Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,520 Words
  • 2,246 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clarion - 11. Chapter 11

I could hardly sleep that night. It has been two weeks since I saw Cody. I finally gave up, it was 6 am. I got up, showered and shaved, got dressed and headed for the diner. When I arrived, Cody wasn’t there, it was too early. I sat at the table, ordered coffee and waited for Cody. I think I checked my watch every 5 minutes. It was the longest hour, time just seemed to drag on. Soon I heard a truck pulling in, was that Cody or some other driver.

As I watched the door, Ralph came in. I felt let down, where was Cody. Then the door opened again, and I saw Cody. I had the biggest smile I could ever imagine and so did he. He sat down beside me, leaned over and gave me a kiss. I had tears in my eyes and fortunately they didn’t roll down my cheeks. Ralph got up, “I forgot something in my truck. I’ll be right back.”

Cody leaned over, “Give me your car keys, I got your wine. I’ll put it in the car. Order me a coffee, an omelet and toast. I’ll be right back.”

As Cody left, Ralph came in. The waitress came over and I order breakfast for Cody and I, Ralph just said I’ll have the same.

When the coffee arrived, so did Cody. He had a smile on his face and I thought it was because he saw me. “Ralph, did you tell him yet?”

Now I was curious. “Tell me what?”

Ralph just set a box on the table and pushed it in my direction. I was puzzled until I opened it and saw a chocolate cake with raspberries on top. I looked at it, when I looked at Ralph and Cody they had a big smile on their face. And then it hit me, Ralph took over Cody’s short haul. But what was Cody going to do. Talk about being slow on the uptake, “Ready for a permanent roommate?”

I didn’t care who was looking or what they thought, I grabbed Cody and gave him a kiss I was sure curled his toes. I was so happy, I couldn’t eat my omelet, but Ralph could and did.

Settling down, Cody started to tell me that he had sold and donated his furniture, the landlord allowed him out of his lease as one of his friends took the place, as well as some of the furniture. “I’ve put my clothes in the car along with the wine. So I’m yours for now and forever.”

After I calmed down, I realized I was hungry so I called the waitress over and ordered a small omelet. I was grinning like a Cheshire cat and I couldn’t stop. When the waitress brought over the omelet, I asked for the check. Cody and Ralph helped me to eat my omelet. I paid the check leaving a very generous tip, I was happy and I wanted to shout it from the roof tops.

Soon it was time for Ralph to leave. “Ralph, you let us know when you’re here and we’ll come and have breakfast with you, I’m paying.”

I couldn’t wait to get Cody home, “Alan, slow down or we’ll have an accident.” I looked at the odometer, I was going 60 in a 35 mile speed limit. I quickly slowed down to the legal speed limit.

“Ralph was overjoyed when I told him I was resigning and recommending that he get the job since he had already done the run while I was on vacation. I don’t know who was more happy, Ralph or his wife. All at once I became a saint in that family. I’m happy for Ralph, he’s a great guy and deserves the break. Now he’ll have more time at home and he’ll be able to see his kids grow up. You know long haul truck drivers spend little time at home, they get lonely and miss out on seeing their children grow up.”

I looked at Cody, my love for him continued to grow. He was a very special person, his concerns and care for other people was a consummation of his personality.

When we arrived home, I made a pot of coffee while Cody took his clothes to the bedroom. “Where’s the cake?” I chuckled. I gave him the cake and poured two cups of coffee. Taking the coffee, with Cody carrying the cake, we went out to the patio. Cody was surprised to see the furniture. He sat in one of the chairs and I thought I’d never get him out of it.

“Next month is Andy’s birthday. I like the boy and was thinking about getting him either a motorbike or an ATV. What do you think?”

“Get him a motorbike and an ATV for us here. If he wants to drive it when he’s here, he can. They are great for driving around the woods, off road, but on the road a motorbike is better.”

 

And that’s what I did. The motorbike was hidden away but the ATV was parked in the garage. When Andy saw it his eyes lit up. “Wow, you got an ATV. Can I drive it?”

“Sure when we go berry picking or nut gathering. Now we won’t have to carry baskets.”

Andy climbed on the ATV and sat there with a big smile on his face. “Hey, get off my ATV.”

I watched Andy’s face, he was scared for a second until he turned and saw Cody with a big smile on his face. He jumped off the ATV, running to Cody, threw his arms around him as he jumped. Andy and Cody had a big smile on their face. It’s a good thing Andy isn’t older, he’d be tough competition. We took our coffee, Andy took his soda, and we all took a piece of cake to the patio. Andy was surprised to see the furniture but didn’t stop him from sitting down and digging into his cake. While they were eating and chatting, I took a bottle of Riesling and put it into the refrigerator to chill. It will go with the chicken I plan on for dinner.

