Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,482 Words
  • 1,721 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 8. Chapter 8

The next morning, I woke with a smile feeling very content. I checked the time, it was 7:30 and I remembered that Mr. Haas was due at 9. I quietly got up and headed for the bathroom, did my ablutions and got dressed. Cody was still asleep. I went to the kitchen and started the coffee. When it was finished brewing, I filled a cup and walked out on the patio. Everything was so quiet. As I looked at the river, I saw a deer go and take a drink. I got a feeling that this was as close to heaven as I’d ever get here on earth.

Still watching the deer and with my thoughts a mile away, I jumped when a felt someone’s arms around my waist. “What are you thinking about that made your eyes so dreamy?”

I smiled, and gave Cody a quick kiss. “I was just enjoying the quiet and nature.” I pointed out the deer at the river to Cody, he pulled me back so I was leaning on his shoulder. “This is a little piece of heaven to me.”

Cody didn’t answer or say anything. He turned me around until I was facing him, looking into my eyes, “I love you and you make my little piece of heaven.”

“Let’s get some breakfast before Mr. Haas gets here.”

Over breakfast we talked about what we were going to do. I reminded Cody that we’re going to pick berries and he reminded me that Jeff and he were going fishing.”You don’t have a fishing pole.”

“Jeff said he would bring one and some bait.”

“When is Jeff coming over?”

“He said he would be here about 9:30. I think he’s planning on staying for lunch.”

I just chuckled. The smile on Cody’s face was all I needed. I’m so hopelessly in love with this guy. “Ok, while you fish, after Noah leaves, I’ll go berry picking. We can have fish and black berry cobbler for dessert.”

 

At 9 there was a knock on the kitchen door. When I opened the door, Noah was there with, I assumed, his sons. I invited Noah and the boys in, offered them something to drink, coffee, tea or orange juice. Noah didn’t take anything but the boys opted for the juice.

“I have your dining room set on the truck. The boys and I will unload it and place it in the dining room for you.”

“I suppose it’d be easier to bring it in through the patio door. If you need help, I have a house quest that could help you.”

“That would be great. The dining room table is pretty heavy. Boys, why don’t you start to bring the chairs down.”

With that, the boys left to get the chairs. I introduced Noah to Cody and told Cody I volunteered his services.

As the boys brought the chairs down, Noah and Cody brought the table. It was beautiful. Noah said the wood all came from the same tree. You could see that the grain matched.

When everything was in place, Noah and I sat down to discussing some additional work. I told him about wanting some wooden furniture for the patio. He proposed that he could make a wooden table with benches and several wooden chairs. We discussed the type of wood, agreed on price and the deal was sealed with a handshake.

“I noticed walking around there are still several walnut trees that are down. If you want them, you’re welcome to them. Think of it as a bonus for doing a great job on the house.”

You would’ve thought I gave him a million dollars. He could use the wood to turn into fine furniture which I’m sure he could sell for a nice profit. “Before you leave Noah, I was wondering if you knew anyone who did any butchering. I’d like to buy some beef and pork. Wouldn’t mind some poultry as well.”

“Every Saturday over behind the Red & White, across from the fire department, there’s a family market. You might ask there. My wife usually attends. She sells homemade bread and pies.”

 

Jeff arrived about 10:00 with his younger brother and 3 fishing poles. Cody had a big smile on his face, he was going fishing.

“Good morning Jeff, who’s this good looking guy?”

“Good morning Mr. Bradley, this is my younger brother Andrew, but we call him Andy.”

“Hello Andy, I hope you catch a lot of fish or at least have a good time. Cody, I’m going berry picking. See you guys later.”

I took a pail and headed to where Cody and I had seen the berry bushes. They were loaded and in no time I had the bucket full. I think I ate as much as I picked. I could’ve filled three buckets and still hadn’t picked them all. Of course, I had to fight the birds. I took the full pail home and rinsed the berries. I found a plastic bowl, put the washed berries in the bowl and then into the refrigerator. I check on the fishermen, it looked like they were doing ok.

