47AM and im in bed laughing at ur commentary, u gave this story a second life lol thanks, and yes, the scene was fun to write.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..