 

Andy bid us goodnight and gave us a hug. When he came to hug me, “Don’t forget we need to gather nuts tomorrow.” He knew that meant using the ATV. Smiling, he got on his bike and headed home.

“Is he going to bike all the way home?”

“Yes, I took him the other day when he left his bike here. Now he’s taking it back.”

“I want to go and buy a pick-up. I sold mine before I came here and I think we could really use one.”

“Why don’t you ask our special knowledge person to see where there is a truck dealer?”

“Who is that?”

“Jeff”

We went to shop at Ron’s and to see Jeff. I gave Cody the list and while he was shopping, I spoke to Ron.

“Alan, I have your lamb and I think I have your milk.” He led me to the isle where he had baby food and on the top shelf he had several cartons of milk that didn’t need refrigeration.

“How much of this milk do you have?”

“I have several cases, I can let you have two cases until the next shipment.”

I followed Ron while he got the two cases. I saw Cody and waved him over. “Cody, put two

cases of this milk into your cart.” Then I looked into the cart, “I think we need another cart.”

Ron called Jeff on the intercom and Jeff brought an additional cart. Next stop was the meat counter, where the butcher handed me several packages, properly marked. While he was loading the meat into my cart, I saw several beautiful New York strip steaks. I bought 4 steaks for the birthday dinner.

As we checked out, I asked Jeff about a truck dealer. He said that if we go to Butler, we could find a dealer. He wanted to know why we wanted a truck. I told him it was for Cody. I was waiting for the next shoe to drop. “I saw Cody in the store, is he here on vacation?”

“No, he now lives here. That’s why he needs a truck.”

Jeff had a big smile on his face, “I’m glad he’s back. Andy thinks the sun rises and sets on Cody. I know he’ll be very surprised.”

I didn’t let on that Andy already knew that Cody was back. Let him have his day in the sun.

Thanking Jeff, we headed home. Cody helped me carrying the groceries to the pantry. I placed the meat in the freezer, the milk on the shelf and the other items in the cupboard or refrigerator.

That night was a repeat of the first night Cody stayed at the house. I had a big smile as I cuddled into his arms. I was at peace and I was at home with the man who ruled my heart.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Andy was going to around a lot anyway but now he'll think of even more reasons to show up just to drive the ATV.Did Andy tell Cody about himself?Hey a little milestone for you last chapter I think it was the first time you had a page 2 for chapter comments.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, surprise with Cody giving up his job and moving in , it certainly won't be a lonely winter ahead

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Good to see Cody at home with Alan.

No one happier to see Cody than Alan. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Andy was going to around a lot anyway but now he'll think of even more reasons to show up just to drive the ATV.Did Andy tell Cody about himself?Hey a little milestone for you last chapter I think it was the first time you had a page 2 for chapter comments.

yes, you're right, Andy will bug Alan to ride the ATV.

The page two was mostly my responses, I think.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, surprise with Cody giving up his job and moving in , it certainly won't be a lonely winter ahead

It will be cozy, even with Andy there a lot.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I want cake now. Like, REALLY want cake. Cake with a milky hot Milo. MMMmmm...

Can't wait for Andy's Birthday. Very lucky lad indeed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

An ATV AND a Motorbike .... "Golly jee Auntie Mame, long pants!" LOL!!!! Andy is definitely never leaving their home now - especially with Cody home AND the toys to play with. So much fun reading this!  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

I want cake now. Like, REALLY want cake. Cake with a milky hot Milo. MMMmmm...

Can't wait for Andy's Birthday. Very lucky lad indeed.

😀 So you are a cake fan, I prefer pies. I'm sure the cake was delicious for Cody to brag about it. Andy is indeed a lucky lad, in more than one way.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Chris L said:

An ATV AND a Motorbike .... "Golly jee Auntie Mame, long pants!" LOL!!!! Andy is definitely never leaving their home now - especially with Cody home AND the toys to play with. So much fun reading this!  

Andy likes to be there,. not because of the ATV, but because he's gay. Cody and Alan are an example of a gay couple which Andy see's himself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Alan's dreams are becoming a reality.  Now about that lodge....

Yes, Alan now has his dream. The lodge ???? we'll see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Alan and Cody are good for each other but I also suspect that they will be good Andy, he needs someone he can trust and rely on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..