I decided to go and pick another pail of berries, I could freeze some. It took me about the same time to fill the pail. Now with this load, I decided to stop and check the time. I put the berries in a colander, rinsed them off and let them drain. These I’d put in the freezer.

I began to fix lunch. Grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup was on the menu. Ice cream with blackberries would be dessert.

I opened the cans of soup and began to heat it while I prepared the grilled cheese sandwiches. I sliced the tomatoes and onions, placed the cheese on a platter along with the bread and butter.

I was ready to call the guys, when I heard the sliding door open. “If you give me the fish you caught, I’ll clean them and cook them for lunch.”

“We didn’t catch any. Andrew got a nibble but that was all.”

“I heard that you had to be up very early in the morning or late in the evening to catch fish. Maybe you can come back tonight or early tomorrow morning.”

I served the soup at the kitchen counter. “Now, how do you like your toasted cheese sandwiches? I like mine with tomato and onion.”

“I never had one like that but I’d like to try.”

So I prepared grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato, onion and cheese. I watched as the guys bit into the sandwiches. From the looks they all agreed that they were better than just cheese.

Cleaning up the counter, I dished out 4 large bowls of vanilla ice cream loaded with black berries. When I sat the bowls in front of the boys, I swear the smiles reached their ears. I asked Jeff where the Red and White store was located, “Instead of turning off the main road to come here, just keep going straight until you come to a stop light and that’s where it is.”

While the guys sat and talked about fishing, I took some freezer bags and began to fill them with blackberries.

“What are you going to do with all of those berries?”

“I’m going to freeze them so I can have them all winter. Do you want to help me carry them to the freezer in the pantry?”

“Where’s the pantry?”

“Follow me.”

I picked up an arm load of plastic bags and headed to the pantry. Jeff picked up several bags and followed me. When I opened the door, Jeff was amazed that this existed. We put the berries in the freezer and as I was about to leave, “Mr. Bradley, what are these large flat shelves for, I know the narrow ones are for cans and glass containers.”

“They are for the storage of root vegetables like potatoes, onions and carrots. I want to buy large quantities like 100 lbs of potatoes, 50 lbs of onions so I won’t have to go to the store in the winter. I’m also looking for meat to fill that freezer. If you know of any farmer who sells vegetables or meat, let me know.”

“Is that why you’re interested in the Red and White store?” I must’ve had a confused look on my face, “Many hunters take their deer there to be butchered. They charge a fee, age it, butcher it and then wrap it.”

“I didn’t know that, but I was planning on going to the farmer’s market behind the store.”

“Jeff, Andy says you must head home since you have to work today.” Gathering up their fishing gear, they headed home.

“Alan, let’s go into town and see if we can find those fishing chairs. I’ll treat you to dinner.”

So the fishing wasn't that great. I remember fishing in that river and it wasn't great either. There are trout streams close by, I think Andy will take Cody there, sooner or later.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

47 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I'm sure that when they get more settled they will learn to read the river better and catch plenty of fish, but I'll bet seeing and knowing that they share the land with wild deer is more than enough compensation.

They are gentle animals. I have seen many deer in the forests of Cook Forest.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, pity about the fishing, but they are only fishing for the first time, interesting about stocking up for winter

  • Like 4
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, pity about the fishing, but they are only fishing for the first time, interesting about stocking up for winter

The roads aren't cleared and they do get snow. a lot of snow. Well, they use to. Haven't been back there for several years.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Shame about the fishing. Soup and toastie a yummy lunch

My favorite. I still like a grilled cheese with tomato and onion. So much better than just cheese. I also like to vary the cheese and, in my opinion, tomato soup goes best.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

My favorite. I still like a grilled cheese with tomato and onion. So much better than just cheese. I also like to vary the cheese and, in my opinion, tomato soup goes best.

I never had one like that but it sounds great I want to go get one now.Damn you lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I never had one like that but it sounds great I want to go get one now.Damn you lol

You should try it just make sure you use cheese and not that synthetic cheese that comes in a box. Get sliced cheese at the deli section of your grocery store. Guaranteed you'll like it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..