Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,677 Words
  • 2,453 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 19. Chapter 19

Landing at Pittsburgh, we quickly got our luggage, found the car and headed home. When we pulled into the driveway, we had to park at the end of 2 cars. Lights were on, “Mary and Brian must be here. I gave her the keys to check on the place while we were gone.”

They must have either heard us or seen our lights, but soon the garage door opened and Brian came to help the kids unload the trunk. He put the boy’s luggage into his car and Nancy Jeans luggage into the other car.

Entering the kitchen I was surprised to see a couple I didn’t know. But I guessed it to be Nancy Jeans parents. The kids were glad to see their parents and then the noise level increased as they began to tell them about their trip. Pictures were shown, as well as gifts they bought for their parents. Of course, they had to show the rings.

It wasn’t long before I smelled the coffee. Mary had a roast with all of the trimmings ready for dinner. The kids were starving, to listen to them. Dinner was great, sitting in the great room the kids began to tell everyone about the holiday. One would start, the other would add and the third would finish.

“It sounds like you all had a great time. I hope they weren’t any problems.”

“No, they were great. If they started to act up, I’d just dangle some food in front of them and they immediately forgot what they were complaining about. They couldn’t pass a hot dog cart without trying a couple. I think by the time we were ready to come home, they had rated all of the hot dog carts in Manhattan.”

“I’m going to have to remember that. All you did was dangle food in front of them? Do you have all of your fingers?”

Cody to the rescue,” Alan is joking, kids. They were very well behaved, there were adults at some of the functions who could take a lesson from them.”

“I guess you are all tired so we better leave.”

I knew what would happen next. Andy went and spoke to his mother, she said something in his ear and Cody was tuned in because he nodded yes. Jeff walked Nancy Jean to their car and came back in to go home with his parents.

When everyone left, Andy asked if he could have another piece of dessert. With a nod he went to the kitchen. “Cody, I’m going to bed. Be sure the place is locked up before you come up.”

Although I wasn’t tired on the trip, I think it caught up to me on the plane. I was really tired and I knew I’d be asleep before Cody left the downstairs. And I was.

The next morning I was surprised by being wakened by a cup of coffee. Yep, our permanent staff was back on the job. “Thanks Andy, I thought you had gone home with your family.”

“No, I was tired and fell asleep. I think Cody put me to bed. I was surprised when I woke this morning because I didn’t remember going to bed.”

“I appreciate the coffee but you need to call your folks. Your mom and dad will think we have kidnapped you.”

After finishing my coffee and Andy had left, I got up, showered and dressed, Cody was still sleeping. I went to the kitchen and joined Andy for breakfast. “Andy, when you want to go home, I’ll drive you. Have you called Rich to see if he’s back home?”

“No, I’ll call after breakfast.”

“Call who?”

“Well, it’s about time you got up. Andy is going to call Rich to see if he’s back from Florida.”

Cody went and got a cup of coffee, Andy went and prepared his breakfast.

“Alan what’s on the agenda this morning?”

“I was planning on just taking it easy. I’m still a little tired from the trip. What would you like to do?”

“Maybe Andy and I could go snow sledding or ice fishing, what do you say Andy?”

“Yea, that sounds great. If Rich is home, can he come too?”

“Sure the more the merrier, but we’d need a sled. Maybe I should drive to town and see if I can buy one.”

“Take it easy the roads may be slippery?”

 

Of course, Andy had to go with him which was all right by me. I just relaxed, read a while, planned on taking a nap when I heard Cody coming back. I didn’t realize the time, it was 2. I figured I better get some lunch ready. For me it was easy, soup and grilled cheese. By the time they brought the sled, which was really a toboggan, around to the patio, the soup was ready. Wait, I thought I saw a red head there. Looking again, I saw Rich wave at me. They must have stopped to pick him up, I waved back. They took their shoes off on the patio and headed directly to the fireplace which Cody started before he left. Sitting in front of the fireplace, I must have dozed off while reading my book.

I poured four bowls of soup and fixed 4 grilled cheese sandwiches. As soon as the table was set, I called them to lunch. I had poured coffees for Cody and I, Andy got milk for him and Rich. Over lunch, Andy, obviously, continued to tell Rich about the New York trip. I asked Rich about his trip to Florida. He then told us about swimming in the ocean and had to show his tan to the delight of Andy. When Lunch was over, I started to clean up. “Alan, the boys and I are going sledding. Do you want to come?”

“No, you guys go ahead. I’ll finish my book and maybe take a nap.”

“Are you feeling ok?”

“Yes, I’m fine. I’m just getting over the New York trip. I’ll be ok. Go with the boys and have fun.”

They left, but I noticed Cody kept looking back. I just waved him on. I needed to take something out of the freezer for dinner and then I will try and finish my book. As soon as I sat down in front of the fireplace, I dropped off to sleep.

I must have slept for 2-3 hours, when the phone woke me. It was Mary wondering when Andy was coming home. “Mary, they are somewhere sledding. They left about 4 hours ago and Andy said he knew where there was a good spot to go sledding. I can have him call you as soon as they get back…. Sure, that’s not a problem, I’m sure Cody won’t mind bringing him home. … Yes, it seems you lost a son and Cody has gained a son. I’m going to see if we can sponsor a foster child. I think Cody would make a great father. …Sure when you have a chance, I’d appreciate the phone number and the address of Child Services. …Yes I’ve been to Pittsburgh. …That sounds great… Bye and I’ll let you know when they are back.”

I checked the time and I started dinner. I knew after sled riding, the boys would be hungry. It seemed I no sooner had dinner started when I heard Cody pulling his truck into the garage. All three came in laughing and soaking wet. “Did you all go sledding or swimming? You better get out of those wet clothes and Andy I’m assuming you have enough clothes here that Rich can use as well.” Cody gave me a cold kiss on the cheek as he headed to change clothes.

“Andy, Rich take a hot shower before getting dressed.” Cody chuckled as he heard Andy’s ‘Yes’

I was just wondering how soon before Andy ask if Rich can stay over with him. When they were all done getting changed, dinner was ready. I didn’t have a chance to open my mouth after asking, “How was the sledding?” The boys and Cody took over the conversation trying to eat, talk and laugh all at the same time. I could tell by looking at Cody and his smiling eyes, he had a great time as well.

“I hate to break up a good time but after dessert a couple of boys have been requested to go home.” While I dish out the dessert, “Andy you need to call home and I suppose Rich you should as well. Cody you’ll have to drive them home.”

As I was cutting the pie, placing a slice on a dish and then adding a scope of ice cream, I heard Andy talking to his mom. “Yea, we had a great time. We had a snowball fight with Cody and we teamed up on him. He was laughing too hard to throw his snowballs so we won. … Yes, Uncle Alan said that Cody will drive us home right after dessert. …Yes, I’ll thank them.”

While I was putting the dishes in the dish washer, I heard Cody pulling out of the garage. I poured myself a cup of coffee and headed to bed. I just got finished with my shower and was getting in bed when I heard Cody returning. He was laughing and shaking his head as he entered our bedroom. “You seemed to have a lot of fun today. The boys really like to play with you.”

“Yes, it was a lot of fun. It was nice to see them enjoying themselves, acting like they don’t have a care in the world. Rich is a nice kid and just as devilish as Andy. I think they were made for each other.”

After taking his shower, a second time, he snuggled in bed. “I think you were made for me as well.” That led to adult playtime which I enjoyed very much. Sometimes it’s hard to believe with the age difference that I was able to find Cody.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Short bit great.  I think Alan and Cody should buy that restaurant and foster gay kids tossed out of their homes

  • Like 5
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I think Alan is just. not up to keeping up with young people. I remember many times at ny grandparents sitting in front of a fireplace, and going to sleep. It is almost a hypnotic experience. 

Well...I guess you'd know best, lol!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

Well...I guess you'd know best, lol!

Yes, I would give anything too be able to do that again.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Timejun said:

Short bit great.  I think Alan and Cody should buy that restaurant and foster gay kids tossed out of their homes

hang in there. There are worst cases then kids tossed out of their home.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Alan and Cody would be awesome Foster Parents. They obviously relate to kids really well. Plus their home, location/property and toys are way awesome.

Hell, I'd move in tomorrow if they were to ask me.

Andy can still be the Cook/Chef Intern. I would be their Housekeeper. All we would need then would be a Groundsman/Chauffeur. 

Wonder if Dan or Csaba know anything about gardening or car maintenance, etc???

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

Alan and Cody would be awesome Foster Parents. They obviously relate to kids really well. Plus their home, location/property and toys are way awesome.

Hell, I'd move in tomorrow if they were to ask me.

Andy can still be the Cook/Chef Intern. I would be their Housekeeper. All we would need then would be a Groundsman/Chauffeur. 

Wonder if Dan or Csaba know anything about gardening or car maintenance, etc???

Isn't fiction great. You can let your mind roam, it is a great escape

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I agree they would make a great set of foster parents, 

They would. I think any loving set of people would make a great set of parents, and it can be a set of the same sex parents. One of these days people will wake up and there won't be the hassle that some people have to go through. Sorry about the soap box

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

That adult playtime is important too!

Yes, that keeps the home fire burning, if you catch my drift 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

I am still really enjoying this wonderful story! Thanks. 

Thanks, not too much drama but I think a 'good feel' story, at least that was my intention.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This one of the nest 'feel good' stories and I love catching up with the antics in Alan's home, I'm looking forward to when they start fostering.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

This one of the nest 'feel good' stories and I love catching up with the antics in Alan's home, I'm looking forward to when they start fostering.

Thank you, 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I keep wondering why Alan didn’t keep his apartment in New York, if he is there regularly, it would be much better than a hotel. I also think that Alan should go and see a doctor if he is tired all of the time, something is not right with him, I have done all of New York trip and I was his age when I was there and I wasn’t always tired and easily fell asleep 

Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Bft said:

I keep wondering why Alan didn’t keep his apartment in New York, if he is there regularly, it would be much better than a hotel. I also think that Alan should go and see a doctor if he is tired all of the time, something is not right with him, I have done all of New York trip and I was his age when I was there and I wasn’t always tired and easily fell asleep 

Alan hadn't planned on going to Nw York when he thought about retiring until they put him on the board of directors, then to have an apartment for two-three days a month didn't make sense. Keeping an apartment in New York is an expense he didn't need. I agree he needs a physical.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..